Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why did they think anyone even wanted the car instead of cool new twists on the awesome stealth and fighting mechanics people liked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

JT Jag posted:

Why, yes, Joker, I'm pretty sure this thread does remember Jason Todd.

Well, personally I don't. But I guess you are sharing his initials, so he might stick out a bit more for you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

They had the pieces they needed to utilize double predator, but they just didn't care to because they decided car was the big gimmick. Everytime I look at this game, I just seem to find new ways to despise the car.

They did "utilize" double predator- you saw the entirety of what could be done with it. It's free takedowns and alternating characters. It sounds cool on paper, but you can't do anything interesting with it when the other character is AI-controlled. Having a second character as an element of other predator behaviors, like your line takedown example, doesn't actually add anything, because they're either an obstacle to doing what you want, or not different in any way from what you could do without the second character. The most you can do beyond this is have a mark-enemy simultaneous takedown, but that's also basically a scripted situational thing that doesn't work well with mobile enemies.

Night10194 posted:

Why did they think anyone even wanted the car instead of cool new twists on the awesome stealth and fighting mechanics people liked?

They added a ton of new twists on the awesome stealth and fighting mechanics. The problem was that fear takedowns broke stealth and a variety of combat tools broke combat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ManlyGrunting posted:

What was the deal with Jason Todd that made him so hated, anyway? Was it just that he was a new Robin that wasn;t Dick Grayson or was he sort of insufferable?

He was a replacement to Dick Grayson and people at the time resented the change to formula, it was post crisis and they could easily have reverted Grayson to Batman's partner instead of being with the Titans(That, of course, would have been dumb, but hey, comics fans). They also set up the voting lines as 900 numbers so kids were basically precluded from voting, and angry adults could vote with their wallets. The fact that supposedly some people set up auto-dialers to flood the "Let him Die" number (spending $200 to do so) didn't help. The delta between "live" and "die" was less than 200 votes anyway so who knows.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Night10194 posted:

People had been demanding to drive the car since it briefly showed up in Asylum, and every time a new Arkham game came out people would be asking if this was finally the time that they would get to drive the Batmobile.

Because it's the Batmobile. It is the platonic ideal of a Cool Car. It doesn't seem like it would be so bad in this game if you didn't need it all the time, especially for those stupid APC chases.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So, was it just me, or did the statues at the studio entrance have Joker faces for a few seconds in the last video?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

YEAH! YOU DID IT COACH! OLIVER QUEEN! ;)

I'm surprised they left the older gentleman alone with a room full of Harley thugs.

I figure, since various thugs can quit and get hired by other villains, maybe Riddler is subcontracting out some Harley thugs to set up Riddler quizzes around town. Riddler gets his riddles put up in places twice as fast, and thugs get some extra booze money. Win-win!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I thought that was the explicitly said in this game by the cop and in AC/AO as to explain how those green guys know where the trophies are

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Yeah, but at the same time it's about 100x funnier to imagine Riddler doing all this work himself in a frantic MUST BEAT THE BATMAN architectural renovation rushjob.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Oh right, I forgot that Christina Bell got her obsessive manic love after she was trying to make a baby. That kinda put me on edge for the rest of the video, so I was paying particular attention to things like Harley referring to her as a 'girl', and that most of her characterisation was driven by petty capriciousness. They're reeeeeeally not doing great on writing women. Harley is about the only successful avoidance so far - I had discounted her presence in the DLC, because it's DLC, but she's actually showing more competence than pretty much any Batman villain in the series so far. It's a shame that Batman was 100% dismissive of the idea that she could be smarter than he gave her credit for, and that it's almost certainly going to turn out that Henry "HA" Adams did it all for her.

Also, unrelated, but I was watching the Arkham City LP - I never watched it before, I was pretty content to have simply played it all myself until I was bored this week - and I've gotta say, I'm really finding it difficult to believe that the League of Shadows did not save Talia, even with the cult of personality Ra's erected around himself. He ends that game skewered with his own sword and slammed into more pointy metal at high speed after falling from a high building, but he's given a dose of one of the Pits and is back up and running in this game to basically how he was at his introduction in City. Talia, by contrast, is just shot once with a run-of-the-mill handgun, but she's dead and buried instead, consigned to the bin.

I'm sure part of it is this weird idea that Guns That Fire Lead are the only things which kill people properly (Not Guns That Fire Rubber, Those Are Okay), but I find it difficult to believe that part of it isn't simply "Oh, she's just not as important a character as Ra's", despite the fact that she's one of the League's higher-ups, and their only real connection to Ra's' desired successor. A precursor Unfortunate Bat-Decision to the League of Shadows mission in Arkham Knight.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 17, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Kurieg posted:

He was a replacement to Dick Grayson and people at the time resented the change to formula, it was post crisis and they could easily have reverted Grayson to Batman's partner instead of being with the Titans(That, of course, would have been dumb, but hey, comics fans). They also set up the voting lines as 900 numbers so kids were basically precluded from voting, and angry adults could vote with their wallets. The fact that supposedly some people set up auto-dialers to flood the "Let him Die" number (spending $200 to do so) didn't help. The delta between "live" and "die" was less than 200 votes anyway so who knows.

Huh, that kind of sucks. At least we got Batman: Beneath the Red Hood out of it, never read the comic but the animated adaptation was excellent.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ManlyGrunting posted:

What was the deal with Jason Todd that made him so hated, anyway? Was it just that he was a new Robin that wasn;t Dick Grayson or was he sort of insufferable?

Jason was kind of a replacement for Dick because in an oddity for comics, Dick grew up into his own character. He grew out of being Robin and grew into discount Batman. But there's a rule with Batman, that he needs a Robin (usually), so he wasn't going to be without one for long. As Kurieg stated above, some comic fans and/or writers who used to be fans, hate change. Except when it ticks all their boxes, then change is good. Until it's not, and then it's reset time. Anyway, someone at DC at this time said Dick gets to go do his own thing ('cause Nightwing is going to be huge, mark my words) so Robin's going to be someone new. Someone different, because if it's the same as Dick, why not just make Dick, Robin again? (If we're being technical, originally Jason was a carbon copy - orphaned acrobat circus kid - but that was retconned pretty quickly)

Jason was weird, because right from the start, he was an odd choice for sidekick. For one, he wasn't an orphan. For another, the first time we see him, he's trying to steal the tires off the Batmobile. That's loving ballsy. I don't know if it was due to fans or just DC being DC, but the takeaway seemed to be "Dick Grayson was a goodie-two-shoes right up until he left to become Nightwing. What if he was a jerk from the start?" Jason didn't listen, he defied orders, he was hot headed, and probably killed a guy. Some fans (and possibly writers) said, "Why does this guy get to sass talk Batman like that? He's a bad example of a side kick, he's too independent. This needs to be fixed."

So it was kind of a mix between "He's not Dick Grayson, our golden boy" and "This guy is a douche bag, why is Batman putting up with his poo poo?"

And that's when the vote came in. Jason was killed off, and stayed dead for 17(?) years, because it happened before coming back from the dead was a regular occurrence. And also because nobody cared enough about him to bring him back.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

I kind of like how each Joker-lite is behind the corresponding door - Big Al, Christina Bell and Johnny Charisma

I just now picked up on Albert King, and Christina being an executive at Queen industries; that would make Johnny the Jack and Mr. Adams the Ace.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2016

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
Man, the jokerized Christina Bell section is super uncomfortable. Her swooning constantly and just of course she had a miscarriage ugh. Comics and writing women, woo :geno:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kurieg posted:

This is a fascinating case of nerds being terrible before the internet.Really auto dialers?

Also echoing the THE EDGE in Bell's backstory is stupid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CzarChasm posted:

Jason was kind of a replacement for Dick because in an oddity for comics, Dick grew up into his own character. He grew out of being Robin and grew into discount Batman. But there's a rule with Batman, that he needs a Robin (usually), so he wasn't going to be without one for long. As Kurieg stated above, some comic fans and/or writers who used to be fans, hate change. Except when it ticks all their boxes, then change is good. Until it's not, and then it's reset time. Anyway, someone at DC at this time said Dick gets to go do his own thing ('cause Nightwing is going to be huge, mark my words) so Robin's going to be someone new. Someone different, because if it's the same as Dick, why not just make Dick, Robin again? (If we're being technical, originally Jason was a carbon copy - orphaned acrobat circus kid - but that was retconned pretty quickly)

Jason was weird, because right from the start, he was an odd choice for sidekick. For one, he wasn't an orphan. For another, the first time we see him, he's trying to steal the tires off the Batmobile. That's loving ballsy. I don't know if it was due to fans or just DC being DC, but the takeaway seemed to be "Dick Grayson was a goodie-two-shoes right up until he left to become Nightwing. What if he was a jerk from the start?" Jason didn't listen, he defied orders, he was hot headed, and probably killed a guy. Some fans (and possibly writers) said, "Why does this guy get to sass talk Batman like that? He's a bad example of a side kick, he's too independent. This needs to be fixed."

So it was kind of a mix between "He's not Dick Grayson, our golden boy" and "This guy is a douche bag, why is Batman putting up with his poo poo?"

And that's when the vote came in. Jason was killed off, and stayed dead for 17(?) years, because it happened before coming back from the dead was a regular occurrence. And also because nobody cared enough about him to bring him back.

Tim Drake is definitely my favorite robin, though the portrayal of Damien in the new DC animated movies is pretty good as well.

PhazonLink posted:

This is a fascinating case of nerds being terrible before the internet.Really auto dialers?

People claim it but that's also from a time where actually proving that kind of thing is hard to do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On the topic of female characters

1. I am disappointed that Lady Shiva didn't show up for the Ra's al Ghul mission. Not sure if I said that already; if I did, it's still true. :argh:

2. What is up with Joker's goons always talking about how much they want to bone Harley? I mean, yes, we get it. Shut up already.

Anyway, the movie studio is one of the best parts of the game. I'm not sure whether that's because it's a segment of the game where you get to play as Batman and Robin together or (and this is the likelier reason) Rocksteady just put more love into this part because it's all about the Joker.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 17, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
There's a poster in BSS who loves Jason Todd, most other people are pretty indifferent to him. It wasn't just knee jerky 'it's not Dick Grayson' - people loved Tim Drake and Damian Wayne after all.

Harley's Revenge is canon to the main game right? Harley beat Nightwing in that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

IMJack posted:

I just now picked up on Albert King, and Christina being an executive at Queen industries; that would make Johnny the Jack and Mr. Adams the Ace.

An ace in the hole, you would say?
I think my favorite part about this section is that batman seems to have completely forgotten that earlier just this night, Adams was an unwilling prisoner screaming let me out and being held against his will. "Why sure mr. complete personality change, let me just leave you alone and unsupervised in my control center, your behavior isn't in the slightest way suspicious."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

An ace in the hole, you would say?
I think my favorite part about this section is that batman seems to have completely forgotten that earlier just this night, Adams was an unwilling prisoner screaming let me out and being held against his will. "Why sure mr. complete personality change, let me just leave you alone and unsupervised in my control center, your behavior isn't in the slightest way suspicious."

tbf I would absolutely expect a pissy but harmless old man to shut up and take orders when hit hits the fan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh hey look, another cute wink wink nudge nudge spoiler in a no spoiler LP

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Oh hey look, another cute wink wink nudge nudge spoiler in a no spoiler LP

:confused: how would someone know it's a spoiler unless someone pointed it out?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

:confused: how would someone know it's a spoiler unless someone pointed it out?
I'm watching this LP blind, so I can't be sure. It just looked like a "played this game before, let me point this out" post.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I'm watching this LP blind, so I can't be sure. It just looked like a "played this game before, let me point this out" post.

I think FoolyCharged is just pointing out how weird it is Batman went from trying to confine Adam to his cell or risk escaping to letting the old man free with the Bat computer at his whims too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

WFGuy posted:

Also, unrelated, but I was watching the Arkham City LP - I never watched it before, I was pretty content to have simply played it all myself until I was bored this week - and I've gotta say, I'm really finding it difficult to believe that the League of Shadows did not save Talia, even with the cult of personality Ra's erected around himself. He ends that game skewered with his own sword and slammed into more pointy metal at high speed after falling from a high building, but he's given a dose of one of the Pits and is back up and running in this game to basically how he was at his introduction in City. Talia, by contrast, is just shot once with a run-of-the-mill handgun, but she's dead and buried instead, consigned to the bin.

I'm sure part of it is this weird idea that Guns That Fire Lead are the only things which kill people properly (Not Guns That Fire Rubber, Those Are Okay), but I find it difficult to believe that part of it isn't simply "Oh, she's just not as important a character as Ra's", despite the fact that she's one of the League's higher-ups, and their only real connection to Ra's' desired successor. A precursor Unfortunate Bat-Decision to the League of Shadows mission in Arkham Knight.

She's not dead.

Quiet Python posted:

So, was it just me, or did the statues at the studio entrance have Joker faces for a few seconds in the last video?

Yes. Ever since Ace Chemicals, Joker will begin appearing in the background of Gotham. Almost every statue or sign can randomly change to his face, then revert when you look away. It gets steadily worse as the game continues, too.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

This game isn't Robin: Arkham Knight

I would not play that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pixeltendo posted:

I think FoolyCharged is just pointing out how weird it is Batman went from trying to confine Adam to his cell or risk escaping to letting the old man free with the Bat computer at his whims too.

Yeah, it's kind of coming across as a big flip turn in how batman treats him. Like I get that with the way the game literally told us that he is plot critical that he's probably gonna get kidnapped and/or stab batman in the back soon, but the way it's playing out so far is in such contradiction to when they first showed us him and batman interacting it just feels... off.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I just presumed Harley tagged the statues with the Joker-grin when she took over the movie studio.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I've never played the game, and I haven't read the comics either; I only have a passing familiarity with the lore because I am a nerd and have nerd friends. That said, the game is laying on some details and foreshadowing so goddamned thick that it's not really very spoilery to jump to the conclusions they're trying to boot you into. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they manage to avoid the temptation and have an actual twist at least once, but I'm not expecting it.

Also yes, comics-writing rears its head again. Was the miscarriage detail necessary? Does the mini-Joker obsessed with Batman HAVE to be the only lady? Alone, it wouldn't stand out so much, but well, as previous discussions that many are tired of have shown...

For the Batmobile video, were those Riddler challenge entrances closing up that I was occasionally seeing as you drove past? I'm not sure whether or not to be upset about that. Nigma's wormed himself into the background almost as aggressively as the Joker at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also yes, comics-writing rears its head again. Was the miscarriage detail necessary? Does the mini-Joker obsessed with Batman HAVE to be the only lady? Alone, it wouldn't stand out so much, but well, as previous discussions that many are tired of have shown...

At least it was a miscarriage and not an abortion? v:shobon:v Yeah this is bad.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Nigma's wormed himself into the background almost as aggressively as the Joker at this point.
Well, he is his one true nemesis after all. In these games Nigma seems to be by far the most competent, yet misguided villain. Like it's really ridiculous how much poo poo he gets done in a short time. It hasn't even been a day since the city was evacuated, but in that time he catched Catwoman, hired tons of minions to betray their psychotic leaders, built an army of robots, designed various racetracks, deathpuzzles and hundreds of trophy locations.
It was the same in city. He actually found out all of Stranges secrets and plans, while completely avoiding all of his security measures and only backed down because Strange actually knew the answer to his stupid biggest riddle.

If he wasn't so hung up on Batman, he'd be able to conquer the world in a week.
Is there a comic where Batman just straight up tells the Riddler who he is? It would completely destroy him and kill his drive to do anything. It's not like he's the type to share secrets.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Eddie figured it out in 'Hush', but Batman uses his neuroses against him by pointing out that if everybody knew it would stop being a riddle.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

Well, he is his one true nemesis after all. In these games Nigma seems to be by far the most competent, yet misguided villain. Like it's really ridiculous how much poo poo he gets done in a short time. It hasn't even been a day since the city was evacuated, but in that time he catched Catwoman, hired tons of minions to betray their psychotic leaders, built an army of robots, designed various racetracks, deathpuzzles and hundreds of trophy locations.
I'm pretty sure he did a lot of this way in advance. The racetracks probably took weeks, and the Riddler Thugs have always been on his payroll--- Batman identifies them based on who is a previous associate of his.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I thought having the miscarriage in the backstory was a callback to Joker's "one bad day" theory. Bell goes through a very personal trauma, needs a transfusion to save her life, and instead gets insanity literally pumped into her veins.

It is kind of weird that each patient gets a piece of the Joker rather than becoming a full-fledged Joker like they hint Batman is becoming. Big Al is his brutality, Bell his obsessions, and Johnny his ego. Bell talking about Batman saving her reminds me of how Joker reacted to Batman saving him in "Arkham Origins". "Why did he do that? Did no one tell him I'm the bad guy?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Air is lava! posted:

Is there a comic where Batman just straight up tells the Riddler who he is? It would completely destroy him and kill his drive to do anything. It's not like he's the type to share secrets.

You're not wrong.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You're not wrong.

Those last three physical expressions are prefect.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
One thing that's been bothering me about this depiction of Batman / the quality of the writing in general - his lines during the interrogations of thugs come across a lot less like "terror of the criminal underworld" (or even "frayed and harried Batman on the worst night of his life") and a lot more like "growly stupid bully."

I think Arkham Knight's making me like Batman less and less, you guys. :(

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

I think Arkham Knight's making me like Batman less and less, you guys. :(

Seriously. Practically all the love I have for the universe because of that awesome cartoon when I was a kid has dried up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The whole Joker blood turning people into mini-Jokers plot line really seems like it'd be better suited to a sillier Batman game, like a Batman '66 or Brave and the Bold inspired game. Because it's a very stupid thing to have happening in this grimdark Batman game, so on top of being annoyed at how they forced the Joker back into the game they did it in a way that conflicts with the tone they're trying to set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Seriously. Practically all the love I have for the universe because of that awesome cartoon when I was a kid has dried up.

Me,too. Hopefully that Killing Joke animated movie might turn out to be good? Maybe? :ohdear:

• Locked thread