Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Appoda posted:

I don't think From ever intended to emphasize invasions to the degree the community has taken it, which is probably why it's been steered so heavily in favor of the host. For 95% of the players, sitting around and popping the red eye for hours and hours simply isn't how they play the game. I think PVP is fun, but only in these early periods in which no one really knows what they're doing, so there's not yet a "meta" to turn the online of this game into a shitshow.

This is a good post. I think it was intended to be a neat little side addition to Demon's Souls and ever since people have tried to turn it into Esports. Invasion in it's purest form was just taking your character into someone else's game and trying to kill them. Which was the funnest poo poo back when that game came out. People always whine about balance when it was never intended to be balanced. If anything it's just gotten more convoluted over time with Fromsoft trying to acomodate the sperglords that ruined it in the first place.

I usually have a lot of fun with PVP for the first few weeks of a Souls games release and then just quit once it's entirely populated by tryhards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Goddamn the grand archives look amazing. Like a cross between the Duke's Archive and Cainhurst.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I think this infinite zombie graveyard is somehow worse than the lake. At least things in the lake went away and didn't infect me with maggots.

Best enemies in the game because their death sound is someone ripping a bong.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

NESguerilla posted:

This is a good post. I think it was intended to be a neat little side addition to Demon's Souls and ever since people have tried to turn it into Esports. Invasion in it's purest form was just taking your character into someone else's game and trying to kill them. Which was the funnest poo poo back when that game came out. People always whine about balance when it was never intended to be balanced. If anything it's just gotten more convoluted over time with Fromsoft trying to acomodate the sperglords that ruined it in the first place.

I usually have a lot of fun with PVP for the first few weeks of a Souls games release and then just quit once it's entirely populated by tryhards.

They even tried to give the dedicated PVP people arenas but noooope.

They could handle it better, though. Make it so estus doesn't work in the arena environments and the serious PVP people would flock there

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait a drat minute.

They didn't put in the Silver Knight Straight Sword?! He's swinging it! The least you can do is make that bad boy drop!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So right at the very start you have that vista of a giant castle and it doesn't appear to be Lothric. Do we actually get to go there?

And in that same vein, you can see... some structure in the distance right behind the settlement. You see it in the back and to the left if you warp to the first bonfire of that area. I first thought it was part of the Borean Valley but that doesn't make sense in relation to where you can see the castle.

I know none of it matters but it's fun to figure out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

So right at the very start you have that vista of a giant castle and it doesn't appear to be Lothric. Do we actually get to go there?

And in that same vein, you can see... some structure in the distance right behind the settlement. You see it in the back and to the left if you warp to the first bonfire of that area. I first thought it was part of the Borean Valley but that doesn't make sense in relation to where you can see the castle.

I think every obvious visible area is someplace you can visit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mindblast posted:

That big structure by the settlement is that weird church thing where you fight the tree.

The castle in the distance beyond Firelink is unknown, but pending a possible DLC venue, I think it's the other side of Lothric. I think Firelink and the mountains that surround it are on the northern(?) side of the main game area.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I assumed it was Lothric from an angle you don't play in. The aesthetics match up. It's just the surrounding wall I think.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well. That's ng+ wrapped up. Really enjoyed this, probably the best Souls game by a long shot. the twin katanas you get towards the end of the game were insanely good and made ng+ an absolute joke.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm thinking of starting Herald, going for Pontiff's Eye and Spear of Astor+shield to go for a quality (with higher) dex build and light armor. Does this sound viable?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
untended graves is definitely my favorite area in this game. The realization of where you're at sets in an incredible feeling of dread and uneasiness. Especially where things aren't really where they're supposed to be.

Also with regards to the Dark ending, why the gently caress did I turn the sun off? I figured it was metaphorical darkness, as in an absence of the gods light or somesuch, not literally turning off the sun and setting the world into pitch black. What the poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, if Anooooooooooooooooooooooooor Londo is in this game..where's the rest of it? Did it just get blown to hell as time passed?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
How is the healing from Pontiff Eye? Deeece?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I AM BRAWW posted:

Terrible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

It takes like 5-6 hits for it to even start, and then it's Evil Eye levels of replenishment.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Well that is definitely not deece. Would've liked something Bloodborne ish. That'd be cool.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm kind of curious to see where the speedrunning community goes with this one. Since it is pretty linear at first, and any build is going to lack something. And the speedrunning favorite ring, the red tearstone, is tucked away deep within Lothric Castle instead of being two minutes from the start like in DS1. And there's no way to farm souls to skip to the end like in DS2. Pretty much have to kill all the lords. Of course, someone will probably discover a bug that lets you roll through a wall and drop straight into the final boss arena. :v:

Using the assassin (?) class that starts with the estoc, because it comes with the spell that negates fall damage - very useful for skipping over parts of levels.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Andrast posted:

Terrible.

That's sad. I was hoping for a Spear+eye healing combo.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I'm trying to go back and collect items before I jump into NG+. I missed the Chloranthy Ring, but I can't figure out how to make the elevator in Undead Settlement go up instead of down. What do I do?

Edit: nevermind. Holy poo poo I'm dumb.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Its good on weapons that hit super fast, like the twinblade weapons.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

So, if Anooooooooooooooooooooooooor Londo is in this game..where's the rest of it? Did it just get blown to hell as time passed?

poo poo's been wrecked, you can see the hallway into the bedrooms and whatnot has collapsed. Much of the old city is gone too, or else been repurposed into the snow town proper.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Also with regards to the Dark ending, why the gently caress did I turn the sun off? I figured it was metaphorical darkness, as in an absence of the gods light or somesuch, not literally turning off the sun and setting the world into pitch black. What the poo poo

I mean, I don't know how better else they could have warned you of the outcome. Thing is, maybe it's really better off that way. Think of the world of Dark Souls like an old faithful dog. He's real sick, and he's only gonna get worse. He's gotta go sometime, and frankly, he probably should have stayed dead the first time, but now we're really gonna do him in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

untended graves is definitely my favorite area in this game. The realization of where you're at sets in an incredible feeling of dread and uneasiness. Especially where things aren't really where they're supposed to be.

It seems a lot of people forgot the contents of the Dark Souls 1 opening :v:

Go rewatch it and it'll make the ramifications of your actions more clear.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Just finished it tonight, 28 hours and level 87. Rocked a Heavy Dark Sword for most of the game, with misc light armor until I got Dancers which I used almost all the rest of the game. Swapped to the Super Saiyan armor once I beat him and will keep wearing that for NG+1.

Overall it was my favorite of the series, the boss fights were excellent outside a the lame gimmick ones. They just kept getting more awesome as the game went on, the last few, Goku included, were just amazing fights. Tons of throwbacks from DS1 and 2, and some seriously cool areas later on.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That big structure by the settlement is that weird church thing where you fight the tree.

It's not where you fight the tree I think. It's too distant for it and the shape doesn't match. Go to the first bonfire of the settlement zone and look in the distance to the left of the block of brown houses that are clearly just part of the background.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mindblast posted:

It's not where you fight the tree I think. It's too distant for it and the shape doesn't match. Go to the first bonfire of the settlement zone and look in the distance to the left of the block of brown houses that are clearly just part of the background.

It's either the Cathedral, or the Watcher's building, probably.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It's good on the Deacons fight if you wade in with a horizontal swing, but other than that...

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So guys I've a question,

When I played dark souls 1 & 2 I ran a Dex based class but this time I've started off with the knight, is it viable to spec down the strength / pyromancy build for weapon buffs?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you get to the tree fight other than going through the area where big boy is chucking spears? I did it that way the first time, but going down the steps to what was my "exit" I saw a bunch of notes telling me "boss ahead", leading me to believe most people came from that way.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So infusing weapons usually causes a drop in base damage in exchange for better scaling, right? If I'm running a Str+Dex build, at what Str and Dex levels does infusing a weapon actually become an upgrade?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy poo poo Old Dragonslayer Armour

As soon as I saw those angels(?) I was wondering when I would fight one. I did not expect them to start bombarding me during that battle and it caught me totally off guard. What a hectic fight.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Really disappointed that destroying pillars in the Yhorn boss fight has literally no effect. You'd think the roof would cave in or somesuch, but nope, nothing.

GreatGreen posted:

So infusing weapons usually causes a drop in base damage in exchange for better scaling, right? If I'm running a Str+Dex build, at what Str and Dex levels does infusing a weapon actually become an upgrade?

22/15 or thereabouts in a quality build

Urthor fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Captain Oblivious posted:

It seems a lot of people forgot the contents of the Dark Souls 1 opening :v:

Go rewatch it and it'll make the ramifications of your actions more clear.

I'm assuming you mean it going back to a sort of age of the ancients again? I thought it was implied that it would go from Ancients to Fire to Man?

Anyway, ds1 was basically the start of the end of the world, then ds2 was beyond the end of the world, now we're at the point where the world is just so loving hosed up that its collapsing in on itself, so I guess its best to just put it down and wait for the next one (going by what the fire keeper says with new fires popping up around in the dark)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

It's either the Cathedral, or the Watcher's building, probably.

It's good on the Deacons fight if you wade in with a horizontal swing, but other than that...

Neither. Because you can already see those from there. :)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Quality build soft caps seem to be Str27/Dex40?

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
I kinda wish they put the BK greataxe on a corpse somewhere. 7 BK armors and leggings, 6 gauntlets and helms, 9 shields, and 280k souls and I have a single axe. At least it's really strong (505AR at +3, 40/30 STR/DEX)

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, what's up with the eclipse looking like a womb? Also, the ending I got for NG was depressing as gently caress, maybe kind of underwhelming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's something I don't get about Dark Souls lore in general and how it ties into a lategame area;

Dragons existed before fire, yet are closely associated with fire still. Furthermore, despite existing before fire did, they are somehow all dying when the flame goes out? At least, that's the implication I got from all the dragon kin being dead in Archdragon Peak. Unless those are just statues and I'm an idiot, but then I'd wonder what happened to all the dragon worshipers and how the place got overrun with serpent men.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all of the immortal stone dragons were dead predating dark souls 1 yea? seath was the last one and he stripped himself of his immortality along with his scales. so you're fighting dragons in dark souls, but not the immortal ones gwyn and his group killed in the dark souls 1 intro

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I'm assuming you mean it going back to a sort of age of the ancients again? I thought it was implied that it would go from Ancients to Fire to Man?

Anyway, ds1 was basically the start of the end of the world, then ds2 was beyond the end of the world, now we're at the point where the world is just so loving hosed up that its collapsing in on itself, so I guess its best to just put it down and wait for the next one (going by what the fire keeper says with new fires popping up around in the dark)

Remember, Man came from the First Flame too. The Dark Soul was no less one of the Lord Souls found therein. The darkness of humanity is defined by the First Flame. Without it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFzJ3wRgHw&t=28s

All those things cease to have meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Manatee Cannon posted:

all of the immortal stone dragons were dead predating dark souls 1 yea? seath was the last one and he stripped himself of his immortality along with his scales. so you're fighting dragons in dark souls, but not the immortal ones gwyn and his group killed in the dark souls 1 intro

I always thought he was a like a black sheep born without scales?