Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

khwarezm posted:

Monster Infighting is the best mechanic from Doom that criminally never caught on.

fishmech posted:

For extra fun, use a DEH or BEX that disables monster infighting immunities, such as how barons of hell can't projectile attack hell knights and vice versa.

Now I'm imagining someone creating a version of SaltyBet dedicated to monster infighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The random little rules to infighting aren't really like, critical or anything, but I always loved them as quirks. The barons/knights thing, or how enemies aren't allowed to target arch-viles for retaliation (or how archies will *always* retaliate, which is actually really important and useful at times)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

fishmech posted:

For extra fun, use a DEH or BEX that disables monster infighting immunities, such as how barons of hell can't projectile attack hell knights and vice versa.
Might make Nuts.wad more interesting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is the Doom Engine game "Steel Attack" that was described as Platinum Games meets Doom?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One thing a lot of super slaughter maps do is have just teeming hordes of the same monster that normally can't attack its species at all, even if it accidentally hits them they're immune. Disable all the immunities and those set pieces quickly end up quite different!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is the Doom Engine game "Steel Attack" that was described as Platinum Games meets Doom?

Uh what is this you speak of unless you meant Demonsteele?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

Totally off-topic, but every time I see your username, the Earthworm Jim voice in my head yells it out, like a mix between him saying 'Groovy' and 'Whoa, Nellie!". Like "WAYAM-doodle", with the 'doodle' part being much quieter.

Anyway...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Monster Infighting is the best mechanic from Doom that criminally never caught on.
At least Quake had it. Didn't really see it come up in Quake 2, though.

fishmech posted:

Or if you're playing ZDoom, just enter "infighting 1" into the console.

Or "infighting -1" if you want to see what Doom with absolutely no infighting looks like.

Personally, I'd like a cheat code that forces every monster to immediately aggro to the nearest monster it finds, just to see what that chaos would be like...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've always wanted to play a mod where infighting-immune monsters would get damaged by friendly fire (but still not fight each other). I feel like that would completely change how you would deal with some encounters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, and the only "Steel Attack" I can find on the internet is a Swedish metal band.

Unless Wamdoodle is correct that you meant Daemonsteele, which isn't a game but a mod. Then it's pretty good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
No scans this weekend I'm afraid, have visitors so had to stick all the magazines in the loft :( Will try to get some done next weekend though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shadow Hog posted:

At least Quake had it. Didn't really see it come up in Quake 2, though.

Quake 2 had it, but the low enemy density meant it didn't come up very often. I know this for a fact because I kept breaking it when I was rewriting the monster targeting AI a couple months ago.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Speaking of it, any new progress? That little invasion mod thing looked promising.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

Speaking of it, any new progress? That little invasion mod thing looked promising.

It's going to be one of my projects in a week when school is over.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Any mags mentioning Blakestone? I played the poo poo out of it as a kid but I've never heard anything about it, pretty much ever.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Just discovered a Steam version of Gunman Chronicles after trying to get my old CD's to work:

http://www.moddb.com/games/gunman-chronicles

Great nostalgic poo poo right there. Speaking of HL conversions, did The Opera ever get released? I remember everyone and everything being hype as gently caress about it from about '99-'03, but then never heard anything else about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackmarketlimb posted:

Just discovered a Steam version of Gunman Chronicles after trying to get my old CD's to work:

Great nostalgic poo poo right there. Speaking of HL conversions, did The Opera ever get released? I remember everyone and everything being hype as gently caress about it from about '99-'03, but then never heard anything else about it.

I played it, but it may have been a beta or something like that. I do remember how they called AI enemies "mooks". It was no Action Half-Life I'd say.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

blackmarketlimb posted:

Yessssssssss thanks for this, I've misplaced my Gunman Chronicles CD somewhere and was afraid I'd never get the chance to play it again.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

blackmarketlimb posted:

Great nostalgic poo poo right there.
I recall installing a mod that required the original game disc to work - which suited me just fine, since I'd just gotten the game disc off eBay and was looking to get it working on the Steam version of Half-Life, as I'd heard was possible. Also added the demo's content to the main game (for some reason it's not normally in the final game, even though it'd logically make sense for it to be).

I need to get back to that game sometime.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BattleMaster posted:

It's going to be one of my projects in a week when school is over.

:neckbeard:

some scans (done by other people) since Convex is busy!

And found while digging through my bookmarks: Unreal soundtrack in MP3 & FLAC! Proper tags and everything!

http://music.maxofs2d.net/Unreal_mp3.zip
http://music.maxofs2d.net/Unreal_flac.zip

http://music.maxofs2d.net/Unreal_ReturnToNaPali_mp3.zip
http://music.maxofs2d.net/Unreal_ReturnToNaPali_flac.zip

And, for good measure, Unreal Tournament in AAC and FLAC:

http://music.maxofs2d.net/UnrealTournament_aac.zip
http://music.maxofs2d.net/UnrealTournament_flac.zip

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is great that Duke3D had those well done console ports, those were my first exposure to it. Since I didn't get a great PC until '99, I still had an ol' 386 that could only play Doom and adventure games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

It is great that Duke3D had those well done console ports, those were my first exposure to it. Since I didn't get a great PC until '99, I still had an ol' 386 that could only play Doom and adventure games.

Duke64 was the poo poo and playing coop with a friend against dukebots was a thing for years.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Are those... shareware disks with fancy packaging being advertised as 'the most sensational new pc gaming concept'?

(Although I'd be somewhat impressed if they managed to cram Doom shareware onto a single disk, it usually takes two. Also actually bothering to use DD diskettes for the smaller games, there's something I've not seen in a long, long time...)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 17, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Quake 2 had it, but the low enemy density meant it didn't come up very often. I know this for a fact because I kept breaking it when I was rewriting the monster targeting AI a couple months ago.

I know Quake 2 has it because one of the demo recordings shows it off in the background of the start menu.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Depth Dwellers? I'd assumed these were Apogee games, was Depth Dwellers an Apogee game?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If anyone skipped over the JPCP, don't. Just finished it and it's really good.

Maps 27, 28 and 29 sure are something special respectively.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

catlord posted:

Depth Dwellers? I'd assumed these were Apogee games, was Depth Dwellers an Apogee game?

There's plenty of Epic-syndicated games there too: Epic Pinball, Electro Man, Xargon...

I like the idea of collector cards, though. Maybe if a butterfly ten thousand years ago flapped its wings differently we'd get an eBay seller screaming "STOP! STOP! THIS IS NOT A PC GAME! THIS IS A CARD FOR COLLECTORS!"

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Thyrork posted:

If anyone skipped over the JPCP, don't. Just finished it and it's really good.

Maps 27, 28 and 29 sure are something special respectively.

Eh, Map 29 got on my nerves a bit. I get the reality crumbling around you aesthetic the mapper was going for, but it led to the level being a huge confusing mess of rooms cluttered with poo poo to trip over and no sense of where to go next after hitting a switch. Overall though the entire pack is fantastic, and I am glad to say that I do indeed "LIKE CACO"

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Jblade posted:

Yessssssssss thanks for this, I've misplaced my Gunman Chronicles CD somewhere and was afraid I'd never get the chance to play it again.

Me too! My CD has a huge scratch on it and I was really goddamned bummed out. Glad I could be of service.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've ranted about it in this thread before, but I really did like Gunman Chronicles for some reason. It didn't have a huge selection of guns, but the developers packed a ton of options (almost too many at times) into each one. The enemy designs in general were really cool, too--especially the Xenome alien varieties. And it was all packed into a strange, novel setting that was basically Antebellum Wild West meets Deep Space Aliens, with the added flavoring of dinosaurs and rogue robot AI army.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

What is this?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
After finishing Haunted Nukem (which I enjoyed, thanks Heavy Metal), I realised that I would need more Halloween-y/autumn stuff because I'll probably get through the others decently fast. If anybody's got any more suggestions, please shoot 'em my way.

I also figured I'd try making a Doom wad in that style, but so far that's been me getting stuff from Hexen, making an entryway, filling it with leaf spawners and being super giddy at my meagre accomplishment. Which, to be fair, is further than I got with any of the other maps I started, but you know.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cat Mattress posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, and the only "Steel Attack" I can find on the internet is a Swedish metal band.

Unless Wamdoodle is correct that you meant Daemonsteele, which isn't a game but a mod. Then it's pretty good.

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah Demonsteel, that's what I meant.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

What is this?

Reelism ?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ah okay, been ages since I last tried that mod, bit too difficult for my tastes(I'm the sort of person who pretty much never plays above normal, and often picks easy)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Ah okay, been ages since I last tried that mod, bit too difficult for my tastes(I'm the sort of person who pretty much never plays above normal, and often picks easy)

The Bullethose + Gunfinity + Bronies reel combo is probably the easiest Reelism can be.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Halo has it. Flood and covenant fight each other, and in later games the elites and brutes do too. Strategically sniping thè side that was winning was always fun.

Fallout 3/nv/4 have it as well. fo4 has decent fps mechanics and being out exploring and coming across super mutants and BOS shooting the poo poo out of each other is amazing. I don't know if that really counts as infighting as both of those are different factions but they make sneaking around the outskirts of a battle seem more realistic.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 18, 2016

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I've always wanted to play a mod where infighting-immune monsters would get damaged by friendly fire (but still not fight each other). I feel like that would completely change how you would deal with some encounters.

Not a fps but dark souls has this. Watching a dude swing at you taking taking out his friends is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dark Souls does not have infighting in a relevant sense.