  • Post
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Roadbikes are built to be -just- tough enough to not blow up constantly. They use much fewer spokes to keep weight down. A mountain bike, even a cheap one, is going to be able to put up with much more abuse than your standard road bike.

Whatever the exact reason, it only happens to me on 700c road wheels. I've never bust a 26" spoke on a mtb wheel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Saga posted:

Whatever the exact reason, it only happens to me on 700c road wheels. I've never bust a 26" spoke on a mtb wheel.

The spokes are longer on a 700c wheel.
If everything else is equal a 26in wheel will always be stronger.
A road wheel also has a narrower spacing, (130 v. 135 mm) which makes is weaker as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here, have pictures of a mechanical failure.

Posted to a local WJ FB group with the explanation of "it let go on the highway".

Well at least the seal is reusable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Driving on the highway in 4-HI, or lack of lubrication?

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

ExplodingSims posted:

Do impending mechanical failures count?
I got to work on this lovely unit the other day.

gently caress Salt.

Ran into this poo poo constantly when I was in the business. Hello HVAC buddy.

Yeah, when you run your finger across the condenser coil and it disintegrates, it ain't good. When you spray leak detector on it and it looks like one of those kid's toys that makes piles of foam, it ain't good either, and it's always "It worked fine yesterday" when "yesterday" was July 3rd.

gently caress aluminum coils too, while we're at it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Lugnut chat: A guy I work with bought new tires for his Ford Ranger at WalMart because he was in a hurry. They left a lugnut with half a stud broken off in it in the cupholder, and a note on the service sheet saying "customer must have cross-threaded it, it broke off on removal."

Dude's a car guy (has a Nissan 240 project he's working on [bought the salvage-title Ranger as a DD while he puts a new engine in the 240], a '65 Mustang basket case in storage back home in SoCal, and is currently restoring a coworker's '69 Ford pickup), rotates the tires himself and starts the lugnuts by hand, it's obvious from the direction of the tear that the Walmart tech went to town with the impact and cross-threaded/twisted it off putting it on. According to a friend of his who works at WalMart, they'll pay for the third-party repair job if he complains enough.

He showed it to me a couple weeks ago and I forgot about it, on Monday I'll ask if he got it fixed.

I got tires at WalMart (well, Sam's Club) once -- the first set I bought for my first car ('84 Jeep SJ in '1997) -- and they didn't break any studs, but did somehow manage to give me a defective tire AND mount it backwards (was the cheapest BFG A/T with directional tread).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is actually kind of an awesome mechanical failure. Probably been posted before, this thread's been around for ages, but it's still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsSVLZ6wCI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here, have pictures of a mechanical failure.

Posted to a local WJ FB group with the explanation of "it let go on the highway".

drat, he's lucky it didn't take out the brake and fuel lines. They should be checked for shrapnel damage.

50/50 chance of that being lack of oil in the tcase or a seized double cardan joint causing the driveshaft to violently rip the case in half. Melted shift fork bushings, signs of heat damage, trashed bearing surfaces, and powdered metal all over the inside of the case? No oil. Otherwise, check the driveshaft for seizure.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The failure is me...I brought my car to an indie to get some struts out (seized in with rust) that I got stuck on. This is what I get, I guess.I just got the car up on stands to take a look at it, work was about a week ago. Been driving it to and from work. Thats one strut mount hole just...bored out? Slag everywhere from I guess drilling or grinding the old bolts/sleeves out. They literally just put a crush washer on and installed the new bolt on top of the slag. I am speechless, they are local and I am going to walk over there and talk to them about it. They arent touching my car ever again, I am getting 100% of my money back and a new trailing arm, at the least. gently caress.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 20, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

The failure is me...I brought my car to an indie to get some struts out (seized in with rust) that I got stuck on. This is what I get, I guess.I just got the car up on stands to take a look at it, work was about a week ago. Been driving it to and from work. Thats one strut mount hole just...bored out? Slag everywhere from I guess drilling or grinding the old bolts/sleeves out. They literally just put a crush washer on and installed the new bolt on top of the slag. I am speechless, they are local and I am going to walk over there and talk to them about it. They arent touching my car ever again, I am getting 100% of my money back and a new trailing arm, at the least. gently caress.

That's not from grinding or drilling, that's from a torch. I've done the same thing before, but if you are careful, you can not completely monkeyfuck the holes. You just cut the bottom tabs off the shock, burn the rubber bushing away, heat up the inner sleeve, and hammer the bolt out. Jesus H Christ...

I also like the Grade 3 (AKA Cheese-grade) bolt without flanged nut. Guess they were too cheap to spring for new OEM hardware.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ah, I see. As I was buttoning up my car, I walked my shin right into a jackstand. So as far as my anger level, I am at the "look for sedatives" stage

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

That's not from grinding or drilling, that's from a torch. I've done the same thing before, but if you are careful, you can not completely monkeyfuck the holes. You just cut the bottom tabs off the shock, burn the rubber bushing away, heat up the inner sleeve, and hammer the bolt out. Jesus H Christ...

I also like the Grade 3 (AKA Cheese-grade) bolt without flanged nut. Guess they were too cheap to spring for new OEM hardware.

Is that bolt not grade 5?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So it is, three dashes. That also means that it's SAE, instead of metric. :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

The failure is me...I brought my car to an indie to get some struts out (seized in with rust) that I got stuck on. This is what I get, I guess.I just got the car up on stands to take a look at it, work was about a week ago. Been driving it to and from work. Thats one strut mount hole just...bored out? Slag everywhere from I guess drilling or grinding the old bolts/sleeves out. They literally just put a crush washer on and installed the new bolt on top of the slag. I am speechless, they are local and I am going to walk over there and talk to them about it. They arent touching my car ever again, I am getting 100% of my money back and a new trailing arm, at the least. gently caress.

How do you do that and not weld in a new plate?! That's scary.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Driving on the highway in 4-HI, or lack of lubrication?

It is (well, was) a NV247 so there is no 4WD high range locked - just "All Time" that uses a gerotor-based lockup in the event of rear wheel slippage. Only other choices are neutral and 4Lo.

I'm thinking Kastein is right on with the driveshaft suggestion. There was a later photo posted with the back half of the thing absolutely soaked in NV247 juice. I can't think of any way the case would manage to dump all of its fluid quickly enough to cause that failure without being noticed.

Edit: Kastein, is there any knowledge rattling around in your head on how much of a pain it would be to swap a JK 241 in place of a V8 WJ 247? While I hope to never need to, I've literally seen the standard 241s get given away for free locally.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
A customer came in.

Invoice said:

FRONT BRAKE ROTORS
REAR BRAKE ROTORS
PA STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS INSPECTION
COURTESY CHECK
Order Notes: Customer installed own pads and now it makes grinding noise, thinks it needs rotors now.

There seems to be a SLIGHT issue with the inner pad here...

That's right - the backing plate of that inner pad is against the rotor. It finally happened. I didn't think I'd ever see it - but there it is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CommieGIR posted:

How do you do that and not weld in a new plate?! That's scary.

Look what they did with a fuckin' torch - i don't think they get a bonus round with the mig. It's a blessing they didn't weld on a coverup/fix plate - at least now the damage is hilariously obvious and thus actionable.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

0toShifty posted:

A customer came in.

Invoice said:

FRONT BRAKE ROTORS
REAR BRAKE ROTORS
PA STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS INSPECTION
COURTESY CHECK
Order Notes: Customer installed own pads and now it makes grinding noise, thinks it needs rotors now.

There seems to be a SLIGHT issue with the inner pad here...

That's right - the backing plate of that inner pad is against the rotor. It finally happened. I didn't think I'd ever see it - but there it is.

How the everliving gently caress can you have sufficient mechanical knowledge to disassemble a caliper, retract the piston, remove the old pads, reinstall the new pads, and put the whole thing back together, yet still somehow get a pad back to front.

I know we all have off days, but that's a pretty obvious screw up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

metaxus posted:

How the everliving gently caress can you have sufficient mechanical knowledge to disassemble a caliper, retract the piston, remove the old pads, reinstall the new pads, and put the whole thing back together, yet still somehow get a pad back to front.

I know we all have off days, but that's a pretty obvious screw up.

All it takes is be in a rush or be way too tired to be working on something that important. My Dad (has been working on cars forever) managed to install a pad backwards in the race car last spring because it was 1am and they'd been working on poo poo since around 10am. They unloaded it from the trailer and I thought it sounded strange, did a lap around the paddock then pulled the wheel. Inner pad was backwards.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

0toShifty posted:

A customer came in.

Invoice said:

FRONT BRAKE ROTORS
REAR BRAKE ROTORS
PA STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS INSPECTION
COURTESY CHECK
Order Notes: Customer installed own pads and now it makes grinding noise, thinks it needs rotors now.

There seems to be a SLIGHT issue with the inner pad here...

That's right - the backing plate of that inner pad is against the rotor. It finally happened. I didn't think I'd ever see it - but there it is.

In my younger days of mechaniking ive done it. Ill admit. Noticed it right away on the test drive tho.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I once forgot to tighten a caliper bolt past hand tight when someone was talking to me during a brake swap. It fell out on the dirt road to the track. Was super glad I didn't make it on track that day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

I once forgot to tighten a caliper bolt past hand tight when someone was talking to me during a brake swap. It fell out on the dirt road to the track. Was super glad I didn't make it on track that day.

That is exactly how I lost a caliper bolt on my Miata this summer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

metaxus posted:

How the everliving gently caress can you have sufficient mechanical knowledge to disassemble a caliper, retract the piston, remove the old pads, reinstall the new pads, and put the whole thing back together, yet still somehow get a pad back to front.

I know we all have off days, but that's a pretty obvious screw up.

I worked with a guy who managed to do this exact thing not once, not twice, but three times on three different vehicles. In the span of like two weeks.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have lost brake pins from two different fleet rangers. On two seperate days. And two different trucks. Never did it again since. Now I use a 1/2 breaker bar for most bracket bolts and a long handle 3/8 for the slide bolts.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
A minor hydraulic fluid leak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQlNA2NJBI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crustashio posted:

I once forgot to tighten a caliper bolt past hand tight when someone was talking to me during a brake swap. It fell out on the dirt road to the track. Was super glad I didn't make it on track that day.

Forgot to install (or bend) a cotter pin that locks up the retaining pin for the pads. The retaining pin worked its way loose over the next 2-3 weeks and a pad popped out as I exited the interstate. My heart sank as quickly as the brake pedal, but it was probably the best possible time/place for that to happen.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The best part is watching like four guys trying to signal the operator to stop in different ways. :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Previa_fun posted:

The best part is watching like four guys trying to signal the operator to stop in different ways. :v:

Komatsu responded really quickly and really well. Looks like the crowd at the end was a lot larger, they got some decent publicity out of it and turned it into a positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdoSqPBjEQ

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Memento posted:

Komatsu responded really quickly and really well. Looks like the crowd at the end was a lot larger, they got some decent publicity out of it and turned it into a positive.

Hey, a Komatsu wasn't the basis of Killdozer for nothing. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Memento posted:

Komatsu responded really quickly and really well. Looks like the crowd at the end was a lot larger, they got some decent publicity out of it and turned it into a positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdoSqPBjEQ

Aw. Go Komatsu. :unsmith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:sad:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Memento posted:

Komatsu responded really quickly and really well. Looks like the crowd at the end was a lot larger, they got some decent publicity out of it and turned it into a positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdoSqPBjEQ

That's a really good spin on it. I imagine that eventually everything that big has oopsies on site, and showing they can get decontamination done and the unit back in service that quickly is probably a good look given how much of a pain environmental regs are (or supposed to be) about spills

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
They claim it only took them two hours to remove and replace all the contaminated soil - that's pretty drat good, actually. I'm impressed with the response!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well there was no shortage of earth moving equipment on site!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Their marketing manager isn't exactly Mr Charisma, is he?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Actually, I thought he did a fairly good job in this. Not only did he show off how easy it was to repair the larger piece of equipment, he also got in some feel good enviromental management stuff and showed off another one of the company's products without coming across like a ~salesman~.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, I thought he did a fairly good job in this. Not only did he show off how easy it was to repair the larger piece of equipment, he also got in some feel good environmental management stuff and showed off another one of the company's products without coming across like a ~salesman~.

From a marketing perspective, the environmental protection mentioned isn't there to make greenies feel good, it's there to make board members not violate EPA rules. So it's actually much more effective than you give credit because he's speaking to the operations managers who are responsible for the mine revenue to tell them how easy it was to get back online, and also the chief internal salesmen, and to the board who don't want to get sued out their rear end for breaking environmental laws and are also decision makers who write the cheques.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

spog posted:

Their marketing manager isn't exactly Mr Charisma, is he?

I take it you've never been to Germany.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, I thought he did a fairly good job in this. Not only did he show off how easy it was to repair the larger piece of equipment, he also got in some feel good enviromental management stuff and showed off another one of the company's products without coming across like a ~salesman~.

If it were me, I'd have fixed the big digger and then used it to clear up its own mess.

The not-paying-very-close-attention-to-the-voiceover message I took away was 'this show-prepped, brand new machine will piss itself and dump toxic waste over the ground and it takes so long to fix that we had to get another machine to clear it up before it melts the Earth's crust'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I take it you've never been to Germany.

I don't know, I once heard about a guy from Germany who was a pretty charismatic public speaker

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4