Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

:mad: wow excuuuuse me

Vague spoiler safe for you to read:

it's more that he's impulsive than flat out stupid but yes, this comes up with him. Sometimes it works to his advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

I miss your old av

Yo, Angelo!

I miss it too, it had a profound influence on my posting I feel

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't be so mean about Okuyasu.

He may be less intelligent but he is not fair game like Kakyoin

Actually his stand is loving amazing compared to kakyoin, he's really on the level with Josuke in terms of stand power, I'm not saying he's incompetent, I'm just hoping that he'll be super dumb and in your face like this cause it's entertaining.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DORARARARA all who insult Okuyasu

but yes he stays the same

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Al-Saqr posted:

The only thing I know so far through cultural osmosis

You mean the op? :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Both Okuyasu and Kakyoin are good, pure boys. Kakyoin's a little bit better at using his head, but they both try their best

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Please don't bully Okuyasu, he does the best he can

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Both Okuyasu and Kakyoin are good, pure boys. Kakyoin's a little bit better at using his head, but they both try their best

Kakyoin thought he was good at video games and could gently caress with my main man DIO and got owned he's objectively the dumbest

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You mean the op? :v:

No I mean reading an Araraki artbook and seeing them together, not to mention I accidentally saw that ITS IN THE PASTA! *PUNCH* manga panel somewhere and I have no clue what's it about but I'm super excited to find out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Okuyasu is just A Good Boy Who Has Made Bad Choices

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kakyoin thought he was good at video games and could gently caress with my main man DIO and got owned he's objectively the dumbest
Kakyoin showed us he was a very smart boy in Grey Fly, Wheel of Fortune, Hanged Man and Death 13, please do not disparage the good dead.

Also his plan to figure out DIO's Stand 100% worked like he knew it would.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

All I know about Okuyasu from osmosis is that he cries dramatically, often.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He should have died on the plane home from Egypt after getting his fleshbud.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Started to read part 7.

:allears: :allears: :allears: I can't enter the manga thread since I haven't read other parts yet, and I can't say anything here lest I spoil something, so I'll just say that I'm enjoying it a lot.

Question about part 4--does the Yo Angelo thing ever come up again?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^^^ Spoiler I guess Not at all, Angelo is a just landmark until the heat death of the universe.

Maybe, but having the entire group die to a small fly on their way to Egypt would have been a very controversial choice

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kakyoin and Okuyasu are my strong, smart, perfect sons and I won't hear a word against either

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Something something more like Cuckyoin am i right

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I want to see the version of SDC where Kakyoin dies to the flesh bud and Tower of Grey joins their group after being beaten.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

All y'all who are hating on my main man Kakyoin need to get out. :colbert:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yo Angelo!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

:mad: wow excuuuuse me

Vague spoiler safe for you to read:

it's more that he's impulsive than flat out stupid but yes, this comes up with him. Sometimes it works to his advantage.

This, and I think someone upthread may have said it but in the same vein of the vague safe spoiler

the blinders around his Stand's eyes are a hint at this. He's like a friend that can have anger management issues but isn't evil.

Lots more spoilery for the next episode: actually reflecting back on SDC now, I think Okuyasu's transition to BroJo is more interesting than Polnareff's because there's no magic flesh bud that absolves him of responsibility for his actions. He looked up to his brother and followed him because he had nobody else, they were working to help their dad, and even admits his brother wasn't a good person when he dies. Character development rules. I still love Polnareff and SDC but, yeah.

e:

Al-Saqr posted:

No I mean reading an Araraki artbook and seeing them together, not to mention I accidentally saw that ITS IN THE PASTA! *PUNCH* manga panel somewhere and I have no clue what's it about but I'm super excited to find out.

You should be, I can't wait for that episode GOD I love this drat show.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yo Angelo

Last Train Home is still really drat good.

That's all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Okuyasu is just A Good Boy Who Has Made Bad Choices

Okuyasu is just a good boy who hangs out with Bad Company

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Give me a round of applause, all you idiots of the world.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

...okay that was pretty good :golfclap:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Schwarzwald posted:

Okuyasu is just a good boy who hangs out with Bad Company

:frogout:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Fiend Computer posted:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
imagine if Kakyoin had survived Part 3 and he could've relations with Joseph's daughter and also his mistress

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Okuyasu is the kinda guy that likes to go with his gut, while Kakyoin is more the opposite.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sam Faust posted:

Okuyasu is the kinda guy that likes to go with his gut, while Kakyoin is more the opposite.

Dio made good use of his guts.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

loving. NICE. Love the cuck meme bro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Same but genuinely because it actually makes people mad somehow. It owns.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

loving. NICE. Love the cuck meme bro.

me too

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm not sure how much I count in either direction as an "anime person" versus a "manga person"; I've read all of parts two, three, and six, then dropped JoJo for a while until the release of the David series because of how much I disliked the ending of Stone Ocean (and because I wanted to read a better version of part five which never really materialized). My first exposure to Araki and JoJo in particular was the PSX fighting game, which I got from a Blockbuster because of the sheer insanity of its title - "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future" is amazing levels of word salad, and I'm a fighting game junkie so the Capcom brand inspired me to pick it up. The game probably inordinately influenced which characters I liked when I went back and (re?)visited the series at a later date, but otherwise I didn't know poo poo from Shinola until being subjected to memes and anime friends never shutting up about JoJo, at which point I caved in and started plowing through the manga.

It's pretty incredible how influential the series is, and once I went through it I had cause to second-guess all sorts of choices in posing (and references, and jokes) that would crop up in other works that JoJo predates pretty comfortably. The Persona games hedge so closely to concepts in JoJo that I'm shocked legal action wasn't taken. And there are things that I like a lot about the franchise, particularly its creative use of weird powers and neat-o art direction and style. If asked directly I would state definitively that I Like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure™ and, like most of the fiction I consume, I try to have a sophisticated opinion about it if I feel like it's worth talking about, and JoJo falls into that category for me. That said - and this isn't meant as an indictment of this thread (at all) but is more a general observation, so this isn't like a callout of anyone in particular - this series has probably the most insufferable fanbase I've ever had cause to interact with outside of maybe Homestuck? Like it's super bad.

I'm not sure what to do with all those words I wrote up above, but I guess it's more like "that's my JoJo story, ha ha"

Part four so far seems good; I'm hesitant to do things like rank the parts in some arbitrary order, because they all seem to have certain objective qualities that transcend subjective taste (you can not like a thing and still recognize that it is masterfully made and/or crafted), but I'd say that it's off to a better start in animation than part three was. I have no manga experience to compare it to, but I assume they're moving at a pretty good clip - Grampa is introduced, has I think like eight lines, is summarily murdered, and then also avenged in the course of like forty-five minutes of screen time, so it's close to that edge of feeling hurried without yet crossing into that, at least for me. I find it interesting that so far, the chief emotions/reactions that the JoJos themselves illustrate are a pick-two of anger, righteous indignation, or mild indifference, and these displays usually punctuate periods of a general laziness, and that they are always the reactions. Josuke apparently had weekly games of who-can-scare-who-the-hardest with his grampa that were apparently so intense that the old guy felt perfectly justified holding a realistic replica firearm to Josuke's dome, and then each of them wrote it off as a good and winning ploy - so they're close, naturally. But at least in episode two, the immediate reaction is an almost creepy anger from Josuke when the old man gets killed, and there's no time spent on grief or even visible sadness. This is not really a criticism so much as it is an observation, as well, although I'm kinda hoping that Josuke is less of the "always cool under fire" archetype that defined Jotaro almost to the point of absurdity and then boredom in part three. Joseph is my favorite Joestar in large part because he's animated and dynamic, and while I tried to skip over parts of the thread that talked about future parts or what to expect from part four, I remember a remark about Josuke being a sort of amalgamation of previous protagonists; so here's hoping he does something like use the Joestar family's secret technique, or get to act like a geek/idiot/whatever outside of his weird idiosyncrasy about being afraid of turtles.

Although I did really like the part wherein Jotaro tries to console (kinda?) Josuke after the death of his grandfather. The way that they interacted with each other in episode 1 was also pretty satisfying, and I think Jotaro will be much more palatable as a stern Obi-Wan than as the central figure who's expected to carry the narrative. I'm not necessarily in favor of singular versus ensemble character focuses, but Joseph felt like he was depicted strongly enough to where you could have an interesting story that was essentially all about him, with some added window dressing of cool supplementary characters like Lisa Lisa and Caesar and Wham, and Jotaro - to me - definitely did not; he needed to be part of a larger central cast to help carry some of those middle episodes.

loving love the OP and "I Want You" was an ear worm twenty years ago so why stop now right, like jesus christ it just never ends, ooh i want you i don't know if i need you but ooh i'd die to find out ooh i want you i don't know if i need you but ooh i'd die to find out ooh i

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 18, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not sure how much I count in either direction as an "anime person" [editing huge post out]

The fanbase thing isn't really a secret.
Not judging but how did you manage to read only 2, 3 and 6?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The fanbase thing isn't really a secret.
Not judging but how did you manage to read only 2, 3 and 6?

Based purely on recommendations and the quality of translations that existed when I read the manga - which was... I forget? A decent amount of time ago. I also got the gist of the episodic nature of the parts as soon as I finished part two; I figured that reading parts I hadn't gotten to yet at a later date, I'd get that Arrested Development type feeling where jokes make sense well after the fact, or references, or whatever. Then I just never finished the "go back and read the other parts" segment of that plan. I intend to give it another try soon, but I'll likely start with a re-read of licensed stuff to support publishers/Araki/whatever and hopefully by the time I get through 1-3 part 4 will be localized officially? If not I can just re-read Berserk. :<

Also, I mean, I don't think the problem is inherent to anime or to JoJo specifically but yeah it's a super alienating experience to deal with the fanbase, which winds up having you (the royal you I mean) holding other people accountable for stuff they didn't even do. Like, it makes remarks that someone might have made innocuously inspire these bitter reactions, or to have people just not even try to engage.

Also also, the inevitable Quad City DJs vs Savage Garden ED doesn't seem as good as Bloody Slam, but I'm biased

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The issue is there really isn't anything quite like JoJos, and it's been amazingly fresh and interesting for 30 years. Like part 8, running now, is easily as good as anything he's ever done. There aren't a lot of writers and artists, period, who can keep things this good for this long. It can get people a bit....evangelical about it. You just have to nod your head and quietly accept that JoJos does terrible things to a person, but it's worth it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJo only makes people better.

Some fall off the righteous path and start liking Kakyoin though. (We call them Sith, they made a film about it)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Boogaleeboo posted:

The issue is there really isn't anything quite like JoJos, and it's been amazingly fresh and interesting for 30 years.

And yet, there's still Not Enough Jojo's.

I'd rather have not enough of a great thing, than too much of a poo poo thing, though. You do you, Araki, you've done so good to this point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's not something unique to Jojo; pretty much any fandom will end up like that once it grows large enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJonies*

dakedo kyo mo jojo niiii~
monku nanka iiatte
nichijo o odoruuuuu

• Locked thread