Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

OctoberBlues posted:

A grill designed to use newspapers as fuel

a buddy of mine brought this on a camping trip we did, it worked pretty well actually

need a fuckload of newspaper though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

spudsbuckley posted:

More that it's a bit of a stretch to make it actually funny/work.

I know it's intentional but it isn't very clever or good.

Pretty much. Did Chuck not also sell feed and seed? If not the former business name appears to just be "Chuck's", not "Chuck's gently caress and Suck". It's one of those jokes that you really have to want to be a joke, even then it just falls flat.

I've been told I've put too much thought into this bit before.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's a one second shot in an episode from 1999, I don't think it was meant to be amazing or anything, just worth a chuckle for the bozos who took the time to tape the episode and pause their VCRs.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny to the same people who think "finger Prince" is funny

They're watching something subversive that can sneak stuff past the censors

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Actually most of those sorts of jokes are self-admitted by the writers to be stuff they expect the censors to catch, just so they can look like they're doing their job without loving with anything else in the episode.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus christ what's wrong with his teeth? It doesn't look like he has grills or something, it looks like the edges are metal.

They just look like partial caps, a fairly standard dental thing though it looks like he has a lot of them :shrug:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's a grill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'd never be able to catch the Sneed's Feed and Seed joke in a million years and I bet a lot joke writers and people that study writing never would have gotten either. "Finger Prince" is a hell of a lot easier to pick up on without someone having to explain it to you because Dot hears the phrase and has a disgusted reaction to it.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I used to think Burples were a fever dream.

http://youtu.be/RKdhtEXQf2k

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Article on 1990s digital cameras. Weird shapes, lovely resolution, high prices, low battery life, difficulty transferring to a computer on some models...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh geeze, a guy I knew, his dad bought one of those ones that saved directly to a 3.5" floppy. It was pretty convenient that you could just pop out the disk and stick it in your computer, but it only held like a dozen pictures.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

twistedmentat posted:

Oh geeze, a guy I knew, his dad bought one of those ones that saved directly to a 3.5" floppy. It was pretty convenient that you could just pop out the disk and stick it in your computer, but it only held like a dozen pictures.

Was it the Sony Mavica? That was the one my parents had too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That article says that the Mavica was responsible for most pictures on 1990s eBay.

I was browsing Kodak's history of manufacture and came across their old Star series from the 90s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Star Man posted:

Was it the Sony Mavica? That was the one my parents had too.

Probably, I haven't seen it since about 1996, but that was the most popular model.

It's amazing to think about just how many cd compilations existed in the 90s. There were how many jock jams, this is what I call music, NOW!, Much dance etc cds released constantly? I was at a record store saturday because it was record store day, and I was looking at the dollar cd bins and they were just full of these.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the mavica was actually pretty awesome

being able to use floppies as film was rad

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I feel like between Nirvana and Nsync/Britney Spears that pop was just basically replaced with compilation albums.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I feel like between Nirvana and Nsync/Britney Spears that pop was just basically replaced with compilation albums.

I was an unashamed NSYNC and Backstreet Boys fan as a kid in the 90s and early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKiftk6ffQ

I still kinda like them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about BBMak. One dude plays a guitar!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

And this is how your dad stuck the disk into the camera, thus requiring a quick return to the store.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"Toss the virtual salad" was a better joke the Simpsons got through

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Late 90s were really an era of one hit wonders. This continued until itunes took off, becuase back then you had to buy the whole album for that one hit song, and the record companies could rely on that. There really wasn't a way to hear a whole album without knowing someone who had one, and I don't remember listening stations being very common in record stores at the time. You had to rely on word of mouth, what you heard on tv or read in magazines. That's a lot of effort to figure out if you want to spend the 20bux for the whole cd because you liked that one song. You really liked Lucas With the Lid Off, but is the rest of the album as catchy?

Though the compilations i mentioned helped with that, becuase you know you could get a cd at some point that would have everything on it. Obviously if you had a decent enough network of friends, you could probably borrow it from someone and record it onto a tape if you had a stereo that could do that, or at least knew someone who did.

Though if you or someone you knew had a cd burner and the knowlage, you could make your own cds.

Then itunes comes along and you can pay a buck to get music super easy, so you could just buy the one hit song on the radio and not bother buying the whole cd.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In the UK at least, compilation albums are still going strong. There's about ten different 3 disk Ministry of Sound dance comps out at the moment, and the amount of crossover between them is mind boggling: I counted ten tracks that were duplicated between 2 supposedly different albums.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NonzeroCircle posted:

In the UK at least, compilation albums are still going strong. There's about ten different 3 disk Ministry of Sound dance comps out at the moment, and the amount of crossover between them is mind boggling: I counted ten tracks that were duplicated between 2 supposedly different albums.

Compilation albums actually had to be banned from the main Official Album Chart and shunted off into a separate compilations chart a couple of years ago because they were outselling regular albums and dominating the chart too easily.

But it's not really new - the Now! That's What I Call Music series has consistently sold very strongly since it was introduced back in the 1980s; I think every year of the 1980s from the year the Now! albums were introduced had at least one of them in the year-end top ten.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

God drat I remember being in high school and CDs were loving $20 in like 2002. Why the hell were they still so expensive? No wonder everyone used :filez:

I think my least favorite thing of the 90s was adult contemporary. Boring rear end poo poo. That and R&B was still a genre, equally as boring. Those two genres just remind me of waiting rooms now. Milquetoast crap to listen to while my mom was getting her teeth cleaned and I was next.

Did anyone else here go to the library after school to photocopy gaming mags for the cheats in the back? My parents only ever bought my brother and I game mags for road trips or holidays.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

twistedmentat posted:

Late 90s were really an era of one hit wonders. This continued until itunes took off, becuase back then you had to buy the whole album for that one hit song, and the record companies could rely on that. There really wasn't a way to hear a whole album without knowing someone who had one, and I don't remember listening stations being very common in record stores at the time. You had to rely on word of mouth, what you heard on tv or read in magazines. That's a lot of effort to figure out if you want to spend the 20bux for the whole cd because you liked that one song. You really liked Lucas With the Lid Off, but is the rest of the album as catchy?

Though the compilations i mentioned helped with that, becuase you know you could get a cd at some point that would have everything on it. Obviously if you had a decent enough network of friends, you could probably borrow it from someone and record it onto a tape if you had a stereo that could do that, or at least knew someone who did.

Though if you or someone you knew had a cd burner and the knowlage, you could make your own cds.

Then itunes comes along and you can pay a buck to get music super easy, so you could just buy the one hit song on the radio and not bother buying the whole cd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(music)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I once saw an import copy of a Dillinger Escape Plan ep in HMV for 19 quid. It's around 7 minutes long and not a limited edition or whatever. I did not purchase it.

I know you can't judge a CD by its length but seriously, gently caress off with your gouging, I'm amazed HMV are the one still standing out of the big 3 from when MVC, Virgin and them were the big boys on the UK highstreet. They always charged the most.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Imports are always more expensive.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Singles were pretty expensive for the content you got though, especially compared to iTunes.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I own one cd single (or did anyway), and it is very shameful...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I had an S Club 7 single, but I reckon that was early 2000s rather than late 1990s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beastie posted:

I think my least favorite thing of the 90s was adult contemporary. Boring rear end poo poo. That and R&B was still a genre, equally as boring. Those two genres just remind me of waiting rooms now. Milquetoast crap to listen to while my mom was getting her teeth cleaned and I was next.

Are you telling me that "Kiss From A Rose" isn't iconic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
The only singles I ever bought were the previously mentioned Lucas with the Lid Off and Metallica's enter sandman/stone cold crazy. On cassette of course.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Singles were pretty expensive for the content you got though, especially compared to iTunes.

Yeah the issue was the switch in formats for singles. Singles on records weren't much more expensive than a song or two on iTunes is these days, but I remember CD singles being something like 8-12 dollars for basically four songs. I at least remember buying the single for VAST's Touched, which IIRC ended up having all the hits from that album, and being super happy I got it for ~6 bucks. Another thing is the cost of albums varied wildly on location back then. I remember going to Virgin in San Francisco in the late 90's/early 00's and being absolutely shocked at how so many albums were under twelve dollars since in my area most new things were 16-25 depending on popularity (I remember spending 21 dollars buying a new copy of Bloodflowers by The Cure in the early 00's). That's actually what got me into so much classic rock and metal when I was a teen because we had a good local record store with tons of cheap tapes. I still, even today, sort of feel like Dark Side of the Moon sounds wrong in high fidelity without the fuzzy old tape hiss I'm used to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yea, I have a bunch of their 80s ones. Unless its someone like New Order or Duran Duran who have pretty big catalogs, you're going to get the same Yaz song on all 3.

Beastie posted:

God drat I remember being in high school and CDs were loving $20 in like 2002. Why the hell were they still so expensive? No wonder everyone used :filez:

Did anyone else here go to the library after school to photocopy gaming mags for the cheats in the back? My parents only ever bought my brother and I game mags for road trips or holidays.

Cds were so expensive because where else were you going to go? The majority of people didn't know where to pirate Tragic Kingdom, so they'd shell out the 20+ bux to get a copy because that was the only way to get the songs.

I can accept the adult contemporary, because yea, it's amazing how someone could sit down and write a song and go "this is for waiting at the doctors office". R&B was kind of odd because it went through a massive shift in the 90s, going from being produced by people who had been doing formulaic music for ages, to being made by newer producers who cut their teeth on hip hop and rap albums, bringing that sensibly to what would have been the "safe" black music for white people.

Someone always brings up singles, but guess what? Singles weren't super common or popular anywhere I was at the time. And as was pointed out when you saw them, they would be really expensive for what they were. They were basically a non-factor.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I spent countless thousands on CDs. I donated about 700 to Goodwill recently. Who has space or patience for physical media these days?

I donated most of my DVDs as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone here got to Universal Studios Florida back in its 1990s heyday? Before the Minions and Harry Potter took over, when they were much more focused on the art of movies and television.

I had this on VHS as a kid and watched it plenty of times, despite having an annual pass, because it showcased attractions that had closed before I ever went. This is a slightly newer edition that I think was part of a re-release, which is why it includes footage from the original opening in 1990 alongside Men in Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xtac5wL4c

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I went to Universal Studios LA when I was a child and there was nothing to do. Went on Jurassic Park a few times and Back to the Future 7 times and got bored.

Just go to Disneyland instead

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

It's actually kind of funny to hear record executives whining about how bad album sales are these days when that was one of the biggest reasons. CDs just got more and more expensive every year and holy poo poo balls was whatever act was popular that week promoted to hell and back. Then the album would sell a million copies because the internet didn't quite exist yet (as we think of it, anyway) so it wasn't always easy to find out if the album was garbage or not quickly. Popularity and image sold albums and loads of people wanted to own whatever was cool that week but...well...

The band's cool factor would wear off and everybody would realize the album was absolute poo poo. The MTV video and the single would be all you ever heard and though good would be the only actually good song on the album. Maybe you'd get two or three other good songs but it'd be 5 to 15 minutes of good music and then 35 to 50 minutes of terrible filler. People would lose interest in the album pretty quickly and the band would fade into obscurity before they could put out another one. Record execs would crank out another thing and the whole rigged system would poo poo out another top ten hit on an awful album.

Funny thing is that this was nearly destroyed by Tom Green. Total Request Live was like...the thing in those days and it was portrayed a show that was, in fact, live. Tom Green released The Bum Bum Song and just told everybody to download it, burn it, share it, whatever, who cares, play it on the radio I want to hear it everywhere all the time gently caress yeah I don't even want any money!!!! It turned out that this happened over the course of a few days and it topped the charts...and was risking making the world realize that TRL was not live at all and in fact recorded a week ahead of time. Once again before the internet got huge you could get away with that; apparently the "most requested" side of that show was largely bullshit. It was supposed to be "the most videos requested that day" but considering the lag of at least a week...well...yeah.

Of course Napster happened around that time as well. It turns out that yeah piracy did damage album sales but the other side of it was that people wanted to know if the albums sucked or not before buying and, quite frequently, they did. Other times they'd download the one single because seriously, gently caress paying $20 for two songs. The record industry blamed Napster for dwindling album sales but really it was their own damned fault.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, they smartened up a little, as a new release cd generally costs between 10-12 bux now, but its way too little too late. I honestly wonder how much of the lifestyles we see of modern muscians is real and what is just manufactured to maintain an illusion that the record industry can pay people millions a year.

I can believe someone like Kayne or Jay-z because they maintain a diverse amount of businesses and not just music, but for the most, I can't imagine they make more than a doctor.

Speaking of Tom Green, he had a rap career that a lot of US fans were unaware of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV7aOnX7XeE

The Dream Warriors mentioned at the start were a major Canadian Hip Hop act at the start of the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAJZmlRMdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

chitoryu12 posted:

Anyone here got to Universal Studios Florida back in its 1990s heyday? Before the Minions and Harry Potter took over, when they were much more focused on the art of movies and television.

I had this on VHS as a kid and watched it plenty of times, despite having an annual pass, because it showcased attractions that had closed before I ever went. This is a slightly newer edition that I think was part of a re-release, which is why it includes footage from the original opening in 1990 alongside Men in Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xtac5wL4c

I went in the mid 90s as a teen and it was so so. The line for Terminator and Back to The Future were way too long. King Kong was still there, and Jaws. They're not there now. There was also this really cool museum/show dedicated to Alfred Hitchcock. My son and at the time girlfriend and I went a couple years ago and there was some stuff that was the same, and some stuff that got modified--like the clever things they did with the Earthquake ride to make it the Special Effects show featuring Christopher Walken and The Rock. And now there's the Islands of Adventure second park that is cool too.