Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obligatum VII posted:

I think so, personally. If you thought the Champ was bad, well... Also, enjoy fighting that first phase again. Over and over and over...

Unless Nameless King has a second phase on top of the first fight, the champ is probably gonna have been worse. Mainly because I feel like I could dodge his attacks if I get used to him. I never felt like I could comfortably dance with the Champ without getting shoulder checked into a coffin.

I'm sick of killing his dragon though so I'm taking a break to go explore Lothric Castle. Did they literally just copy+paste Lothric Knights into the starting zone with lowered stats? No wonder they felt ridiculously stronger than any other first zone enemy in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Barudak posted:

In addition to the Mirrah set of gear, Creighton of Mirrah, and the Alva set there are some more items that appear to be finished but are dummied out in the full game that reference more DS2 stuff.

Yeah forgot about the Mirrah set, was even excited to get it.

yhorm is just a big motherfucker, that's it. valstad was a huge guy too, as are those church guardians. they grow 'em big where he's from apparently.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Being forced to PVP for some things, namely because I was never getting bluecop summoned and got bored, I haven't seen anyone but me using the Painting Guardian's Curved Sword which people may be ignoring because well it's short.

It is however a loving murderer, especially when coupled with the bleeding buff as it naturally has a bleeding effect. It uses next to no stamina, has fast attack, and breaks down enemies stamina fast resulting in them "oh i can let him swing himself out. Even people who try and parry get messed up because it's pretty clear what they're trying to do and if they miss you can spam a full bleed into them before the recovery animation ends.

Not to mention it's special attack does little damage but each chip adds bleeding and can crush stamina so if a guy tries to face tank it they explode, if they try and shield it they explode.

It's the first weapon I've used since the Lothric Sword I got all the way back in Boreal Valley (which is great and efficient for how early you get it) and it's just really loving fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I'm not going to lie, sorcery kind of sucks, I think they nerfed it way too much. I got to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley not long ago, for reference. This is pre-crystal stuff so maybe that's 100x better than the trash you're given but boy oh boy, for the cost in stamina and FP it sure doesn't do much. Pyromancy does what it does but a million times better, and doesn't take forever to cast.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what's the best strategy for the watchdogs of the old lords in Irithyl ? they are continuously wrecking me non-stop

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah forgot about the Mirrah set, was even excited to get it.

yhorm is just a big motherfucker, that's it. valstad was a huge guy too, as are those church guardians. they grow 'em big where he's from apparently.

yhorm is explicitly a giant. velstadt and vendrick being big was a plot point to do with aldia I think. like they got swole from his research, like how he made a dragon out of giant souls or w/e. I thin kthe implication with yhorm is that he's decended from the giant lord you kill in dark souls 2 but idk for sure

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

To be fair, we never see the skull of a DS2 giant. For all we know they just have face foreskins.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

yhorm is explicitly a giant. velstadt and vendrick being big was a plot point to do with aldia I think. like they got swole from his research, like how he made a dragon out of giant souls or w/e. I thin kthe implication with yhorm is that he's decended from the giant lord you kill in dark souls 2 but idk for sure

It's not super clear, I think. He's descended from a conqueror and ruled over the conquered people, so presumably whatever the profaned capital is he was the king since the throne has the other of his two Storm Rulers. At somepoint he went to fulfill his duty to be Lord of Cinders, which he was somehow made one against his will, and that's when he started wielding a machete and shield. Then someone on his journey died, not clear who, and he only used the machete from then on. Siegward is his dear friend, mentioned obviously, and possibly the person who died?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Welp, I guess I can't get the Dragonslayer Axe? Because I wasn't happy with how I progressed my character and wanted to redo without making a new game. Lovely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well finally finished the game and, in a way, I'm glad it's over. I'm glad it ended on a high note. The last two bosses are pretty good Dark Souls material. Methodical, learnable, not overly frantic, and very atmospheric. As a whole the game has a lot of things holding it back.

-Over reliance on late game bosses being able to 100-0 you with an ill timed hit from a combo even with solid Vigor investment gets tiresome. The boss design post-Pontiff is generally unsatisfying, in some cases Champion Gundyr feeling more like Bloodborne transplants ill suited to the tempo of Dark Souls. In other cases overly gimmicky as in Ancient Wyvern and Yhorm, and sometimes just plain tedious and unfun to deal with while posing little threat Aldrich.
-Loot distribution is bad. Real bad. The linearity of the game makes it genuinely feel difficult to make a character that feels genuinely different until half the game is already passed, because the equipment and spells are so limited so early on. Unless you are a Pyromancer. Extremely high up front investment to make spellcasting worth a drat doesn't help in that regard.
-Regarding the aforementioned linearity, that kind of thing just isn't what I play Dark Souls for. I like that in Dark Souls 1 and 2 you can approach the game world in a variety of different ways and priorities as befits the way you're trying to construct your character. Without that, I feel no pressing need to roll a second or third character whereas in DS1 and 2 that was literally the first thing I did after completing them.
-Multiplayer's kind of a train wreck. Covenants like the Blue Sentinels have not only not learned from the mistakes of previous implementations but have taken steps back. Estus is almost impossible to punish, turning fights into overdrawn out grinds that are neither fun nor rewarding.

It's a good game, but I feel no desire to have anything to do with it further in it's present state. Hopefully balance patches and DLC will help round out the experience. For now, Dark Souls 2 remains the most enjoyable of the lot to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TheHoosier posted:

the DS2 tree next to the Shrine seems kinda out of place. The DS2 references aren't really common unless my memory of DS2 has just faded completely. Forossa, the Drang Knight set, Wolnir, the giant tree, the blind lady merchant, and that's it? Just seems random that there's a single solitary dead-giant-tree just chillin there.

Karla and a whole bunch of other equipment that you can find throughout the game too.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There's maybe 2-3 kinds of giants.

DS1 style, tallish with dark grey skin and humanoid proportions and face masks ie. the blacksmith, the archers, the boulder giants in Sen's the returning ones in Cathedral and Dungeon that are like four times as big, now

DS2 style, but face, grey stone like skin, very triangular bodies, turn into trees on death.

and otherwise regular people who are just really loving tall but probably shouldn't be considered 'giants'.

Yhorn is probably not a DS2 style? Maybe he's just drank his milk? Or I dunno?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This is the weirdest thing to get hung up upon. Dark Souls 3 basically has two different species of Giants in it. It's kind of surprising you don't actually meet proper Dark Souls 2 Giant Lord enemies or whatever in some hidden zone in this game. Hell, maybe you will. Yhorn is a giant, and giant can be applied to at least two distinct races in Dark Souls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

karla's a reference to yuria the witch from demon's souls

Mazerunner posted:

There's maybe 2-3 kinds of giants.

DS1 style, tallish with dark grey skin and humanoid proportions and face masks ie. the blacksmith, the archers, the boulder giants in Sen's the returning ones in Cathedral and Dungeon that are like four times as big, now

DS2 style, but face, grey stone like skin, very triangular bodies, turn into trees on death.

and otherwise regular people who are just really loving tall but probably shouldn't be considered 'giants'.

Yhorn is probably not a DS2 style? Maybe he's just drank his milk? Or I dunno?

the giant lord looked nothing like the other dks2 giants, but yhorm does look like him. giants are weird

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dan Didio posted:

Karla and a whole bunch of other equipment that you can find throughout the game too.

yeah i'm dumb, I just noticed way more DS1 references than DS2. My NG+ run is always the super slow read-absolutely-everything-and-finish-NPC-quests run, so I'll probably notice more the second time through

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes, but she's also one of the daughters of Manus.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Quality of Life Fix Requested: Seed of the Giant Tree really means Seed of the Tree Giant.

The seed comes from the tree that has sprouted over a giant where the tree is realtively normal sized, not from the giant loving tree you can see from Firelink shrine.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

the giant lord looked nothing like the other dks2 giants, but yhorm does look like him. giants are weird

maybe... maybe boy giants look like yhorne, and girl giants have butt faces

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well finally finished the game and, in a way, I'm glad it's over. I'm glad it ended on a high note. The last two bosses are pretty good Dark Souls material. Methodical, learnable, not overly frantic, and very atmospheric. As a whole the game has a lot of things holding it back.

-Over reliance on late game bosses being able to 100-0 you with an ill timed hit from a combo even with solid Vigor investment gets tiresome. The boss design post-Pontiff is generally unsatisfying, in some cases Champion Gundyr feeling more like Bloodborne transplants ill suited to the tempo of Dark Souls. In other cases overly gimmicky as in Ancient Wyvern and Yhorm, and sometimes just plain tedious and unfun to deal with while posing little threat Aldrich.
-Loot distribution is bad. Real bad. The linearity of the game makes it genuinely feel difficult to make a character that feels genuinely different until half the game is already passed, because the equipment and spells are so limited so early on. Unless you are a Pyromancer. Extremely high up front investment to make spellcasting worth a drat doesn't help in that regard.
-Regarding the aforementioned linearity, that kind of thing just isn't what I play Dark Souls for. I like that in Dark Souls 1 and 2 you can approach the game world in a variety of different ways and priorities as befits the way you're trying to construct your character. Without that, I feel no pressing need to roll a second or third character whereas in DS1 and 2 that was literally the first thing I did after completing them.
-Multiplayer's kind of a train wreck. Covenants like the Blue Sentinels have not only not learned from the mistakes of previous implementations but have taken steps back. Estus is almost impossible to punish, turning fights into overdrawn out grinds that are neither fun nor rewarding.

It's a good game, but I feel no desire to have anything to do with it further in it's present state. Hopefully balance patches and DLC will help round out the experience. For now, Dark Souls 2 remains the most enjoyable of the lot to me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dancer is a super awesome fight. Probably one of the most atmospheric bosses in the entire series. Also hard, but mostly fair. I feel like I'm making progress. Except for that loving grab :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Giant face chat;

Man, I kind of hate that they got rid of the screenshots option if you right click the steam icon now. What the gently caress, I used that a lot :( now I have to open steam and navigate to screenshots through the stupid steam menus.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered where I had seen High Lord Wolnir before

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It is true that a lot of the best stuff is super late. Titanite chunks and other high level materials, certain infusion material, RTSR, hornet ring, BKH, most of the rings that increase various stats, also you have to go into NG+ and ++ to get the best versions of some rings which is kind of silly.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm kind of curious to see where the speedrunning community goes with this one. Since it is pretty linear at first, and any build is going to lack something. And the speedrunning favorite ring, the red tearstone, is tucked away deep within Lothric Castle instead of being two minutes from the start like in DS1. And there's no way to farm souls to skip to the end like in DS2. Pretty much have to kill all the lords. Of course, someone will probably discover a bug that lets you roll through a wall and drop straight into the final boss arena. :v:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm kind of curious to see where the speedrunning community goes with this one. Since it is pretty linear at first, and any build is going to lack something. And the speedrunning favorite ring, the red tearstone, is tucked away deep within Lothric Castle instead of being two minutes from the start like in DS1. And there's no way to farm souls to skip to the end like in DS2. Pretty much have to kill all the lords. Of course, someone will probably discover a bug that lets you roll through a wall and drop straight into the final boss arena. :v:

people were doing it in less than 90 minutes before i had even seen a physical copy of the game so i am sure they are going to just downright annihilate it into something unrecognisable

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My question about the linearity is that can't you effectively skip right to a big chunk of the late game? By killing the WoB lady, the Dancer gets summoned. If you beat her, do you get access to the rest of Lothric Castle? Or do you have to still kill the first 3 lords of cinder to get there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I killed electro worm, it was easy without the ballista. Turns out it has really stupid AI and by hitting it then walking away you just get it to repeat the electro shock pattern forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

My question about the linearity is that can't you effectively skip right to a big chunk of the late game? By killing the WoB lady, the Dancer gets summoned. If you beat her, do you get access to the rest of Lothric Castle? Or do you have to still kill the first 3 lords of cinder to get there?

Not entirely sure, but you still need the souls to go to the final area; Lothric Castle just guards one of them that you need.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Has anyone had success playing w/ friends with a huge level gulf? Me and my buddy both set passwords but it isn't showing up- we've heard that level shouldn't matter with the password though..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you are required to beat all of the lords to beat the game

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you are required to beat all of the lords to beat the game

You can't even access the Grand Archives without having beaten the prior three lords.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've died more to Yhorm than any other boss in the game. I know how the Storm Ruler works. wtf

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I've died more to Yhorm than any other boss in the game. I know how the Storm Ruler works. wtf

You 2 hand it, hold L2 until it flashes. While holding L2, press R1.

Edit: I misread what you said! I'm dumb. Leaving what I wrote for posterity however.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Summoning friends makes the fight impossibly eazy. Also great to farm souls.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I figured that out on my 2nd attempt, I'm just a weird idiot

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If STR is the main stat I'm focusing on, is Heavy usually better than a regular weapon? I don't think I've ever actually infused a weapon in any of these games. Right now all I have is a +4 Claymore and it's starting to feel a little weak in Irithyll and Smouldering Lake.

no more books
Aug 4, 2011
if anyone is reading this thread and doesn't want to try sorcery due to all the negative feedback: for me its been the opposite, and i feel like im speeding through the game. I'm killing a lot of bosses first try. my playstyle isn't too sorcerer like i guess tho, I bumped my str to 10 to use the grass crest shield and a crystal long sword/raw broadsword. Soul arrows take out huge chunks of health and distance and its very easy to finish things off with the scaling on the long sword or a buffed broad sword. everything dies really, really quickly

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

If STR is the main stat I'm focusing on, is Heavy usually better than a regular weapon? I don't think I've ever actually infused a weapon in any of these games. Right now all I have is a +4 Claymore and it's starting to feel a little weak in Irithyll and Smouldering Lake.

Yes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Welp finished the game in just under 40 hours for my first shot. drat I've never been more happy to throw down $60 on a game. I'm already hatching ideas for what builds to try now, I'm stuck between some kind of spellcaster and a truly insane luck build featuring Anri's sword and other hollow enchanted items. I hear vague tellings of a sorcery catalyst that adds luck scaling to sorceries which intrigues me.

Similarly there's also a spear that makes sorceries scale on faith instead of intelligence. POSSIBILITIES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think this infinite zombie graveyard is somehow worse than the lake. At least things in the lake went away and didn't infect me with maggots.