Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is there a downside to Hollowing beyond cosmetics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

MrLonghair posted:

What's everyone's fave katana, or which katana is pushing peoples poo poo in the most in PvP?

This run I'm starting now will be full Dex, and I'm gonna be running for the dual Katanas you get from the one dude before you get to the final Lord of Ember.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zerilan posted:

Is there a downside to Hollowing beyond cosmetics?
Supposedly it fucks with your ability to co-op, making it impossible at higher levels. I think someone on earlier pages said they got up to 99 and had no problem though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
illrathyl question:
How do you kill the two giant dogs to get the ring of favor? It seems like if I slip up at all then one or the other will rush in and one-shot me with their bullshit grab.

Edit: Also can you still put resins on weapons that you've infused? I'm running a strength build so I want to put a sharp/whatever it is that scales to strength on my greatsword but I really want lightning for Aldrich because he's kicking my rear end right now and apparently he takes like +20% damage from lightning.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 17, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, my armor has been getting..darker, i'd say? It restores to normal if I rest at a bonfire, but it does noooooot look good after a while, like something's creeping up inside

http://i.imgur.com/xTbRPFH Here's an example (Contains special weapon spoilers, I guess)

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
All done with Dark Souls 3 for now.

All achievement completed...that ring one is brutal. You not only need all of the rings, but you also need the +1 and +2 versions in NG+ and NG++.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BillmasterCozb posted:

So, uh, my armor has been getting..darker, i'd say? It restores to normal if I rest at a bonfire, but it does noooooot look good after a while, like something's creeping up inside

The first boss you fight in the game with the goop coming out of his back probably hit you which starts a deathtimer and you have to complete the game before it runs out or your character will be hosed up forever.

it is soot

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Decrepus posted:

The first boss you fight in the game with the goop coming out of his back probably hit you which starts a deathtimer and you have to complete the game before it runs out or your character will be hosed up forever.

it is soot

Oh, I thought it was a side-effect of hollowing. This is much cooler, then

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

illrathyl question:
How do you kill the two giant dogs to get the ring of favor? It seems like if I slip up at all then one or the other will rush in and one-shot me with their bullshit grab.

Edit: Also can you still put resins on weapons that you've infused? I'm running a strength build so I want to put a sharp/whatever it is that scales to strength on my greatsword but I really want lightning for Aldrich because he's kicking my rear end right now and apparently he takes like +20% damage from lightning.

Try shooting one with a bow from the little section near the ladder. Then kill it in that small section without entering the main room, and the other won't aggro.

Also for whoever was asking about first person bow aim- two hand it, then hit, uh, left-hand light attack. The shoulder button. I dunno what that is on keyboard. Or I guess reversed if you put it in the left hand, maybe?

Also, Aldritch, what have you done with the place? The worst house squatter.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I just got to the Firelink Shrine, what would be the first thing I should do as a Knight class with 10k souls?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BillmasterCozb posted:

http://i.imgur.com/xTbRPFH Here's an example (Contains special weapon spoilers, I guess)

It seems like DS3 has a limited version of the liquid effects in DS2. Your armor will appear wet or dirty if you go rolling around in water or swamps. It's really noticeable if you wear something bright like maiden set, but most armor already looks pretty dirty.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does upgrading catalysts increase your sorcery damage? Its been so long since I magic'd I actually forgot if it does or not.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Koorisch posted:

So I just got to the Firelink Shrine, what would be the first thing I should do as a Knight class with 10k souls?

Seek swords, seek larger more powerful swords.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Eonwe posted:

It's amazing how the world in DS 3 is so dead, but it actually feels like at one time it was alive

Is there a good breakdown of dark souls lore

If you're not averse to youtubers VaatiVidya does a big series of videos on the plot and the various characters as well

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jimbot posted:

Does upgrading catalysts increase your sorcery damage? Its been so long since I magic'd I actually forgot if it does or not.

It used to, but now it only does indirectly, by improving the scaling.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Seek swords, seek larger more powerful swords.

I was already going to do that. :v:

But seriously though, I was just wondering what is usually a good thing to get early, like the torch and whatnot.

Also I started with the fire gem for burnination.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

I must have gotten in early, since "Get all Rings" and "Get all achievements" are still 0% on Steam.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Koorisch posted:

But seriously though, I was just wondering what is usually a good thing to get early, like the torch and whatnot.

The torch is a solid investment since it's cheap and later areas are actually dark. Other than that none of her base stuff is really great so maybe grab a bow and some arrows.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Koorisch posted:

I would infuse a sword with Raw since it is pretty powerful early on and you won't want to be using Raw later on anyway once your stats get higher. Or the fire gem like you have now. If you like straight swords there is a very good one in the Highwall area so you don't really need to buy one of those.

Once you don't want raw/fire any more you can just infuse over top of it and keep the +1,+2,etc that it has so there is no real loss if you really like using that weapon and want to continue doing so later.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
If anyone's having trouble with Sirris' last fight, just nail the guy with an undead hunter charm (the new lloyd's talisman). He's not great at dodging, and it breaks his A.I. so he just tries to estus repeatedly.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

limited posted:

Supposedly it fucks with your ability to co-op, making it impossible at higher levels. I think someone on earlier pages said they got up to 99 and had no problem though.

I'm on 99 and I coop fine.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So should I bother with raising my Faith for Heal or should I spend my souls on better things like Endurance and Vigor?

Haven't really played the Souls games for a while so I'm pretty rusty.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, what all weapons deal frostbite damage? All I know of are the ice straight sword and Vordt's hammer

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

limited posted:

Untrue. I'm 99 Hollow and coop works fine.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Koorisch posted:

So should I bother with raising my Faith for Heal or should I spend my souls on better things like Endurance and Vigor?

I took one level in faith for the basic heal to top myself off between fights and save estus and it worked out nicely since I wasn't using my FP early on anyhow. I wouldn't go beyond that if you weren't interested in other miracles, though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Koorisch posted:

No no no. You get lots more estus

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Koorisch posted:

I picked up enough faith to use the basic heal spell, but really it wasn't that big of a deal. With base FP, I had enough mana to cast heal that equaled about one estus flask, pretty worthless in combat to try and cast it three times, but not too bad between bonfires. Later on it didn't matter. Replaying now, I'd invest those points more Vigor or Endurance instead.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't know if any of the healing miracles scale with faith because I don't use them, but they didn't in the previous games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DontMindMe posted:

I must have gotten in early, since "Get all Rings" and "Get all achievements" are still 0% on Steam.

The "get all rings" achievement counts the +1 and +2 variants that only spawn in NG+ and NG++, supposedly, so I would feel bad for anybody who's actually trying to do that one if that's the case.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The "get all rings" achievement counts the +1 and +2 variants that only spawn in NG+ and NG++, supposedly, so I would feel bad for anybody who's actually trying to do that one if that's the case.

The real hard part is maxing out several covenants. I'm thinking it might just be easier to farm enemies for their rare covenant drops rather than actually do them the proper way.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
If I go into a NG+ cycle will by friends still be able to play with me via a password? Or is that not a thing

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

HydeLyde posted:

Does anyone have advice for making a sorcerer decent? I'm at the cathedral and just got my int to 40, but I'm really starting to feel the hurt. The only decent sorceries seem to be the soul arrow spells. I've started to put souls into faith so I can switch over to being a pyromancy user, but so far the only one of those that seems ok is fire orb. I don't know how far I am from the point where you can respec, and I've put way too much time in to want to restart with a new character.

hi hello i'm playing my sorc character now

it's a lot of dodging because basically anything that hits you in the face is going to hurt

i'm running soul arrow, great soul arrow, and great heavy soul arrow, and also great magic weapon. if it's a lot of mobs i swap in farron flashblade, it's great for huge mobs. or soul greatsword i guess, whatever

you're basically trying to use arrows as much as you can and only use whatever you're using as a weapon if you have to. i'm using a rapier because i have tiny baby arms and can't hold any cool weapons.

Once you unlock Orbeck you get some cooler stuff and once you give him Logan/Crystal Scrolls it really opens up. Soul Spear isn't great because it does comparable damage to GHSA at like 25 more FP, but it does pierce so if you get a lot of people chasing you (or rats :argh:) you can use it to murder a lot of them really quickly.

Once you get Crystal Scroll you get some really fun stuff, but most importantly once you're in the castle you can pick up Soul Stream and if you're not playing a sorc just for soul stream i dont know why you're playing a sorc

:siren:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Wow gently caress the Road of Sacrifice. gently caress those crabs, gently caress those mobs of tree spearers, gently caress those ultra-aggressive Bloodborne enemies, gently caress that Black Knight, and gently caress those Watchdogs that try to lure you into all of those.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

The real hard part is maxing out several covenants. I'm thinking it might just be easier to farm enemies for their rare covenant drops rather than actually do them the proper way.

This works well for the Wolf covenant, since the farm is very fast (the three enemies are right next to a bonfire in swamp area).

Mound is a nightmare. I ended up just getting them all from pvp because the enemies only dropped 3 over a few hours.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Smoldering Lake can suck a bucket of fucks. I like the area and I think it's well done (for what it is) but it's just a giant goddamned slog.

Anybody feel like helping a guy out? Level 42, +5 weapon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

The Darkmoon/Blue Sentinels covenant is a nightmare. I'm at level 94 and I can't find anywhere where I can get summoned (I'm walking around with like 2 million souls because I think levelling up will make it even more impossible to get summoned) Silver Knights drop the item but I farmed them for an hour with a pretty high item stat and got...one

I also need the Mound Makers one but I can't even join that till NG+ because I missed it in this run

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DontMindMe posted:

This works well for the Wolf covenant, since the farm is very fast (the three enemies are right next to a bonfire in swamp area).

Mound is a nightmare. I ended up just getting them all from pvp because the enemies only dropped 3 over a few hours.

I'm only farming for Wolf and Darkmoon cause they suck and it's hard to get summoned. Sunlight, Aldrich, Mound-makers, and Rosaria are straight-forward cause you just have to invade (and the Aldrich zone is super popular).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

limited posted:

This is a straight up lie as I had a minefield of 20+ signs at the final boss, long after I had done all that.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I guess since I already have the Knight's starting shield for blocking I should try to lower my weight to sub 40% to get the best stamina recovery speed and rolling i-frames, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

And they dropped the changes DS 2 made to NG+ instead of expanding upon them so there's even less of a reason to actually play NG+ :geno: