Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

quote:

Sorry, I didn't read the whole article - if I had, I would have known that the vegetable in question was shoved up his rear end by the future newspaper article "Doctors remove 18-inch cassava from man who tried to use it as a sex toy."

Thus securing its own existence. That's some evocative butt stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

a goon posted:

Sorry, I didn't read the whole article - if I had, I would have known that the vegetable in question was shoved up his rear end by the future newspaper article "Doctors remove 18-inch cassava from man who tried to use it as a sex toy."

the buttstrap paradox

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More butt stuff.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Say Nothing posted:

More butt stuff.

The last time I had a cinnamon roll can explode in my butt I did NOT have that expression.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dumb. posted:

The last time I had a cinnamon roll can explode in my butt I did NOT have that expression.

I am not really confident, but I think it is a man whose butt was exploded by a cinnamon roll can and he seems 😬.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Or it's a fake headline

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fake headlines and Sunday Sport stories get a pass for the faces.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zakharov posted:

Or it's a fake headline

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Article is old, but I recently shared it with a friend and thought the thread might find this little local mystery interesting.

http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/edi...1cc4c03286.html

A black woman in Iowa starts wearing extremely heavy white clown makeup at all times when she is outside of the house, doing so for about 50 years up until her death. She never would tell anyone why, including her relatives. People here still talk about her - mostly good. Some of my friends had experiences of being afraid of her as children, but she was a very warm personality when you talked to her.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWFosb98Kec

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote that headline.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is there anything dogs can't do?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Plz don't dox [b]Morally Inept[b].

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Are they baffled by the appearance of a duvet filled with coconuts or that someone mistook that for a dead animal? I could see it going either way. What animal, alive or dead, resembles a duvet of coconuts or vice versa? Was it an animal print duvet? Were the reports all by the same person or multiple people? How many coconuts? Are they still edible? Were they taken away as evidence? I have so many questions. :ohdear:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I suspect the answer is "All of the above"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here's a strange editorial I just found, about parrots and from an 1877 issue of the New York Times. This guy is really mad about parrots. And parrot schools. And barbers. And Mr. W. B. Cooper.

quote:

PARROTS.

There are few persons or things that are more objectionable than the parrot. In the first place, considered merely as a bird, there is altogether too much of him. The graceful little canary in this delicate wire cage is a thing of beauty even in the eyes of the cold and cynical cat, but the large and gaudy parrot in his immense tin penitentiary is about as unfit to ornament a room as would be a savings bank President dressed in a red coat and yellow trousers and confined in a large meat-safe hung on the side of the wall. The parrot would not seem to be so offensively large were it not for his wretched taste in dress. The more colors that perverse bird can heap upon himself the better is he pleased, and his especial fondness for red, yellow, and green, is the unmistakable mark of a low and vulgar nature. Everybody knows that he cannot sing. Indeed, the parrot admits this himself, and devotes all his energies to the imitation of the language of other animals. There is no doubt that he is a good linguist, but he grossly perverts his natural abilities. Hundreds of parrots have learned to speak the cat, the human, and the horse languages, together with half a dozen different dog dialects, but what use have they ever made of these accomplishments? Has a parrot ever translated the remarks of the cat in regard to the family mice into the language of the householder, so that the latter could more effectually lay his places for the extermination of the mice? or has any parrot thought of repeating to the cat the threats that he may have overheard certain disreputable dogs make in reference to her? The parrot scorns any really useful action of this kind. His highest ambition is to try to imitate some human being whose conversation may have made an impression upon him, and, as a rule, he selects for repetition the most silly and objectionable remarks that his model makes. It appears to be the conviction of nearly every parrot that every one whom he meets is an erring Southern citizen, who needs to be conciliated by a series of disconnected platitudes. The effect upon the average man is maddening to the last degree, and it is noticeable that no really kind-hearted and genial person ever keeps a parrot. That offensive style of bird is either kept by misanthropic old ladies or by malignant persons with a special grudge against their neighbors. A good man would no more dream of keeping a parrot than he would of keeping a Postmaster-General addicted to making a few humorous remarks every five or ten minutes during the day; and an intelligent man would sooner listen to an open-air performance by a peripatetic Administration than come within hearing of a parrot of any species whatever.

Mr. W. B. COOPER, of Philadelphia, is either a sanguine philanthropist or a peculiarly ingenious misanthropist, for the two resemble one another so closely that in many cases the differences are imperceptible. Mr. COOPER thinks that the parrot's abilities as a linguist can be greatly developed by education, and he proposes to establish a university for the exclusive education of parrots. It is his opinion that what parrots need is not strychnine or the wringing of their detestable necks, but "intellectual environment." In order to demonstrate the correctness of this view he intends to collect a large number of intelligent parrots, and give them daily lessons by competent masters. Parrots of all ages will be admitted, and there will be infant classes for newly-fledged parrots, as well as classes in languages, grammar, and rhetoric for adult parrots. Frequent examinations will be held, and those parrots who, either because of natural stupidity or willful neglect of study, are unable to pass the examinations will be dismissed. Thus, in the upper classes there will be none but able and learned parrots, and their associations with one another and with Mr. COOPER and his competent masters will constitute the "intelligent environment" of which Mr. COOPER speaks. He cherishes the belief that parrots can be taught to converse as well as the average barber, and to make public speeches that will compare favorably with those of conciliatory Cabinet officers. Very possibly his hopes may be fully accomplished, but it is hardly necessary to say that the world would scarcely gain thereby.

It will be noticed that Mr. COOPER says nothing whatever in regard to the care which will be given to the morals of the parrots of his university. The inference is that his teaching will be strictly secular, and will have nothing whatever to do with morals. His parrots will sit at their desks and pursue their purely intellectual studies, while their morals will be totally neglected. The result will be inevitable. Bad as the ignorant parrot is, the educated parrot will be far worse. Whereas, the parrot in his normal condition is notoriously profane, and much given to repeating the Swinburnian language of the forecastle, the cultured parrot will adopt other and even more detestable vices. If he is taught to speak with fluency and coherence, what is there to prevent him from becoming a confirmed and habitual lawyer, and arguing in open court the insanity of murderers, or convincing intelligent juries that a life of chronic banking necessarily renders a man morally irresponsible for his acts? How are we to prevent educated parrots from entering the ministry--especially since women have already led the way--and preaching voluble sermons setting forth the beauties of some new religion, or demonstrating that blue tailfeathers are among the vestments which a parrot minister may lawfully wear? Worse than all, we shall find it impossible to keep parrots out of Congress. They will point to this able advocate of the silver dollar, or that bold supporter of the right of the working man to regulate his wages by the weight of his bludgeon, and will triumphantly ask if an educated feathered parrot is not the peer of these human statesmen. Having thus put us to shame and silence, the parrots will win votes by the charm of their natural powers, and will crowd the paths to political preferment. We shall have a Congress of unprincipled parrots voting themselves enormous quantities of crackers, and constantly delivering interminable speeches full of glittering and sounding generalities concerning the beauties of lump sugar and the virtues and wants of the parrot race.

Something ought to be done to Mr. COOPER, and the conviction will soon become general that it should be done with a club of a heavy mallet. This nation is already nearly talked to death. What with its politicians, its lecturers, its barbers, and its professional men, it suffers from talk to an extent unparalleled in history. And yet this remorseless COOPER would deliberately induce parrots to add their talk to the deluge of gabble which is overwhelming us. Beyond a doubt, Mr. COOPER is a bold, bad man, and the public will fail in its duty if it permits him to open his parrot university. He ought to be shut up in a small room with a dozen parrots and half a dozen veteran barbers. Twenty-four hours of this would be quite enough. At the end of that time Mr. COOPER'S remains could be given to some medical college. The parrots and the barbers would be left a few hours longer to emulate the excellent example of the Kilkenny cats, and the scheme of educating parrots be thus signally frustrated, to the great good of the nation and of mankind.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1877/09/29/80663314.html?pageNumber=4
originally published Sept. 29, 1877

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's a strange editorial I just found, about parrots and from an 1877 issue of the New York Times. This guy is really mad about parrots. And parrot schools. And barbers. And Mr. W. B. Cooper.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1877/09/29/80663314.html?pageNumber=4

Found a picture of the writer:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Please, please, please, I beseech you, O LORD, let this be real.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not. http://www.snopes.com/suicide-black-star-wars-character/

Come on Say Nothing, I know it's your thread but there's not even anything humorous there. it's just an absence of news or comedy

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's not. http://www.snopes.com/suicide-black-star-wars-character/

Come on Say Nothing, I know it's your thread but there's not even anything humorous there. it's just an absence of news or comedy

dsyp

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Here

Trump mistakenly cites 7-Eleven instead of 9/11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ml?tid=pm_pop_b

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Aesop Poprock posted:

Here

Trump mistakenly cites 7-Eleven instead of 9/11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ml?tid=pm_pop_b

In all fairness, I have done the same thing.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

depression and suicide is funny, if the depressed person fixates on something bad.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

In all fairness, I have done the same thing.

unlike you, I never forget.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I like the bit where the educated parrots would become politicians "especially since women have already led the way".

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Cumslut1895 posted:

depression and suicide is funny, if the depressed person fixates on something bad.

may I remind you, #killallmen

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That's amazing, reads like an SA frontpage article. Some people back then had a good sense of humor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i assume those are two unrelated sentences

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2rkCEr3U4

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Florida man teenager accused as posing as a doctor offered plea deal

Kid opened his own surgery and treated patients. And he looked like this. How did anyone ever believe he was an actual doctor?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

schadenfraud posted:

Florida man teenager accused as posing as a doctor offered plea deal

Kid opened his own surgery and treated patients. And he looked like this. How did anyone ever believe he was an actual doctor?

Once you get old enough that the doctors all look younger than you, that's not really something you can judge anymore. To me he doesn't look any different from half the doctors I've seen in the last few years, I would absolutely be fooled if I didn't have other reasons to doubt his credentials. :corsair:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Some people just look really young, you know, and you wouldn't want to be rude to a doctor.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If my doc showed up with that hairstyle, I'd find a new one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wait, you're saying Doogie Howser, M.D. wasn't a documentary? :aaa:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

'Thousands of pounds' worth of Nintendo games stolen from lorry in Northamptonshire
http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/star_fox_zero/news/thousands_of_pounds_worth_of_nintendo_games_stolen_from_lorry_in_northamptonshire.html
Video games are serious business.

Apparently this isn't the first time, either.

quote:

The theft follows less than a year after a lorry load of Wii U shooter Splatoon and various Amiibo figures were stolen from Nintendo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

AlphaKretin posted:

'Thousands of pounds' worth of Nintendo games stolen from lorry in Northamptonshire
http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/star_fox_zero/news/thousands_of_pounds_worth_of_nintendo_games_stolen_from_lorry_in_northamptonshire.html
Video games are serious business.

Apparently this isn't the first time, either.

Why would you leave something small enough to steal and worth thousands of pounds overnight in a canvas-covered truck? Seems pretty easy to break in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mister Adequate posted:

Once you get old enough that the doctors all look younger than you, that's not really something you can judge anymore. To me he doesn't look any different from half the doctors I've seen in the last few years, I would absolutely be fooled if I didn't have other reasons to doubt his credentials. :corsair:

On top of that pleasant phenomenon (my GP is younger than I am, and my mom's was in my grade in high school) my local hospital is a university hospital, so half the people I end up seeing in any given appointment are student doctors in their early 20s. :corsair::hf::corsair: