Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I was just imagining a guy who worships one of the Fire pantheon's martial gods, like Avivorus or Urengerum, getting fed up with Lunar bullshit because he's realized that it's tainted with Chaos, and more importantly, it's not traditional, god damnit. So he decides, "gently caress it, at least the degenerate Orlanthi barbarians hate this Red Emperor as much as I do and they're the only ones trying to do anything about him, so I'll suck it up and see if they'll help me overthrow this unkillable prick so that a proper Yelm-loving Emperor can take the throne."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SunAndSpring posted:

I was just imagining a guy who worships one of the Fire pantheon's martial gods, like Avivorus or Urengerum, getting fed up with Lunar bullshit because he's realized that it's tainted with Chaos, and more importantly, it's not traditional, god damnit. So he decides, "gently caress it, at least the degenerate Orlanthi barbarians hate this Red Emperor as much as I do and they're the only ones trying to do anything about him, so I'll suck it up and see if they'll help me overthrow this unkillable prick so that a proper Yelm-loving Emperor can take the throne."

Well it sort of depends on the Solar bloke, because the Red Emperor is still the Dara Happa one, he still completed the trials after all.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Well, yeah that kind of stuff starts happening during the Hero Wars. Quite a decent number of King Argrath's allies are, in fact, Pelorian.

Hell, his Fertility companion (Or at least one of them. Argrath kind of goes through a lot of heroic companions during his life. Those people have a very, very high attrition rate) at some point is Annstad of Dunstop, who is both an initiate of Orlanth and of the Red Goddess, and was born and raised in a Lunar household in Tarsh.

As for Dayzatar - yes, it could be possible to associate him with some kind of Solar mysticism, but you have to remember - he is so high up and removed that not even his brother Yelm can really reach him, let alone mere mortals. Most Solar mysticism actually comes from Nysalor instead.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Was there no tradition of Solar mysticism during the First age? Prior to the sunstop that is?

I mean I know that they were dominated by the Pure Horse tribes, who would eventually become the Pentan Nomads, but it would surprise me to know that the Dara Happas would turn down any magic in an effort to stop getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Avivorus, also called Hastatus, would probably be your man, as he is the holder of the Sunspear. He in fact gained his position on the solar pantheon by loosing this weapon against the foul Emperor Orogoros. This same feat was performed in later times to depose Son of Evil, Eater of Flesh, and Kills for Life.

If any solar cultist would oppose the Emperor, it'd probably a follower of Avivorus. Of course, even then he's probably going to be distrusted by both sides. But that's the kind of thing that makes you a hero.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I recall seeing claims to the effect that at one point then-canon was that Yelm had runes of Fire, Life, Death (and in fact the pelorian term translated as emperor more accurately translated to "master of life and death" or something along those lines) which would certainly imply a philosophical basis for a native Solar mystic tradition, but Fire, Stasis, Mastery doesn't really have the same effect.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

I recall seeing claims to the effect that at one point then-canon was that Yelm had runes of Fire, Life, Death (and in fact the pelorian term translated as emperor more accurately translated to "master of life and death" or something along those lines) which would certainly imply a philosophical basis for a native Solar mystic tradition, but Fire, Stasis, Mastery doesn't really have the same effect.

Ooh that would be interesting. I wonder if that was before or after he got ventilated by Rebellius Terminus.

I've been reading a little bit on Esrolia of late, just got the 10,000 goddesses book, and one thing I notice that I particularly liked was how they made the same distinctions between how things work in practice and how things work in theory. The idea in theory would make Esrolia a far better place to live than Sartar, but frequently getting pushed around by absurdly ambitious grandmothers idn't anyone's idea of a good time.

I also really liked the story of The Only Old One and his defence of Esrolia. He seemed like too cool a guy to just get murdered.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is this a good thread to discuss using HeroQuest for non-Glorantha settings? Specifically Amber in this case... I would love to run a game, but not with the Wujcik RPG and I'm not a huge fan of FATE. (GURPs and Hero System are right out.) HeroQuest has been fun the couple of chances I've had to play (both non-Glorantha as well) and I remember reading a Stormbringer/Elric! game run using HeroQuest that seemed to work well.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Go for it!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So my challenge is with the development of genre packs. The obvious equivalents of cultural keywords are Amber, Chaos, and maybe Shadow. (I could also include Rebma or Golden Circle as subsets of Amber, I suppose.) But I wonder if I should roll occupations into the cultural ones. Most PCs would be presumed to be proficient at a robust amount of things as a matter of course.

Or I could write up nontraditional occupations like Master of the Forest, Admiral of Amber, Exiled To Shadow, Hellmaiden, Dworkin's Apprentice, etc.

Magic is the other main issue. I think I've got a handle on writing up Pattern and Logrus, but I'm not sure whether being general or specific with the abilities would play better. I would default to general, but my experience with the Wujcik game is that players wind up with conflicting interpretations if it's too vague.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ibntumart posted:

So my challenge is with the development of genre packs. The obvious equivalents of cultural keywords are Amber, Chaos, and maybe Shadow. (I could also include Rebma or Golden Circle as subsets of Amber, I suppose.) But I wonder if I should roll occupations into the cultural ones. Most PCs would be presumed to be proficient at a robust amount of things as a matter of course.

Or I could write up nontraditional occupations like Master of the Forest, Admiral of Amber, Exiled To Shadow, Hellmaiden, Dworkin's Apprentice, etc.

Magic is the other main issue. I think I've got a handle on writing up Pattern and Logrus, but I'm not sure whether being general or specific with the abilities would play better. I would default to general, but my experience with the Wujcik game is that players wind up with conflicting interpretations if it's too vague.

Why not let the players have breakouts for their points of conflict in their interpretations?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kibner posted:

Why not let the players have breakouts for their points of conflict in their interpretations?

I would like to avoid the confusion in the first place. Breakout abilities where a PC can do something new or especially well are good, though.

Essentially, the Pattern Imprint would give a PC three main things: the ability to walk through Shadow, i.e., travel through infinite alternate universes; the ability to find almost anything you want while so traveling; and the ability to alter probability in minor ways in your current Shadow. I can see breakouts such as being able to weave something out of Shadow into what you want as opposed to searching for it. Or adding some of the Advanced Pattern stuff Wujcik made up.

As another example, Trump Artist would at its core just have one ability: creating Trumps (illustrated cards that allow contact or travel with the person or place depicted). A PC could have a Trump sketch breakout ability whereby he or she can do a rough illustration by memory and use it a couple of times...but maybe it's more reasonable to assume any Trump Artist is potentially able to.

My bigger concern is whether I'm just overthinking this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aren't breakouts more specific areas that you happen to be better at? Like, earth rune 2WW-> make the earth open up and swallow someone +3. Or, my magic sword tyrfang 1W, cut arrows out of the air+2.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

There is also a bonus for using specific abilities against broad ones, beyond the specific ability probably being a couple of points higher.

Using a broad or specific ability may, depending on the situation, incur a penalty or bonus to your roll, which is why characters in HQ are encouraged to have break out abilities and not just get "Good at Fighting 12W" and just use that for every single thing they do.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

wiegieman posted:

Aren't breakouts more specific areas that you happen to be better at? Like, earth rune 2WW-> make the earth open up and swallow someone +3. Or, my magic sword tyrfang 1W, cut arrows out of the air+2.

I thought breakout abilities are also used to allow specific and direct use of Runes, even though PCs normally can only use them for augmenting rolls (unless they're an initiate of an appropriate cult).

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

I thought breakout abilities are also used to allow specific and direct use of Runes, even though PCs normally can only use them for augmenting rolls (unless they're an initiate of an appropriate cult).

Kind of. In HQ:G you can use your Rune ability to produce obvious supernatural effects only in two ways:
1. If you are initiated into a cult which grants you magic relating to that ability, or
2. If you have a break out from under that rune, and that breakout is a supernatural ability.

So, for example, let's say you want a character who can breath out freezing winds. One way of doing it would be to have the character be an initiate of Orlanth. Since the runes associated with Orlanth are Storm, Mastery and Movement, this means that your character can use his Storm 3W rating to just breath out freezing gales with a roll of his Storm rune - it's an effect that is within the domain of the deity he is initiated to. If he was an initiate of, say, Storm Bull though, that wouldn't work. Storm Bull still gives you Air magic, but he is the dry and acidic desert storm of Prax, so your character wouldn't be able to breath frosty Northern winds with his Storm ability.

The second way of doing this is to have it as a breakout:
Storm 3W
* Frost Breath +1

In this case the character could be, say, an initiate of Humakt through his Truth and Death runes, but still be able to breath freezing winds. Why? Who knows, it's up to you! Maybe it's a magical ability he was born with. Maybe it's actually a charm or spell he knows. Maybe he was thought how to do it by an Orlanthi holy man as a youth, in exchange for some great service he did for him.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Like the kings of one tribal confederation who can all breathe fire instead of wind despite being devout Orlanthi.

Speaking of Devout Orlanthi I am thinking of running a quick thing of "lets see if we can make up cool characters for HQ: Glorantha" thing to teach me how to do it well and see if I can use it for making a game on here, any idea as to where I should put that?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Josef bugman posted:

Like the kings of one tribal confederation who can all breathe fire instead of wind despite being devout Orlanthi.

Speaking of Devout Orlanthi I am thinking of running a quick thing of "lets see if we can make up cool characters for HQ: Glorantha" thing to teach me how to do it well and see if I can use it for making a game on here, any idea as to where I should put that?

Seeing as I would love to see more posts in this thread, I think doing it here would be fine. Could make for some good discussion, too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, well the initial idea is to have the game set in the immediate aftermath of Sartars apotheosis. The only difference is that in this Glorantha Sartar arrived a little bit earlier. In this case, he gained Godhood in 1460, at the same time as the Red Emperor defeated Sheng Seleris.

So, Tarsh has not fallen into Lunar hands, the Red Emperor is vigorious but attempting to revitalise his shattered Empire and Hon-Eel has yet to make her first moves.

The initial idea for the game would be one based around cementing the rule of the Satarite princes, dealing with neighbouring nations and seeing if you can have a bit of an impact on the prophecies of doom that are coming up a lot.

Also see if you can be an ancestor to Argath, bwhahahaha.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, that sounds cool. So you would like people to submit some character ideas and/or actual characters? Anything specific you're looking for?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Could somebody either point me in the direction of a big writeup of Shen Seleris or give me a breakdown of him? I've read bits and pieces about him here in the thread, but he seems like pretty much the most metal person in Gloranthan history, and I want to get a handle on what exactly his whole deal is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

Could somebody either point me in the direction of a big writeup of Shen Seleris or give me a breakdown of him? I've read bits and pieces about him here in the thread, but he seems like pretty much the most metal person in Gloranthan history, and I want to get a handle on what exactly his whole deal is.

I actually sperged out a bit on Sheng in this post. It's covered better in the Guide if you feel like shelling out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jenx posted:

Okay, that sounds cool. So you would like people to submit some character ideas and/or actual characters? Anything specific you're looking for?

Either is good, I wanted to make sure that I am understanding how HQ works in practice and if I could run it as a PbP or in real life.

Zodiac5000 posted:

When the Red moon rose into the sky in 1247 an almost unknown boy among the Pentan Nomads swore that he would strike at it and ascend into the heavens to meet it. That boy was ArgartuSay, who became a famous warleader among the folk of that land and lead a great war party to pillage the far eastern territory of Kralorea. Whilst their he chose to challenge the Dragon Emperor to combat for the empire itself. He failed miserably, and was imprisoned by the Dragon Emperor Godyuna. He remained imprisoned for a century, learning miracles and mystic insights that should have taken far longer to learn. He was beaten with iron and caged until eventually he achieved illumination. In that moment he was offered a choice, ascend from this world of illusion that he found himself in and glimpse truth or rule the world of illusion. ArgartuSay chose the later and so renamed himself Sheng Seleris. The Pain Star.

He then broke free of the jail of the dragon emperor and passed through Boshan province, doing great miracles to all who wished it. He then went into the wastelands of Pent and united the disparate tribes under him into a single Empire with a single creed "All life is Slavery". With this truth he forged a bond among his allies who became both extensions of him and terrifyingly powerful mystics in their own right. He then went and challenged the Dragon Emperor a second time, murdering so many people in the provinces he attacked that rivers ran red with blood and human fat pooled in the streets. He fought the dragon emperor and again lost. He had sworn that he would do no damage if he would lost against the dragon emperor a second time. He did not keep his promise and so left the seed of his own destruction.

Sheng then decided to head West, and fell upon the Lunar Empire with force unrivalled. He killed thousands, laying waste to the vast metropolises of the heartlands and burning vast territories. He killed the Red emperor on multiple occasions, even doing so with such force that the emperor can no longer return as himself and must now where Masks in order to survive. He left three great strike marks upon the red moon itself and recruited as many mages, priests and sorcerors to help him win against the Dragon Emperor. Finally on the third attempt he succeeded, shattering the dragon emperor and putting him to flight. The level of desolation in Kralorea was immense, only a few truly titanic individuals could hope to survive Shengs Fury.

Dara Happa attempted to rebel and Sheng returned, leading to another wave of annihilation across central Genertela. But this time the Lunars had a plan. They were creating a new aspect of Sedenya the Red moon, a new goddess to strike at Sheng specifically (aided, in the Kralorean account, by the broken oath that Sheng had made against the Dragon Emperor). At this point Sheng was at the height of his powers. He was verging on Godhood, and more than that had enough power to cause a star to ascend into the sky to strike at the Red Moon directly.

Then it all went horribly wrong for him. The new goddess and the Red Emperor both summoned their greatest powers and forced him to battle. And he lost truly lost and was dragged screaming to the deepest part of the Lunar Hells. To a hell that had been built for him and him alone to cage the wrath of the Pain Star.

This is but a taste of the Devestation that he shall unleash upon his escape. He shall shatter the red moon, devour the emperor and crack worlds asunder. He is Sheng Seleris! The Pain Star! THE LORD OF OCCLUSION!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 22, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How seriously do most people take the idea that Moonson has "masks" and isn't just a bunch of different guys?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

How seriously do most people take the idea that Moonson has "masks" and isn't just a bunch of different guys?

Depends on the person, I think its a combination of "yes we sort of know" and "No, he is both one and the same as the first but also not".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Depends on the person, I think its a combination of "yes we sort of know" and "No, he is both one and the same as the first but also not".

Haha, but I really meant "people here on these forums" and not "people in Glorantha."

Different books seem to take different religions different degrees of seriously. I actually found this to be kind of a turn-off in the Guide, which seems to take everybody's portrait of themselves at face value, including things like "Moonson's only concern is the pleasure of his people."

It wasn't until I read some of the no-longer-canon books that I learned that for at least one author this actually meant "Moonson is high and having sex with somebody at 100% of all times."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Well its up to your interpretation, but yeah I get what you mean. We are kind of reading the travelogue equivalent of the Lunar Empire, where the Crimson Bat is just something that happened a while ago etc.

And I think it is a nice thing to go YGWV about. I'd personally have it being that it's a different person but they can sometimes become the mask if they complete the right rituals. I also prefer the Jar-Eel that is a bit more human than the "very close to actually being the red moon" demigoddess in Jenx's comic.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 22, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of no-longer-in-print books, where exactly does all the God Learner and Second Age stuff come from? I'm a little confused about the whole publication history of the setting.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Red Emperor is a lot like Belintar. People who knew multiple incarnations report him knowing things that only the other incarnation could know.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of no-longer-in-print books, where exactly does all the God Learner and Second Age stuff come from? I'm a little confused about the whole publication history of the setting.

They have a Stafford library book on it called the middle sea Empire available of Drivethrurpg.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Moonson is, and always has been, a divine being, a living demi-god. So yeah, I'd buy it that it's just different incarnations/masks of his being after Sheng Seleris broke-him-properly-for-real-this-time.

We also should remember that the emperor of the Lunar Empire and the Moonson are not, technically, always the same thing...they just happened to be for several hundred years. As the Hero Wars rage on, Jar-eel and Great Sister will try and repair the damage done to the Lunar Empire both from within and from outside, by sacrificing the Red Emperor, and instead getting a mortal (the then-captain of the Lunar Coders) instated as the emperor as well. And no bullshit Dara Happan Solar Emperor tests to prove anything either, it's clear that system just up and failed.

This will not save them, of course.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Thanks a ton! This stuff is awesome.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

They have a Stafford library book on it called the middle sea Empire available of Drivethrurpg.

Yeah, I have that but it seems like at some point there was actual published material?

And a book about Malkioni which has been taken down forever, sadly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jenx posted:

Moonson is, and always has been, a divine being, a living demi-god. So yeah, I'd buy it that it's just different incarnations/masks of his being after Sheng Seleris broke-him-properly-for-real-this-time.

We also should remember that the emperor of the Lunar Empire and the Moonson are not, technically, always the same thing...they just happened to be for several hundred years. As the Hero Wars rage on, Jar-eel and Great Sister will try and repair the damage done to the Lunar Empire both from within and from outside, by sacrificing the Red Emperor, and instead getting a mortal (the then-captain of the Lunar Coders) instated as the emperor as well. And no bullshit Dara Happan Solar Emperor tests to prove anything either, it's clear that system just up and failed.

This will not save them, of course.

At that point nothing would have done. It must come as a rather nasty shock that when you try and change the world and then suddenly the world pushes back all of a sudden.

Also to all the people here, would any of you like to add in a cool character idea for the game I mentioned? If only to see if I could make it myself.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

At that point nothing would have done. It must come as a rather nasty shock that when you try and change the world and then suddenly the world pushes back all of a sudden.

Also to all the people here, would any of you like to add in a cool character idea for the game I mentioned? If only to see if I could make it myself.

Maybe an Orlanthi who got in a mutually-lethal fight with a dragonnewt, only to find himself hatching out of a dragonnewt egg instead?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

Maybe an Orlanthi who got in a mutually-lethal fight with a dragonnewt, only to find himself hatching out of a dragonnewt egg instead?

That... Would be tricky now that I come to think of it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
An initiate of Vinga who comes from a union of a worshiper of Vinga and a worshiper of Ernalda and Hero-questing shenanigans.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I have that but it seems like at some point there was actual published material?
The History of the Middle Sea Empire (the Stafford Library book) is the source material for most of what is official about the Second Age. There's some material about the EWF in the History of the Heortling People (another Stafford book). This (along with some other unpublished stuff) became the basis for the material in the Guide to Glorantha.

There was a fair amount of God Learner/Second Age stuff (including an entire hardcover book about the GLs titled "The Abiding Book") published by Mongoose for their version of RuneQuest, but it's not canonical any more (and barely was when it was published).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FMguru posted:

There was a fair amount of God Learner/Second Age stuff (including an entire hardcover book about the GLs titled "The Abiding Book") published by Mongoose for their version of RuneQuest, but it's not canonical any more (and barely was when it was published).

Ah, okay. What's the story on the Mongoose material for Glorantha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Neopie posted:

An initiate of Vinga who comes from a union of a worshiper of Vinga and a worshiper of Ernalda and Hero-questing shenanigans.

pre:
Voranth Two Mothers.
Player Name: NeoPie
Campaign: Sartar Starts Early
Runes:
Air- 17
+1 Jump shield walls- (ability)
Movement - 7W
Initiate of Vinga
+1 Stead Defender -(ability)
Life- 17

Supporting Character
Anthalos- Earthern Storm
Air- 1W
+1 Throw projectiles back
Earth- 1 W
+1 Ground Flying Enemies
Concerned- 14

Defining Characteristic: Child of Two Mothers: 17
Occupational Keyword: Warrior (Heavy Infantry): 17
Cultural Keyword: Heortling: 13
Community: Balmyr Tribe: 13
Flaws:
Hated by Esrolian Grandmothers 7W
Annoying Troll Suitors 7W
2 remaining abilities to be spent and 0 additional points. Look good?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread