Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Pilsner posted:

Did you also go visit Trakanon? :) Not that he's up very often, that is.

I did, the undead bard was up in his place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I did, the undead bard was up in his place though.
My main on live that I play every year or two is a 75 SK that I've kept at that level for the last several years so I can still farm a bunch of AA's in my favorite old-world places (mainly Sebillis). He's pretty much permacamped at Trak ledge. Did the bard epic with him up to the point where you get the turn-in item to spawn Trakanon from undead bard (which the bard returns to you after turn-in), so I have pretty much gotten/sold/destroyed if LORE every piece of Trak loot multiple times. Harm Touch 1-shots him in the span of its DoT component, and harmshield immediately afterwards prevents him from banishing you.

Mostly I just play p99 cause the game kind of turned into poop starting with GoD/OoW expansions in my opinion.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Gray Matter posted:

My main on live that I play every year or two is a 75 SK that I've kept at that level for the last several years so I can still farm a bunch of AA's in my favorite old-world places (mainly Sebillis). He's pretty much permacamped at Trak ledge. Did the bard epic with him up to the point where you get the turn-in item to spawn Trakanon from undead bard (which the bard returns to you after turn-in), so I have pretty much gotten/sold/destroyed if LORE every piece of Trak loot multiple times. Harm Touch 1-shots him in the span of its DoT component, and harmshield immediately afterwards prevents him from banishing you.

Mostly I just play p99 cause the game kind of turned into poop starting with GoD/OoW expansions in my opinion.

I didn't realize the spawned version of Trak dropped loot. For that matter, I didn't realize an SK could get that far in the Bard epic.

My character is an SK too, but only lvl 66. What you're doing sounds fun, but I don't think I feel like grinding out the quest bits to get there.

Meanwhile, what is the highest level I can bring my SK to and still get EXP in Velious and Kunark dungeons? I want to make a fun Old Content Killing Machine, I give only half a poo poo about Luclin and no shits about content after that. Velious and older is what I want to see.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
All you need is a white dragon scale, a red dragon scale and some metal bits. Hand them to some gnome in one of the windmills in Steamfont and he'll hand you the lute body that you hand the undead bard to spawn Trak. Pretty simple these days.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Meanwhile, what is the highest level I can bring my SK to and still get EXP in Velious and Kunark dungeons? I want to make a fun Old Content Killing Machine, I give only half a poo poo about Luclin and no shits about content after that. Velious and older is what I want to see.
Any reason you still want to be able to get XP? You'll max out either level or AAs (instantly max AA if you subscribe due to auto-grant) pretty quick. I guess any reasonable XP in Velious would max out at 70, in zones like Western Wastes, Skyshrine and Kael, but it'll be stupidly slow and tough, since they are all raid zones, sort of. I guess Dragon Necropolis could provide XP up until around 65, but again, slow as balls.

If you want a classic killing machine, it's as simple as leveling to 80, get some cheap level 80 bazaar gear, then go berserk.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Pilsner posted:

Any reason you still want to be able to get XP? You'll max out either level or AAs (instantly max AA if you subscribe due to auto-grant) pretty quick. I guess any reasonable XP in Velious would max out at 70, in zones like Western Wastes, Skyshrine and Kael, but it'll be stupidly slow and tough, since they are all raid zones, sort of. I guess Dragon Necropolis could provide XP up until around 65, but again, slow as balls.

If you want a classic killing machine, it's as simple as leveling to 80, get some cheap level 80 bazaar gear, then go berserk.

I had no idea subscribing dumped a bunch of AAs on my character. I'm happy to give EQ some bucks for this.

How does it work? My character is lvl 66 right now. I assume he gets AA'd to something appropriate for a lvl 66 character. When he levels up, do AAs continue getting granted or is it a one-time thing (and thus I should maybe get to, say, lvl 70 first?).

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
With a subscription (or on Test), with Auto-Grant enabled, you gain every AA that is available for your level (with the exception of a couple 'General' AA) up until level cap of the second or third latest expansion (90 now? may be higher).

Basically, you enable it and then camp out/log back in and gain a boatload of AA, and then every time you level you'll gain a couple hundred depending on your class.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Well geeze. And here I spent some time in The Hole this weekend getting AAs the manual way.

The Hole is one of my favorite zones. No regrets.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Do you retain these autogranted AA's if you revert to a silver or free subscription after getting them? Might be worth a 1 month sub if so

shwag
Apr 23, 2008
I too would like to know this, I am pretty sure I know the answer but would be a nice surprise if you kept them :) Just came back after not playing since OoW and i'm just starting to get my feet under me. I also can not get this equip a lvl 100 bow for the dmg at any level thing people talk about to work. It might of gotten fixed but I can equip it but cant actually fire it. I am years behind on everything and have no idea what i'm doing I just have been headshot farming aa's in bloodfields.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Yeah, you keep the AA's after your sub ends.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Aragosta posted:

Yeah, you keep the AA's after your sub ends.
I can confirm this. Everything can be activated and passive AAs remain there. You just can't spend saved AA (spend all you have before your sub ends) nor earn more.

What I did was grind my F2P boxes to level 100, then use a Krono on each of them, then first let auto-grant do its magic, then grind the poo poo out of AAs for that month. You can also do this at lower levels of course, you just might want to wrap up the AA grind with a final subscription at max level.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I bought a month for the auto grant.

It certainly made the character a shitload more powerful.

What should I take advantage of while the subscription is live? Does it entitle me to a more powerful merc or anything?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I bought a month for the auto grant.

It certainly made the character a shitload more powerful.

What should I take advantage of while the subscription is live? Does it entitle me to a more powerful merc or anything?
It does entitle you to a Journeyman merc, but after your sub runs out, you won't be able to spawn it any longer, just so you know. As far as I know, the difference between Apprentice and Journeyman mercs isn't that great at level levels (<80 roughly), so you can live without.

The perks of all access are:

• Can obtain over 1000 AAs (retained after sub runs out)
  • Auto-grant AA available
  • More character slots on your account (in my experience, you can access these extra chars even after your sub runs out - can other people confirm?)
  • Access to spell/ability ranks 2 & 3 (retained after sub runs out, but function as rank 1 when actually cast)
  • Loyalty Crowns accumulate faster (see below)
  • You get 5 free Legends of Norrath booster packs per month of being subbed (these can be reclaimed in that horrible Legends of Norrath in-game game, and if you're lucky, you might get a useful clickie)
  • You can claim 500 free Daybreak coin in-game (in the Marketplace window) once per month while subbed)
  • 10% discount on Marketplace items
  • Journeyman tier mercs available (unusable after sub runs out)
  • Ability to sell in the bazaar
  • More fancy houses and guild halls (I think they will be unusable after sub runs out)
  • Access to Progression Servers (will be revoked when sub runs out)
  • Unlimited Chat channel access (can join more server-wide channels I think, haven't tested it much)
  • Full Guild Functionality (not sure what this is)
  • Preferred Status with Customer Service (LOL)
Also, I forgot if they changd it, but at least a few years ago, an F2P player was unable to buy the Bag of Platinum with Loyalty Crowns (automatically accumulated currency, accumulates faster if you're subbed). So, if you have a few thousands loyalty crowns and nothing particular to spend them on (here's what you can buy, you can buy some bags to get some quick cash and get going. You right-click the bag after buying it and receive roughly 15k plat. You might also want to buy extra character slots (Doll of Character item) and Gold Tickets.

In short, focus on levels (with auto-grant), and if you get past level 90, grind some AAs using those easy Dead Hills Heroic Adventure missions. Buy Doll of Character and fill up your account with alts you might feel like playing in the future (stuff like an Enchanter for enchant spells is always good to have), claim the 500 free Daybreak coin and claim your Legends of Norrath packs.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So I was planning on showing an old friend what EQ raids are like and letting him play on one of my accounts this weekend, does anyone want to join? Maybe do some old world sky or PoT or something on test? I would do it Cazic, but it would just be easier to do everything on test for $$ sake.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I realize things have changed so much since j last played that my 67 SK is badly out of date when it comes to spells and perhaps disciplines.

Can I buy the missing spells in PoK? Is there an easy way to see what spells I am missing, or do I need to manually check his spellbook against a list?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You can buy most spells in PoK, some might be on the necro vendor though. I'm pretty sure the vendor for discs won't display ones you already have, I don't think that's true for spells unless you have the scroll in your inventory, but I could be wrong.
You won't need really old spells in the future I don't think, unless you really need Locate Corpse and stuff. Later expansions come with upgrades of your old spells. You definitely want Harmshield

Sort the vendor by price, the latest spells are more expensive (unless they are a necro line.)

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 14, 2016

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Turns out the spell vendors only show you spells you do not have in your book -- very handy.

I killed Trakanon tonight. I've had the three Iksar medallions in the bank for a decade. I'll complete the quest tomorrow, what's one more day after all?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Turns out the spell vendors only show you spells you do not have in your book -- very handy.

I killed Trakanon tonight. I've had the three Iksar medallions in the bank for a decade. I'll complete the quest tomorrow, what's one more day after all?
In case you missed it, there's a checkbox in the bottom left corner of the merchant window, which you can check/uncheck to only show items you can use in some fashion.

Regarding spells, did you notice how neatly you can right-click an empty spell gem and get a categorized menu of your spells? You virtually never use your spell book these days.

Good job on the VP key, I completed it (again, 15 years on) for fun recently. There are a few nasty camps, but hey, that's EQ for you. The good thing about having a 4-box crew is that you can multi-camp across the world, and then just run your main/relevant char to the spot you need when you see the rare mob pop. In dungeons, the corpse rot timer is 30 minutes, so you have plenty of time to run on.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

In case you missed it, there's a checkbox in the bottom left corner of the merchant window, which you can check/uncheck to only show items you can use in some fashion.

Regarding spells, did you notice how neatly you can right-click an empty spell gem and get a categorized menu of your spells? You virtually never use your spell book these days.

Good job on the VP key, I completed it (again, 15 years on) for fun recently. There are a few nasty camps, but hey, that's EQ for you. The good thing about having a 4-box crew is that you can multi-camp across the world, and then just run your main/relevant char to the spot you need when you see the rare mob pop. In dungeons, the corpse rot timer is 30 minutes, so you have plenty of time to run on.

Do you use Isboxer?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am trying to think of fun old school quests to do on my 68 SK. I want quests that are iconic and take me through Classic stuff with minimal grind, maximum story exposure.

1) VP key - done
2) Sleeper's Key - not started
3) Coldain Rings - only ring 10 left to go
4) Epic - had it for a decade now

What else should I do? Any neat quests involving VP, ToV, ST?

Also, is the final Coldain ring war soloable? If I screw it up and get the dwarves all killed, can I try again?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Greenmist?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

Do you use Isboxer?
Yup, been using it for years. Wouldn't want to be without it.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am trying to think of fun old school quests to do on my 68 SK. I want quests that are iconic and take me through Classic stuff with minimal grind, maximum story exposure.

1) VP key - done
2) Sleeper's Key - not started
3) Coldain Rings - only ring 10 left to go
4) Epic - had it for a decade now

What else should I do? Any neat quests involving VP, ToV, ST?

Also, is the final Coldain ring war soloable? If I screw it up and get the dwarves all killed, can I try again?
Minimal grind quests, in classic EQ? :lol:

Yes, the Coldain Ring quest is soloable (I think I did it in the mid-70's many years ago), and repeatable after a day or so. I commented on Alla on the quest with a few tips: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=1291#m1299016248250056647

Some other tips:

- Coldain Shawl
- The Lost Map (Eyepatch of Plunder)
- Soulfire quest, now that should be a challenge for an SK? :P
- All Plane of Sky quests for your class; I went up there every day for months to get the items.
- Darkforge SK armor quests

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Already have Greenmist (+ good Iksar faction as an Ogre) and Eyepatch of Plunder. The rest are good ideas.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
any of you goons leveling on phinny around the high 20s range and need a ranger pal?

lfg is pretty desolate

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I would like to purchase a krono. Who is the go to resource nowadays?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

there was a banwave from third party kronos lately.

Not sure what's safe right now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

Not sure what's safe right now.

Well that sucks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dubious posted:

Source?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
How much are Kronos selling for Phinney this days ?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

a small handful of people in my guild on phinny just ate bans and suspensions and they were from admittedly buying 3rd party kronos

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dubious posted:

a small handful of people in my guild on phinny just ate bans and suspensions and they were from admittedly buying 3rd party kronos
OK, I still reserve the right to be skeptic; maybe they were also cheating in the form of using a VM, ShowEQ or whatever and won't admit it. It's certainly not everyone who has been banned. Maybe people buying from a certain seller were hit more.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yea, it's tough to say.

I have bought a few black market kronos about a month ago and I wasn't hit by the punish wave.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone had issues with getting a payment to daybreak to go through ? Trying to use the same card/address/isp I was using successfully last year and now daybreak say its being declined by the bank, but the bank says theres no issue from their end and theres been no attempt to take a payment.

This seems to be a lot of effort to give them money.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

jabro posted:

I used PlayerAuctions, they might not be the cheapest option but both times I bought from there I got my items in less than an hour and no issues.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Baconroll posted:

Anyone had issues with getting a payment to daybreak to go through ? Trying to use the same card/address/isp I was using successfully last year and now daybreak say its being declined by the bank, but the bank says theres no issue from their end and theres been no attempt to take a payment.

This seems to be a lot of effort to give them money.
There's an in-game MOTD right now saying that Krono is "delayed by up to 48 hours", maybe they are having other billing issues. Might be related, but just a guess. Otherwise I'd try another payment option if you can.

As for a Krono source, it's just hearsay from my side, but people in this thread have said that playeractions is shady. People have recommended sellers on the redguides.com forum, with a good rating and a long history of positive comments.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I tried paying for all access via Steam and it went straight through and also bought a couple of Kronos using Paypal. Think I'll avoid using Daybreak's own credit card processing in future.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Baconroll posted:

avoid using Daybreak
Sounds like a good plan.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any recommendations for a repeatable quest that a couple of thousand PP can level you from 1-12+ on Phinny ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Crushbone belts/the Freeport equivalent/gnoll fangs/one of the like six bone chip quests/goblin ears in Highpass?

e: I don't actually play on Phinny so I didn't know they nerfed the exp from those quests.

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 19, 2016