Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
While you guys were reminiscing, I was out playing a good game. Today, a noble force of Elves took on an allied force of Kingdoms of Men and Dwarfs. My opponent had the clever idea to use some of his extra large trolls to fill in for some units to add to the flavor of his army. His ballista is represented by a single rock throwing troll and his Beast of War is proxied with two trolls in a line hurling rocks.

Check these guys out.

Like in the last game I played, we rolled Loot on the scenario chart. My opponent had never played it before which gave me a slight advantage. On my right, he deployed an elite horde of human knights and he supported them with his Troll "ballista". The rest of his army was bunched up in the center and center left with a small unit of horse archers far to the outside. I deployed my Dragon Lord and Forest Shamblers on my left, placed my two units of Palace Guard in my center with a unit of archers to their right, and my far right flank was made up of my horde of Sea Guard, a mounted mage, and a lone troop of spears.

Each army had a single Vanguard move and unsurprisingly the Dwarf Rangers and the Forest Shamblers made a run for the Loot, marked appropriately as barrels of ale.

Not much happened on the first turn. His Rangers stayed put and fired their crossbows but failed to do any damage to the Forest Shamblers. His horse archers couldn't scratch the dragon. All of his monsters and war machines missed their shots. He also made the decision to hold back his knights assuming that I would make a run for the Loot and he could charge and snatch it from me. Instead, I inched my troop of spears forward to guard the mage and let loose with arrows and lightning on the Troll Ballista, wavering it. My dragon couldn't get into the fight on the first turn, but the Shamblers crashed into the Rangers and did a bit of damage, though the unit proved to be incredibly resilient. In the center, I rushed the Palace Guard forward. At least with two units, if one got destroyed by his Flame Belcher the other would still be able to get a charge in.

On the second turn, the Disordered Rangers counter-charged the Forest Shamblers and the mounted archers joined in for the heck of it assuming they'd be eaten by a dragon on my turn. The Flame Belcher did a bit of damage to one of the units of Palace Guard, but not enough to matter at that point. Everything else missed and when the dust settled the Shamblers were still hanging on. Naturally, they counter-charged back into the Dwarfs with the hope that they'd waver. This did not work out. The dragon ignored the archers and charged into some human infantry instead but failed to do much. One unit of Palace Guard was able to charge the spears being guarded by the Flame Belcher, but there just wasn't space to charge with the second. On my right flank, the firing line focused on the horde of knights and the spears continued their slow march forward into certain doom.

Why didn't I finish off the ballista? My opponent had forgotten that you can't charge through friendly units. He'd either have to move it, so it wouldn't be able to shoot, or he wouldn't be able to charge with the knights. Though he wanted to charge the troop of spears, he chose instead just to advance the knights forward, leaving the Troll Ballista where it had been and blocking it from shooting. A true blunder in my opinion.

The archers spun about to deal with the dragon if it should get through the infantry and the Rangers continued to trade blows with the Shamblers. His spears did a bit of damage to one unit of Palace Guard and his Flame Belcher continued to cook the other. His Trolls of War turned their attention towards the dragon to avoid being flanked by a flying charge. The dragon charged the Trolls of War anyway and came close to breaking them, but they held firm. The Palace Guard routed the spears while their brothers in arms grabbed a Loot token. The spears inched out of the front arc of the knights on the right flank and the firing line continued to plug away at it.

The fourth turn went poorly for the elves. The Palace Guard were set up nicely to flank the Trolls of War, but a wizard worked with the Flame Belcher to cook them alive. The Trolls of War counter charged the dragon and very nearly killed it, but Inspring came through and he was fine. Some human Berserkers changed facings to prepare to rear charge the dragon. The human infantry with the Dwarf Rangers did in the Forest Shamblers at last and the horse archers grabbed the second Loot token. The knights finally charged, choosing to run down the regiment of archers rather than losing their Thunder Charge against a phalanx of Sea Guard. The archers were shattered and the knights adjusted their position to face the Palace Guard believing them to be the bigger threat than the Sea Guard in their flank. But the Elves weren't ready to call it a day just then. The dragon, disordered and surrounded saw an unbelievable opportunity. The knights had left just enough space between the church and their flank for it to land and line of sight was just right to pull it off. The remaining unit of Palace Guard charged the knights as well and the Sea Guard flanked them for good measure, grabbing the last remaining Loot token along the way. After the dragon's 20 attacks scored 18 points of damage, we opted to roll Nerve rather than rolling 50 attacks for the Sea Guard. The knights were vanquished. The dragon and Palace Guard advanced just enough to take them out of the range of the Flame Belcher and the Sea Guard changed facings to prepare to escape with the Loot.

For the last two turns, it was just a question of outpacing the Dwarfs and humans to the edge of the board. The Sea Guard escaped with their counter and the Palace Guard were simply too far away. Meanwhile, the dragon was busy regenerating all of the damage it had taken and the mage was throwing healing spells on the Palace Guard. The humans repositioned themselves in case there was another turn, but the die came up a 1 and the game ended in a solid victory for the Elves, escaping with multiple barrels of Bugman's brew.

Here's the full album:
http://imgur.com/a/qatIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

god help me I have a genuine AoS lore question:

What the gently caress happened to the Old Gods and all their plans and where do they fit in?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

nopantsjack posted:

god help me I have a genuine AoS lore question:

What the gently caress happened to the Old Gods and all their plans and where do they fit in?

the old ones or the pantheon of the warhammer world (ex. empire, dwarf ancestors, etc)?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Business Gorillas posted:

the old ones or the pantheon of the warhammer world (ex. empire, dwarf ancestors, etc)?

the old ones, the chaps and chapettes who created the lizardmen, sorry, saurofems, and everyone else

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

the old ones, the chaps and chapettes who created the lizardmen, sorry, saurofems, and everyone else

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Weird, I don't remember any models like that. Everything in the fluff needs a model, and you'd think something like that would be memorable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm still morbidly interested in the ongoing story of Age of Sigmar. And, God help me, the interest was slightly increased when I found out that Vandus Hammerhand and his dudes, the generic stars of the first AoS stories, were killed, possibly permanently, by Archaon in the Balance of Power book.

Anyone have a good summary of what happens in Godbeasts?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone have a good summary of what happens in Godbeasts?
Archaon goes up to some really big dudes and convinces them to help him kill the Sigmar. Then they all try to kill the Sigmar? There may be some sort of setback like fighting Sigmar-men or whatever. Who knows? Who cares? No one has read this bullshit.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Safety Factor posted:

No one has read this bullshit.

Not even the people who wrote it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What is the premise of the godbeasts "battletome" is it more chinese dragonball dragons

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
No godbeasts, no masterbeasts.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Avenging Dentist posted:

No godbeasts, no masterbeasts.

Only men faceless automata.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What is the premise of the godbeasts "battletome" is it more chinese dragonball dragons

It appears to be a set up for gigantic 40k knight sized models, though it doesn't have rules for them yet only introducing them into the fluff. Also the godbeasts are all unaligned so if/when they do release the mini's they'll be usable with whatever army.

The main godbeast in the tomb is called a "titan" just so it's easy for the 40k players to understand.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

So if GW made AoS to get the 40k crowd (or people who want something close to 40k, at least), why wouldn't they just drop fantasy entirely and focus solely on 40k? They'd be able to do twice as much stuff and might actually get people excited by fleshing out some of the corners of the 40k universe that fans want to see (e.g. Exodite Eldar). Do they expect 40k players to buy into a second game system with a big required investment?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

So if GW made AoS to get the 40k crowd (or people who want something close to 40k, at least), why wouldn't they just drop fantasy entirely and focus solely on 40k? They'd be able to do twice as much stuff and might actually get people excited by fleshing out some of the corners of the 40k universe that fans want to see (e.g. Exodite Eldar). Do they expect 40k players to buy into a second game system with a big required investment?

because AoS is entirely the golden child of the new CEO and, considering GW's corporate culture, i'm sure that they genuinely thought that AoS would be a massive hit

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Finally GW is willing to cater to our needs to buy huge foot tall plastic models even bigger then anything else we have. Thanks GW!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

because AoS is entirely the golden child of the new CEO and, considering GW's corporate culture, i'm sure that they genuinely thought that AoS would be a massive hit

If this were 1990, I could buy that, but why would they intentionally split their customer base? I know GW doesn't do market research, but all you need to do is look at how disastrous AD&D 2e's glut of campaigns was. Warhammer's main benefit as a game is the network effect, and for GW themselves to undermine that is the pinnacle of stupidity.

This isn't really news or anything. It's just that every time I think I've fully plumbed the depths of GW's incompetence, I realize something new that they hosed up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

If this were 1990, I could buy that, but why would they intentionally split their customer base? I know GW doesn't do market research, but all you need to do is look at how disastrous AD&D 2e's glut of campaigns was. Warhammer's main benefit as a game is the network effect, and for GW themselves to undermine that is the pinnacle of stupidity.

This isn't really news or anything. It's just that every time I think I've fully plumbed the depths of GW's incompetence, I realize something new that they hosed up.

They literally know nothing about the market. Remember, they think RPGs and Pokemon were passing fads that are over now. Like, it can't be emphasized enough that they remain willfully ignorant of literally everything other than what they themselves are doing, and even then....

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Well I mean, dropping fantasy entirely meant a ton of molds going into storage but instead they're still using a lot of molds just reboxing with round bases.

Plus WHFB was #3 in indy sales last year, iirc, so they probably were more hoping to 40k-ify fantasy than AoSify 40k.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got a message from a friend earlier today. It said something along the lines of "I'm signing up for an Age of Sigmar escalation league over the summer. I've read up on the game and watched some battle reports and it seems kind of fun."

:unsmigghh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=168717

The first 5 images are concept art for new Tomb Kings minis

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Pretty keen for empire of dust, kind of wish they went with another ancient civilization for ideas instead of Egypt but that's cool.

The corporation troopers look OK but mantic for some reason still can't get human torso and legs to look like they are in proportion with each other.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Big Willy Style posted:

Pretty keen for empire of dust, kind of wish they went with another ancient civilization for ideas instead of Egypt but that's cool.

The corporation troopers look OK but mantic for some reason still can't get human torso and legs to look like they are in proportion with each other.

What's wrong with them? If it's the lower legs, someone already pointed out that the kneepads on combat fatigues actually sit below the knees when standing, so that the right part of the knee is protected when kneeling. Gives the impression the lower legs are too stubby, but it's an optical illusion.

Empire of Dust stuff looks like a mix of themed upgrade kits (Skellington Warriors, Revenants, Catapult) and outright new minis (Heroes, Enslaved Guardians)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

It appears to be a set up for gigantic 40k knight sized models, though it doesn't have rules for them yet only introducing them into the fluff. Also the godbeasts are all unaligned so if/when they do release the mini's they'll be usable with whatever army.

The main godbeast in the tomb is called a "titan" just so it's easy for the 40k players to understand.

Is the giant TK scarab in there?

e. I'm glad Mantic is picking up the slack on making bits for Thousand Sons!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 18, 2016

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

NTRabbit posted:

What's wrong with them? If it's the lower legs, someone already pointed out that the kneepads on combat fatigues actually sit below the knees when standing, so that the right part of the knee is protected when kneeling. Gives the impression the lower legs are too stubby, but it's an optical illusion.

Empire of Dust stuff looks like a mix of themed upgrade kits (Skellington Warriors, Revenants, Catapult) and outright new minis (Heroes, Enslaved Guardians)

I remember that discussion but that's not my issue (it does look awkward even if it's correct) but they always sculpt the legs too small compared to the torso. Also the way they are posed makes them look like they walk around like someone from a ps2 era fps.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Destruction release incoming

quote:

- Maw-Krusha (1 model) 90€ / £65 / $110
>Comes with either a Megaboss or Gordrakk the Fist of Gork on top. Apparently the Krusha itself has two heads options. Few aesthetic differences overall.

- Gore-Gruntas (3 models) 67€ / £48 / $79
Huge Boar riders. They are... different? You have to see them for yourselves but I fear they will not be that well received. It appears that those are not 3 different models, but two, one of them being repeated twice. No weapons options and they really all look similar.

- Brutes (5 models) 42€ / £30 / $50
>Heavier than Black Orcs, can be built with either two weapons or a two handed one.

- Megaboss 34€ / £24 / $40

- Weirdnob Shaman 28€ / £20 / $33

- Warchanter 26€ / £18.5 / $30

- Ardboys (15 models) 45€ / £32 / $53
>Repackaged Black Orcs with round bases.

- Battletome Ironjawz (128p) 28€ / £20 / $33
>14 Warscrolls and Battalions

- Grand Alliance Destruction (112p) 14€ / £10 / $16.5
>12 factions, 61 Warscrolls, minus at least 7 for the Ironjaws that's 54 remaining for the old range, place your bets.

via Archibald_TK@whinseer

quote:

Additional info:
Before we go you must understand that these models are large, really large. And I mean that they appear to dwarf any other orc models. The Maw Krusha is more massive than the Magmadroth (if I remember the name right), Megaboss is huge... in parallel, this is a very very costly release, even by AoS standard. So don't be surprised by what follows.
I shall add that when I said they appear to dwarf other orcs models I don't mean they are Ogre sized, but that they will stand a head above regular Orcs, far more for the Megaboss.

edit: more stuff

Yellow was such a bad choice

Pawl fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 18, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

because AoS is entirely the golden child of the new CEO

Just out of curiosity, is there really any truth or proof of this, or is it just an attractive theory that happens to fit the facts? (I do love me a mental image of some corporate suit meddling in poo poo that he has no business in)

NTRabbit posted:

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=168717

The first 5 images are concept art for new Tomb Kings minis

Those Enslaved Guardians are Stargate as gently caress.

That Space Wolves color scheme looks real bad on those Enforcers though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think there's any truth to it. The End Times started planning in 2012, long before Roundtree was even considered for CEO.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Some of those models are actually good but not with that colour scheme or that price.

gently caress knows what drugs the sculptor was on when he made those boars though, jesus christ. Are they meant to be related to squigs now?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Pawl posted:

Yellow was such a bad choice

Agreedo

These boar riders are definitely a step down from the old ones. Like alot of AoS minis, they have no appreciable line of action :/

I like the grumpy wyvern tho. Need to see him from some different angles.

the rest, well who cares

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Pawl posted:

[timg]

Oh man, this lil orruk is helping his megaboss maneuver his wyvern into the takeoff lane.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thirsty Dog posted:

Some of those models are actually good but not with that colour scheme or that price.

gently caress knows what drugs the sculptor was on when he made those boars though, jesus christ. Are they meant to be related to squigs now?

You know these are Mantic models and that's a blog post about Kings of War, right?

Nevermind I'm a big dumb!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think there's any truth to it. The End Times started planning in 2012, long before Roundtree was even considered for CEO.

quote:

K D Rountree (age 45), CEO. Kevin Rountree joined Games Workshop in March 1998 as assistant group accountant. He then had various management roles within Games Workshop, including head of sales for the Other Activities division (including Black Library, licensing and Sabertooth Games). Kevin was appointed CFO in October 2008. During the year ended 29 May 2011, he took on the responsibility of managing the Group’s service centres globally. To reflect this, his title was changed to chief operating officer from chief financial officer. He became chief executive on 1 January 2015.

He was an acolyte of Tom Kirby, and I don't think it's a wild suggestion to believe that Kirby had been grooming him to be his replacement long before he was officially "considered". Seems pretty reasonable to suggest that Rowntree instigated this project when he was made COO, intending it to be his centrepiece once his inevitable promotion to CEO came.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Even the loving orcs have topknots now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Assistant group accountant is basically an entry-level position, right?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I might be an O&G fanboy but these are the first releases that I don't think look objectively bad. At least it's the best stuff coing out of AoS. But the asking price makes it a non-starter, there's no way I would consider them at even 50% of those prices.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

That's been a thing for a long, long time.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Dragon thing is halfway decent. Those boar things are beyond retarded and you know they just couldnt be boars since they can't trademark those.

So I actually looked at the dwarf stuff for a game at the GW and lmao holy poo poo. I already know just by looking at the armylist that I'm already immediately outclassed by a single 14 wound dragon rider and, because there's no points, I'm sure I'll see one the first day of their league*

It's like rekindling an old love and that love is hating AoS

* - I was also pretty much told I can't play in the AoS league because everyone else is buying a whole army to play in it and I just wanna play with the stuff I already have

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Thats not a new thing, Orcs/Orks have had topknots for ages. Basically the only people who don't get topknots are skeletons and lizardmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

lilljonas posted:

At least it's the best stuff coing out of AoS.

That's pretty much what its come to now. It's the OrcsOrruks vs static Sigmarines, Gorebloodaxeslaughter Khorne Murderers and symmetrical naked Dwarves.

• Locked thread