Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Is there something that prevents you from releasing Colonial Nations as vassals? I can't release Carribean Cuba. Playing as a Custom Nation with Ambrosian Republic (max rank currently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

goddamn it's annoying being stabbed in the back by my ally & war leader Songhai, who didn't give me any of Portugal in the peace. I didn't get a chance to stab Songhai in the back :qq:

Redchaostry posted:

Is there something that prevents you from releasing Colonial Nations as vassals? I can't release Carribean Cuba. Playing as a Custom Nation with Ambrosian Republic (max rank currently).

Colonial Nations are already subjects, have you ever been able to release them as vassals before?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this five year knock out for spy network discovery is very annoying

its potentially one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game

instead of a quirky game of intrigue and revolution funding (with the of course entirely justified peace keeping invasion...) its plain old claim, war, claim, war etc

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

In addition to what others have said, it also sounds like you're moving around giant doom-stacks instead of keeping armies that are combat-width-sized + artillery and then reinforcing. There are two good reasons to do this

1) The entire army in a fight takes morale damage, but only a number of units equal to your combat width is actually engaged in the fighting. Ignoring cavalry and artillery, if you have 60k infantry and a combat width of 25 then you should have a primary stack of 25k infantry and one or two additional stacks that periodically reinforce the main stack. If you have them, add artillery to the main stack up to your combat width (aka 25k artillery + 25k infantry). If you have cavalry, then replacing a few infantry with cavalry can be a good boost (the optimal number of cavalry depends on tech level, but say maybe 19k infantry, 6k cavalry, 25k artillery). This allows you to stretch your manpower and your morale a lot further than keeping all of your men + reinforcements in one big stack.

2) The entire army takes attrition damage, so during a siege you should just leave enough units to keep sieging. Try to split armies in order to keep under the supply limit in each province. If the enemy moves towards the fort, then you can push your own units into the region as necessary. This minimizes overall attrition damage and allows you to stretch your manpower a lot further. If you let your army stray too far from the siege force then you run the risk of a bad loss, so don't stray too far away and keep those reinforcement stacks around if you think your enemy has a big stack of dudes nearby.

This pitfall I managed to avoid entirely. The AI doesn't give a toss, though; The smallest stacks I see Poland/Lit moving about are 50+, and 80+ deathpiles merrily roaming the balkans chasing me are also very common.

As for other new things I noticed. Aggressive Expansion seems to have been severely toned down. I usually keep my war demands to around the level of getting 30 AE or so, but now when I do that, I go check out my neighbors nd they don't even show a negative modifier half the time. What gives?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What's a good start for First Come, First Serve? I've heard that Panama is a good choice for location, but what about Culture/Religion/Ideas and such? I'd also like to go for Ideas Guy in the same run, and maybe For Odin, though I'm mainly after the first two.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

2) The entire army takes attrition damage, so during a siege you should just leave enough units to keep sieging. Try to split armies in order to keep under the supply limit in each province. If the enemy moves towards the fort, then you can push your own units into the region as necessary. This minimizes overall attrition damage and allows you to stretch your manpower a lot further. If you let your army stray too far from the siege force then you run the risk of a bad loss, so don't stray too far away and keep those reinforcement stacks around if you think your enemy has a big stack of dudes nearby.

Leave the minimum number plus 1. This will prevent the siege from being delayed if you get a disease outbreak.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This Brandenburg > Prussia run is going great, except that just after I declared on Bohemia for some territory, two of my other allies (one of which is in this war with me) got declared on separately.

Ugh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also why did Ethiopia get nerfed to East African tech? They kind of suck now, especially with their starting religious situation causing corruption.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Also why did Ethiopia get nerfed to East African tech? They kind of suck now, especially with their starting religious situation causing corruption.

Their starting religious disunity isn't even the worst of it: since the whole rest of the world is not-Coptic, they eat the full double whammy of Overextension + religious disunity from Corruption whenever they expand.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So my game as Spain is going pretty well at the moment. Just slapped this PU on Burgundy and the odds look good for me being elected Emperor of the HRE in the near future.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that you can mouse-over your allies in the peace screen on the left and it will tell you how many favours what you're giving them will give you, plus whether you've given them enough land to not take a trust hit if you promised them land. Very useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm so happy I can finally get a CB on the jerks in the Maldives and crush them, and as a bonus it's a stepping stone to Ceylon so I can eat India from multiple sides at the same time. Yay!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I kinda wish the Fabricate Claim button would tell you when you can't fabricate any claims because you already have a core/claim on any otherwise valid targets. It took me too long to figure out why I couldn't fabricate against some neighbors as the Ottos. :downs:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

I kinda wish the Fabricate Claim button would tell you when you can't fabricate any claims because you already have a core/claim on any otherwise valid targets. It took me too long to figure out why I couldn't fabricate against some neighbors as the Ottos. :downs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've been documented as saying before in this very thread that I'm a Bad, yes.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish you could check combat width the same way you check attrition

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

I've been documented as saying before in this very thread that I'm a Bad, yes.

I am just teasing. I've played this game for a million hours and I am constantly learning new things about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

I wish you could check combat width the same way you check attrition

This, and I wish they would fix some weird things with combat deployment. For example, infantry can flank one space. If you start a battle against an army that has a front line of 6 units, and you have 8 infantry and 2 cavalry, you would think that your units would line up like this:

\XXXXXXXX\

But instead they do this stupid thing:

X\XXXXXX\X

So the infantry on the sides are completely useless.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Mystical voodoo ramblings

Combat mechanics in general are horrible to try to learn. I still have no idea what any of it means. The philosophy that I follow (which is mostly certainly wrong) is:

Bring a bigger stack, maxing at 10 over stack width for inf/cav
Bring more artillery than your enemy
Try to minimize terrain penalties
Stare in disbelief at their far superior generals

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Redchaostry posted:

Combat mechanics in general are horrible to try to learn. I still have no idea what any of it means. The philosophy that I follow (which is mostly certainly wrong) is:

I mean yeah that's pretty much what it comes down to, although to fully max/min you shouldn't send inf/cav into battle beyond the combat width to start. You want to keep them in reserve otherwise they're losing Morale for nothing, and Morale literally wins battles.

Stay at parity or ahead on Mil tech
Try to lure the AI into attacking you in unfavorable terrain
To start, send in inf/cav equal to combat width, as much artillery as available/affordable
Remaining inf/cav reinforces when your front line starts to get low on Morale
Pray to the RNG gods the enemy doesn't roll 9s three times in a row like an rear end in a top hat

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Redchaostry posted:

gently caress enemy generals.

I get like one good general a decade and these bastards have 3 stars hanging out in single regiments fuckers

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

African Power is really hard. It seems that I have a choice between converting and getting hosed so hard financially by the resulting corruption that I can't expand for decades and lose too much momentum, or not converting and not being able to get any good alliances because the Euros that aren't looking to conquer me don't give a poo poo about my heathen rear end. I stayed Animist in my best run so far and GB just declared on me. I'm hoping they'll settle for a couple of provinces on the Ivory Coast and peace out but I could really do without this poo poo right now

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

What's a good start for First Come, First Serve? I've heard that Panama is a good choice for location, but what about Culture/Religion/Ideas and such? I'd also like to go for Ideas Guy in the same run, and maybe For Odin, though I'm mainly after the first two.

Doing a First Come, First Serve, Ideas Guy and For Odin! run currently. Borrowed a build from a youtuber by the name of TheChrisD.

Starting Province: Meta, 1/1/1 development
National Traditions: Global Settler Increase 3, Yearly Inflation Reduction 1
National Ideas: National Tax 1, Unrest Reduction 1, Discipline 1, Core-Creation Reduction 1, Missionary Strength 2, Global Trade Power 1, Trade Efficiency 1
National Ambition: Infantry Combat Ability 2 (+10%)
Culture: Portuguese or Castile
Religion: Norse
Technology: Western
Map Graphics: What ever you want
Government: Ambrosian Republic, Rank Grand Republic
Starting Ruler: 2/3/1

Only requirement from the list is Western Tech and be 200 points or less of course.

PleasingFungus posted a few pages about advice from his run, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=190796&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post454364458.

Started in Meta so that I was next to my first expansion victim, but not bordering two right at the start. I had to declare against Spain earlier than I would have liked too, as they colonized Panama and the province next to it going into Mexico. Otherwise, as per PleasingFungus' advice I have let Spain and Portugal do most of the heavy lift to colonize South America. I probably have 2 more wars with Portugal to take all their land in South America, and then 3-5 wars with Spain. North American is going to much more interesting as there are a lot less people colonizing there and still a massive amount of empty land at 1670.

I'll probably miss the achievements this game, but I will be better prepared for the next attempt. Good luck in your attempt.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Redchaostry posted:

Starting Province: Meta, 1/1/1 development
National Traditions: Global Settler Increase 3, Yearly Inflation Reduction 1
National Ideas: National Tax 1, Unrest Reduction 1, Discipline 1, Core-Creation Reduction 1, Missionary Strength 2, Global Trade Power 1, Trade Efficiency 1
National Ambition: Infantry Combat Ability 2 (+10%)
Culture: Portuguese or Castile
Religion: Norse

Technology: Western
Map Graphics: What ever you want
Government: Ambrosian Republic, Rank Grand Republic
Starting Ruler: 2/3/1

The difficulty I'm having in coming up with a roleplay backstory for your map painting color which is even semi plausible is triggering me something fierce. :mad:

It's like when people convert to Catholicism as the Aztecs or Cherokee or something. I just want to tear my hair and wail "You just lost the game in spirit! What are you doing!? You have brought shame on your family!"

:negative:

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

The difficulty I'm having in coming up with a roleplay backstory for your map painting color which is even semi plausible is triggering me something fierce. :mad:

You play as an omniscient immortal formless being that controls all aspects of your chosen or created nation. Change omniscient to omnipotent in non-ironman games. I can understand having a narrative to enhance your story, so make up some bullshit.

8th century vikings after an unsuccessful raid are captured and sold to a Spanish merchant. Ship is blow off course and hits South American, where both groups have to work together to survive. Centuries later their descendants start a quest to find their origin of the forefathers. Upon finding the land of legend they are disgusted by what has become of its people, and vow to return them to the greatness that they believe it had before.

I thought the spirit of Paradox games was to set goals for yourself and see them through to the best of your ability? Mainly I just play to have fun.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think you guys are overstating the impact of corruption just a tiny bit.

I've done all this:

reformed out from tribal and westernised and never once went above 1 corruption (and I actually only went to 1 corruption due to events). All the while having to convert sunni lands.

Also, seems like you don't really run out of states.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Redchaostry posted:

You play as an omniscient immortal formless being that controls all aspects of your chosen or created nation. Change omniscient to omnipotent in non-ironman games. I can understand having a narrative to enhance your story, so make up some bullshit.

8th century vikings after an unsuccessful raid are captured and sold to a Spanish merchant. Ship is blow off course and hits South American, where both groups have to work together to survive. Centuries later their descendants start a quest to find their origin of the forefathers. Upon finding the land of legend they are disgusted by what has become of its people, and vow to return them to the greatness that they believe it had before.

I thought the spirit of Paradox games was to set goals for yourself and see them through to the best of your ability? Mainly I just play to have fun.

Oh, it's all good. :)

I'm just amused by the arbitrary rules I assign myself without even thinking about it.

Nope, can't let myself do that optimal thing that would help my game. Violates plausible head canon for my map color. :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fintilgin posted:

It's like when people convert to Catholicism as the Aztecs or Cherokee or something. I just want to tear my hair and wail "You just lost the game in spirit! What are you doing!? You have brought shame on your family!"

I turned Catholic temporarily in my Re-Reconquista game to secure a treaty with France. I thought of it as going deep undercover for the greater good.

Also those Maghrebi assholes kept trying to steal my poo poo anyway

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

verbal enema posted:

gently caress enemy generals.

I get like one good general a decade and these bastards have 3 stars hanging out in single regiments fuckers

In the early 1500s, I as Spain got an event to buy a 100 tradition French general. That guy lived for 30 years and won every war for me, being a 6/6/2/2 or something similar. Parked him in the Pyrenees and ate up entire alliances worth if armies.

So it's a good thing players don't have consistently amazing superman generals, it'd be boring. Also makes it even more amazing when you do get one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pellisworth posted:

Their starting religious disunity isn't even the worst of it: since the whole rest of the world is not-Coptic, they eat the full double whammy of Overextension + religious disunity from Corruption whenever they expand.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
haha owns
MareNostrum.jpg

I'm pretty sure Lucky Nations don't get any bonuses towards generals anymore? I think perceiving the enemy as always having better generals is mostly confirmation bias and they're more willing to burn Mil points on rerolling generals.

You're playing one nation, while when fighting a war you're often facing several allied enemies and one of them is bound to have a better general than you by sheer chance. You don't remember the battle where your 1/2/1/0 scrublord fought their 0/1/2/0 rookie but you sure as gently caress remember watching the enemy 5/6/4/3 god-general cruise around and crush your armies.

The only exception here is that Lucky nations DO get bonuses to ruler stats I believe, and ruler Mil stat contributes to their general pips in addition to Army Tradition.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Uh, gee, thanks.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

I just became Curia controller, I am Catholic Ottomans. I want a backstory for that.
Other highlights of the game? England, Austria, Hungary all have Osmanli rulers.
You might be wondering what my gameplan is, allying with Austria and going Catholic.The One Faith achievement only says everything has to be your religion, not that you need to own it. So I am helping Austria to keep the HRE Catholic to get some help. Condottieri are hilarious for this poo poo, one of my stacks has been on loan for the last 30 years, I just use it to help random minors for 0 money.

Really tempted to try a Burgundy game or some other nation with nice mercenary ideas to just play the Condottieri mini game with all merc bonuses. (Admin/Influence/Quantity/Pluto)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I feel like the AI is going a little crazy with fortresses

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There's no way to change the tag of an extant country without using a mod, is there? Like, say, switch GBR back to ENG mid-game?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

nice to see lil' Tidore kicking some butt (they lost the war though, Japan was my protectorate and then westernized and started with the imperialisms..)

There should be a CB to stop your protectorate from westernizing or something like that, annoying phenomenon. Also annoying is how protectorate OPMs spend a century starting to westernize and then immediately get crushed by reactionary rebels.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 18, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I feel like the AI is going a little crazy with fortresses

I can see the AI being too dumb to handle fort costs, but there really should be a limit. I've had the same with Poland/Lith and it makes the wars so tedious and gives the AI a rather unfair advantage, sieging all those forts just takes too long.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How do sailor numbers work? I've got Danzig and all but one province of Pomerania, so my Brandenburg now has a coast, but despite the maximum number of sailors being 678 (or so), I only have about 100, and that number is not climbing. I don't have a single ship. :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I haven't seen much discussion of the new Trade Leagues for Merchant Republics. Any fun to play as someone like Lubeck now? My previous adventures with HRE minors have been very dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of the new Trade Leagues for Merchant Republics. Any fun to play as someone like Lubeck now? My previous adventures with HRE minors have been very dull.

AI Lübeck conquered pretty much all of northern Germany in my Ireland game.

As far as an HRE minor goes though, I got my rear end stomped several times in a few aborted attempts at making Hesse work.

• Locked thread