Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I really have to agree with Taoc, the plot of Naruto seems like a giant mess and something I wouldn't want to watch, but the battle system in this game looks pretty fun, actually. Reminds me a little of Dissidia or other sorta non-standard fighting games. I'd be willing to give it a shot on sale or something, although given what FF said about the Steam ports, maybe not.

Also, even in the black hole of characters revolving around Sasuke, there are still amazing glimmers of light like Guy.

(Also wow are we just going to resurrect all the villains from the last game? Can we reanimate Danzo?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Why did they show the waterfall sepia-tone? Was it a flashback? Were they remembering the waterfall's youth?

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
So was that Dark Danzo that Sasuke brutally murdered then? Is Dark Killer Bee a country artist?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The true Dark Naruto begins here.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just caught up with this (and the last Naruto LP) and it's been fun to experience all the strange things that happened with the series I missed out on once I stopped watching long ago. It's been really fun to watch, (Killer) Believe it.

Tried at making it avatar sized but I have no idea how people manage stuff like this.

Faker? Hah! I think you're the fake Naruto aro-I'l l make you eat those words!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think that the problem with Naruto's story is largely in Shippuden, the first part is pretty okay barring the endless filler they added at the end. Sasuke hadn't become the plot black hole that he is in Shippuden, for one thing, and the Uchiha/Akatsuki stuff hadn't taken over the plot. I personally wish that the show hadn't ramped up to a global threat and had instead continued to focus on Konoha and Naruto slowly proving himself. Either that or just move between the different teams and follow them on various missions. Although then it couldn't be called Naruto, then again Shippuden could easily be called Sasuke and be accurate so it's not like the title ever really mattered.

The biggest reason Konoha hasn't done much about Sasuke is in fact that Tsunade thinks of Naruto like a little brother, he reminds her a lot of her actual little brother who died, so she lets him get away with a lot more than she should. Of course the Third also tried to dote on him and a lot of people oversell Naruto's lovely childhood. He was emotionally abused more than anything, they treated him as a monster and an outsider but that's about it.

Madara Uchiha is not one of the original two ninjas, he's one of the founders of Konoha. The original Ninja is the Sage of the Six Paths who was around like a millenia ago or something. Kabuto has a snake growing out of his tail bone I thought, as Orochimaru was quite literally a giant snake by the time of the DNA transfer.

I don't think Dark Naruto is actually a character, it's just a name and a unique skin. Also the whole thing about Dark Naruto is that Naruto is noted to have a mask of happiness. This is his deepest innermost thoughts from when he wasn't loved by the village. In the manga it talks about how it's going to destroy the village again by letting the Ninetails free in the middle if I remember correctly.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Madara Uchiha is not one of the original two ninjas, he's one of the founders of Konoha. The original Ninja is the Sage of the Six Paths who was around like a millenia ago or something. Kabuto has a snake growing out of his tail bone I thought, as Orochimaru was quite literally a giant snake by the time of the DNA transfer.

Sorry, meant one of the two original ninjas of the Hidden Leaf Village. Wouldn't be the first time I hosed up a Naruto fact though.
Also, at least in the games he has a snake coming out his tum-tum. And the ground.

The several spoiler screenshots I found from the anime agree on his belly snake.

EDIT: Also I didn't realize we were at the bottom of a page so in case you missed the update!

ChorpSaway posted:

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Tsunade's woken up, and it's already time for a new UN meeting! All of the Kages vote Naruto off the mainland and onto an island to keep him away from the upcoming war, under the guise of getting training from the less-than-enthused Killer Bee. It's not the best solution, since they're such strong ninja, but better than having them on the frontlines at risk of capture or death I suppose. Meanwhile, some arms deals are going on behind the scenes with Madara...

Characters Introduced This Episode

Tsunade
A high-ranking ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village, and currently the Fifth Hokage. She was in a coma after the Pain invasion but has thankfully woken up just as her temporary substitute died, and she's more than ready to jump back into politics. She has a lot to catch up on though, and speed doesn't sound like the best feature of someone known as "the Slug Princess".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fair enough on the Kabuto thing, I just thought having it grow out of his tailbone made more sense more than anything, but belly it is I guess.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Fair enough on the Kabuto thing, I just thought having it grow out of his tailbone made more sense more than anything, but belly it is I guess.

Ha, joke's on you for thinking something in Naruto would make sense

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If I remember correctly Kabuto's legs are detachable and the snake turns into a tail. But he only does it once so it doesn't matter much.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"I'm not the fake! You ar-I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
That cloud ninja whose voice you guys were laughing at? He was ITACHI's voice actor.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That pile of leaves that you ran through and didn't get anything? That was ITACHI.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

That mushroom you punched that blasted you with spores? That was ITACHI.

And yeah, the way things just keep ramping up is dumb, but also great for how dumb things can get. And having just finished the Story of Storm 4, things get dumb, but you probably could have guessed as much. That will all come in time though, I hope.

For now, let's just enjoy how much this has become Persona...until things go back to just being Naruto again. But at least we'll always have Killer Bee.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why are Dark Naruto's eyes the only thing that's different? Making poo poo like this less confusing is practically what palette swaps were invented for!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FractalSandwich posted:

Why are Dark Naruto's eyes the only thing that's different? Making poo poo like this less confusing is practically what palette swaps were invented for!

Because that's what they went with in the anime/manga? They're trying to stick to the source material, which isn't the best idea here, but not entirely unwarranted.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can just imagine being the designer who has to go to the art team and say "The testers keep losing track of which Naruto they are! Can you please, please change the colours on Dark Naruto just a little bit?" But no matter how much I plead, they always say "No! He has to look exactly like he did in the anime! We've talked to the rights holders about it, and they absolutely will not budge on this critical issue."

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Dear CyberConnect2, here is my idea for what Dark Naruto should look like so he doesn't get confused with the regular Naruto in battle. His hair should be black, so that you know right away he is dark, and it should hang in his face a little because unlike regular Naruto who is happy, Dark Naruto is hiding the inner hatred and pain in his eyes. Regular Naruto's outfit is orange and black, and the opposite colors on the color wheel are blue and white so Dark Naruto's clothes should be these colors. I know all about color theory (I went to art school to start my manga career) and this is not only visually distinct, but very symbolic of their complicated relationship. Below I have included a picture of what this hypothetical Dark Naruto might look like. Feel free to use this idea in your next Naruto game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You're hired. When can you start?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I know the game heavily abridges the anime/manga but did Kabuto transforming into a snake-man ever really get mentioned in the last game at all? Because otherwise that Kabuto and Madara scene is just a super weird moment of "Oh hey guys look how hosed up I am" out of the blue.

Also I get that "immature little poo poo who is fiercely loyal to friends" is like the beginning and end of Naruto's character but his complete inability to call adults by their names instead of dumb nicknames is super annoying and really serves to make me dislike him.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 19, 2016

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TwoPair posted:

Also I get that "immature little poo poo who is fiercely loyal to friends" is like the beginning and end of Naruto's character but his complete inability to call adults by their names instead of dumb nicknames is super annoying and really serves to make me dislike him.

That's what you find annoying about him? Really?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

ChorpSaway posted:

Tsunade
She was in a coma after the Pain invasion but has thankfully woken up just as her temporary substitute died, and she's more than ready to jump back into politics.

Isn't the reason that Tsunade coincidentally woke up from a coma at the same time Danzo died because Danzo used his sharingan to put Tsunade in a coma? Like, she passed out from low MP in the invasion, and he used his magic eyes to make it so she would never wake up until he died? Which would actually make Sasuke accidentally a hero for saving her?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

EasilyConfused posted:

That's what you find annoying about him? Really?

That's at the top of my list but I mean there's so many other reasons I figure they're the same as everyone else's so why repeat the obvious?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TwoPair posted:

That's at the top of my list but I mean there's so many other reasons I figure they're the same as everyone else's so why repeat the obvious?

Fair

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's that time again!
...No, not update time, that's Saturday. It's time for :siren: Choco☆Disaster :siren:!!

Youtube
MP3 Download

Let's talk about the winter season! There were some good shows, many hotly anticipated like ERASED and Lupin III, and we're here to tell you about those! And also some other shows we watched or dropped!

Also since this accidentally took longer to produce, I guess I'll drop my Top Picks for the spring season here before we talk more in-depth about their openings next episode: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, Joker Game, Flying Witch
Feel free to fight me about these opinions or discuss them! Or the probably terrible opinions we had for the winter season, like how we continue to snub top-tier anime Teekyuu!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

NOW it's :siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Naruto's reaching out to the truth to defeat his dark half and regain his sense of self! It won't be easy, but he'll face himself with a little help and guidance from Killer Bee. Can Naruto truly find it in himself to accept his shadow self on the backside of the waterfall? Find out today for the chapter's finale!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jesus Christ, B just sauntering in after his clone poofed into an octopus tentacle is some funny poo poo.

Also, I'm really digging these pictures you keep adding into the videos. Like pizzaman Danzo.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Feel free to fight me about these opinions or discuss them! Or the probably terrible opinions we had for the winter season, like how we continue to snub top-tier anime Teekyuu!
I haven't listened to the cast yet because I want to watch Erased first, but once I've done that I will definitely do one or both of those things.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Update: I've just now learned that Snow White with the Red Hair has had a second season, so our fated conflict will have to wait for that too. You might want to spend this time training under a waterfall, or you might not be ready for my very powerful anime opinions.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It turns out I agree with everything you said about the two things I actually watched. I really like Erased. I like it so much I stayed up until 3 AM watching it all the day I posted about it, which what the gently caress, that's not me. But like you said, considering how loving relentless most of it is, I think it gets way too cheery and way too "Death Note" toward the end. And Snow White with the Red Hair continues to be good. I keep waiting for Kiki to do something really cool, because I'm sure she will eventually, but she still hasn't yet. I'm afraid she might end up in a romance with Mitsuhide instead, and then I'll be very cross.

I guess I can't fight you over your terrible opinions because I share them all, but we should fight anyway. Anime has taught me that the best way to understand someone is to cross swords with them, or failing that cross ninja magic with them. Follow me - I know somewhere we can go all-out without causing any collateral damage.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time to start Chapter 4, The Birth of Naruto! Naruto has conquered himself, but there's still something greater inside of him that he must tame. It's all or nothing today as Naruto takes on the Nine Tails!
There might be a delay in the rest of the chapter, but it's a doozy so we'll do our best to have it ready for you soon!

RareAcumen posted:

Jesus Christ, B just sauntering in after his clone poofed into an octopus tentacle is some funny poo poo.

Also, I'm really digging these pictures you keep adding into the videos. Like pizzaman Danzo.

Thanks! I feel like I'm easily the least funny of the crew so I like to think that my Editing Garbage helps to make up for that.

FractalSandwich posted:

I guess I can't fight you over your terrible opinions because I share them all, but we should fight anyway.

I'm glad you shared, always nice to hear some anime opinions from friends and fans! I think Kiki is easily going to have strong moments throughout the rest of the series (though whether or not it'll get more anime is unknown), and while they do hint at a romance with Mitsuhide it seems like one of those things that wouldn't get in the way of her badassness. She doesn't seem like the type of character to change herself much for the sake of a romance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

Thanks! I feel like I'm easily the least funny of the crew so I like to think that my Editing Garbage helps to make up for that.

Well, you kinda have to be the straight man and talk about the game and hit on women so you can't really make as many jokes when you're going over what's happening this level of Ultimate Katamari Ninja Storm Damacy. When you're done explaining things you get to contribute. Honestly, I have no problems with anyone's commentary in these episodes, I think it's all good but everyone gets gold moments at different times.

Also I thought about this and forgot to say it but the 'confronting your inner darkness' bit in the last episode was done way better back when Final Fantasy 4 did it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As over the top as Naruto as a series is in general I'm surprised his mom is so normal looking and the only "weird" thing about her is the verbal tic that Naruto got.

Is this the only time she is ever mentioned/brought up in the series? Because really this whole story so far as been about his dad and the issues Naruto has gone through because his dad was the one that sealed the demon in and everything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure this is just what happens when you try to think about Naruto but I can't remember that verbal tic ever being a thing before now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My guess is they originally translated it out because verbal tics don't really work as well in English, but then it became relevant and they were like "gently caress."

Also, I'm guessing it was something like a "desu yo" in Japanese, which kinda means the same thing and is a thing you say when you're impatient.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

You know that "Believe it!" thing that Naruto still occasionally does but has mostly stopped since somewhere around the Chunin Exams? That was a translation of a verbal tic, "dattebayo", which Naruto used to sound unique and cool. This was later changed because "ya know" is a more reasonable tic than saying "believe it" all the time and also plays into his mom's tic which she uses when she's excited or angry. But yeah they just kinda dropped the thing entirely until they realized there was gonna be relevance to it at which point they threw it back in, ya know.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 30, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

You know that "Believe it!" thing that Naruto still occasionally does but has mostly stopped since somewhere around the Chunin Exams? That was a translation of a verbal tic, "dattebayo", which Naruto used to sound unique and cool. This was later changed because "ya know" is a more reasonable tic than saying "believe it" all the time and also plays into his mom's tic which she uses when she's excited or angry. But yeah they just kinda dropped the thing entirely until they realized there was gonna be relevance to it at which point they threw it back in, ya know.

'Just you wait, someday I'm gonna be Hokage! YA KNOW!'

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I thought this was The Dark Id thread. At least there's more cool poo poo happening here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I thought this was The Dark Id thread. At least there's more cool poo poo happening here.

I was tempted to post complaining about that in the thread while it was still relatively new.

"Great, now how am I supposed to tell this apart from the Naruto thread? THANKS OBAMA!"

Anyway, yeah, this LP is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I found this and the previous LP today and have been really enjoying it. I only recently got into the series by reading it all in like, a month. I feel like I missed out on a new generation's DBZ equivalent.

Seems like there's a lot of changes from the manga to the anime and the game is based on the latter. Mostly the manga is so much gorier(mostly whenever someone uses illusions though), while they're keeping things pretty PG here. And I don't think they reattached Raikage's arm in the original. Stuff like that.

It's too bad some of the fights have to be toned down to fit with the game engine, since most of the fancy stuff is kept to the QTEs for climactic moments. Stuff like Kisame's fight had a lot more going on with it. I'd only seen UNS4 before this and the engine there seems so much different than these last two games.

Anyway you guys are great fun and the edits are hilarious(the rapper slang floating everywhere across the screen in particular).

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As over the top as Naruto as a series is in general I'm surprised his mom is so normal looking and the only "weird" thing about her is the verbal tic that Naruto got.

Is this the only time she is ever mentioned/brought up in the series? Because really this whole story so far as been about his dad and the issues Naruto has gone through because his dad was the one that sealed the demon in and everything.
There's some context that I'm not sure is or will be covered in-game so I'll spoiler the next line just in case it shows up next episode. Basically Naruto's mom was originally the Nine Tails' host, and the reason it got out in the first place is cause the seal is weakest during pregnancy and Tobi/Madara chose to attack her then
Also they skipped over it but Kushina has the amazingly dumb nickname of Bloody Habanero and she turns blackish red when angry. Also having red hair is a genetic trait unique to her clan or something.

• Locked thread