Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Are mouth guards really effective in protecting your teeth?

I chipped my tooth on a taco once, if I had a mouth guard, wouldn't have happened....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr Interweb posted:

Are mouth guards really effective in protecting your teeth?

As a guy who doesn't wear a groin protector I always wear my mouth guard.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Yeah, I'd pick a mouth guard over a cup if I had to prioritize before any fight. I normally don't roll with a cup, but I generally wear a mouthpiece.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just wear a mouth guard. It's gonna cost you a fraction of what a new tooth is, and if you grapple/punchkick for more than a couple of years, you are going to take an accidental hard blow to the teeth that might gently caress your lovely smile up. Even a lovely £10 bit of plastic will mitigate that to an extent.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Syphilis Fish posted:

Yeah, I'd pick a mouth guard over a cup if I had to prioritize before any fight. I normally don't roll with a cup, but I generally wear a mouthpiece.

I'm unlikely to kick your balls out of your bag.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

de la peche posted:

I'm unlikely to kick your balls out of your bag.

People can also get really nasty infections from bite injuries.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's entirely possible that you could accumulate $5-10k worth of damage from a single bad knee or elbow, while a cheap mouthguard is $5-10.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've sparred a few rounds where I've forgotten to put my mouthguard in.
One of those rounds, I caught an accidental knee to the jaw (I was ducking in on my overhands and was getting read; he wanted to go to the body with the knee) and clacked my teeth together so hard that a chip came off the side of a molar:

(the yellowish diamond on the right)
e: thumbnailed to make it less (more?) nsfwish.

Fortunately it was completely away from the bite surface, so it only cost a couple hundred in deductible.
I'm sure I would have bit through my tongue if it had been in the way.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 12, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ugh chaeers for that picture

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I guess that answers my question.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've taken the threads advice from a while back and started keeping notes after each BJJ class. I certainly feel a lot more confident for doing it; I remember most of what I write down. I am hoping to get into the open mat stuff once I've gone through as much of the regular fundamentals course as I can (i.e. as soon as I have a class I've done before).

We had Braulio Estima doing a seminar for us on Saturday (I believe he trained our head instructor), which was lots of fun. Did a lot of stuff about breaking closed guards which I wasn't able to record, but drilled often enough that it's mostly stuck with me. Very friendly guy.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get to the open mat as soon as possible my dude

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've taken the threads advice from a while back and started keeping notes after each BJJ class.
Very cool, it definitely helps me. I added the John Will tip to this and write down my problems/stuff-that-needs-work in red.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

While we're talking about stuff that happened in the thread over a week ago, I've started to get back on the mat and I've been playing with Fatherdog's suggestion of d'arce -> half nelson -> armbar (which I've named the wacky d'arce bar because that overhooking armbar is wake gatame in judo). That half nelson turnover is like a 9/10 success from there, but I'm yet to get the armbar on a live opponent. After I tried it on him Tuesday, my instructor gave me a few adjustments for the armbar from that angle.

(I also got super close in one roll, twice, to choking out a purple belt. But he didn't tap and then he got out and then he choked me. :shobon: )

e. and I also now have a journal.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 14, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

While we're talking about stuff that happened in the thread over a week ago, I've started to get back on the mat and I've been playing with Fatherdog's suggestion of d'arce -> half nelson -> armbar (which I've named the wacky d'arce bar because that overhooking armbar is wake gatame in judo). That half nelson turnover is like a 9/10 success from there, but I'm yet to get the armbar on a live opponent. After I tried it on him Tuesday, my instructor gave me a few adjustments for the armbar from that angle.

That's actually a quarter-nelson turnover; half-nelson uses the other arm :eng101:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

That's actually a quarter-nelson turnover; half-nelson uses the other arm :eng101:

Every time you catch one of those nomenclature slips I bang my forehead against the desk and thank you inside my head.

It's extra appropriate this time because I spent last night's kids' class explaining how taking some effort to remember names can help us better see the differences in techniques (using de ashi harai and ko soto gari as an example - superficially identical throws which reveal tons of different contextual options once you think about their tiny differences)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got I love the names for judo techniques. Drop Seonagi (sp?) sounds and is cool as gently caress.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Got I love the names for judo techniques. Drop Seonagi (sp?) sounds and is cool as gently caress.

It is, especially if you go the left handed way if you're a right handed fighter. Gets em every time (by which i mean 0.001% of the time)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ICHIBAHN posted:

My biggest problem with Judo right now is my instructor has an insanely thick Arabic accent and when he speaks Japanese it's pretty much completely unintelligible. Makes it difficult to follow judo discussions and stuff because I know names like 'one arm shoulder throw' instead of...well, whatever the gently caress the move is actually called.

note that this is my biggest problem with judo because I don't know enough judo to actually have problems with judo

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 14, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sharzak posted:

My biggest problem with Judo right now is my instructor has an insanely thick Arabic accent and when he speaks Japanese it's pretty much completely unintelligible. Makes it difficult to follow judo discussions and stuff because I know names like 'one arm shoulder throw' instead of...well, whatever the gently caress the move is actually called.

note that this is my biggest problem with judo because I don't know enough judo to actually have problems with judo

ippon seoi nage, which literally means "one arm shoulder throw." Not to be confused with morote seoi nage, which is a cool beastmode throw, too, and a favourite against people who underestimate my strength. Still not as cool as ushiro goshi or ura nage (which most people here would just call suplexes of various sorts).

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

If you're just going for cool names I've always liked Yama Arashi (Mountain Storm). I haven't gotten around to working it so I'm not sure if I actually like the throw. Doesn't look bad though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Nothing has a cooler name than Jigoku Jime in any language

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

CommonShore posted:

ippon seoi nage, which literally means "one arm shoulder throw."

:science: one arm back carry throw.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

On a tangentially related point, while the leg attack ban is dumb (and there are rumors bubbling up of a possible reversion of the rule) there is something to be said about the aesthetic qualities of Judo and wanting to preserve it.

I mean come on, that's loving beautiful.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
but uchi matas will always be beautiful, leg grab rule or not.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Uchi mata, just sounds lovely

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Nothing has a cooler name than Jigoku Jime in any language

Ahh yes. The Hell Strangle.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

this?

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nah, more like this.
I think BJJ calls it a crucifix choke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

Nah, more like this.
I think BJJ calls it a crucifix choke.

Kinda but the judo Hell Choke involves grabbing both lappels in one hand.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

if the leg grab rule is intended to make judo aesthetically pleasing then why does sambo look awesome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

if the leg grab rule is intended to make judo aesthetically pleasing then why does sambo look awesome

I recently saw a good video of Neil Adams talking about this. It's less to make it look aesthetically pleasing than to make it a more vertically-postured sport which will look different from wrestling on olympic broadcasts. When leg grabs are legal, the sport becomes a low, wide, sprawly affair in many cases, and then it just looks like wrestling with pyjamas, or so the argument goes.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

So, about mouthguards. Do any of you guys use these weird bullshit looking Sisu guards? http://www.sisuguard.com/
I want to get a very good one(recommendations?) cuz I've got big teeth and receding gums, but I was thinking of getting a Sisu for the gf cuz she is very reluctant about wearing one but I've been trying to convince her that it's worth it. The Sisu looks like it's small enough to not be annoying and give adequate protection for rolling. Amazon reviews include pictures of broken teeth, however.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I recently bought one because people here recommended it, but haven't gotten around to try it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Omglosser posted:

So, about mouthguards. Do any of you guys use these weird bullshit looking Sisu guards? http://www.sisuguard.com/
I want to get a very good one(recommendations?) cuz I've got big teeth and receding gums, but I was thinking of getting a Sisu for the gf cuz she is very reluctant about wearing one but I've been trying to convince her that it's worth it. The Sisu looks like it's small enough to not be annoying and give adequate protection for rolling. Amazon reviews include pictures of broken teeth, however.

Haven't tried one myself, but there are several people at my gym that love them and have been preaching their virtues. Its probably the one I'll try next after I inevitably lose my custom.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I have one and think it's quite good. I've taken some serious accidental knees and come or without anything more than a bloody lip so that's good enough for me. I don't expect my mouth guard to protect me from complete facial devastation like some of the people in those reviews though, so YMMV.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Thanks guys, I'll give them a shot. Beats nothing at the very least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Omglosser posted:

I want to get a very good one(recommendations?) cuz I've got big teeth and receding gums
If you can afford it, have your dentist make one. People here have said it can't be covered by insurance, that it costs $200, or in my case, a lot more. I also had very good results with a Gladiator Pro, where you make an impression mold yourself.

quote:

but I was thinking of getting a Sisu for the gf cuz she is very reluctant about wearing one

I'm not sure that thinness really addresses that reluctance? Protecting your teeth seems like a straightforward tradeoff for having some rubber wedged in your mouth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

If you can afford it, have your dentist make one. People here have said it can't be covered by insurance, that it costs $200, or in my case, a lot more. I also had very good results with a Gladiator Pro, where you make an impression mold yourself.

I'm not sure that thinness really addresses that reluctance? Protecting your teeth seems like a straightforward tradeoff for having some rubber wedged in your mouth.

My insurance covered 97% of the cost of my mouthguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

She doesn't like the idea of wearing one but I was trying to say that the Sisu might be a good start because it's advertised as being the least restrictive and smallest, making it the least annoying for someone to wear. But if it turned out to be a bullshit sales hook that offered little or no protection I was just gonna skip it and press her to get a regular one.

• Locked thread