Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The thing that kinda gets me is that you find yoel's ashes there, if you kill him, like I did, because I'm an idiot. It really does hammer in the notion that it's taken by the abyss. Makes me wonder if the dark dragon guys in the garden are the hosed up manifestations of the mad king's desire to have a dragon baby, given the whole Want = Abyss thing they kinda set in stone in DS2. By the way, do we ever find out why some of the undead in high wall of lothric turn into trees?

The lore implication seems to be that it is Lothric's firelink shrine. Since he decided not to link the first flame the shrine was consumed by the abyss and it is the source of the abyss parasites found throughout lothric. I have a feeling that one of the DLCs will probably deal with the abyss and/or Queen Lothric since she is the only member of the royal family that isn't accounted for. The lore surrounding her implies that she regularly visited the untended graves and that she disappeared at some point after giving birth to Ocelotte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont get what "World of darkness" means within the context of the game though. Doesnt it mean you're just ending the cycles? So rather than reset with time, the setting is just turning-off period?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the mimic novelty kind of wears off when every loving chest is a mimic.

It kind of makes me hate finding chests.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ethiser posted:

poo poo. Is Ludleth the Furtive Pygmy?

Probably not. He's called Ludleth the Exiled and he's a skilled practitioner of soul transposition, which was severely frowned upon in his homeland. Odds are he was exiled for his craft and linked the fire afterwards. Now he gets to hang around on his throne and soul transpose all he wants while all his countrymen just lay in the ground. No wonder he's in such a jolly mood.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a janky, unbalanced mess, but it's also a total blast. I dunno why, From's PvP just works for me. I think because it doesn't pretend to be super-serious / competitive / fair, and because there's nothing at stake but your time, it lets you just do dumb stuff and mess around and not get angry at video games or whatever. Like it can be frustrating in the heat of the moment when some total bullshit happens, but afterward I usually find myself laughing about it. It's just got a weirdly perfect balance of legitimate fun and high tension without all of the downsides that comes with a lot of other PvP games.

The thing is, some people put a whole lot more time into progressing a level than others, and it can be crushingly frustrating for new/inexperienced players to have to redo it all over again, particularly in past games. Right now, it's pretty hardcore in the other direction -- hosts have a lot of advantages, so they can get past invaders half the time even if they suck, but that may change as the playerbase shrinks and we end up with a situation similar to DS1 and DS2.

I don't think From ever intended to emphasize invasions to the degree the community has taken it, which is probably why it's been steered so heavily in favor of the host. For 95% of the players, sitting around and popping the red eye for hours and hours simply isn't how they play the game. I think PVP is fun, but only in these early periods in which no one really knows what they're doing, so there's not yet a "meta" to turn the online of this game into a shitshow.

Speaking of shitshows, I just beat the Pontiff boss, and as soon as I went into the next area, fog walls went up because I was immediately invaded. Except, I was on the inside of the fogwall -- that little space between the door behind the cathedral and the doorway leading to the outside. I was in that area, and fog walls popped up on both ends. Invader came, we yelled at each other and took some swings through the fog gate, but neither of us could pass. Eventually we just sort of sat there a while and thought about it.

A blue cop did show up, but the red killed 'em. Eventually he got bored and jumped off a cliff -- while I remained in my foggy prison. I can't take this...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I feel like the mimic novelty kind of wears off when every loving chest is a mimic.

It kind of makes me hate finding chests.

There are an even dozen Mimics in the game, it's really not that bad.

Especially because I sicced one of them on a bigger, nastier enemy and got to watch it punch the thing to death.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Probably not. He's called Ludleth the Exiled and he's a skilled practitioner of soul transposition, which was severely frowned upon in his homeland. Odds are he was exiled for his craft and linked the fire afterwards. Now he gets to hang around on his throne and soul transpose all he wants while all his countrymen just lay in the ground. No wonder he's in such a jolly mood.

He says some stuff after going to one of the optional area that make him out to be a much bigger deal then he initially appear to be.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is there a purpose to the Smouldering Lake besides finding the giant arrow turret and farming a buttload of titanite shards?

I've been stuck here for a couple days now and I'm kind of sick of it lol. But I can't get into the snowy castle world because I don't have a doll.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shindragon posted:

It was for me. Dude just kept kicking my rear end left and right for a bit. I think it took maybe my 10th try to beat him.

Well despite beating his first phase on the second try I'm struggling to even get past it now. All of his attacks one shot me, though a few are two shots. Fine, but the camera is garbage, so avoiding them is tough. I can't figure out where the game wants me to stand. His dragon's fire breath keeps frying me even when I roll away as soon as it lifts off, and I can't dodge his lightning stab to save my life. Well rather, I can dodge it but then the AOE lighting hits me afterwards.

I was enjoying this fight at first but now its getting frustrating.

EDIT: I mean the dragon seems to track you with its fire so if you run the wrong way it kills you but locking onto it causes the camera to spazz out so wtf

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 18, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any confirmation if there's any major differences in NG+ like bonus red phantoms or whatever?

As for the lore, I find this game is really a lot more straight forward than the others; however, the narrative also feels much more "meta" as well, which may make it feel more obtuse than it is. This is what I think:

We've all been here before. The world is constantly requiring the First Flame to be rekindled, time and time again. Every age persists just long enough for a new hapless fool to link the flame and become a Lord of Cinder. It's gotten so bad that it doesn't take just one anymore, you gotta use multiple lords as fuel to the flames. The final boss, of due note, is an amalgamation of every Lord of Cinder, essentially every single player character you've linked the flames with. This also confirms that the Throne ending of Dark Souls 2 is the Link the Fire ending. It suggests as well that death is fairly transient in general in this world; Lords are revived and killed freely.

Basically, it's the same choice it always has been, but the visual landscape tells us the truth of it; the world's loving breaking at the seams. This has been happening so much, and so often, that reality is coming undone and a perennial apocalypse is destroying the world over and over again. Now it's gotten so bad that the semblance of normality that we saw in the first game, and especially the second, is completely lost. It may take an even bigger spark to kindle it next time too--can the world really keep breaking over and over like this? It lends credence to the Dark ending. Eventually you have to let a thing die.

The story is about Dark Souls the franchise too. Dark Souls 2 is a very clumsy MGS2-style metaphor for the idea of what a sequel should be like and how you'd really just rather have the first game done again but bigger or better. Dark Souls 3 turns this on its head by actually bringing back old locations and characters, only to tease, twist or otherwise have these things fall apart in front of you. I think you could make an argument that it's all fanservice up until you get to Anor Londo. Seeing the city of the gods not simply abandoned, ransacked, and an old friend murdered, but also you see the inside is corroded with slime, it's a disgusting and vile place that's been tarnished after all these years. You can finally return, but it's not even remotely the same. Then you go and basically fight the half-digested corpse of the only god you've ever seen alive in these games. The game seems to want to warp and twist your nostalgia for the previous games while upping the ante with it's ludicrous boss fights and even sadder lore.

The game has to take a meta narrative approach. It's all the same thing over and over, always has been. Now, though, you can really, truly, put it to rest. You can have the world embrace Darkness, and you and the developers know that some day, in the future, new fires will be formed. Out of nothing will come something, just as it did before, just as it always has. But this world, these characters, this twisted and beautiful phenomenon that is Dark Souls (and even Demon Souls) is finally put to bed.

This game is a medley of Dark Souls' greatest moments, remixed three times over and rearranged at least twice, and it is meant to bid farewell, to the world, to the lore, and to the Souls franchise...at least for now.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bass Bottles posted:

Is there a purpose to the Smouldering Ruins besides finding the giant arrow turret and farming a buttload of titanite shards?

I've been stuck here for a couple days now and I'm kind of sick of it lol. But I can't get into the snowy castle world because I don't have a doll.

It's pretty much an optional area.

Also to head you back to the direction.

Go back to the woods, from Roads of Sacrifice bonfire and try going all the way left instead of going past the crabs.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Well despite beating his first phase on the second try I'm struggling to even get past it now. All of his attacks one shot me, though a few are two shots. Fine, but the camera is garbage, so avoiding them is tough. I can't figure out where the game wants me to stand. His dragon's fire breath keeps frying me even when I roll away as soon as it lifts off, and I can't dodge his lightning stab to save my life. Well rather, I can dodge it but then the AOE lighting hits me afterwards.

I was enjoying this fight at first but now its getting frustrating.

If it helps I keep rotating the camera. Locking pretty much kills me every time. Also the lock on was the cause of me getting hit by his lighting stab. Fighting without lock on may sound like it's a bit of more of a hassle but i was able to manage and still dodge him.

2nd phase though I lock on him though cuz gently caress his DBZ rear end speed.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Invading completely blows when it's 4v1.

That said, it is incredibly satisfying when you pull it off. Had the host chase me on his own, down an elevator. Thanks. :henget:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shindragon posted:

If it helps I keep rotating the camera. Locking pretty much kills me every time. Also the lock on was the cause of me getting hit by his lighting stab. Fighting without lock on may sound like it's a bit of more of a hassle but i was able to manage and still dodge him.

2nd phase though I lock on him though cuz gently caress his DBZ rear end speed.

I don't want to use lock on but I have no idea how to avoid the flame breath since the loving dragon keeps flying out of my vision. This is the only thing killing me at this point and it just feels like I'm missing something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

storm ruler shenanigans made me forget for a while how poo poo my magic build is for dealing damage. the silver knights in anor londo have helpfully reminded me tho. I really regret the magic build, but I don't want to respec because that'll break an npc quest and I've used most of my non twinkling titanite on magic stuff :sigh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cnidaria posted:

The lore implication seems to be that it is Lothric's firelink shrine. Since he decided not to link the first flame the shrine was consumed by the abyss and it is the source of the abyss parasites found throughout lothric. I have a feeling that one of the DLCs will probably deal with the abyss and/or Queen Lothric since she is the only member of the royal family that isn't accounted for. The lore surrounding her implies that she regularly visited the untended graves and that she disappeared at some point after giving birth to Ocelotte.

What other queens related to the abyss do we know about?

Anyway I'd just like to confirm that smouldering lake is a big pile of poo poo and the ballista's impact launched me into a giant worm and I died.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

the sellsword twinblades are my loving jam, just killed oceiros and haven't touched any other weapons

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like I did something wrong because pretty much all of my NPCs are gone. I summoned Sirris like she asked me to for Watchers, but she left and so did the blind girl's buddy and so did my Crestfallen bro and Ratman took off again and other... things... happened... This place is lonely as gently caress. Currently backtracking to find the key to icetown, didn't even realize the path to cathedral existed until a friend told me.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dorkopotamis posted:

Reading emotional posts about your relationship to the story has caused me to question my own understanding of the game. I like story. I like this game. I like story in games. I haven't been able to discern a plot or story from any of the dark souls games outside of the intro trailer.

Notable events are so spaced out between me getting my rear end handed to me that whatever story presented is easily supplanted by other experience. The only recurring character I have recognized is Siegward and I really couldn't even tell you why everyone is dead and souls are now dark. Somehow a fire went out?

This is my general understanding of the series:
- In DS1 there's a lady who is somehow an impostor and every feature of her body is huge.
- In DS2 Uhh.... It was set in a ruined kingdom mostly? I forget.
- In DS3... Need to kill kings.

Also a ton of the "story" can be missed by not triggering events in their exact preferred order. Maybe like the game itself, the story makes you work incredibly hard for it to be rewarding, but that's really not effective story telling.

The game is fun, atmospheric and challenging but its story is incomprehensible, often nonsensical, seemingly lacking in even internal logic. I hate that you like it. One star.

I've grown to love the story. There's so much there if you just listen and read. It adds a significant amount of time to the game, and if it's not your bag you can just ignore and still enjoy a great challenging experience. DS1 was probably the most cut and dry of all 4 Souls games, in my opinion. Every game is sort of post-apocalyptic or just at the cusp of the apocalypse. As the fire begins to fade, darkness settles and the world returns to the gray purgatory it started as. The cycle begins anew when a chosen Undead slays the weakening Lords that keep the flame and uses their powerful souls to "link the Fire", binding the world's new set of borrowed time to him/herself and bringing a new age of fire. It's my understand that each King or Lord we've faced was involved with this process in a prior age, so i'd guess that's what happens to each of our player characters as well. As the flame dies, which it always does, the Lords weaken and the curse nears it's end. It's always our task to relight the Flame, but it's debatable whether or not that's the right choice.

Someone can probably effort post a much better explanation, but that's my take. It's very interesting; the world is full of nuanced relationships, cause-and-effect, and futility in dealing with the cycle. Every cycle the Gods, Lords, and their subjects try their damnedest to stave off the inevitable.

Dark Souls II dealt more with the negative consequences of the Flame and how it brings out the worst, specifically Want. People worship the Dragons because they were this gray neutrality where existence just was, instead of this endless hamster wheel of sacrifice, bloodshed, despair, and betrayal,.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Nuebot posted:

What other queens related to the abyss do we know about?

Yeah I was thinking of connections with Dks2. Besides all of the Drang items the item description on High Lord Wolnir's crown implies that they are your character from dark souls 2. It says something along the lines of lords were bequeathed crowns until Wolnir killed them all and took their crowns to become the high lord.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Cnidaria posted:

Gonna blow your mind here but the queen of lothric is Gwynevere. Priscilla was the child of Gwynevere and Seath, and then now her husband the king has obsessively became a Seath-like. The princes are Gwyn's grandsons. The Dancer of the Boreal Valley is a member of the Anor Londor royal family driven insane by the Pontiff. Rosaria is a member of the royal family held captive(?) by the Church of the Deep

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 18, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress I think I skipped over that.

Lore spoilers, late game poo poo.

Another thing is that Iudex means "judge" and the first boss is there to literally judge whether or not you (the unkindled) are good enough to do this quest (and play this game). However you find the Champion version of the first boss in the abyssal zone. Yet another however, Iudex turned into a dark beast while Champion doesn't. Why? What purpose does the champion have? He's not really being a barrier to entry, there's no bell of awakening to bring out the dead. Is that how the cycle works? Only one bell rings at a time, either kindling the flame or having people cause it to wane? So there's a dark versions of the lords of cinder who seek to put out the fire instead of link it or whatever. Woah.

Also that area reminds me of the last area in dark souls 1, the kiln, where there's a bunch of black knights guarding a fire to be linked. But you find nothing but ashes, and a lady selling armor from the abyss.

My interpretation is that the Untended Graves area is Firelink Shrine in the past. Mainly from the description of Gundyr's armor stating "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more."

Cnidaria posted:

Lothric had to have linked the fire, given that he is a Lord of Cinder. Now that they're brought back he's just actively resisting repeating his duty.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I think untended graves is just the real firelink, and the one that is your hub is just an illusion, like how Aldia said the fire was an illusion. The hub area actually isn't connected to the world at large you have to warp in an out of it, but untended graves is actually connected to the world by way Lothric, whereas firelink the hub only appears to be next to the side of Lothric but you can't actually venture out. The first time you warp out of firelink you don't make it to a bonfire instead you arrive at a room that has a lordvessel and a coiled sword, which is what you just warped with, and may be their "mirror versions" in the non-illusory world. Not a single bonfire in the game is already lit when you get to it including the one at firelink, which begs the question what the firekeeper was even doing at firelink shrine the whole time you weren't there. Untended graves also has black knights which makes sense since we learn firelink is actually the kiln of the first flame. The firekeeper's eyes make her see everything for how it really is, which is to say she just sees the place as the untended graves

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 18, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

strangemusic posted:

Ok what the hell Crystal Sage.

Second phase is just a mess, even with summon help. Magic from all sides as I try to focus on the purple one, and it's so hard to get in on him with those homing orbs. What the hell am I supposed to do, this is breaking my will.

I stumbled into this fight the first time, got to the second phase before I got poo poo all over trying to dodge and hide and watch his movements.

Second time I just went HAM on him and wouldn't leave him alone for a second. If you get lucky when his phantoms swirl out from the ground you can smash one instantly and dash to the second, then go straight for him. He goes down easy with pressure.

Question, is Eldrith the Exiled in the Firelink Shrine from the start? I'm going to start over and go with a quicker-build because I sold a bunch of stuff and ate my boss souls foolishly. I really want some of dem sweet boss items.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm guessing the giant in the dungeon and yhorm are different things?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Are the drop rates for the vertebrae really that bad? Because I honestly doubt it'd be any slower than my luck at invading.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What is it that causes you to gain an estus sometimes?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So i read the wiki for the dark sigil, and I think I'm even more confused than when I just didn't know what it was.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

What is it that causes you to gain an estus sometimes?

Killing phantoms and sometimes you get one when you kill enemies, usually if they are hard, it might be luck-dependent

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yes. that giant is exactly he same as the two in the cathedral of the deep area

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

he is the same as them. watch the cutscene when you fight him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want to say I wasn't sure how the plot pieced together until these last two pages and now holy poo poo. This game is so good.

quote:

I still want to know what's up with the anus-faces.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

he is the same as them. watch the cutscene when you fight him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah I was thinking of connections with Dks2. Besides all of the Drang items the item description on High Lord Wolnir's crown implies that they are your character from dark souls 2. It says something along the lines of lords were bequeathed crowns until Wolnir killed them all and took their crowns to become the high lord.

Yeah, that's exactly how I read him.

I think untended Graves is just your Firelink shrine in the past, devoured by the abyss, prior to the bell ringing, based on the Handmaid's dialog. It also could be Lothric's Firelink Shrine since he explicitly shirks his duty as Lord and is perfectly content with the world to be devoured by the abyss and the Champion Gundyr soul implies he showed up too late for the test he's supposed to give, although Lothric claims his burial site is in the castle proper. Lothric is also definitely a hosed up descendent of the process that made Priscilla.

Edit: poo poo yeah, I just realized abyssal Firelink is 100% in the castle proper.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 18, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yo this irihyll dungeon is hosed up

Less in a "oh god I'm scared I don't want to play any more :gonk:" way and more in a "god drat that is one creepy loving monster design, that is so cool and original" way.

I like how they give you a benign giant lizardbaby early on so you don't poo poo yourself in terror when one of them attacks you. Nice like touch that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

So i read the wiki for the dark sigil, and I think I'm even more confused than when I just didn't know what it was.

Yeah, I have no idea either. Every time I die, my hallowing goes up by 5. Someone posted once they hit 100 they can't summon anyone, even after they cured it. So I dunno wtf.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Genocyber posted:

Lothric had to have linked the fire, given that he is a Lord of Cinder. Now that they're brought back he's just actively resisting repeating his duty.

He could have linked the first flame but a lot of item descriptions and other sources imply that he hasn't. The best evidence for this is that his throne refers to him as King Lothric. The actual king is a crazy dragon/human hybrid in the garden and the fact that the prince is just a prince implies he never took on his true duty as kindling for the first flame. Lore from the Grand Archives also states that the scholars (probably including Frampt or Kaathe) also warned him against linking the flame when he was young. Why he is so weak is explained by the fact that he was extremely ill during much of his life and possibly the scholars tried to bind his souls with Lorian's to give him strength although they ultimately failed.

Cnidaria fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 18, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Recommend me some fun weapons to waste my infusion stones on before I move to NG+, thread! Already got Refined covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

While we're on the topic, Yohrim is a stupid loving bossfight, and that's some dumb bullshit teleporting me to a random rear end place to fight another thing right after.