Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That's weird, I have carpal tunnel and using a hook grip(which from what it feels like to me, puts the bars more in your fingers) is actually much easier on my wrist then in my palms. I'm not an expert or anything though.

Hm. I tried a hook grip a couple times and started to get that bad tingle, though maybe it was unrelated to the hook grip itself (sometimes I work with my hands during the day doing moderately strenuous stuff, can't remember if one of those days coincided with hook grip attempts). I'll try it again once my palms heal up, and once I have better gloves. (I usually use thin gloves that don't mess with my grip placement, I've found baseball gloves work well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hm. I tried a hook grip a couple times and started to get that bad tingle, though maybe it was unrelated to the hook grip itself (sometimes I work with my hands during the day doing moderately strenuous stuff, can't remember if one of those days coincided with hook grip attempts). I'll try it again once my palms heal up, and once I have better gloves. (I usually use thin gloves that don't mess with my grip placement, I've found baseball gloves work well.)

You're going to miss my reply because it ended up on the bottom of last page but don't use gloves.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

You're going to miss my reply because it ended up on the bottom of last page but don't use gloves.

Ah, I see it - and yeah, I've tried it without gloves and with baseball gloves, and the baseball gloves worked fine because they're so thin. They don't increase diameter in any appreciable way.

I guess I'll take your advice and deadlift without gloves until I get my next set of decent baseball gloves, and if I get used to it / it feels better than with the thin baseball gloves I'll continue to deadlift without gloves.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
My less-than-athletic buddy sent me a video and I turned it into a gif for you:

http://i.imgur.com/W6xmuhg.gifv

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Ah, I see it - and yeah, I've tried it without gloves and with baseball gloves, and the baseball gloves worked fine because they're so thin. They don't increase diameter in any appreciable way.

I guess I'll take your advice and deadlift without gloves until I get my next set of decent baseball gloves, and if I get used to it / it feels better than with the thin baseball gloves I'll continue to deadlift without gloves.

You also want to be filing down your callouses when they get to big. I do mine once every other week or so with a foot file.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Another way to get the right grip without getting nasty callouses is when you take your stance and grip, wiggle your hands while pulling slightly on the bar. It will slide down to where it's going to end up anyway except it won't take a strip of skin with it. I used to have to file down callouses, too, but ever since i fixed the bar position I only ever have yellowed spots on my palms :dance:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Your method is ideal for health n general fitness. Squatting is not mandatory, but you could add lunges or split squats if you want more legwork.

Unless you have a specific goal in mind like bigger arms or something, I'd keep doing your thing :cool:

^ That. Not everyone needs steroids, not everyone needs to bench crazy weight and have their palms turn in due to ridiculous shoulders. If you're happy with your body and what you're doing, keep on keepin' on. :toot:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I will try lunges since I'm bad at them (I lose balance), but I run a lot of hills so maybe I will do them with a really light weight for a while.

I don't really have any fitness goals other than to be generally healthy and able to run. One day far in the future I would like to press my bodyweight overhead, but I'm not following a specific program anymore. I just bump the weight up a little when it starts to feel easy.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Any advice for boosting bench press strength? Got 220 in Squats and 265 in Deadlift, Bench is stuck at 175 1RM, repping 3x6 at 135 (+ warmup).
Had some shoulder trouble on my left side that seems to come and go but it's getting better.

My strength struggles about 30% on the way up / into the rep.
Current training program, in addition to this there is some arm work on monday and wednesday as well.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hj6OTpHNZz9gNpPhuEYYv0QISnDqu7gLb0Lgn0aV0qs/edit?usp=sharing

Been doing it for about 8 months now, had amazing changes to the body, guess Im just abit impatient with the benchpress, pre this - I had been sitting in a chair for 10 years :p

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zahgaegun posted:

I used to do that at work with the compressed air nozzles when I got bored. I've never seen it quite to that extent though, it's impressively gross.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

I used to do that at work with the compressed air nozzles when I got bored. I've never seen it quite to that extent though, it's impressively gross.

I told him he was close to inventing a new way to measure bf%

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Uxzuigal posted:

My strength struggles about 30% on the way up / into the rep.

Triceps

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Brutalizing those every week, any excercise you'd recommend? - it seems to be in the transition the issue is. I feel that I am rather strong in triceps on other things.

I've got bodyweight dips, tricep pushdowns, skullcrushers/frenchpress in addition to doing sitting dips (table) at home several times a week (my way of getting blood pumping in the morning).

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
If you're shopping in the baseball aisle, at least buy a rosin bag instead.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If body weight dips are not challenging anymore then strap on that dip belt and start pulling plates. It's like a panniculus you can leave at the gym.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

Brutalizing those every week, any excercise you'd recommend? - it seems to be in the transition the issue is. I feel that I am rather strong in triceps on other things.

I've got bodyweight dips, tricep pushdowns, skullcrushers/frenchpress in addition to doing sitting dips (table) at home several times a week (my way of getting blood pumping in the morning).

Do close grip bench press or pin presses or something with around as much weight as you're using for regular bench. If you want your bench to go you you need to train your triceps with the kind of weight you want to move.

Adding weight to your dips is a good idea too.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

JFairfax posted:

did you cycle anywhere interesting?
all sorts of weird places

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yep, I'm 99% sure it was those damned gloves. This is the worst my right hand's calluses have looked in over a year. They're usually only slightly discolored, more like my pinky's and most of my ring finger's callus.

I got so used to being fine with those thin gloves (that really only guard against abrasions) for almost everything that I forgot that not all gloves are good for all workouts. Gg me. Live and learn to not be such a cocky rear end in a top hat.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Do close grip bench press or pin presses or something with around as much weight as you're using for regular bench. If you want your bench to go you you need to train your triceps with the kind of weight you want to move.

Adding weight to your dips is a good idea too.

Pin presses looks interesting, but not possible at our gym sadly, gonna try some close grip bench however, and start adding some weight to my dips soon. Recently just managed my own bodyweight for full sets.
Chasing 220lbs/100kg this year. Be nice to have all 3 powerlifting excercises over 100kg. :>

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

http://mybootcampfriend.com/muscle2/index.php this was a "sponsored" post in my Facebook feed. I wish I could be as jacked and rapey as Oakman!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
That link doesnt go anywhere and im now im curious

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

40 minute assault bike workout.

Holy potatoes.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can someone explain why I should bother getting 'fit' when all that matters to Women is FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME? Take a look at these 2 guys:

Women will always get wet over the guy on the right and ignore the guy on the left. Know why? Because the guy on the right has FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME. Physical attractiveness (and Psychological attractiveness, but I won't get into that now) are genetically pre-determined. All lifting does is make you look like an overcompensating gymcel unless you have FACE, HEIGHT, and FRAME.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lifting heavy things is fun u retard

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Chinatown posted:

lifting heavy things is fun u retard, good sir.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I subconsciously associate sloping shoulders with lesser intelligence and most women probably do, too. Don't overwork the traps and you'll probably still get laid even as an incredibly ugly swole man.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
The guy on the right is pretty hot

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why is my deadlift so much heavier than my squat? Weak quads?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

notZaar posted:

Why is my deadlift so much heavier than my squat? Weak quads?
How much heavier?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
25% more is pretty normal.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not everyone is tall, good looking and has a good frame. You gotta work with what you got, so if you're some ugly faced dwarves neckbearded goon with tiny wrists, you gotta roll with the punches friend.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
*braid your beard and get an axe.

That's my plan if I ever get too bulky.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Zahgaegun posted:

Your buddy is so lucky to have a vagina on his arm!

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Fallows posted:

That link doesnt go anywhere and im now im curious

Oops I guess they took it down. It was an article about Shawn Oakman, the Baylor football player who is accused of sexual assault. Hes mega jacked (probably steroids) and it was a sponsored "fitness" article about how to get that way.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

all sorts of weird places

That's some spooky scenery for sure

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i lift so i more effectively can dispose of my enemies

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

i lift so i more effectively can dispose of my enemies

Those big macs and cheeseburgers had it coming

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i sustain myself only on various small animals that i hunt with my katana

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Knight posted:

How much heavier?

270 vs 200.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jm20 posted:

Those big macs and cheeseburgers had it coming

beer and burritos stand no chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

PROTEIN

• Locked thread