Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Viller posted:

Because its things like that that put asses into seats, quite simply.

Are they concerned people aren't going to be interested in the next Star Wars? We're at least six years out from widespread Star Wars fatigue setting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Viller posted:

Because its things like that that put asses into seats, quite simply.

Mick Foley confirmed for Episode VIII.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toilet Mouth posted:

Are they concerned people aren't going to be interested in the next Star Wars? We're at least six years out from widespread Star Wars fatigue setting in.

It's because the lesson they learned from ESB is "have a great twist".

In general, if your movie relies on twists, it's not that good. That's actually a strength of TFA: no one cares about "Han Solo dies" because it was immediately obvious that the movie was all about passing on to a newer generation.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Rey is Jar Jar's anal birth poopclone.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I saw this theory come up earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering whether everyone agrees it makes the most sense:

Rey wasn't abandoned on Jakku by her parents - she was left on Jakku by Kylo Ren, shortly after he and the Knights of Ren massacred Luke's Jedi Academy. For whatever reason (could be that she's Luke's daughter, could be something else) he secretly spared her, but to cover it up left her where she would likely not be found by his dark side buddies or the First Order. because it's already canon that memory altering is a Force Power, it follows that Kylo Ren made her forget him, and gave her vague memories of her parents abandoning her but promising to return (to ensure she wouldn't leave the planet). This is part of why it seems like at a certain point Kylo Ren recognizes her, and why it kinda seems like the fight with her has some significance for him.
obviously the problem with this is that it only makes the fight retroactively interesting.

but it's thematically fitting - Kylo is constantly being tempted by the light, and feeling a need to prove that he's really dark side, for realzies. The fact he couldn't bring himself to kill the girl would haunt him and her presence, when he realizes who Rey is, really, really, really pisses him off because it reminds him of his weakness.

Does this make sense to everyone?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The idea that Kylo Ren spared Rey and purposely left her on Jakku to protect her does make a certain amount of sense. It at least seems as probable as any other theory, and more probable than most.

That's about as far as I'm willing to entertain that theory, though. Kylo Ren hesitating to kill a child isn't evidence that the child was Luke's daughter, and Rey misremembering the events of her childhood isn't evidence that she has had her memories altered. Even then, as much sense as the theory makes, I'm hesitant to put too much faith in it. TFA was altogether too vague.

(By the way, has the force ever been used to alter memories in the films? I suppose the Jedi mind trick might generously be described as something like that, but it seems altogether more likely that it's just a method of misdirection.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I saw this theory come up earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering whether everyone agrees it makes the most sense:

Rey wasn't abandoned on Jakku by her parents - she was left on Jakku by Kylo Ren, shortly after he and the Knights of Ren massacred Luke's Jedi Academy. For whatever reason (could be that she's Luke's daughter, could be something else) he secretly spared her, but to cover it up left her where she would likely not be found by his dark side buddies or the First Order. because it's already canon that memory altering is a Force Power, it follows that Kylo Ren made her forget him, and gave her vague memories of her parents abandoning her but promising to return (to ensure she wouldn't leave the planet). This is part of why it seems like at a certain point Kylo Ren recognizes her, and why it kinda seems like the fight with her has some significance for him.
obviously the problem with this is that it only makes the fight retroactively interesting.

but it's thematically fitting - Kylo is constantly being tempted by the light, and feeling a need to prove that he's really dark side, for realzies. The fact he couldn't bring himself to kill the girl would haunt him and her presence, when he realizes who Rey is, really, really, really pisses him off because it reminds him of his weakness.

Any plot machinations that circle around Rey having her memories erased at some point are rightly going to be rejected by the audience as a bunch of cheap, horrendous horseshit. It's possible, but boy oh boy would that be lame.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully anything from Rey's past is unremembered due to her her being too young to process/remember rather than handwave-y (literally!) Force meddling...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Her being some sort of Force Anomaly or genetic monstrosity created by sheev would be fun. She's probably a normal kid tho

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If Kylo knows who Rey is, he's certainly putting on a great performance pretending he doesn't, even when nobody's around. He constantly seems incredulous that this girl who's just a nobody keeps proving so formidable.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The fact that he loses his poo poo when he finds out Finn and BB-8 were helped by a GIRL seems to imply that he has some kind of connection with her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

The fact that he loses his poo poo when he finds out Finn and BB-8 were helped by a GIRL seems to imply that he has some kind of connection with her.

I dunno, I read that more as "Okay, we have a renegade stormtrooper assisting a Resistance droid...wait, someone else is involved now? Who?!"

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Toilet Mouth posted:

If Kylo knows who Rey is, he's certainly putting on a great performance pretending he doesn't, even when nobody's around. He constantly seems incredulous that this girl who's just a nobody keeps proving so formidable.

Theres a couple of things that couple be interpreted both ways actually.

When he chokes that officer after he tells him a "girl" helped Finn and BB8 escape with the Falcon? "WHAT GIRL!?"
When he captures Rey in the woods "The girl ive heard so much about." From who? when?
If I'm not mistaken the only run in she has with the FO at that point is stealing the Falcon, so how would he know more?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Viller posted:

Theres a couple of things that couple be interpreted both ways actually.

When he chokes that officer after he tells him a "girl" helped Finn and BB8 escape with the Falcon? "WHAT GIRL!?"
When he captures Rey in the woods "The girl ive heard so much about." From who? when?
If I'm not mistaken the only run in she has with the FO at that point is stealing the Falcon, so how would he know more?

Maybe the awakening Snoke tells him about.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pops Mgee posted:

That's the opposite of what that implies.

Although everyone's resigned themselves to the plodding inevitability of 'the reveal', Kylo is characterized as a raging misogynist loner who also happens to be (in a very contradictory way) the universe's only fundamentalist Christian. He's not the one to compromise his ideals to protect a little girl. Such theories frankly betray a deep misunderstanding of the film(s).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Spatula City posted:

No, it's dumb.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rey was left on Jakku by Dracula, because he felt she was unsafe around the Monster Squad.

My uncle works at Nintendo and assures me that this is the case.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Toilet Mouth posted:

Nah, it can absolutely be read that Kylo Ren knows who Rey is. The incredulity can easily be interpreted as fear; ie, the dawning realization that something from the past has come back to haunt him despite his best efforts to avoid it. It's a Star Wars staple.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
In Rey's vision:

1. Kylo stabs some guy about to attack her
2. Kylo notices and walks toward her, the vision cuts immediately to Rey's family flying off into a sinister red light, and also reveals whatever idiot abandoned her on the planet left her with loving UNKAR PLUTT
3. The vision now cuts to a future scene where Rey is meeting Kylo in the forest, and the first thing she sees of him in the vision is his red lightsaber

At the beginning of the vision she is in some kind of tunnel, and emerges to see Luke put his hand on R2D2 while a fire burns in front of them. Since Kylo is involved with all these same events with Luke, I have seen a lot of people say "WELL SHE'S LUKE'S DAUGHTER!!!111" or the slightly less hyperbolic "well the lightsaber is related to Luke". But I thought the vision was more about Kylo saving her and leaving her on the planet. That combined with his extreme reaction when the goon mentions a girl helping BB-8 and the way Kylo says "what girl" in response, plus him being nice to a lowly scavenger ("don't worry, I feel it too") suggests he is still a little tied up on the matter, but of course his desire to reach Luke is still more important than anything.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure Rey in the dream sequence is reacting to Kylo Ren massacring people, not some random guy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Here's the vision scene (cut into two because Disney is dumb apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioq7N8O1-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoEuiyZL8U

There's a recurring motif of Kylo Ren chasing her that would disprove the "he's just protecting her" theory. Plus I don't think the whole Knights of Ren would be able to keep quiet about saving her.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was going to ask about that because in the movie it makes it sound like the Knights of Ren is an order Kylo Ren himself is in control/the founder of. Is here some NEU ( :haw: ) information about this in the comics/etc.? Otherwise it seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing for him to keep hidden/almost forget about over the years.

Wait people are ranking feature length Star Wars movies? Here it is for me:

1 A New Hope
2 The Empire Strikes Back
3 The Force Awakens
4 Return of the Jedi
5 Revenge of the Sith
6 Phantom Menace
7 Holiday Special
8 Battle for Endor
9 Ewok Adventure
10 The Clone Wars
11 Attack of the Clones

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 17, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thus far we know absolutely nothing about the Knights of Ren.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

computer parts posted:

Here's the vision scene (cut into two because Disney is dumb apparently)

It's the JJ Abrams school of that being too much content for a single cut.

So I see Rey is actually being attacked by...Marv from Sin City...?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm not really into the political universe of star wars but I will totally eat up someone learning to be a hero/embracing their destiny

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I need to know more about that Knight of Ren holding the buster sword in the rain.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Poldarn posted:

I need to know more about that Knight of Ren holding the buster sword in the rain.

It's zakk

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

site posted:

It's zakk

Who's that? I couldn't find a 5000 word wookiepedia article on him/her.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not the one who introduced what the material was. That was Cnut. If it's completely irrelevant, blame him.

This is the weirdest argument. No, Darth Vader's helmet and armor are metallic. That's what it is canonically and that's what its appearance was always intended to communicate:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

“For Darth Vader, George just said he would like to have a very tall, dark fluttering figure that had a spooky feeling like it came in on the wind,” McQuarrie says. “He mentioned the look of Arab costumes, all tied up in silk and rags. He liked the idea of Vader having a big hat, like a fisherman’s hat, a big long metal thing that came down. George wanted him to have some sort of mask, because they were supposed to leap down from this big ship to a smaller ship that the rebels were in. The space suits began as being necessary for their survival in space, but the suits became part of their character. I made three or four little sketches, which he looked at and said, ‘That’s not right, I kind of like that hat, but maybe you should fool around with it a little bit more.’ So I made some more sketches. He was going up to San Francisco to work on the script, and came down in another week and a half or two weeks to see what I was doing.”

This McQuarrie quote is also notable because it puts lie to the oft-repeated myth that McQuarrie alone was the one who came up with the breath mask concept.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

This is the weirdest argument. No, Darth Vader's helmet and armor are metallic. That's what it is canonically and that's what its appearance was always intended to communicate:

This McQuarrie quote is also notable because it puts lie to the oft-repeated myth that McQuarrie alone was the one who came up with the breath mask concept.

I don't really know what the argument here is, but I personally always thought Vader's armor was plastic. It is weird that people think it is metal. Is Stormtrooper armor also metal?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

I don't really know what the argument here is, but I personally always thought Vader's armor was plastic. It is weird that people think it is metal. Is Stormtrooper armor also metal?

It's plasteel, dipshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Straight from the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstructive Center. Aka the EmPal SuRecon Center

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What kind of lovely loving armour is made of plastic?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They cut corners so the helmet could be super shiny.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CelticPredator posted:

They cut corners so the helmet could be super shiny.

No, you've got it backwards. They made the helmet super shiny so that Palpatine hopefully wouldn't notice they cut corners.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

I don't know what the stormtrooper armor is "supposed" to be. But sure, it looks like it could be some sort of futuristic plastic composite.

But I would think that Darth Vader's armor should read pretty clearly as being akin to polished steel, like the German Stahlheim on which it's partially based:

I don't really know what the argument here is, either.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't know what the stormtrooper armor is "supposed" to be. But sure, it looks like it could be some sort of futuristic plastic composite.

But I would think that Darth Vader's armor should read pretty clearly as being akin to polished steel, like the German Stahlheim on which it's partially based:

I don't really know what the argument here is, either.

Isn't it also loosely based on samurai armor?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equeen posted:

Isn't it also loosely based on samurai armor?

The Empire is a loose Nazi analogue, and the Jedi are loose Samurai analogues, so it makes sense that Vader would be a melding of the two.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The helmet reads as plastic because it looks like plastic, which is consistent with the prop being made of plastic. Not that it matters, it's just weird to base an argument on it being metal when it obviously isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There wouldn't be an argument if you weren't such a weirdo pedant, fyi

• Locked thread