Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

psychoJ posted:

Man, I know some people were kind of down on some of the lore stuff making a direct return as too fanservicey, buuut(super huge later area spoilers) seeing the name ANOR LONDO just pop up on the screen was probably one of the bigger "holy poo poo" moments of this game to me. this game owns.

samesies, it gave me goosebumpz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ok what the hell Crystal Sage.

Second phase is just a mess, even with summon help. Magic from all sides as I try to focus on the purple one, and it's so hard to get in on him with those homing orbs. What the hell am I supposed to do, this is breaking my will.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So what exactly is the purpose of the unattended graves area, aside from being super loving creepy? I get that it's supposed to be the abyssal version of firelink given that the vendor sells artorias's armor, but why are there black knights there? The whole place just felt really wrong in such a creepy way. Like why do you get there from an illusory wall behind the even more creepy Seath like dude? Why do you find firekeeper's eyes there? Why is it taken by the abyss?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

psychoJ posted:

Man, I know some people were kind of down on some of the lore stuff making a direct return as too fanservicey, buuut(super huge later area spoilers) seeing the name ANOR LONDO just pop up on the screen was probably one of the bigger "holy poo poo" moments of this game to me. this game owns.

I have exactly zero problem with the full-on fanservice. All of it felt completely earned to me, honestly. It's a cool game all around.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Pfft. If that person got the first swing they would've hit 2-3 of them and made at least one roll so they could've followed that one and been given room to breathe.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I have absolutely zero clue why Mound Makers even exists as a covenant. I could get it if you also got the vertebrae by killing the boss, so you would summon a wildcard who you didn't know necessarily would stab you in the back if you were in a pinch, or if you could forcefully invade them, but otherwise it's a joke.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

psychoJ posted:

I almost shed a tear.

and then (big spoilers for that area) the giant was dead and then I did shed a tear

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Spanish Manlove posted:

So what exactly is the purpose of the unattended graves area, aside from being super loving creepy? I get that it's supposed to be the abyssal version of firelink given that the vendor sells artorias's armor, but why are there black knights there? The whole place just felt really wrong in such a creepy way. Like why do you get there from an illusory wall behind the even more creepy Seath like dude? Why do you find firekeeper's eyes there? Why is it taken by the abyss?

Yeah I would love to know more about the though process behind this area. It definitely gave me the super creeps and I'm still thinking about it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Welp finally finished my New Game playthrough. Definitely the best Souls game and it's not even close.

The final fight was great I really like how the Soul of Cinder uses all the same weapons and spells you use, really helps hammer home the lore of the cycle and that this lighting of the first flame has been going on for a really long time. The music was amazing too. When you get to the second phase and you hear the piano from Gwyn's theme :allears:

Now time to do NG+ and do all the quest lines I hosed up (I hosed them all up) and try and collect all the rings, sorceries, miracles and pyromancies.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 18, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Welp after 2.5 hours still can't beat the damned tutorial boss. Going to bed, maybe this game isn't for me.

:(

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

IMPORTNT QUESTION: Does this game change some stuff up for NG+ like DS2 or is everything exactly the same like in Bloodborne?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

JetsGuy posted:

Welp after 2.5 hours still can't beat the damned tutorial boss. Going to bed, maybe this game isn't for me.

Try rolling

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Thanks but I do that. A lot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Make sure you only do one hit and then back off, it helps with defense and for stamina management.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks but I do that. A lot.

:)

That boss is all about rolling at just the right time. Just get up right in his business, mash that weak-attack button, and roll right before he strikes. You're not trying to roll OUT OF THE WAY, either. You just need to be in the rolling animation when his attacks hit. Try rolling toward him so you can get in a strike right after his attack ends and he's wide open for a punish.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No Twinblades is pretty bullshit, they'd rock with the pace and item breakage setup.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Nameless King is giving me major Dragonball vibes. First phase isn't so bad, but CHRIST. That was a surprise. Nice music though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah I would love to know more about the though process behind this area. It definitely gave me the super creeps and I'm still thinking about it

The thing that kinda gets me is that you find yoel's ashes there, if you kill him, like I did, because I'm an idiot. It really does hammer in the notion that it's taken by the abyss. Makes me wonder if the dark dragon guys in the garden are the hosed up manifestations of the mad king's desire to have a dragon baby, given the whole Want = Abyss thing they kinda set in stone in DS2. By the way, do we ever find out why some of the undead in high wall of lothric turn into trees?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It feels like easily half the time in in the roll during the attack and I get hit anyway.

Also sometimes he'll knock me down and the character takes a year to get up and I don't even have a chance to be blocking because he hits me again as soon as I get up.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

strangemusic posted:

Ok what the hell Crystal Sage.

Second phase is just a mess, even with summon help. Magic from all sides as I try to focus on the purple one, and it's so hard to get in on him with those homing orbs. What the hell am I supposed to do, this is breaking my will.

Try to pay attention to where the crystal version is spawning. A lot of the areas it spawns seemed to be designed so you can use the environment as a shield against all the other poo poo coming at you.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

JetsGuy posted:

It was a pretty rough first boss. It gets easier.

Then harder.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

It was both super creepy and super peaceful. I saw someone mention that it is what a world of true darkness looks like and not corrupted abyss darkness. Finding the shrine maiden there really freaked me out. It seems like the kind of dark that the dark covenant guy in Dark Souls 2 would be into. Talking to the dwarf lord after you find the eyes has him say some things that seem bananas.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

JetsGuy posted:

It feels like easily half the time in in the roll during the attack and I get hit anyway.

Also sometimes he'll knock me down and the character takes a year to get up and I don't even have a chance to be blocking because he hits me again as soon as I get up.

General rule of thumb for rolling - roll into the attack to minimize the amount of time you spend in contact with the blade and use those precious invincibility frames. Also roll sideways, not backwards or forwards unless you're certain you can get out of range. When you're getting up if you mash roll quick as you can you should be able to get a roll off before he hits you again.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

When you're knocked down, don't bother blocking. Just roll roll roll.

When dodging attacks, try to work on rolling at the very last second. Eventually you should get good at recognizing the animation tells for what speed an attack will be.

Also, try mentally calling out each move. Like, "..........ROLL................ROLL...ATTACK....ROLL" This will help you really focus on the action and not leave it to mental auto-pilot, which is where I find myself making a lot of mistakes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I felt really good beating Kiof storms on my second try.

I should of known better :negative:

Is this the optional super boss?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JetsGuy posted:

You have iframes, invisibility frames, where you are safe. They are at the start of your roll. You want to roll right as the attack swings at you.

Everyone deals with this. We mostly died infinitly to the Capra Demon in DS1. Eventually it clicks and works out.

I suggest. Take a go at the boss. Not attacking. Know you will die, but just go in for a fight just trying to practice dodging, see what works.

Also, only use light attacks, and only hit once or twice then back off. Holding your shield up makes stamina regeneration slower.

I hope it clicks cause it's super fun, but you do have to get past the initial difficulty curve.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Alright y'all, I'll keep all this in mind when I give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully it's just some dumb thing that I'll stop doing lol.

g'night thread.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JetsGuy posted:

Alright y'all, I'll keep all this in mind when I give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully it's just some dumb thing that I'll stop doing lol.

g'night thread.

You be'd new at Dark Souls. You can do it!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Who the gently caress at From Software decided that bluecops should summon into the poison swamp right in one of the deep parts with the giant tree-wielding bastards!? :argh:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just reached the Boreal Valley and WOOOOOOOOOOW.

That first vista is loving breath taking. Good drat job, From.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

I felt really good beating Kiof storms on my second try.

I should of known better :negative:

Is this the optional super boss?

It was for me. Dude just kept kicking my rear end left and right for a bit. I think it took maybe my 10th try to beat him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ethiser posted:

It was both super creepy and super peaceful. I saw someone mention that it is what a world of true darkness looks like and not corrupted abyss darkness. Finding the shrine maiden there really freaked me out. It seems like the kind of dark that the dark covenant guy in Dark Souls 2 would be into. Talking to the dwarf lord after you find the eyes has him say some things that seem bananas.

gently caress I think I skipped over that.

Lore spoilers, late game poo poo.

Another thing is that Iudex means "judge" and the first boss is there to literally judge whether or not you (the unkindled) are good enough to do this quest (and play this game). However you find the Champion version of the first boss in the abyssal zone. Yet another however, Iudex turned into a dark beast while Champion doesn't. Why? What purpose does the champion have? He's not really being a barrier to entry, there's no bell of awakening to bring out the dead. Is that how the cycle works? Only one bell rings at a time, either kindling the flame or having people cause it to wane? So there's a dark versions of the lords of cinder who seek to put out the fire instead of link it or whatever. Woah.

Also that area reminds me of the last area in dark souls 1, the kiln, where there's a bunch of black knights guarding a fire to be linked. But you find nothing but ashes, and a lady selling armor from the abyss.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the game. I know I didn't see everything; like, the trailer kept showing this boss with a lightning spear, have not yet even found that guy.

Last boss was pretty fun. I co-oped with a Sunbro and we both survived, it was epic; he was a Solaire and I was a wizard.

As for the ending...? I almost linked the flame, but gave the eyes to the Keeper at the last moment. She asked if I wanted a world of darkness and I declined. But when I got back to the ending zone and I looked at the fire and I thought about linking it again I ultimately just turned away, and summoned her, and only darkness remained.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JetsGuy posted:

g'night thread.

A last bit of advice: He is very, very weak to fire, so if you still can't get the hang of it and you're not opposed to just starting over you can begin as pyromancer and chuck fireballs at his big dumb iron blob man face. Don't give up, skeleton

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Reading emotional posts about your relationship to the story has caused me to question my own understanding of the game. I like story. I like this game. I like story in games. I haven't been able to discern a plot or story from any of the dark souls games outside of the intro trailer.

Notable events are so spaced out between me getting my rear end handed to me that whatever story presented is easily supplanted by other experience. The only recurring character I have recognized is Siegward and I really couldn't even tell you why everyone is dead and souls are now dark. Somehow a fire went out?

This is my general understanding of the series:
- In DS1 there's a lady who is somehow an impostor and every feature of her body is huge.
- In DS2 Uhh.... It was set in a ruined kingdom mostly? I forget.
- In DS3... Need to kill kings.

Also a ton of the "story" can be missed by not triggering events in their exact preferred order. Maybe like the game itself, the story makes you work incredibly hard for it to be rewarding, but that's really not effective story telling.

The game is fun, atmospheric and challenging but its story is incomprehensible, often nonsensical, seemingly lacking in even internal logic. I hate that you like it. One star.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is NG+ automatic like 1 and blookborne or do you get to clean things up afterwards like 2?

also what's everyone's favorite greatsword or ultra greatsword this time around? i've been getting bored of the claymore i've been using since the beginning. thinking about trying out the curved great sword or maybe one of the boss ones. idk.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As amazing as the game was, I honestly think the lore is even harder to decipher than in DS1 and even DS2. The general idea is pretty obvious, but the details like the dark goop-dragon things (which you first encounter within minutes of starting, at Gundyr), the Darksign eclipse and horrifying winged things (are they the Angels mentioned in the Winged Knight/Divine Pillars of Light descriptions?) at the castle, what's Ludleth's story (he's beating around the bush something fierce about his Firekeeper, and how did he get his title?), what/where exactly is the Untended Graves, what is the final area's surroundings supposed to mean (I took it as a literal representation of the "time is convoluted" thing, kingdoms risen and fallen, etc.)

My head is full of questions and I just can't wait for more digging to be done. I've thoroughly scoured everything on my first character, gotten all the items (sans Covenant stuff and the like) and read all the descriptions but that's just scratching the surface if the previous games are anything to go by. I love the Souls games :allears:

Real hurthling! posted:

is NG+ automatic like 1 and blookborne or do you get to clean things up afterwards like 2?

You get a choice to go straight to NG+ or to wait.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

also what's everyone's favorite greatsword or ultra greatsword this time around? i've been getting bored of the claymore i've been using since the beginning. thinking about trying out the curved great sword or maybe one of the boss ones. idk.

You get to choose just like 2, so go nuts.

Haven't been using great swords, ever since I got the DarkSword early in that one lucky drop, been my main weapon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shindragon posted:

You get to choose just like 2, so go nuts.

sweet as gently caress. part of me prefers having the game force me into ng+ for the closure of it cause like the world is over usually at the end of these games but the other part of me wants to beat it and then spend 2 months finding every glowy i missed and romping around like a god sunbroing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

poo poo. Is Ludleth the Furtive Pygmy?