Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So I just got to Irithyll and first things first, Pontiff seems like a major rear end in a top hat since he only gives the dolls to people he likes. Everyone else he apparently just locks out. Secondly, spooky ghosts what the hell, why are there ghost dudes just walking in circles?

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

HAVE FUN READING ALL THAT, B1TCH

A Good Post, what would be your recommendation for some good candidates for raw infusion other than the obvious rear end?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
These fire witches are pretty rad enemies! It was cool to give them a fire spell they can rapidly cast that can hit you anywhere regardless of line of sight and casts so fast that even if you roll after getting hit, they'll probably still hit you with it again.

EDIT: Anri isn't at the bonfire she's supposed to be. Well I think I hosed up.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 18, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anor Londo is really cool. I spent a long time being terrified of that fog wall. Too bad the boss is such a chump compared to what I was expecting.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

welp, i found the best invasion spot in the game. i can consistently win 3v1s in the dungeon as long as i focus fire daggers on low hp estus chuggers and throw hunter charms at groups/the host. that plus all the enemies and hazards make for the best place to ruin someone's day.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is Irythill supposed to be as ridiculously difficult as it is? The pontiff knights are manageable if I can take them one at a time, but they're almost never alone. I feel like if I get within a foot of anything I get completely smashed. Is there another area I'm missing? I've done the catacombs already.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
The first portion of Irythill is weirdly overtuned. Once you get past it, there's a long stretch with significantly easier enemies, and when Pontiff Knights return it will be in much more managable numbers.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

did i just run into someone with a loving lag switch? they were animating just fine but as soon as they started losing they went into an invulnerable t pose and killed me and then it went away so they could gesture at me.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Just beat the game, p. good game, just as good as 1, if not better. Totally don't regret all that time lost grinding up a black knight greataxe, it was ridiculous. 665 AR made the last boss fights kinda easy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

A Good Post, what would be your recommendation for some good candidates for raw infusion other than the obvious rear end?

honestly i don't really know that well. it is probably not that big a deal as long as you don't go with something truly odious or overly gimmicky.

i've tried a rapier, the lucerne hammer, and the flamberge, and while i won a bit with all of them, they all had quite a few limitations that soured me on them. the rapier required enough points invested that making it raw didn't really add much to it and it is defeated by circlestrafing pretty well (although you could possibly just no lock on and solve that issue a bit), the lucerne could break blocks real well but didn't do enough damage, and the flamberge did more damage but cost a lot of stamina and was too slow. the broadsword is real solid in that i can swing it seven times in a fairly fast manner and, unlike the rapier, it sweeps out and moves you forward a bit when using it so it stunlocks better.

just keep an eye out for things with low stat requirements, varied movesets (otherwise you get too predictable) with quick sweeping attacks, long pokes or something else that lets you hit from a deceptively large distance like a lunge, and perhaps some sort of trick to gently caress with people. big slow sweeping attacks are not that great (although they can gently caress with rollers sometimes), stuff that eats stamina are generally bad, and i tend to avoid stuff that is overly reliant on some gimmick since just hitting people repeatedly with something simple often much more safe and effective thing. if a weapon is bad at pvp you'll probably figure that out quick enough once you test it out a bit.

ive seen a lot of people use katanas and while they tend to be effective since they're pretty quick, might just be a bit of a holder from DS2 meta. ive seen the claymore as well and that tends to be a pretty decent tool. dual wielded stuff tends to be pretty effective since blocking is generally a poor idea anyways. special note goes to the wolf greatsword + dagger for having a really annoying attack where the dude just sweeps around the ground like some anime nerd. what i have not seen _at all_ are daggers, which I'm a bit sad about since that quickstep thing looked interesting.

really i wish i could comment better on weapons but as an invader you tend to just see this big orange and white mass rushing at you and most of the weapons behave the same regardless of what it is. the things i have caught myself noting is using stuff like spear/shield since shields are bad and spears are slow, short swords since they're really good, that wolf greatsword deal for its silly attack, and super heavy greatswords/axes since i tend to get smashed real hard by them when i forget how strong the super armor is on them on how good their reach is. those might be fun against big groups of phantoms but my experience with the flamberge taught me that, unless you hit all of your foes, those big, high stamina attacks just leave you too vulnerable.

e: also, consider carrying two different weapons, just to keep people from really knowing what youre capable of.

e2: oh also, speaking of tools, the obscuring ring you can pick up from the fingers covenant is, as some other goon said, surprisingly useful. you can get close enough to shoot them with a crossbow without them being able to see you, and it keeps them from spying you in the distance and hiding in a closet or something.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 18, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

did i just run into someone with a loving lag switch? they were animating just fine but as soon as they started losing they went into an invulnerable t pose and killed me and then it went away so they could gesture at me.

No, you didn't, you just desynced from them, it happens.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

special note goes to the wolf greatsword + dagger for having a really annoying attack where the dude just sweeps around the ground like some anime nerd.

This is really loving annoying to run into in pvp and it seems hilariously easy to spam

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hivac posted:

This is really loving annoying to run into in pvp and it seems hilariously easy to spam

It's both extremely easy to block and parry, and if you're on the ball you can backstab someone as they breakdance their back past you.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Specto posted:

I kinda wish they put the BK greataxe on a corpse somewhere. 7 BK armors and leggings, 6 gauntlets and helms, 9 shields, and 280k souls and I have a single axe. At least it's really strong (505AR at +3, 40/30 STR/DEX)

I've been trying to get a BKUGS and have an armory of BK armor instead. At least I got a BK sword. It's way better than it was in DS2 though. The move set is great and I have a hard time justifying using something else.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hivac posted:

the problem is, it is insanely telegraphed and predictable. you can really just walk a bit away and wait for the guy to stop, then run in and start hitting him when he tries to do it again. it also is bad anywhere that isn't a big open space; last time i faced it was when a guy invaded me and i just hit him a bunch while he got stuck on geometry. finally, while you can hurt people with it, killing them is generally not going to happen since they can just roll away while you're in mid musou mode and heal.

of course when the dude is doing that when he's got a buddy, it is a lot more harder to cope with since while being hit by it doesn't really hurt at all to care, it makes you flinch at really annoying intervals so the other guy has a lot of windows to kick the poo poo out of you. still, when i see a dude using it, i'm generally pretty happy since they're usually really bad about spinning off to nowhere, making it more of a 2.5 v 1 or 1.5 v 1 than anything else.

e: when you don't know wtf the guy is doing, though, its sort of difficult to cope with, so using it as an invader might be worthwhile.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mazerunner posted:

Dancer is a super awesome fight. Probably one of the most atmospheric bosses in the entire series. Also hard, but mostly fair. I feel like I'm making progress. Except for that loving grab :argh:

Almost five hours later... I don't take this back! Still an awesome fight! A loving hard one, but great!!!! gently caress you, Dancer!! I win!!!

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Dancer was the best boss.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Internet Kraken posted:

Which is why that one room (you know the one) is terrifying if you don't take it slow.

Trip report of the first time through that room: pull, kill, run, savequit, repeat for 30 minutes. Then find out there's really no point in doing that and I should have just run straight through.

Nuebot posted:

Secondly, spooky ghosts what the hell, why are there ghost dudes just walking in circles?

Ghosts are cool unless you have dark2 DLC flashbacks.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I haven't been able to play for a week because of the stuttering and I was hoping this patch would fix that. It didn't. Miyazaki-sama, save us pathetic PC players. :negative:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I liked Dancer's design.

I did not like Dancer stabbing me through geometry.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
25k souls at level 17, not sure what to stat dump it into, already got the dilapidated tower key also.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wasn't Pontiff Sulyvahn supposed to be super difficult or something? I just beat him third try. To be fair he pretty much destroyed me the first couple of times, but the third go around I managed to kill him after a pretty lengthy battle. It seems like I saw a bunch of people talking about what a tough fight it was and I'm kinda hoping I didn't fluke my way through one of the tougher bosses.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

cheetah7071 posted:

Anor Londo is really cool. I spent a long time being terrified of that fog wall. Too bad the boss is such a chump compared to what I was expecting.

I felt this way about the majority of the bosses. It probably didn't help that I was probably somewhat overleveled for most of the game (I finished it at level 89.) Even still, the first three or four bosses were quite piddly in HP, before it was even really possible to be overleveled. Oh well, at least things should feel more appropriate in NG+. It's just a shame that lots of these bosses give a really intimidating impression, yet they go down so easily.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

supposedly the lighting bonfire crash is fixed and greatswords were buffed a bit but that's just from reading the steam forum so take it with a giant grain of salt.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So who is the waifu of this game

Is it dancer and her rear end?

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Wasn't Pontiff Sulyvahn supposed to be super difficult or something? I just beat him third try. To be fair he pretty much destroyed me the first couple of times, but the third go around I managed to kill him after a pretty lengthy battle. It seems like I saw a bunch of people talking about what a tough fight it was and I'm kinda hoping I didn't fluke my way through one of the tougher bosses.

He reminds me a lot of Logarius. Some people just have certain bosses click for them more than others - I heard a lot about the AWs and I only got hit once in that entire fight, but some of the later bosses kicked me in the junk over and over.

There are also definitely times when bosses fall into weird patterns and you just don't see some of their moves. Aldrich is a great example of that, and most people finish the Deacon fight before they see any of the dangerous attacks. I dunno if PS is one of those bosses, but you could always sunbro to find out for sure!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I AM BRAWW posted:

Dark Souls lore has a lot of holes that aren't really clear but it's because the main point is the overall theme that stays the same. As long as you understand the theme then you get a basic story from it, but again it's mostly repetition. Age of Fire/Dark, 4 Lord Souls, Chosen Undead, Abyss, cycle repeating themselves over and over, etc.. A lot of it is up to player intepretation.

The DLC of Dark Souls 2 kind of experiments with a new answer thought, wherein the three crowns allow an undead to never go hollow. Meaning in a way, the DLC ending does kind of break the flow somehow. Anyway, I haven't even finished Dark Souls 3.

I think the special DS2 ending is more about your character escaping the flow, rejecting desire and reaching zen, so the universe is probably going to keep on turning. You're right that there's so many holes so it's not really worth trying to get perfect answers.Aldritch's soul talks about the deep Sea, there's a bunch of references to the painted world, all the trees, how everything is simultaneously decades and millenia after ds1, which kind of never happened? It's gonna take like 12 youtube videos to sort out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

According to my roommate, who read every ounce of the wiki a week before the game came out in the US, it is Yuria, the NPC that replaces Yoel when he dies, provided you follow his quest line prior to entering the Abyss Watchers fight. Edit: wups it's not Yuria, it's Anri.

There is a sort-of waifu situation with Sirris. If you complete her quest line, she asks to become your loyal knight or something like that, and I imagine from that point on you can summon her for bosses but idk because I didn't finish it until postgame and lol summoning for bosses.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

This time it's the player character.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007
Awesome, the patch didn't fix the crashing and my game saved at a point that crashes the game as soon as it loads.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

When I fought him he ran into a wall and I just kept smashing him with my fully charged R2 attack and he didn't really seem to know what to do. I felt kind of bad for him.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lakitouille posted:

Awesome, the patch didn't fix the crashing and my game saved at a point that crashes the game as soon as it loads.

If low lighting fixed it before make sure the patch didn't reset that.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

Yorshka

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do you get to the tree fight other than going through the area where big boy is chucking spears? I did it that way the first time, but going down the steps to what was my "exit" I saw a bunch of notes telling me "boss ahead", leading me to believe most people came from that way.

The tower where the jerks throw firebombs at you/the explosive barrels all around you has a bonfire right under it--from the bridge heading to the tower, look down and you'll see a walkway. Roll off, kill the few dudes down there and there's a bonfire in the room.

From there, you can run to the tree (through the giant doors you have to open from the other way first) without having to fight anything.

Alternatively:
The tree is (I think) an optional boss, you don't have to fight him right then. You can go the other way down the road from the giant doors to find the tower where the dude's shooting the arrows, and then you can stop him from shooting any more arrows at you.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007

Orv posted:

If low lighting fixed it before make sure the patch didn't reset that.

Low lighting never worked for me. :(

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I feel like this is a fight where your build really really determines how easy it is. Do you have enough Stamina to kill his ghost as he spawns it? Does your weapon stagger him in a hit or two, or does it take 4 - 5 hits? Those are the really big ones especially. For example, the thing about Sulyvahn phase 1 is he's got a lot of big openings, but those openings generally only lasts for one attack or so - a big gently caress-off twohander can use that opening to gently caress his poo poo up and stagger or maybe even flatten him, leaving no worries for retaliation, while someone rolling with a straight sword or spear or what-have-you never have that 'safety'. Another thing is, if you have a weapon with good reach like a spear or big greatsword, hitting him and his ghost together is easy, but if you have a weapon with little reach then it's really really hard. Getting a 'free' kill on the ghost whether on spawn or through regular attacks makes phase 2 a lot easier. And so on and so forth.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET
So I just wandered off to try and figure out how to get to a boss and ended up skipping a boss on accident :frogbon:

Lakitouille posted:

When this started happening to me I unequipped my head armor and put my lighting on low. Reason being is that when I equipped head armor is when it first started crashing... so I started just leaving it off. If all else fails consult your local witchdoctor.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lakitouille posted:

I know how you feel, man. :smith: I really want to play this game but Bandai-Namco have been tight-lipped about any sort of fix for a week now.

dogcheese
Apr 1, 2004

I've been having fun with mad phantom invasions and I plotted out what I wanted my guy to be.

So first I went down the londor questline to get hollowed and acquire the chameleon spell.
I got one of the four-prong pitchforks from the guys in undead settlement.
Coupled with the ring that gives +dmg for having low equip, I usually run sub-30%
Plus the knight-killer ring that drains stam when blocked.
The +dmg if you're full health ring, because if everything works out I should get the first and only hits (it doesn't usually work out that way)
And lastly, the stam regen ring.

Here is a collection of some stupid videos of me being retarded in this game :

http://tinyurl.com/hz34wmt

I welcome any suggestions on how to "get gudder."

dogcheese fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Christ, there are more Mimics in this game than regular chests. Someone needs to call an exterminator.