Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Thank god Batman rescued the psychopath who taught the deadliest being in the world that it doesn't have an obligation to be a good person.

And only killed 24 dudes who for all we know were just security guards who were honestly convinced that they might be doing the right thing by bringing the mass murderer, that destroyed their city and killed hundreds of thousands of people, to heel.

They were importing goods without a liscense! They deserved to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lt. Chips posted:

They were importing goods without a liscense! They deserved to die.

Batman stole Lex Luthor's legally owned property.

As penance for his crime must now brand himself and be murdered in prison for an inexplicable reason.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

So you're saying Batman and Superman have the same mom name?

And Batman is Batman because his parents were killed?

Well that changes everything.

i have a theory that the intestinal wall is like a magic eye picture. i will be citing these people and CineD as proof.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

As penance for his crime must now brand himself and be murdered in prison for an inexplicable reason.
The thing I don't get about the "Bat Brand" is that criminals hate Batman. Why the hell would they be on his side by eliminating the ones he marks? The whole branding thing didn't actually make sense.

It seems like if the criminals he brands are only pedophiles, etc, they would be killed in prison regardless of a mark.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he knows that branding someone will get them killed in prison but keeps doing it, then he is just being lazy about murdering them himself.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This threat to all human life on earth is invulnerable to everything we can throw at it, and has shown callous disregard for civilian casualties in a fight. If I'm going to stand a chance, I'm going to have to prepare my mind, body, and tools to a level beyond anything humanity has demonstrated to his point.

*crossfit montage*

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Yeah it's such a bad movie. A bunch of spergs I know lined up to see it and I was laughing at them thinking how triggered they were going to be in the theater, watching that garbage. hahaha

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Batman should be super nihilistic due to how close humanity came to being wiped out 18 months earlier and views every living person on the planet as just some living dead on borrowed time.

"Blew up some criminals? So what? They had almost 2 more years of life than they probably should have... It doesn't matter..."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

What if Doomsday mom was also named Martha, what then

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

No look deeper.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is your mom being called Martha Batman's kryptonite?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I'm really wondering if Suicide Squad will manage to not be a Garbage fire, The newer trailers are fun but the first one released was an overly dour tryhard thing that, if it's the actual tone of the film will suck balls. If the newer trailers are just clever editing to good music...

Plus everything about Leto's "method" is loving dumb.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

An industrious redditor compiled every one of Superman's lines. There are 43. They are incredibly bland and lacking in personality. Laid out like that, it's pretty crazy.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

lazorexplosion posted:

An industrious redditor compiled every one of Superman's lines. There are 43. They are incredibly bland and lacking in personality. Laid out like that, it's pretty crazy.

How many did Batman and Lex get in comparison?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lazorexplosion posted:

Superman basically speaks in conversation enders.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this movie was okay, i was expecting it to be terrible garbage but i'd put it on par or slighty above most superhero films excluding the couple actually good ones

lots better than man of steel at least, i'd put it on par with avengers but they both have different strengths and weaknesses, i.e. avengers is mostly coherent and snappily written but has no attempt at themes or cinematography whatsoever.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

nopantsjack posted:

i.e. avengers is mostly coherent and snappily written but has no attempt at themes or cinematography whatsoever.

That's my read of like 90% of the Marvel films yeah. it's a story but doesn't try to be or say anything more. fun but forgettable

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

nopantsjack posted:

this movie was okay, i was expecting it to be terrible garbage but i'd put it on par or slighty above most superhero films excluding the couple actually good ones

lots better than man of steel at least, i'd put it on par with avengers but they both have different strengths and weaknesses, i.e. avengers is mostly coherent and snappily written but has no attempt at themes or cinematography whatsoever.

I'm fine with heavily working a theme, having abstract sequences, dream logic, all of that stuff. BvS just doesn't flow right. I like poo poo like Pi: Faith in Chaos and Jacob's Ladder, but they were edited together well. BvS is just a jumbled mess of sometimes individually quite impressive vignettes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm fine with heavily working a theme, having abstract sequences, dream logic, all of that stuff. BvS just doesn't flow right. I like poo poo like Pi: Faith in Chaos and Jacob's Ladder, but they were edited together well. BvS is just a jumbled mess of sometimes individually quite impressive vignettes.

pretty much, its mostly incoherent and ends with a dumb fight against a big cgi monster nobody cares about

but the intro bit where bruce is trying to save some rando friend of his and superman gets thrown into his building then you see from the outside and zod and supermans laser eyes just tear the place to shreds from within was quite cool and i quite like "not even trying to hide it anymore" psycho batman and the countless lines in the script that are some variation of "batman vs superman? thats a stupid idea nobody cares about that".

just sorta feels like zac snyder actually had a pretty decent film on his hands (im as shocked as anyone) and had to edit it into a Justice League advert halfway through

gently caress wonder woman was bad though and tough aquaman remains hilarious, just do a loving comedy aquaman film, i swear!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nopantsjack posted:

gently caress wonder woman was bad though and tough aquaman remains hilarious, just do a loving comedy aquaman film, i swear!

Did they actually film that underwater? Why would you do that in 2016? He looks like a regular non-Aquaman dude holding his breath and squinting against the water.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

The thing I don't get about the "Bat Brand" is that criminals hate Batman. Why the hell would they be on his side by eliminating the ones he marks? The whole branding thing didn't actually make sense.

It seems like if the criminals he brands are only pedophiles, etc, they would be killed in prison regardless of a mark.

Yeah that bothered me too. It would make more sense for imprisoned criminals to see a bat brand as a mark of honour, like 'I may be in prison, but I'm hard enough that it took batman to bring me in/ I was brave enough to try to fight batman'. Batman's elaborately outsourced murder service has weird implications if thought about even slightly. Has batman set up the murder system through moles within the prison? Does commissioner gordan know what he is doing and outright condone it or choose to look the other way?

Usually the answer to these questions would be not to think about it so much, but this movie is reportedly best enjoyed by thinking about it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe the brand is less "hey inmates. kill this dude." and more "hey prison guards, if anything happens to this dipshit on your watch, he tripped and fell on that shiv 23 times and you didn't see nothin', wink-wink." That would only make sense if the cops didn't seem terrorized by the Bat just as much as the criminals, as the movie presented it. So I guess that's a bad idea. Feel free to use it, Snyder. I won't charge a consulting fee.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It still doesn't explain why being taken in by Batman would be a death sentence. Unless inmates are dumb enough to think that the brand implies that the prisoner IS batman?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

It still doesn't explain why being taken in by Batman would be a death sentence. Unless inmates are dumb enough to think that the brand implies that the prisoner IS batman?

If you are branded by a batman you are cursed to transform into a batman during full moons.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

If you are branded by Batman you become a part of his herd.

In unrelated news, Buy Wayne Corp Brand Hamburgered Meat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Moon Atari posted:

Usually the answer to these questions would be not to think about it so much, but this movie is reportedly best enjoyed by thinking about it.

Batman is branding dudes and that gets them killed in prison.

Blue Monkey: look harder.

That implies that Batman is dealing out death sentences for any crime.

And cops are arresting these criminals who were brought to justice without due process, and being executed for crimes they haven't been tried for, and Commissioner Gordon is therefore directly encouraging mob justice while rejecting the US Constitution. Him and his vigilante friends are now above the law.

And Superman refuses to stop crime or protect humans. He certainly wouldn't stop God Emperor Gordon or Batman from committing these atrocities against a civilized, lawful nation.

The Justice League is a conquering army leaving humanity trapped in a three way gangbang between living gods, criminals, and a horrific police state.

The Justice League is literally the exact same thing working towards the exact same goals as Hydra in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Zack Snyder is retarded!

[surprised Simba]

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the brand meant they were a snitch, them getting murdered in prison.

Now I'm no famous detective or anything, but maybe guaranteeing your snitches get murdered is just how it goes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, then they turn into ghosts and those are great spies!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The real answer was, as with everything else that happened in the movie, it was Lex doing it.

~~~

When they made Lex's master plan make no sense, and then didn't explain any of it, was it;

A) sloppy writing or;
B) was that how they tried to show how smart Lex was and none of the audience could possibly grasp the nuances of his genius.

Both are possible, but I think B has a certain contempt for the audience that rings true.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If you're going to do the Sherlock Holmes thing and hide the truth from the audience only to reveal how smart and observant your character is later, you kinda have to do that second part.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Director's cut

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ocrumsprug posted:

When they made Lex's master plan make no sense, and then didn't explain any of it, was it;

A) sloppy writing or;
B) was that how they tried to show how smart Lex was and none of the audience could possibly grasp the nuances of his genius.

Both are possible, but I think B has a certain contempt for the audience that rings true.

Maybe Lex's plan was the same as Loki's in The Avengers: set the protagonists against each other and manufacture a fake war and unleash giant monster/s on the city but ensure that the protagonists are in a position to win (because they joined forces to oppose Lex/Loki) and put him in prison because that's exactly where he needs to be in order to execute the next step in his master plan. It worked for Loki, he's king of Asgard now and has access to the Infinity Gauntlet and at least one of the Infinity Gems.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
in the cut scenes you see that mr lex is workin for some bigger bad guy or whatever, so his plan was to take out the super heroes in order to prepare for the arrival of the bigger bad guy

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Zzulu posted:

in the cut scenes you see that mr lex is workin for some bigger bad guy or whatever, so his plan was to take out the super heroes in order to prepare for the arrival of the bigger bad guy

Why?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

Or was he trying to force the heroes to work together because he knew the bigger bad guy was coming? If not, why'd he bring Wonder Woman into the picture and push the files about Flash and Aquaman onto Batman?

Or was he setting up Batman to go murder the other superheroes as well???

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The bad guy is bringing 40 cakes and if there are too many superheroes then there won't be enough cake to go around for Luthor to get some.

And that's terrible.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I dunno, probably the same reason Loki did in Avengers i.e he's an opportunistic oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If anyone questions how dumb this movie is, just tell them a wizard Darkseid did it.

• Locked thread