Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

cash crab posted:

Doesn't your dad do something else really hosed up with his food, or am I still still thinking of another weird example you told where he needed to put parm on something? I swear to god we had a "shaky cheese" conversation a while back.

Condiments in general, mayonnaise in particular. The family had a big fight at a hot dog stand one time because he was getting really riled up that the stand didn't have mayo to put on his dog, and we could not convince him to just settle with the twelve condiments he already had on his dog. Mom was mortified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Murphy Brownback posted:

This is probably half unpopular opinion half pet peeve, but while we're on the topic of smoking: people who want to smoke weed in your place where it's not legalized and where you can face heavy fines by the landlord if you're caught smoking anything inside.

To anyone who's never had this happen, this may sound like a ridiculous thing that only assholes do but holy poo poo it happens way more than you think. "Come over and hang out" does not automatically imply that you can just whip out your piece wherever you want. And no, I don't care that you offered to share as you lit the bowl, gently caress you. Offering to let me put my mouth on a filthy chillum and smoke some ditch weed you bought off a white guy named Jambo doesn't somehow absolve you of your responsibility to be a reasonable guest. First off, I'm loving allergic to it and if you were a better friend you'd have loving known that, and then there's the fact that I own this house and don't want it smelling like bong water. Let's not even talk about how much poo poo I'd be in if I showed up for work reeking of weed just because my laundry was hung up to dry in the room we were in and you were sitting near my laptop bag.

gently caress pot culture for programming idiots to think "any time, any place" and then inspiring them to get all huffy when you politely ask them to take it outside. I've had to cut ties with so many people that used to be fun to party with because of poo poo like "no man, it's natural, nobody will smell it on you anyway, also lots of states are legalizing it so that means it's okay, quit like supporting ~the establishment~" Yeah, "you can't get addicted to pot," right--then why can't we just hang out and have a few beers without you having to smoke every fifteen goddamn minutes

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Reminded of a time my friend picked up my little hamster in its ball and blew vape clouds at it. I was livid.

Nobody tell me it's all water vapour, it's the rudeness I am mad at. Pet-pet-peeve is people not being incredibly super nice to your pets at all times :mad:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

teenytinymouse posted:

Reminded of a time my friend picked up my little hamster in its ball and blew vape clouds at it. I was livid.

Nobody tell me it's all water vapour, it's the rudeness I am mad at. Pet-pet-peeve is people not being incredibly super nice to your pets at all times :mad:

I was going to say something to this effect, but I felt like it was too sad to bring up. Also, if someone did that to my pet, I would have kicked them in the dick. The amount of people who think it's funny to blow smoke/vapour into an animal's face is staggering, to say the least.

Actually, speaking of parties, we have a pretty big apartment in a very convenient location, so we host a lot of parties, and being the massive goon that I am, I'm really cagey about having people in my house/room (not to mention the fear of someone letting my cat out). My biggest peeve is guests who bring other people without telling you and their guests turn out to be dickheads. Last time we had a party, some guy walked into my room while I was talking to some of my boyfriend's friends, and said, "Sweet guitar," while pointing at my guitar. "Thanks, it's vintage." "Pfft. No it's not." ??? As if I wouldn't know better than him? I ignored him and instead showed one of the other guys a banjo I have in my closet (also vintage!) and this guy, who again, I've never met before, shouts, "PLAY ME SOMETHING". I told him to get the gently caress out of my house.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

teenytinymouse posted:

THIS! A friend of my ex tried to get my cat to drink vodka. Because "a drunk kitty would be super cute, and I only plan to give it a few sips".

gently caress you! That cat only weighed 2 kilos at the time, a few sips of vodka could probably have killed it! Don't mess with people's pets, OK?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My cat tries to eat my weed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Just to lighten the "cats getting high" conversation, I have some advice for cat owners: Honeysuckle is more effective than catnip, and olives contain the same isoprenoids as catnip and also produce a very funny effect in some cats. Toss some olives and honeysuckle at your cat and have fun.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

THIS! A friend of my ex tried to get my cat to drink vodka. Because "a drunk kitty would be super cute, and I only plan to give it a few sips".

gently caress you! That cat only weighed 2 kilos at the time, a few sips of vodka could probably have killed it! Don't mess with people's pets, OK?

WHAT THE gently caress?! :mad:

cash crab posted:

I was going to say something to this effect, but I felt like it was too sad to bring up. Also, if someone did that to my pet, I would have kicked them in the dick. The amount of people who think it's funny to blow smoke/vapour into an animal's face is staggering, to say the least.

Actually, speaking of parties, we have a pretty big apartment in a very convenient location, so we host a lot of parties, and being the massive goon that I am, I'm really cagey about having people in my house/room (not to mention the fear of someone letting my cat out). My biggest peeve is guests who bring other people without telling you and their guests turn out to be dickheads. Last time we had a party, some guy walked into my room while I was talking to some of my boyfriend's friends, and said, "Sweet guitar," while pointing at my guitar. "Thanks, it's vintage." "Pfft. No it's not." ??? As if I wouldn't know better than him? I ignored him and instead showed one of the other guys a banjo I have in my closet (also vintage!) and this guy, who again, I've never met before, shouts, "PLAY ME SOMETHING". I told him to get the gently caress out of my house.

Omg I know this, I wish I had the nerve to chuck people out. My best friend/ former housemate has a bf who would just constantly start poo poo with me, like, for fun. He enjoyed arguing (law undergrad lmao) so he would just start arguments on purpose (the best one was "Rhianna deserved a slap, I don't blame Chris Brown, she's so annoying!") and my friend just... Never did anything???? Control your loving house guests, they are your responsibility!!! :argh:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BattyKiara posted:

Oh gently caress this reminds me of my ex. She was of the mindset she was the loving Beastmaster and all animals would obey and love her. So when she was over one time, our previously abused dog Dixie had her litter of puppies inside. I told my ex to stay away from that room, because Dixie didn't know her, and Dixie had some issues about strangers in general from her past three owners beating her almost to death. Cue loving ex walking over to look at the puppies because mommy dog was sleeping. Dixie woke the gently caress up and almost tore a nice six inch gash in my ex's thigh because bitch couldn't listen. Years later, after the breakup, we decided to give it another go. I hoped college had helped her mature. Nope. She chased my loving cat and rabbit around the house before whining that my animals hated her. No, oval office, you just walked in the door two minutes ago, they don't loving know you! Do not chase my loving pets!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Animal wackos* are the worst. You should've let Dixie tear off her calf!

pet peeve: people who drag on conversations and jokes longer than they ought to go. Some of my coworkers won't shut up about inane poo poo in a poor attempt to be funny or interesting when I have actual work to do. I'm all for chit-chat and jokes but after a minute or so I get antsy. Especially if said coworker spends two minutes stumbling through a joke and then the next five explaining it from every angle. argh!

*Animal wackos that think every animal should automatically love them, I mean. I'm sure all the animal wackos in this thread are perfectly responsible pet owners :v:

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Animal wackos* are the worst. You should've let Dixie tear off her calf!

pet peeve: people who drag on conversations and jokes longer than they ought to go. Some of my coworkers won't shut up about inane poo poo in a poor attempt to be funny or interesting when I have actual work to do. I'm all for chit-chat and jokes but after a minute or so I get antsy. Especially if said coworker spends two minutes stumbling through a joke and then the next five explaining it from every angle. argh!

*Animal wackos that think every animal should automatically love them, I mean. I'm sure all the animal wackos in this thread are perfectly responsible pet owners :v:

"Animal wackos are the worst" followed by "You should've let Dixie tear off her calf!" :catstare:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

teenytinymouse posted:

People not respecting your boundaries about your pets is the worst. People always try to feed my dog treats or scraps of whatever they're eating even if I ask them not to and then don't understand why he gets all revved up and crazy and starts harassing them more after he gets treats from them. Like, it's not hard to not give him food, just, you know, don't do it. After a minute he'll realise there's no treats coming and wander off but if you do give him a treat then you will be forever labelled the Treat Dispenser and will never know a moment's peace because now the dog expects treats from you.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

cyberia posted:

if you do give him a treat then you will be forever labelled the Treat Dispenser and will never know a moment's peace because now the dog expects treats from you.

A literal child could understand this, I have to believe people are being stupid on purpose.

I'm actually a needy animal person who needs animals to love them to feel complete and stuff and I know that's broken and weird but I'm still not like... pushy about it. Gross.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dogs only get food in their food bowls. Full stop. No exceptions. This makes it so they're not annoying shitlords when we're eating because they know they won't get anything.

I had a friend come over and proceed to feed my dog off of her fork at the dinner table. 1) WHY 2) GROSS 3) thanks for undoing my careful training jackass.

I also hate people who think they're animal whisperers and/or know more about your pets than you do. I live with these dogs 24/7, you just walked in my door 3 seconds ago. I think I know them better than you.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

My dog peeve is skittish owners who cross the road with their dog when they see me walking nearby, instead of passing me on the sidewalk. It's probably the polite thing to do, but as a dog person I feel insulted.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

People who use bits and pieces of foreign languages in their speech or writing. I'm onto your poo poo -- you don't speak Hindi or German or whatever at all, you just learned a few phrases to look cultured and worldly t:mad:>

Also burgers that have shredded or chopped ingredients like lettuce and onions, as opposed to sliced. (Here's looking at you, Whataburger!) it doesn't seem to add anything to the flavor or texture and just ends up with me looking like an idiot covered in tiny shreds of food :saddowns:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Also burgers that have shredded or chopped ingredients like lettuce and onions, as opposed to sliced. (Here's looking at you, Whataburger!) it doesn't seem to add anything to the flavor or texture and just ends up with me looking like an idiot covered in tiny shreds of food :saddowns:
Lettuce should always be replaced with baby spinach, obviously, but if you are going to use lettuce then shredded is the only way to go. At least then you can tell it's there.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

you don't speak ... German

I do too! :mad:

My peeve is non-Francophones who suddenly adopt the most absurd caricature of a French accent when saying croissant. It's never any other loanword from French. Always with the exaggerated kwa-SÃ! in the middle of an English sentence like bruh you're laying it on kinda thick there, if I didn't know any better I would think you were making fun of French people.

Basically this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

People who use bits and pieces of foreign languages in their speech or writing. I'm onto your poo poo -- you don't speak Hindi or German or whatever at all, you just learned a few phrases to look cultured and worldly t:mad:>

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a loanword and was proposed and chosen by a Japanese chemist, but "umami" as a description for one of the basic tastes is just dumb as poo poo. Just say "savory," you butts.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a loanword and was proposed and chosen by a Japanese chemist, but "umami" as a description for one of the basic tastes is just dumb as poo poo. Just say "savory," you butts.

I watch a lot of cooking shows and it always makes me angry when I hear it. Umami literally just means "savory". That's it. What's worse is when they say something like "a savory dish with umami tones". That's just redundant.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Idiots who think natural=healthy.

"Oh, you have severe asthma, KK? Smoke pot. It's natural so it won't hurt your lungs!" :supaburn:

I'm allergic to it.

"That's OK too. It's natural! It'll stop your allergies because people have only gotten allergies since chemicals!" :supaburn:

I'm so glad to be rid of the stepfamily.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

You Are A Elf posted:

I definitely share this with you. That Jet Tila guy who is always appearing as a judge on those cooking shows ( I think mostly chopped) always tries to force umami into every episode at least once. Stop trying to make umami happen.

I also hate the "it's natural!" argument mentioned above. There is a ton of things that are ~all natural~ that I definitely do not want to put in my body. Just because a human made something new or modified something to make it better doesn't automatically make it bad. That's not to say they are all good, but the automatic "synthetic/modified -> bad+death+autism" jump people make in their minds is silly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sociopastry posted:

I watch a lot of cooking shows and it always makes me angry when I hear it. Umami literally just means "savory". That's it. What's worse is when they say something like "a savory dish with umami tones". That's just redundant.

I hate idiots like this and, going on a tangent here, weeaboos, because I actually did learn Japanese from before I even knew what anime was and have a legitimate interest in their culture and with how poisoned the well is I could hardly blame you if you didn't even believe what I just said. :smith: Especially since I've forgotten half of it.

Come to think of it I might have said that before. Oh well, it's relevant.

On ~natural~,

AlphaKretin posted:

Absolutely not trying to shut the conversation down, but there's a thread for exactly this tucked away in SAL that I could see people missing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175

(just skim past the arguments if you choose to catch up from the start, I gather it used to be in D&D)

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Apr 16, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I hate idiots like this and, going on a tangent here, weeaboos, because I actually did learn Japanese from before I even knew what anime was and have a legitimate interest in their culture and with how poisoned the well is I could hardly blame you if you didn't even believe what I just said. :smith: Especially since I've forgotten half of it.

Come to think of it I might have said that before. Oh well, it's relevant.

On ~natural~,

I feel you on the Japanese front. I'm learning Japanese, but I will never, ever admit it irl because I don't want people to assume I'm a weeb.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My peeve is non-Francophones who suddenly adopt the most absurd caricature of a French accent when saying croissant. It's never any other loanword from French. Always with the exaggerated kwa-SÃ! in the middle of an English sentence like bruh you're laying it on kinda thick there, if I didn't know any better I would think you were making fun of French people.

So I speak (imperfect) Norwegian, and whenever I'm discussing Norway stuff with an American, I always feel awkward about pronouncing any Norwegian words/place names because I feel like they're going to look at me like I'm one of those kwa-SÃ! douchebags. :smith:

edit:

Sociopastry posted:

I feel you on the Japanese front. I'm learning Japanese, but I will never, ever admit it irl because I don't want people to assume I'm a weeb.

Just going to quote myself in response to you here

YeahTubaMike posted:

When I was in college, I started studying Japanese because I wanted to learn a language with a non-Latin alphabet as a challenge (I had studied Spanish in elementary, middle & high school). During our first Japanese class, we went around the room and talked about why we were studying Japanese. At least two people in the class had seen Battle Royale more than a hundred times, and there were more than a few (edit for accuracy)people who flat-out said "I want to be able to watch [insert anime here] without subs." When my turn was up, the exchange went like this:

Me: Hi, my name is YTM and I want to study Japanese because I want to learn a language with a non-Latin alphabet.
Entire class: :stare:
Some otaku girl: So you don't care about the culture at ALL? :what:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Mine is exactly the opposite of this. Savoury already means "not sweet", if you use it to mean umami then it's just confusing. :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Mine is exactly the opposite of this. Savoury already means "not sweet", if you use it to mean umami then it's just confusing. :argh:

It's just an unnecessary term unless you're a chef/food critic. Everyone knows what you mean when you say something that has a lot of "umami" or whatever is "savory". It's pedantic and annoying (a consistent theme in your posts) to be the guy to say "well actuallyyyy the word you're looking for is umami".

e: vvv have you noticed that the definition of umami contains the word savory? it's because they are synonyms to 99% of people

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Apr 16, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Everyone knows what you mean when you say something that has a lot of "umami" or whatever is "savory".

No, because savoury usually just means "not sweet", which can be a lot of different things.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
People who use the word crutches to mean something bad. As in "using X as a crutch instead of dealing with Y" or "That is not a safety net, it's used as crutches".

Look, my niece was born with CP. She can walk, and do most things other children do bcause she has crutches. They are part of her. They mean she gets to be part of society. When she grows up she will most probably have a normal job, just like everyone else. Crutches are a good thing! Stop using perfectly good aides that help people as a bad word! Crutches, or other aides, do not make people lazy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"It's explained in the book/comic/almanac" as a defense for a film's plothole.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sociopastry posted:

This and pure not-having-enough-time is why I haven't picked Japanese back up in over 7 years. I took two semesters of it and the Japanese department was so completely underfunded as to be almost nonexistent. Just one really sweet Japanese lady who wanted to share her language and culture with everyone and was super enthusiastic about teaching.

It was where I realized that otakus have the worst pronunciation ever.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Troutful posted:

My dog peeve is skittish owners who cross the road with their dog when they see me walking nearby, instead of passing me on the sidewalk. It's probably the polite thing to do, but as a dog person I feel insulted.

I get this, but sometimes it's just part of training your animal. My puppy doesn't deal with distractions well when we're walking, so I'm taking steps to introduce them to him slowly. This means crossing the street when possible so he doesn't try to jump on strangers and stays focused. Once he's more well behaved and can follow commands amid distractions we'll be more approachable. That said, I'm probably not the person you're peeved at. I usually cross casually as soon as I see someone approaching in the distance, not skittering across the street in a panic because I didn't see you at the last minute. Or we can't cross and have to pass each other I'll at least talk to people before we get close so they know we're still training and not just antisocial assholes.

Why on Earth to people need to get so loud and excited when they see a dog out for a walk? I think Egon would probably be much more ok with strangers if every other person didn't come running up screaming their affection for him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
People who write weary instead of wary can gently caress right off.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah and once you step outside with a dog people for some reason think its free reign to run up and start petting them or picking them up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The word "problematic" has reached total saturation. The worst is when it's used to describe people. I just saw someone on Facebook say regarding Ghost in the Shell, "I've lost all respect for Scarlett Johansson after this. She was problematic at first, but this really takes the cake."

No, Scarlett Johansson is not any more "problematic" than the rest of the human race. Her decisions might be, but that doesn't make her very existence so.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

The word "problematic" has reached total saturation. The worst is when it's used to describe people. I just saw someone on Facebook say regarding Ghost in the Shell, "I've lost all respect for Scarlett Johansson after this. She was problematic at first, but this really takes the cake."

No, Scarlett Johansson is not any more "problematic" than the rest of the human race. Her decisions might be, but that doesn't make her very existence so.

ScarlettJo delenda est

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This and pure not-having-enough-time is why I haven't picked Japanese back up in over 7 years. I took two semesters of it and the Japanese department was so completely underfunded as to be almost nonexistent. Just one really sweet Japanese lady who wanted to share her language and culture with everyone and was super enthusiastic about teaching.

It was where I realized that otakus have the worst pronunciation ever.

My best friend had planned to go to Japan since we were kids; he took language classes, read up on customs and idioms, made sure that he understood the specific local culture of every place he wanted to visit... and when he got there, he realized he still didn't know enough conversational Japanese to get by. He was pretty devastated. Learning a new language can be pretty frustrating when you can't find anyone to talk to.

Content: :mad: WHY IS SUNSCREEN SO loving EXPENSIVE?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I somehow always wind up with coworkers like this. I'll be doing something or reading an article, and for some reason that seems like the perfect time to tell me for the fiftieth time how their neighbor's dog keeps wandering into their backyard or whatever. I don't care if they're trying to be nice, I have other things to do.

But the worst is when they let you think they're done, but they're not. So my coworker will finish their story, let me get back to work, and then:

"... Because I just think people should watch their dogs."

"Oh.. Um, yeah, definitely."

"I mean, I don't let my dog go into their yard."

"Of course not."

"Honestly, I think that's just rude. I hate rude neighbors."

"Mm."

"You should always be nice to your neighbors."

OH MY GOD STOP TALKING

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Cashiers who start long rear end conversations with customers, holding up the line. Like, "wow kale, this is so good for you, you know! This one time I ate some kale with mustard and it was sooooo good, have you tried that?" This happens mostly at Trader Joes. Then I feel bad for being angry because they're just being nice and friendly, but having to wait 10 minutes to buy a 50 cent bottle of water because you're telling anecdotes is really irritating. And I could have gone to the lovely grocery store across the street where all the cashiers want to kill themselves so they do everything super fast, but the water there is 4 times the price, and sometimes they don't have any water except those giant 20-packs.

OH and when a new checkout opens up and the people behind you rush over there to be first. I was next, rear end in a top hat!

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cash crab posted:

Content: :mad: WHY IS SUNSCREEN SO loving EXPENSIVE?

FYI don't fall for the marketing trap of "higher SPF = better!"

There's an issue of diminishing returns the higher you go. SPF 30 blocks ~97% of harmful UVB rays, and by jumping up to SPF 50 you only earn another one percent's worth of protection. That's it. And those high SPF sunscreens are priced as if they're liquid gold.

Unless you are literally a vampire, 15-30 is fine. Anything more, and you're paying out the rear end for absolutely negligible increases in protection. Just remember to reapply regularly :sun: