Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

widespread posted:

So we can't just run around going Leatherface on dudes? Bummer.

I watched the 18 minute game footage and all I saw was the guy pulling out the chainsaw to do QTEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Kazvall posted:

I watched the 18 minute game footage and all I saw was the guy pulling out the chainsaw to do QTEs.

Apparently the chainsaw utilizes ammo and is used to insta-kill enemies at the cost of said ammo; the beefier the target, the more ammo it costs.

Also any kind of coordination with goons turns this game into a hilarious, one-sided massacre:

the 25:1 Kill-to-Death ratio wasn't even my highest.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

ChickenHeart posted:

Apparently the chainsaw utilizes ammo and is used to insta-kill enemies at the cost of said ammo; the beefier the target, the more ammo it costs.

Also any kind of coordination with goons turns this game into a hilarious, one-sided massacre:

the 25:1 Kill-to-Death ratio wasn't even my highest.

That first game, the 75-15(ish?) tdm, was the grossest poo poo. But yeah, coordinating the powerups is super important, the only times we weren't totally stomping was when the enemy got them first.

edit: I heard some guns are MP only? If the static rifle is MP only I'm gonna be upset it's so good and fun.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 18, 2016

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

ChickenHeart posted:

retard 4 indeed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

elf help book posted:

This game is a throwback fps. Back to the middle of last console generation, when every game had lovely mp no one cared about tacked on.

Yeah I remember that happening to both Wolfenstein 2009 and Bioshock 2, both had half-assed MP modes attached to them that were nothing like the single player experience, which is why I still have hope about Doom 4's single player campaign(and Snap Map)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

the type of person who would go out of there way to rate a game on steam kind of worries me

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

This game loving sucks! What were they thinking?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean it plays by Halo rules not Doom rules, and thus is a lovely Halo knock-off: Only two weapons, the movement pace, all of it. It screams Halo. Maybe Halo's bastard Call of Duty stepchild. Not Doom. Am I wrong?

And yeah I saw the trailer. A lot of awesome "HELL YES!" animations that will become bored apathy when seen for the 100th time (i.e. by level 2)

The really sad thing is that I don't know if its something that really could be avoided. The old Doom gameplay is just too wedded to the Keyboard and Mouse at this point, its hard to replicate with a gamepad IMO, and considering PC focused big budget shooters aren't really a thing anymore...

Unfortunately a very late Halo killer is probably the closest they can get to Doom's old style that also works on the platforms its focused on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

khwarezm posted:

The old Doom gameplay is just too wedded to the Keyboard and Mouse at this point, its hard to replicate with a gamepad IMO
I don't know that I agree with this, seeing as how I've been having a blast playing the Xbox Live ports of Doom 1 and 2 on my Xbox360 without a problem.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Xenomrph posted:

I don't know that I agree with this, seeing as how I've been having a blast playing the Xbox Live ports of Doom 1 and 2 on my Xbox360 without a problem.

I guess I might have been playing to many WADs over the last few years, I barely ever touch the vanilla game anymore.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think that the game was fun but didn't really astound me. I don't know why you can be a purple colored marine in a doom game. It really just made me want to play the unreal remake beta. I really really hate scripted execution type moves as they always seem cheap. Why script an execution move when that should be happening organically through shooting someone in the head with a shotgun and watching them explode.

The main thing is the mp seemed ok yet there isn't any reason to play an ok fps. I'd rather just play csgo or insurgency

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i tried to play the demo but all it did was give me an error message

goty

also i'm not sure what the multiplayer would provide that i don't already get better elsewhere. if i want fast gameplay, i'll play tribes: ascend. if i want to goof off i can just play tf2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Haha, when did this happen.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Steeltalon posted:

I put in 6 or 7 hours of Doom MP Beta. I really wanted to like it. I tried so hard to like it, but here's what I got out of it.

The first hour it was fun. Hey you haven't played a Doom game in forever, right. Unfortunately it gets less fun the longer you play. So.. What's weird with Doom? Well, lets go through the list.

First thing is the obvious load outs. You can pick any two weapons you want, and one grenade (out of 3 types). They give you 3 starting load outs, which are permanent and 3 more custom ones. The first 3 are pointless after about 20 minutes--no one will ever use them again. This is straight up retarded, All 6 load out positions should allow customization. It should just unlock slots. Yeah, I said unlock because there are level based unlocks in this game. You get your last weapon unlock at level 9.. which takes less than 20 minutes to achieve. Everything else for unlocks are customization things for your armor and weapons. Things like colors, patterns, taunts-stuff like that.

There are things that are frustrating. The demon runes, and the only weapon pickup the Gauss Rifle. The Demon runes It gets old really fast. Mainly because it's a no skill, one-shot kills pick up that serve basically to level the skill gap. The Gauss Rifle is also a low skill pickup. It's a one-shot kill 3 or 4 shot weapon. The crosshair is a huge rectangle with an X in the middle. If anyone is in that rectangle they get one-shot. I don't think it's even possible to miss with this thing.

The soundscape boils down to being just a terrible mix of positioning and volumes. It's ridiculously hard to hear footsteps, and anything behind you is incredibly low volume. Most of the time you don't even realize you're being damaged until you're almost dead. They give you a tiny little arrow that points to the direction you're being damaged but it's not hardly any help.

Movement is fast. That's something that I just don't see coming from the criticisms of this game. It's plenty fast, but there are issues here. You cant change directions in mid-air, and it's extremely weird feeling for this type of so called old school shooter. Once you commit to a jump that's the direction you're stuck going until you land. Seems reasonable, right? Well remember that double jump they added in? If you jump in a direction, move your view to the left, and hit space to double jump, you would expect to change direction to the way you're facing? Nope, you'll just double jump the direction you're already traveling. What? Okay, next are explosions. In previous Doom or Quake titles explosions would move or bounce back your character model from the point of an explosion. Which is something the Doom or even Quake has previously always had. This is now gone. Explosions have no effect on your character movement. This means rocket jumping is gone.

Hack mods: Why are these even a thing? Hack mods are power-ups that you earn by playing the game and are rewarded at the end of a match. They are activated when you respawn and last a limited amount of time. They just seem so uninspired, and meaningless. Almost as if it was just an afterthought that came up in a meeting when they decided there wasn't enough content. One of them lets you see the last guy you kills you through walls. Another lets you see the time left on power-ups before they respawn. There's one gives you a really lovely automatic armor bonus that you would probably just find anyway immediately after respawning. There's a few more types but they're also pretty unspectacular.

Glory kills are a major feature, that's been heavily showcased and marketed. They look cool I guess, but let's dig right in to the meat of the problem with melee in Doom. The reach is insane. It's got to be the longest melee range I've seen in any game, ever. A Glory kill is a special animation that activates when you kill someone with a melee hit. Melee does 30 damage which is pretty generous. They are extremely lenient on range and crosshair placement to melee. So much that if they are in melee range, and anywhere on your screen you can just hit F to kill them. They make it even easier for you by making them glow gold to tell you that you can just press F to Kill. It should literally just say "Press F to KILL"

What's good about this game? Well maybe the singleplayer will be good. But we haven't seen anything substantial.

TLDR; I have more fun in SW:Battlefront than Doom.

This is a good post from someone with a good avatar about a good film. He even picked a great line from that film to be his caption. These are the words I couldn't be bothered writing myself.

Time to go and check out SW: Battlefront.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Tony Montana posted:

Time to go and check out SW: Battlefront.

dont be fooled

its loving terrible. it came for free with my playstation 4 and I wish it didnt

Also believe it or not there are people who like Doom and I am one of those people. I had la ot of fun with the open beta I could be screaming and launching rockets for days but now its over and what is left? no more doom battleborn or overwatch and there are no good games until May 24th when Overwatch comes out although I am excited for the single player of Doom I dont care for the multiplayer really so whatever TDM is stupid and is bads unless you are in a clan no one is any good anyways its all subjective my friend told me the other day "thats all well and good that you got a keyboard and mouse for your console but a gamepad is for gaming, a keyboard and mouse is for word processing" I deleted him after 10 years of being "best friends" gently caress you man no one talks poo poo about computer gaming in my house he wasnt even at my house but Doom was a lot of fun while playing the beta. I don't know maybe you played more since you said you put 15 hours in guy from earlier post but you probably aren't a real Doom fan do yo even have a Doom tattoo on your dork? Unless your penis says "Knee deep in the dead' its hard to consider you a fan

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Haha, when did this happen.

drat

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I hate Bethesda but love Doom so it will be good.

just have faith my little niggas

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
holy gently caress Battlefront must be amazing.

Whatever the direct opposite of your gaystation 4 and spergpost thinks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

holy gently caress Battlefront must be amazing.

Whatever the direct opposite of your gaystation 4 and spergpost thinks

It's not terrible, but it's an incredibly flawed game that diverges way too much from the original two Battlefront games(way too much CoD, not enough Battlefield in the mix)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

It's not terrible, but it's an incredibly flawed game that diverges way too much from the original two Battlefront games(way too much CoD, not enough Battlefield in the mix)

So many people are saying "it's like COD" about Doom in this thread that putting that charge against Battlefront is almost meaningless without context.

Is it like COD just because there's loadouts? Because I can sort of more accept loadouts in a Star Wars game (there's like six different Imperial trooper suits in the original trilogy alone) than I can a sequel to the game where everybody spawned with a pistol every time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4
I didn't know you were a Pokemon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

So many people are saying "it's like COD" about Doom in this thread that putting that charge against Battlefront is almost meaningless without context.

Is it like COD just because there's loadouts? Because I can sort of more accept loadouts in a Star Wars game (there's like six different Imperial trooper suits in the original trilogy alone) than I can a sequel to the game where everybody spawned with a pistol every time.

Mostly cause it focuses too much on infantry combat and barely any on vehicle combat, when the first two were pretty much just simpler Battlefield games with a couple interesting twists(which is a lot more appealing than what Battlefront 2015 turned out to be)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Doom is fun, and the mechanics of the multiplayer really give me hope for the single player. The fact there is no sprinting and you just run fast all the time is important because that lack of "realism" is a pretty goddamn big indicator of how they approached the game. The health/ammo/armor pickups instead of recharging health is big too, especially in the wake of Wolfenstein The New Order. I feel this is made by people who loved the original Doom games and are trying to make something inspired by them instead of "re-imagining" Doom like with Doom 3. I do not think there will be extended sequences with little to no enemies, or half assed jump scares, or a stupid flashlight.

Yeah it could still suck, the multiplayer may not get tweaked and improved, and the single player might be too short and samey. But my takeaway from the beta is that I'm optimistic for the final product. The sound design is definitely a big weak point, but that can be somewhat fixed/improved. Weapon balance can be fixed as well for MP. poo poo that cannot be changed, like the level and gun design and poo poo looks good to me, and I'm happy with the initial examples.

I mean yeah they might totally gently caress it up and poo poo, I would not be horribly surprised, but I feel like I'm not sure what people want out of this, based on some of the complaints.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

I guess I might have been playing to many WADs over the last few years, I barely ever touch the vanilla game anymore.

You have to remember that the original IWADs were built around the idea that they'd be enjoyable and beatable on a number of different control formats - from keyboard only, to those gameport gamepads that only a d-pad and 2 buttons, to flight sim type sticks, to mouse and keyboard but only horizontal aiming. It makes them more amenable to different control schemes then WADs designed 20 years on for people who are top-tier players on mouse and keyboard with complete freelook.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The fact there is no sprinting and you just run fast all the time
I must have been playing a different game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pisshead posted:

I must have been playing a different game.

yes it is slower then unreal tournament, however it is orders of magnitude faster than anything but blops 3 in terms of modern shooters. and not having a sprinting animation that pulls your gun down is a pretty big deal in 2016 where that is just standard.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Reverand maynard posted:

I think that the game was fun but didn't really astound me. I don't know why you can be a purple colored marine in a doom game. It really just made me want to play the unreal remake beta. I really really hate scripted execution type moves as they always seem cheap. Why script an execution move when that should be happening organically through shooting someone in the head with a shotgun and watching them explode.

The main thing is the mp seemed ok yet there isn't any reason to play an ok fps. I'd rather just play csgo or insurgency

Colors other than black, red, orange and grey. Game failed.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided that Doom's new MP is fun and good. Loadouts are fine, we still have important map pickups.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Agoat posted:

I've decided that Doom's new MP is fun and good. Loadouts are fine, we still have important map pickups.

I just wish the rocket launcher wasn't part of them. if it was up to me, I'd like it if there was something like 2 tiers of weapon pickups. Let people start with loadout stuff like a chaingun and the single barrel shotgun, pistol, chainsaw etc. Those can have the same feel as the weapons stand now.

Then have tier 1 of weapon pick ups be the rocket launcher, double barrel, plasma, rail gun. They wouldn't be difficult to grab but still limited in a way resembling old arena games. And they can kill people quicker than the weapons stand at the moment. Then let demons and big big weapons be the same as they are.

So when the game starts you're in babby's first COD and as it progresses and people get weapons it speeds up and becomes more Q3A-ish.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Rand Paul posted:

This game loving sucks! What were they thinking?

All those dollar signs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agoat posted:

yeah the armor and then the two bad friendly ezmode instant kill picks ups

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pomp posted:

yeah the armor and then the two bad friendly ezmode instant kill picks ups

And Haste, Quad Damage, and anything else that wasn't in the beta.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Agoat posted:

Watched some footage and looks fun. But then again, I don't buy DOOM for multiplayer.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
As decent as this game is, I don't really see why you wouldn't just play UT4 instead.

That game is great and I'm playing it more and more now. One of the great things about arena FPS games is that they haven't fallen prey to the modern take on teamwork in multi-player games; where you can't really do anything unless you have a team of people helping you. Arena FPS and fighting games are great because your own skills will take you very far indeed (but you can also play some nice teamwork-mode if you don't feel like deathmatch).

It helps that it looks really nice. You can take a random screenshot of the finished maps and be impressed.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Of course no one is buying DOOM for the multiplayer. You can hop on zandronum and have a much better multiplayer experience.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just wish the rocket launcher wasn't part of them. if it was up to me, I'd like it if there was something like 2 tiers of weapon pickups. Let people start with loadout stuff like a chaingun and the single barrel shotgun, pistol, chainsaw etc. Those can have the same feel as the weapons stand now.

Then have tier 1 of weapon pick ups be the rocket launcher, double barrel, plasma, rail gun. They wouldn't be difficult to grab but still limited in a way resembling old arena games. And they can kill people quicker than the weapons stand at the moment. Then let demons and big big weapons be the same as they are.

So when the game starts you're in babby's first COD and as it progresses and people get weapons it speeds up and becomes more Q3A-ish.

Sounds like Halo. I'd be up for it but even in it's current state I'm having fun. The rockets are too much fun to use and I'd love them to stay one as one of the primary weapons.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

As decent as this game is, I don't really see why you wouldn't just play UT4 instead.

That game is great and I'm playing it more and more now. One of the great things about arena FPS games is that they haven't fallen prey to the modern take on teamwork in multi-player games; where you can't really do anything unless you have a team of people helping you. Arena FPS and fighting games are great because your own skills will take you very far indeed (but you can also play some nice teamwork-mode if you don't feel like deathmatch).

It helps that it looks really nice. You can take a random screenshot of the finished maps and be impressed.

This is, unfortunately, the real answer. It's really good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Even the horribly racist asshat creator of brutal doom knows you shouldn't be able to TKO/QTE every monster you come across. And he has cool poo poo like ripping arms off to use as weapons, at least. Then, all I can think when watching these gameplay videos is how slow and plodding all the monsters are, how they have terrible aim, and waste time doing poo poo like taunting/yelling at you when you're right next to them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Then when you do kill them they explode with ammo/health pickups for guns that the monster isn't even using? But, if that's not easy enough we're gonna slowpause the game for you while you switch weapons, console peasant.

And not to mention it looks like monsters just leave you alone while you're performing a scripted kill?

(Ah sorry, there I go again making GBS threads on something that looks so promising)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I have no comment on Single Player until I try it out but I'm hopeful. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Classic Doom" option (or even a mod later on) that brought the game in line with older titles.

Also, if you guys haven't played it Doom 64 is really cool and worth playing. There's a PC mod port you can get for free if you have Doom 2 as well.