Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Oxxidation posted:

I killed one and saw that it dropped 4 times the souls of any other enemy in the place except the Darkwraith. I don't think they're meant to be fought. Their aggro range is fairly small but their patrol routes are regular and they gently caress you up if you're seen, so I figured they were meant to further limit your mobility in the swamp.

A couple of them auto-drop good, unique items, so they're definitely meant to be killed. But you need to work for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Farron GS is awesome even just for the L1 alone and I'd recommend it any day over the wolf stance other thing. Even in PvP it's been fun as hell, the L1 slide can really easily just zoom you behind someone turtling and you can proceed to spin all over their back.

Literally styling opponents to death at this point.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Anyone have any advice on The nameless king? Namely, if there any good strategy for not getting wrecked by the camera deciding you don't deserve to see what the boss is doing now in the first half and for the second half, is it just me or do all of his attacks have this weird delay to them? It's really throwing me off after so many bosses with little to no delay. It also feels like it's never safe to attack him; it's not the infinite poise, that's pretty boss standard, it's more that he never seems to actually not be attacking and even with the relatively speedy dark sword, I've found myself getting owned after trying to get a hit in.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

that sword is 100% the easiest parry in the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not anymore than I've seen from UGS in general yet, so screw em, I'm gonna abuse this fun thing while I can.

Also there'll always be a huge amount of people who never learn to parry anyway and just prefer to turtle up, so :v:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
ooooh my god. Aldrich is trying me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

il serpente cosmico posted:

A couple of them auto-drop good, unique items, so they're definitely meant to be killed. But you need to work for it.

They're actually really easy to kill. Notice how they're all conveniently located next big bonfires?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there a way to bring the rickety bridge down that is right before High Lord Wolnir? It seems that starting from the hidden bonfire and climbing up to it to get to the boss would be much faster than the official way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

Protip: they're quite vulnerable to fire. Use a fire ball pyromancy or (black) firebombs and you can take off most/all of their HP from a distance. also true of the abyss hollows.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Daynab posted:

So in smouldering lake I skipped the room (rooms?) with the lava cause it would kill me before I could reach the items, thinking there would be a lava walking ring like DS1 but never found it. Was there anything good there and how was I supposed to get them?

Stack fire protection and walk through it while chugging estus, it's dumb but it works.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

okay so i got up to aldrich and can safely say that i think this is the best dark souls game

also i had a great deal of fun learning that the maggot guys that cause bleed damage in the cemetary and dungeons are a cakewalk if you smack 'em with your torch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

GreyPowerVan posted:

that sword is 100% the easiest parry in the game.

It is, but there's enough lag in most PvP matches that trying to parry anything is probably a bad idea. I've had tons of people try to parry me when I use a GS, but I think I've only had someone pull it off once or twice. Most people spend so much time rolling that even if you get poise broken or parried, there's like a 75% chance that the person is going to roll away from you expecting a counterattack instead of a riposte opportunity.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Abyss Watchers fight is why I play Dark Souls. My heart was pounding when it was over, it was amazing.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Demon's fist is kind of hilarious in pvp

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Haha, holy poo poo this stupid fat preacher thing grabbed me and exploded. Christ.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Bass Bottles posted:

is ODK one of the harder bosses in the game?

Was on the tricky side for me doing him with a +6 weapon right after Wolnir. Moves aren't that bad to dodge except his smash at his feet comes out really fast. It's mostly that he has so much HP you're bound to make mistakes.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So I'm farming this great sword black knight because I want the armor and the sword. They were thoughtful enough to put a crucified hollow right next to the door you walk past, if you run he aggros. I think they're my least favorite enemy right now just because of their sounds. The super large attack radius and weird semi-grab thing they do is annoying too.

If this is in Falros Keep(I forgot what weapon the on in there has), you can hug the right wall in the tiny little room connecting the bonfire room and the one with the black knight and he wont aggro.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there any place early on to farm titanite shards? I just got to Cathedral of the Deep and I really want to try something other than my starting sword without being gimped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I missed a bunch of weapons by not transposing them. I knew I should have saved those boss souls for something. I definitely want to reroll now.

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

Soft caps are 40 for weapon scaling for all stats.

Going 20s in str/dex is a good idea if you want to use a good variety of weapons. And maybe a bit of Int/fth for the weapons that require those but are primarily str/dex-based.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's the soft cap on stuff?

For scaling weapon damage, it's 40. Past, say, 40 Strength, weapons that scale with Strength get a lot less benefit per point. That's true for weapons that scale with Intelligence and/or Faith, too.

For Vigor, you get a lot of HP per point up to 27, which gets you 1000 HP. After that it slows down but doesn't hit the second major cap until 50. That said most people find 27-30 is enough for the main game. Endurance soft-caps at 40.

For scaling spells, the soft-cap is 60. Sorcery and miracles keep getting stronger until 60 Intelligence or Faith, respectively, and pyromancy soft-caps whenever the sum of your Intelligence and Faith is 60 (like 30/30).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 18, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Darn, looks like one of the Mimics must have dropped the Symbol of Avarice without me noticing, because I'm pretty sure they're all dead and I don't have it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
(Catacombs secret spoiler) You can get your ear just by making sure the host gets to the boss door btw.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
some help please: I'm past the swamp in the catacombs. I have seen a fire guy under the bridge near a mimic chest, and the skeleton boss on top with the arm rings. I'd like to do another area first. Is there one? I've also done the cathedral of the deep, and killed the deacons. What branches are available? . Does the game open up at any point?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

redreader posted:

some help please: I'm past the swamp in the catacombs. I have seen a fire guy under the bridge near a mimic chest, and the skeleton boss on top with the arm rings. I'd like to do another area first. Is there one? I've also done the cathedral of the deep, and killed the deacons. What branches are available? . Does the game open up at any point?

That's it for now, but the fire guy leads to a side area that's pretty big, so you could go there. He's easy to kill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

Those are kinda your two choices. Either go kill the big skeleton, or go down past the fire demon into an optional fire-themed zone.

The game never really "opens up" the way Dark Souls 1 does. It's structured like Bloodborne: pretty much linear with a few side-areas. It branches more than Bloodborne does, in that there are a couple of side-areas that themselves lead to side-areas. And after big skeleton man you can kind of tackle the next two major bosses in whichever order you want--the path in Irithyll splits into two about halfway through.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

redreader posted:

after you kill skeleton arm rings it opens up a bit more

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The whole inner part of smoldering lake is probably my least favorite place in the game

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oxxidation posted:

I killed one and saw that it dropped 4 times the souls of any other enemy in the place except the Darkwraith. I don't think they're meant to be fought. Their aggro range is fairly small but their patrol routes are regular and they gently caress you up if you're seen, so I figured they were meant to further limit your mobility in the swamp.

There's a trick that makes them trivially easy to kill: get them to walk into a fire. There are all these little fires on the islands around them, just keep one between you and them and they'll just walk right into it and take a bunch of damage. Then you can run in and combo them to death or get them to do it again and die.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

slev posted:

The whole inner part of smoldering lake is probably my least favorite place in the game

I didn't really mind it. I thought the fireball enemies were pretty cool. Then again, I also didn't hate Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne.

loving Knight Slayer Tsorig can gently caress right off, though, and so can that ballista.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This fuckin Master Blaster boss pisses me off. Yes please triple swipe,telepoet behind me, wipe my lock on, and one-shot me with the line attack before I know whats going on

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
High Lord Wolnir is probably the easiest boss I've fought so far. Just dual wield and flank him from his left and right side and he goes down easily. The mist is slow so it is easy to roll away without getting too much damage from it.

Also is it required for me to fight Old Demon King?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there any place early on to farm titanite shards? I just got to Cathedral of the Deep and I really want to try something other than my starting sword without being gimped.

Go to the bonfire right you used right before you fought the Abyss Watchers. As soon as you spawn by the fire place immediately run backwards and fight the first three enemies. They drop titanite shards like candy.

Overbite posted:

The Abyss Watchers fight is why I play Dark Souls. My heart was pounding when it was over, it was amazing.

Agreed. Best boss fight in the game and possibly the best in the series. Possibly even better than O&S.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I missed a bunch of weapons by not transposing them. I knew I should have saved those boss souls for something. I definitely want to reroll now.

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

Endurance. Invest in endurance. Many of the boss fights are challenging because the player can only perform so many actions at a time. When you don't have the limitation you can attack and dodge with little penalty.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 18, 2016

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Man, it'd be really cool if just once in the past dozen tries I attempted it, if it actually let a phantom into fight a certain armor. Wish they'd fix this poo poo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
huh, interesting. you can fight dancer before vordt if you kill the npc with the bowl, apparently?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm getting really bored of straight swords, I'm not a huge fan of the super slow greataxes / UGS either, anyone got some good recommendations for weapons I might try out? I used to love GS in the previous games but the damage output compared to straight swords is just horrible.

Red hilted halberd is the poo poo. Long range, fairly high damage, meaty thrust (the time in which the animation counts as a hit is surprisingly long), awesome focus move for PVP, super-wide 1H swings, high poise damage for stun-locking knight-sized enemies, and the running R1 almost always catches runners in PVP. Biggest downside is that it weighs 8.0.

Bandit knife is good, too. Fast attack speed, bleed damage is good this time around and quick to proc, Quickstep is an awesome skill for pretty much everything, especially the swamp areas, better crits than straightswords (though not as good as a regular dagger), and you can apply bleed serum to make it proc bleed on like every other hit.

P sure both of these have fairly humble requirements.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

huh, interesting. you can fight dancer before vordt if you kill the npc with the bowl, apparently?

This is the only "sequence break" in the game, isn't it? It lets you get a few neat things early of you're really good at the game but it's a shame there's nothing like in DS1 where you could get all kinds of cool weapons and stuff if you had the master key and knew where to go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

High Lord Wolnir is probably the easiest boss I've fought so far. Just dual wield and flank him from his left and right side and he goes down easily. The mist is slow so it is easy to roll away without getting too much damage from it.

He owned me pretty hard a couple times, just because I kept getting swept into the dark cloud around his chest and not being able to escape. When I did beat him it took like 20 seconds though.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Agreed. Best boss fight in the game and possibly the best in the series. Possibly even better than O&S.

The atmosphere was top-notch but I thought it was too easy--maybe because it was a Bloodborne-style fight and I'm way better at Bloodborne than I ever was at any Souls game. The second phase needed more HP, I think--the boss died really quickly.

It's a fantastically cool fight though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think I made a big mistake outleveling/outgearing for Aldrich PVP. The only zones I can reliably get hits in are the arduously tedious Grand Archives and the final zone where I consistently warp into 4-man ganksquads. Guess I should have ground out my medals and ears at the start of them game where invasions are simple and blue hits are common.

Any maniac with loads of medals and ears (yeah right) have any spare? :kiddo:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 18, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm getting really bored of straight swords, I'm not a huge fan of the super slow greataxes / UGS either, anyone got some good recommendations for weapons I might try out? I used to love GS in the previous games but the damage output compared to straight swords is just horrible.

If you're open to a bigger ultra greatsword, the Astora Greatsword is significantly better than it looks. Make it Refined and its effective AR skyrockets (assuming you have 20+ Str/Dex), and it has a wonderful moveset. Its weapon art is a spear/halberd charge, not the usual sweep or guard break art. It's a weird weapon--its base damage is very low, but when you infuse it (either Refined or any of the magic infusions) its scaling goes way up and it's awesome.

If you want something a little faster, I've heard great things about the Hollowslayer Greatsword (make it from the soul of the Curse-Rotted Greatwood). Bonus is that it does extra damage to hollows, which makes it great for the first half of the game or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's loads of enemies that drop shards nonstop if you progress the game even a little bit. You can also just buy them off of the shrine maiden if you get the ashes near Farron.