Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just got to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley how far am I into the game? Half-way done?

Harrow posted:

The atmosphere was top-notch but I thought it was too easy--maybe because it was a Bloodborne-style fight and I'm way better at Bloodborne than I ever was at any Souls game. The second phase needed more HP, I think--the boss died really quickly.

It's a fantastically cool fight though.

What really sells it is that you have to fight the boss head on. You observe his movements and punish him. It feels sort of like you are playing a fighting game than an action RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

If you're open to a bigger ultra greatsword, the Astora Greatsword is significantly better than it looks. Make it Refined and its effective AR skyrockets (assuming you have 20+ Str/Dex), and it has a wonderful moveset. Its weapon art is a spear/halberd charge, not the usual sweep or guard break art. It's a weird weapon--its base damage is very low, but when you infuse it (either Refined or any of the magic infusions) its scaling goes way up and it's awesome.

I used the Astora Greatsword against the King of the Storm since it was hard to hit with my straight sword, and at +10 Refined with a 40/40 build that thing is a beast. Couple of good blows to the head and I could visceral attack it... Which is one of the coolest things I've done in the game. I had to co-op a bit after that to show off to other people too :kimchi:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just got to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley how far am I into the game? Half-way done?

What really sells it is that you have to fight the boss head on. You observe his movements and punish him. It feels sort of like you are playing a fighting game than an action RPG.

Yea, that's probably about halfway through, excluding optional areas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, fights like that are always really fun in these games. I felt like the first one that really made me feel that way was Artorias, even moreso than False King Allant in Demon's Souls, and From's only getting better at them. My favorite Bloodborne bosses (Gehrman and Maria) are like that, too.

Your Computer posted:

I used the Astora Greatsword against the King of the Storm since it was hard to hit with my straight sword, and at +10 Refined with a 40/40 build that thing is a beast. Couple of good blows to the head and I could visceral attack it... Which is one of the coolest things I've done in the game. I had to co-op a bit after that to show off to other people too :kimchi:

I feel like I have to apologize to that sword. I hated it at first because it seemed so weak for its speed, but when I finally gave it a chance everything was great. The weapon art is what sold me--it's really fun in PvP.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The Irithyll Dungeon is real hard. Those guys that sap all my HP by just existing is real obnoxious as a claymore build.

I thought the swamp was pretty bad too. I miss the 'you dont get penalized for deep water' ring.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Alabaster White posted:

I think I made a big mistake outleveling/outgearing for Aldrich PVP. The only zones I can reliably get hits in are the arduously tedious Grand Archives and the final zone where I consistently warp into 4-man ganksquads. Guess I should have ground out my medals and ears at the start of them game where invasions are simple and blue hits are common.

Any maniac with loads of medals and ears (yeah right) have any spare? :kiddo:

What level?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is the deal with ancient wyvern? Game says to do a plunging attack, so I go to the highest point where a bunch of messages say "plunging attack!". It does 11 damage and I slide of the wyvern to my death.

This was kind of neat up until I fell to my death for the third time.

EDIT: The fourth time it just decided to work. Okay then.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 18, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the deal with ancient wyvern? Game says to do a plunging attack, so I go to the highest point where a bunch of messages say "plunging attack!". It does 11 damage and I slide of the wyvern to my death.

This was kind of neat up until I fell to my death for the third time.

It's not quite the highest point. It's the broken wall above it's head, rather than the wooden scaffolding above it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

a cop posted:

What level?

86, but that doesn't matter anymore with password matching. Add me on Steam and let's figure this out, assuming you are also on Steam.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm ps4 sorry!!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

a cop posted:

I'm ps4 sorry!!

gently caress

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Unpopular opinion time:

pvp is dumb

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I killed Aldritch and ended up at a dead end, now what?

Also where's this invader covenant leader chick at because I'm going hollow irl exploring the Cathedral of the Deep. I'm sure it has something to do with that one partition that you're supposed to walk across whose activation lever I can't find for the life of me.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Obligatum VII posted:

Anyone have any advice on The nameless king? Namely, if there any good strategy for not getting wrecked by the camera deciding you don't deserve to see what the boss is doing now in the first half and for the second half, is it just me or do all of his attacks have this weird delay to them? It's really throwing me off after so many bosses with little to no delay. It also feels like it's never safe to attack him; it's not the infinite poise, that's pretty boss standard, it's more that he never seems to actually not be attacking and even with the relatively speedy dark sword, I've found myself getting owned after trying to get a hit in.

Stay in front of the dragon's head, not behind. Don't try to rush in and attack him, just dodge the nameless King's attack and get a few hits in after then move back so the camera doesn't glitch out. If he does the flame breath you can sprint in and beat on his head enough that he falls over, then attach his eyes for a critical hit that does half his damage. I highly recommend using the Carthus Bloodring to increase your iframes and the lightning resist ring you get from that zone to counteract the resist penalty. I beat it first try after switching to that setup. I think the Nameless king is my favourite boss in the game, because he was the only one that gave me that sense of learning to master the fight over several attempts that O&S, Artorias, Alonne and Fume Knight did. Pontiff was a close second but his second phase was a joke which soured me on him. A lot of others had potential but you just have way too many resources, both estus and stamina, for them to be a proper challenge. Feels a bit cheap if you beat them first or second attempt after getting hit by their moves a dozen times but you heal right back up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I think I made a big mistake outleveling/outgearing for Aldrich PVP. The only zones I can reliably get hits in are the arduously tedious Grand Archives and the final zone where I consistently warp into 4-man ganksquads. Guess I should have ground out my medals and ears at the start of them game where invasions are simple and blue hits are common.

I'm kind of sad that my character's like 55 right now and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see another Blue Sentinel hit, which is a shame because I really want the Darkmoon Ring at least. Darkmoon Blade would be nice, too, in case I end up switching this to a heavy Faith build in NG+ like I'm tempted to.

I guess I'll just have to start a new character and do a ton of low-level PvP if I want that. :smith:

Blue invasions in the last area aren't good, eh?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
So I'm at the end, I went in blind, and goddamn was it amazing. I can't wait for the DLC. I have a question though.

I read before it came out that there was going to be some sort of mechanic where you could "prime" bosses. Anyone have any idea what that is?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr Dog posted:

I killed Aldritch and ended up at a dead end, now what?

Also where's this invader covenant leader chick at because I'm going hollow irl exploring the Cathedral of the Deep. I'm sure it has something to do with that one partition that you're supposed to walk across whose activation lever I can't find for the life of me.

Folow the river to the bonfire then go down that path.

Rosaria's Fingers is accessed by taking the shortcut from the cathedral bonfire up to the undead with a crossbow, then go round the ledge up the ladder and get on to the rafters. Drop down on the other side to the obvious wooden balcony and follow the path.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, the game seems REALLY stingy with titanite slabs. I've found only two One that Seigward gave me, one that Havel was guarding, which is a shame because there are several weapons I'd like to max.

is there any point that the ability to get slabs in an unlimited supply opens up? Is it miserably tedious? The shrine lady sells everything but slabs in infinite supply for me.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Obligatum VII posted:

So, the game seems REALLY stingy with titanite slabs. I've found only two One that Seigward gave me, one that Havel was guarding, which is a shame because there are several weapons I'd like to max.

is there any point that the ability to get slabs in an unlimited supply opens up? Is it miserably tedious? The shrine lady sells everything but slabs in infinite supply for me.

kill winged dudes at top of archives

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
pvp is cool and good

Orv
May 4, 2011

Watrick posted:

So I'm at the end, I went in blind, and goddamn was it amazing. I can't wait for the DLC. I have a question though.

I read before it came out that there was going to be some sort of mechanic where you could "prime" bosses. Anyone have any idea what that is?

That and the making bonfires out of bosses were both things we heard before release that were never more than speculation.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CJ posted:

Folow the river to the bonfire then go down that path.

Rosaria's Fingers is accessed by taking the shortcut from the cathedral bonfire up to the undead with a crossbow, then go round the ledge up the ladder and get on to the rafters. Drop down on the other side to the obvious wooden balcony and follow the path.

I um... don't have the left hand shortcut unlocked :ohdear:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Obligatum VII posted:

My handmaiden sells them for 30k. Check the wiki to find which ash you need.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

There's several hidden around Lothric Castle. The golden angels on top of the archives drop one if you kill all 3, and there's one hidden under the second elevator at the last shortcut.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alabaster White posted:

Covenant items can't be traded I'm afraid. Discovered this today. :ughh:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr Dog posted:

I um... don't have the left hand shortcut unlocked :ohdear:

I think it's opened from the ground floor of the main hall, where the cathedral knight is patrolling with the Thralls.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, I discovered that candle jack is in this game and it's really awe

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Covenant items can't be traded I'm afraid. Discovered this today. :ughh:

gently caress

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

CJ posted:

My handmaiden sells them for 30k. Check the wiki to find which ash you need.

iirc this comes from beating the final boss

theres also a slab at the bottom of the elevator by lothric's fight

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I never thought I'd be a lumberjack in Dark Souls. What a visceral, if very strange, fight.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finished the main story last night and linked the fire. Ended up needing help (or just not wanting to be frustrated anymore) on: Pontiff, Watchers, and the final boss--don't recall summoning for any others. I didn't try solo that many times on the last fight, I just wanted to end the run and get back to exploration before NG+.

Aside from not just "gitting gud", these fights were simply more fun with someone kiting the boss while the other 1+ guy(s) beat the snot out of it. I used a longsword and blood longsword for ~99% of the time and a longbow to hit/pull jerks once in a while.

Now using the classic greatsword. I'm debating how much I like the attack speed versus the crazy loving combos most of the normal mooks throw in your face this game though.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So earlier in the thread someone was complaining about not getting bluemoon summons and was told about some ibternet settings he could try out, but the link was broke. Does anyone have any list of the ports forwarded (????) And secondly how to do that? I'd consider myself pretty computer literate but router stuff has a special level of magic around it for me.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the internet settings to try out are: nothing it's hosed, not enough people invading because of 3v1 gameplay

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Obligatum VII posted:

You're limited to something like 5 or 6 per NG, several of which require successfully completing (or reaching the final "step" of) NPC questlines.

The handmaiden does eventually sell them, but she only has one, not an unlimited amount.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tear em to shreds, tear em to bits! Gather around and kill the host swift!

We've been hoarding these shackles forever, we have!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For pyro weapon infusion, any difference between dark and chaos? Just wondering what would be better for someone with high FAITH and INT. I was also thinking that dark axe you get from the first mimic would be a great starting weapon.

edit: deep battle axe, so maybe not as great

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 18, 2016

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm about 10 hours into the game and my game has started crashing within seconds of loading into the world at firelink shrine, what do I do? I've tried lowering all my settings but it hasn't helped.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mazerunner posted:

Unpopular opinion time:

pvp is dumb

It's a janky, unbalanced mess, but it's also a total blast. I dunno why, From's PvP just works for me. I think because it doesn't pretend to be super-serious / competitive / fair, and because there's nothing at stake but your time, it lets you just do dumb stuff and mess around and not get angry at video games or whatever. Like it can be frustrating in the heat of the moment when some total bullshit happens, but afterward I usually find myself laughing about it. It's just got a weirdly perfect balance of legitimate fun and high tension without all of the downsides that comes with a lot of other PvP games.

Funkmaster General posted:

You're limited to something like 5 or 6 per NG, several of which require successfully completing (or reaching the final "step" of) NPC questlines.

The handmaiden does eventually sell them, but she only has one, not an unlimited amount.

There are 8 that you can find in each game cycle, and there's one group of enemies that has a very rare chance of dropping them after that. This game is pretty drat generous with them. They aren't as common as in DS2, but waaay more common than DS1 and Bloodborne.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 18, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
IF U AIN'T USING BOWS THEN U LOSING FAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In the Cathedral I'm really confused. I am in the big watery area with two giants, both dead at this point. I raised two of the platforms and am struggling to find a lever for the third. I thought I only had two raised so I took the elevator up near the Deacons boss fight. To an area I visited earlier and wished I had raised the platformr, except now there was an onion knight there telling me about treasure on the other side of the raised bridge. I ran out and we all know what happens. The platforms lower and now I'm back to trying to raise all three. Am I overlooking the platform lever that Mr. Not-So-Onion-Knight was standing next to?