Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Are there any streams of reactions from crowds outside the House building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

fnox posted:

If it were a bunch of guys in suits sitting down and raising their hands to vote nobody would be watching this.

I dont know, our votings are just what you described and I've watched plenty.

Great White Hope posted:

Are there any streams of reactions from crowds outside the House building?

The crowd is inside the House

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Video of vote 342

http://g1.globo.com/politica/processo-de-impeachment-de-dilma/cobertura-ao-vivo.html#/glb-feed-post/57144274c22d621c73824d80

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i live on a somewhat affluent neighbourhood and they are sending loving fireworks and hollering

Same here. It's super weird.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Globo continues to control politics in Brazil. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so loving sad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HardDisk posted:

I live pretty close to the park where the pro-impeachment crowd tends to hang around during manifestations. Yeah, I'm hearing fireworks and poo poo.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Ok so it seems like Dilma is no longer President, at least in the duration of the Senate investigations. Once those investigations are concluded, the Senate will vote on either restoring or removing Dilma for good. The vicepresident, Temer, is now the president.

This centrist/right wing wave that is currently happening in Latin America is interesting. I guess that we'll only truly see what it'll lead to when Maduro and Evo are gone.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So when would Rousseff be booted out? Like are we assuming that the trial is a done deal as well or is the senate controlled by her allies?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

We're so hosed roflmao

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

was a weird tweet it's gone now.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 18, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HardDisk posted:

Some votes had the sort of fireworks reserved for goals in the world cup.

fnox posted:

Ok so it seems like Dilma is no longer President, at least in the duration of the Senate investigations. Once those investigations are concluded, the Senate will vote on either restoring or removing Dilma for good. The vicepresident, Temer, is now the president.

And Eduardo Cunha will be the acting vice-president. That will certainly go well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

We're so hosed roflmao

Someone better find me a decent quality "best-of" video so I can superimpose Komm Susser Tod over it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How much of a revoltuion/coup will be needed to eliminate Brazil's corrupt political system into something...saner?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grouchio posted:

How much of a revoltuion/coup will be needed to eliminate Brazil's corrupt political system into something...saner?

this kind of process doesn't generally actually reduce corruption to any serious degree, especially simple maneuvering like this - even actual revolutions often fail that, c.f. ukraine

corruption dies out in stable, predictable political systems with a firm grasp of the rule of law - or, rather, it's channeled into more acceptable and mitigated channels like lobbying, earmarks &c

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grouchio posted:

Robespierre's reign of terror lasting a whole decade or so.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Grouchio posted:

You just need to break the midia oligopoly that still controls most of the politics to this day. The sad thing is that according to the constitution said oligopoly should be illegal to begin with but no one does anything to enforce the law.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the impeachment of dilma rouseff is going to do as much about corruption in brazil as the prosecution of bo xilai did about corruption in china

even talking about it seems to be missing the point

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Kill everyone in the Fiesp and its ilk and 2/3rds of every politician, drop a tactical nuke on the Projac and smaller bombs on the media companies in São Paulo (optimistically)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What corrupt political system? Dilma is out, corruption is gone now. :buddy:

I'm not serious, oh god

fake edit: JHC said that there are elections in North Korea wtf.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jesus loving christ

every vote that went like "I AM DEDICATING THIS VOTE FOR MY FAMILY" no gently caress you vote regarding the goddamn issue you fucks

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's like they are on goddamn Xuxa or something

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Kill everyone in the Fiesp and its ilk and 2/3rds of every politician, drop a tactical nuke on the Projac and smaller bombs on the media companies in São Paulo (optimistically)

nah, you'd still have plenty of colonels that'd still own brazil.

people focus too much on globo and fiesp and stuff, and forget that brazil is in fact a filled with uneducated conservative catholics/evangelicals.

Transmetropolitan posted:

every vote that went like "I AM DEDICATING THIS VOTE FOR MY FAMILY" no gently caress you vote regarding the goddamn issue you fucks

lol

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

jesus loving christ

Didn't someone try to get his kid to talk? I think it was vote 343

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Didn't someone try to get his kid to talk? I think it was vote 343

Even Cunha couldn't handle that guy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, a lot of those guys go way back to the Portuguese aristocracy that was granted lands in the colonies, can't fault them for valuing family!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

What do you consider particularly corrupt about the current Brazilian system?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Final tally:
https://twitter.com/galilas/status/721882907539816449

:laffo: at insurance agent guy

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Magrov posted:

nah, you'd still have plenty of colonels that'd still own brazil.

people focus too much on globo and fiesp and stuff, and forget that brazil is in fact a filled with uneducated conservative catholics/evangelicals.

lol

Conservative Catholics and Evangelicals who explicitly believe in a social hierarchy. There is a reason everyone middle class and above thinks it is the most natural thing in the world if a doctor chargers different prices depending on whether someone wants a receipt or not, but gets super upset with Bolsa Familia.

Of the three acquaintances who would send me the most aggressive anti-Dilma "let's end corruption" messages on whatsapp, one is a doctor who received a salary as a city employee without ever showing up because his uncle was the mayor, another makes a small fortune by converting dollars to reais off the books for people, and the last is a woman who married an American, became a US citizen, and decided never to report her Brazilian income and properties (plural) in her American taxes. And none of them see that as contradictory, even when you point it out to them.

Edit: 16 of the 21 members of congress under investigation by Lava Jato voted in favor of the impeachment. And somehow people still believe that the impeachment is a positive step in terms of fighting corruption.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 18, 2016

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

fnox posted:

Not really, the process now goes to senate where they first vote on whether to actually open the process (needs a simple majority, 41 out of 81 senate votes), in which case she is suspended for up to 6 months while the senate deliberates on the conviction, which in turn needs 2/3 of the senate votes to pass.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

In 180 days, a Temer presidency with a favorable congress can do a lot of damage.

I figure that the internet civil regulations and third-party labor contract for any/all professions are going to be the first big hits. Perhaps a general interest rate hike as well. gently caress.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

In 180 days, a Temer presidency with a favorable congress can do a lot of damage.

I figure that the internet civil regulations and third-party labor contract for any/all professions are going to be the first big hits. Perhaps a general interest rate hike as well. gently caress.

Temer is going to lift Dilma's veto on campaign donations from corporations. The right wing literally can not exist without private companies bribes/campaign donations and that veto was one the most progressive things to come out from the PT years of government so I'm pretty sure it will be one of the first things to go.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
My personal doomsaying predictions:

Temer and pals scuttle investigations and pass tons of crappy, vile stuff. Non-PSDB people get furious, but not enough to demonstrate or switch sides to progressives. They just abandon politics for another generation.

Hardcore PSDB/Aecistas don't give a crap, gear up for elections and make bank like crazy under relaxed funding rules. Have a hard time finding a candidate that isn't soiled to the gills, and infighting also grows as every opportunist feels this is the time to hog the spotlight. Bolsonaro and the evangelical block becomes the cornerstone of the Right.

Worker's party and satellites coalesce around Lula as their last shot, which only makes the other side all the more rabid. 2018 election comes down between him and some compromise christian fetish figure, likely Bolsonaro or Moro, or some empty suit with one of them as VP.

If Lula wins? Coup. A naked one this time.

If the conservatives win, big-time financial and elite rollback of the few advances of the last decade will be enshrined. No one will give a toss about corruption or growth, as long as the 20% of the people that -matters- still make bank. Everyne who disagrees can expect a nightstick to the mouth and tear gas bombs, and no one will care.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Has the US pronounced anything on the issue? You'd think Hillary would say sometuing about a female president being ousted, eh?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Has the US pronounced anything on the issue? You'd think Hillary would say sometuing about a female president being ousted, eh?

That's a terrible idea, given South America's history. The moment anything other than bland neutrality leaves a US offical's mouth you'll start to see accusations of bloody imperialism and interventionism on all sides.

This is a cluaterfuck that the US would do well to stay away from.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has the US pronounced anything on the issue? You'd think Hillary would say something about a female president being ousted, eh?

I'm pretty sure we are more concerned about Zika and the Olympics not ending in blood and tears than we are about this. ^:v:^

Also Freezer's point is right on the money.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Latin America's record with female presidents haven't been great, I mean, you have the devil's daughter Cristina Kirchner alongside Dilma Rouseff and Laura Chinchilla, compared to like, Michelle Bachelet.

Then again, Latin America has had a record number of terrible presidents regardless of their gender.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Looks like Brazil won't be transforming into a world power any time soon. :smug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brazil is the country of the future, and always will be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fnox posted:

Latin America's record with female presidents haven't been great, I mean, you have the devil's daughter Cristina Kirchner alongside Dilma Rouseff and Laura Chinchilla, compared to like, Michelle Bachelet.

Then again, Latin America has had a record number of terrible presidents regardless of their gender.

Keiko Fujimori....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Outside of a military/communist coup, I don't think America gives a gently caress about what happens politically here - in the public sphere, of course. If we're talking about candidates, they give even less of a gently caress - there's nothing to be gained from taking a position about that issue, except for some international headaches.

I'm just afraid this whole mess ends up making our extreme-right conservatives viable presidency options in...whenever the next general elections are, because who the gently caress knows anymore. Realistically, Marina Silva is the one that should get a boost next elections, perhaps a right liberal like Eduardo Jorge. Then again, realistically we shouldn't even be in this mess anymore.