Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

If you needed proof that this was staged, look at the parking lot. All of the Reliant Robins are on their wheels. At Least ONE of them should be on its side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

90 seconds and I'm already much more interested in Currently Un-Named Tv Show than Top Gear

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
More trouble in paradise.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Since I'm not English, whenever I read the word "Cenotaph" I think of some terrifying Clive Barker monster.

Since the Cenotaph incident, Matt LeBlanc has been trying to fuse 5 worlds together to find the rotting body of God.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That article reads like the normal entertainment gossip dribble. Not too sure how much stock I'd put in it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

1500quidporsche posted:

That article reads like the normal entertainment gossip dribble. Not too sure how much stock I'd put in it.

Judge for yourself...

Basically, I'd liken it to Clarkson coming to Arlington and doing a donut around the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but I don't know how important or hallowed the Cenotaph is for the English.

The production staff is somewhat at fault for not realizing they were going to damage the image of so-called Top Gear by souring their relationship with the talent through poor communication and bumbling incompetence, leading to a black-eye, a round of apologies and possibly getting a host booted from the show.

I notice a pattern here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wasabi the J posted:

Basically, I'd liken it to Clarkson coming to Arlington and doing a donut around the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but I don't know how important or hallowed the Cenotaph is for the English.
It's a non-story, really. It's like saying pulling a massive drift around the Arc De Triomphe would be disrepectful to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Did they actually do doughnuts around the memorial or was it just down the street from it, and the problem was it was there in the background from the angle they were shooting. If that's the case it'd be more like drifting around the circle on Memorial Ave at the end of the Arlington Memorial Bridge, which frankly would be awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They did donuts down the road from it, then drove past it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The dumb Evans/LeBlanc thing just points to how the new team will have poo poo chemistry. I know they're not trying to replicate the other 3 but Evans could have ribbed him harshly or given a tongue-in-cheek statement about him being a clueless American instead of just revealing how petty everything is behind the scenes.

Sabine is great but it's worrying that she'll probably be the most entertaining because she's really not a presenter. I love Harris too but I can already see him do great videos online, so I'm interested to see if he can bring any sort of new energy into the mix or if they'll just make him keep doing what he does already.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Noel Edmonds is one of the men of Top Gear.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Noel Edmonds is one of the men of Top Gear.

Mildly interesting: according to the net, Edmonds is worth more than all 3 of the TG guys combined.

($100M compared to $50M Clarkson, $25M Hamster, $13M May*)

(*From a different source that also places a much lower value on JC+RH, so probably JM is worth $25M)

spog fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2016

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
god, Hammond's goatee looks terrible. Makes him look like he should be wearing an ill-fitting polo shirt and trying to sell me a cell phone charger.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

triple clutcher posted:

god, Hammond's goatee looks terrible. Makes him look like he should be wearing an ill-fitting polo shirt and trying to sell me a cell phone charger.

It is so bad I would say it was designed and dye'd to give them something to pick on him about.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tobu posted:

It is so bad I would say it was designed and dye'd to give them something to pick on him about.

It's probably meant to provide a good contrast to his whitened teeth.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Judge for yourself...

The production staff is somewhat at fault for not realizing they were going to damage the image of so-called Top Gear by souring their relationship with the talent through poor communication and bumbling incompetence, leading to a black-eye, a round of apologies and possibly getting a host booted from the show.

I notice a pattern here.

I dunno, I feel the old group would have just made a joke about him being amerucan and not knowing what a random obelisk sitting in the middle of london was about and then cut ti james saying stuff about ~the war~ and it being won by young men tear assing around. Or you know, say you were a ways down the road filming it and ignore it from then on out. Chris evans seems like a bit of a whiny bitch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elmnt80 posted:

I dunno, I feel the old group would have just made a joke about him being amerucan and not knowing what a random obelisk sitting in the middle of london was about and then cut ti james saying stuff about ~the war~ and it being won by young men tear assing around. Or you know, say you were a ways down the road filming it and ignore it from then on out. Chris evans seems like a bit of a whiny bitch.

Yeah it could have been handled better all around.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

I respectfully disagree: the management would force them to issue an apology for offending grauniad readers; like they've done the past so many times.

I am surprised that they didn't end up apologising for offending the Argies for that numebrplate.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

spog posted:

I respectfully disagree: the management would force them to issue an apology for offending grauniad readers; like they've done the past so many times.

I am surprised that they didn't end up apologising for offending the Argies for that numebrplate.

yeah but they would have apologized sarcastically the same way they always did as opposed to being a giant weepy baby about it like chris evans.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of lovely apologies, Jonny Depp and his lady apologising for smuggling dogs into Australia is particularly great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORpBAIB9j64

"thanks"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm sure this was discussed pages and pages ago, but holy poo poo james mays "the reassembler" is amazing and highlights my longstanding distaste for the british TV practice of "lets take an amazing idea and make 3-5 episodes of it.

I want a "Dragonball Z" level episode list of this TV gold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hopterque posted:

yeah but they would have apologized sarcastically the same way they always did as opposed to being a giant weepy baby about it like chris evans.

Most likely by showing up in person and then "accidentally" doing some more donuts and elevenses, resulting in the crude approximation of the male genitalia.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm sure this was discussed pages and pages ago, but holy poo poo james mays "the reassembler" is amazing and highlights my longstanding distaste for the british TV practice of "lets take an amazing idea and make 3-5 episodes of it.

Go find the Telegraph review of the show and discover the problem with television.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

A man named "Gabrielle" at the Telegraph posted:

The sheer tedium eventually acquired a sort of Zen quality, as the 10 hours-plus it took to put the lawnmower back together began to feel as if they were being shown in real time. I tried to follow what he was talking about but, as a man who struggles to put together a Kinder Surprise toy, had to concede that this was not the show for me, but for men exactly like May. Men who grumble about a “strangler flap” being called a “choke butterfly”.

Do i want to know what a "Kinder Surprise Toy" is?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've never been one to have any desire to meet a celebrity, but James May is the exception to that. He has such a marvelous esoteric collection of knowledge, it would be great fun to pick his brain about obscure subjects for half an hour.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It's a toy that comes inside some chocolate made in Germany.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A small chocolate egg with a plastic capsule in the middle that contains a small toy that usually requires a small amount of assembly.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

which is illegal to sell to the public in the US because americans cant stop and check before shoving something into their gaping maw and choking on the small parts when the explode the plastic capsule inside their mouths...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They were banned in the US in the 90s because American children are idiots.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All children are stupid it's just that the english, smartly, keep their infant mortality rate high.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The suprise is that you have one less child.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MattD1zzl3 posted:

See Ashens YouTube page.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They were banned in the US because it's real chocolate and American chocolate corporations just knew their days were numbered if the populous knew about tasty as gently caress chocolate which came with toys.

I grew up in an era when Kinder toys had masses of tiny parts and you had to assemble them yourselves. I remember a tiny yellow model of a cement mixer quite fondly.

This had a steel wheel at the back and the plastic rip cord span it and off it went over the kitchen floor to disappear underneath a cabinet/fridge never to be seen again.

They also did some cool little cars over the years

spog
Aug 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4kHmbZTvyI

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

They still sell them in Canada and they are delicious. They had a Porsche promotion thing not too long ago and I got a Carrera while reliving my childhood

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/722095496932782080

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh my god, I hope they do an episode of the new show dressed as their 30 year younger selves with wigs, haircuts and all. It would be amazing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mod sassinator posted:

Oh my god, I hope they do an episode of the new show dressed as their 30 year younger selves with wigs, haircuts and all. It would be amazing.

Hamster looks like a stoned cover model for 1980s romance novels, Clarksons white afro is epic and May's bowl cut makes his head look like a two-tone testicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nice to have confirmation Richard has had hair plugs.