Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shishells
May 25, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I'm having trouble with Chadarnook; it feels significantly harder than Leblanc or Belias did. Only put a few tries in so far with only one setup (that I'm beginning to suspect isn't ideal; it lacks any elemental weaknesses for Vivi to exploit so he's not contributing nearly as much as he normally does, among other things), but I think this is going to be the first ultimate I've made it to that I have real difficulty with.

Chadarnook is much easier with elemental weaknesses I think. I also had a vivi on my cloud/tyro/ramza/yuna team, and he just wasn't helping at all. Changed him out for greg with decent gear, not a lot of RS, but just used banishing strike and it made a lot of difference. And that's without an r2 saint's as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shifood posted:

Chadarnook is much easier with elemental weaknesses I think. I also had a vivi on my cloud/tyro/ramza/yuna team, and he just wasn't helping at all. Changed him out for greg with decent gear, not a lot of RS, but just used banishing strike and it made a lot of difference. And that's without an r2 saint's as well.

Oh yeah, I have Beatrix with both Banishing Strike and Saint Cross (though the latter is still R1; I wasn't able to farm up enough holy orbs during that daily unfortunately), but besides her my only Holy damage is Eiko with Dia, which I only have to get rid of its physical immunity. I've been thinking of bringing Gil in as well really, though not as a Holy spammer but for Tauntaliate; it's liked to spam its four hit physical attack at me, so nullifying that and dealing extra damage to it instead seems decent.

Beyond that, though, I'm not really sure how to go; I have yet to do a "good" run without something like mistiming my attempts to knock it out of goddess mode, but at the moment it's feeling like I don't have enough power to kill it. I might need to make more abilities or something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Do you have Alexander? He packs a punch, particularly with the summon buff.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 18, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Roland Jones posted:

I'm having trouble with Chadarnook; it feels significantly harder than Leblanc or Belias did. Only put a few tries in so far with only one setup (that I'm beginning to suspect isn't ideal; it lacks any elemental weaknesses for Vivi to exploit so he's not contributing nearly as much as he normally does, among other things), but I think this is going to be the first ultimate I've made it to that I have real difficulty with.

Chardanook has, or should have, a fire weakness. Vivi should be cleaning the hell up.

Remember to focus almost entirely on magic defense, just about all the damage in the fight is magical. That four-hit attack can be obnoxious, but the real power comes from the lightning damage. What's your squad at the moment, out of curiosity? Beatrix, Eiko, Vivi?... a IX-themed squad? I would definitely cook up a Diaga for Eiko, it can do work.

For my part I managed to chump Chardanook, but then I have enough 6*++es (Crystal Helm! Crown! Red Jacket! Gravity Rod!) and 5*s in VI to kit out a full team of 80s with synergy gear, so it was kind of a slaughter.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Is anyone else having trouble playing after recent updates? All of a sudden my game is giving me error codes all over the place. I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't suck up my stamina everytime it errors at the beginning or mid-battle and tossed me back out of combat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RagnarokAngel posted:

Do you have Alexander? He packs a punch, particularly with the summon buff.

I decided against making Alexander when I considered him during the FFT event, since I managed to beat and eventually Master Belias without it. It would probably be quite helpful here, though; I'd have to delay honing Saint Cross further, but beating the ultimate is probably worth it. Could also make Armor Strike or something for Beatrix and give Banishing Strike to someone else so I have multiple people punching with Holy. I'll have to see what orbs I have and what I can make/hone with them.

What does the accessory increase, anyway? Is it another Mind one or is it Magic this time? I could use a +30 Magic accessory, as I don't have one yet, but I'm not really sure what I'd do with two +30 Mind ones. Outside of the White Mage Nightmare, I suppose.

SpaceDrake posted:

Chardanook has, or should have, a fire weakness. Vivi should be cleaning the hell up.

Remember to focus almost entirely on magic defense, just about all the damage in the fight is magical. That four-hit attack can be obnoxious, but the real power comes from the lightning damage. What's your squad at the moment, out of curiosity? Beatrix, Eiko, Vivi?... a IX-themed squad? I would definitely cook up a Diaga for Eiko, it can do work.

For my part I managed to chump Chardanook, but then I have enough 6*++es (Crystal Helm! Crown! Red Jacket! Gravity Rod!) and 5*s in VI to kit out a full team of 80s with synergy gear, so it was kind of a slaughter.

Chadarnook is only weak to fire as a goddess in the Ultimate; in demon form, it loses the weakness, but can take damage from it. It absorbs non-Holy/Fire magic, though. (Well, non-elemental magic also works, of course, but, yeah.)

And yeah, my squad is heavily IX-based, though that's actually due to draws; Eiko has my only non-Celebration Grimoire Medica, and Zidane got his SSB as well, back during the Lucky Draws. Beatrix and Vivi meanwhile are just my two favorite characters from that game, but fortunately they're both pretty good.

But yeah, at the moment it's Beatrix, Vivi, Eiko, Zidane, and Tyro. Eiko and Zidane have their SSBs, Tyro has SG and Magic Breakdown, and Beatrix and Vivi just have a lot of firepower. I have Gilgamesh with his first cap broken but not his second in the wings, too, plus Cloud, Yuna (who has her SSB but I haven't bothered to really level her), Garnet (who sadly lacks her SSB but has both caps broken since I got her MCs), Freya, and a few others.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 18, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

SpaceDrake posted:

I think Chadarnook* is weak to fire in the sense that he doesn't absorb it like he does most elements, but it only does normal damage.

*I feel like everybody has a different way to misspell this name

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

What does the accessory increase, anyway? Is it another Mind one or is it Magic this time? I could use a +30 Magic accessory, as I don't have one yet, but I'm not really sure what I'd do with two +30 Mind ones. Outside of the White Mage Nightmare, I suppose.

It's major KO Resistance.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Broke my first level cap with Ramza just now, wooo. His RM doesn't seem particularly useful but it's still nice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's major KO Resistance.

Oh, really? That's massively disappointing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, really? That's massively disappointing.

It's actually a 99% reduction in accuracy, and (I believe) resists Gravity attacks for some reason. If you're worried about Graviga/Gravija, it's nice to have.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
It has its uses. Doesn't it also affect gravity attacks?

e:f;b

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niton posted:

It's actually a 99% reduction in accuracy, and (I believe) resists Gravity attacks for some reason. If you're worried about Graviga/Gravija, it's nice to have.

Ah. Well, that seems situationally useful, then. Still not as exciting (to me, given my relative lack of 5* accessories still), but that's better than I thought at least.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, I have Beatrix with both Banishing Strike and Saint Cross (though the latter is still R1; I wasn't able to farm up enough holy orbs during that daily unfortunately), but besides her my only Holy damage is Eiko with Dia, which I only have to get rid of its physical immunity. I've been thinking of bringing Gil in as well really, though not as a Holy spammer but for Tauntaliate; it's liked to spam its four hit physical attack at me, so nullifying that and dealing extra damage to it instead seems decent.

So until its third turn, all the goddess form does is normal attacks, and it does not react to counters from retaliate. So theoretically you could milk the Goddess form for damage by just having people attack Gilgamesh for two turns for retaliates, saving ability uses for the Demon form. Obviously you'd want to hit her with a holy attack before she gets her third turn and confuses or sleeps your whole team.

Still, that's slow and I guess risks having your mitigation run out, but it is a way to do some damage without burning all your ability uses. Actually, have you tried Advantaliate for this fight? As long as you have a holy magic ability to change forms and remove the physical immunity, it seems like it would work alright.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IMO, the resistance accessories are vastly better than the +30 stat accessories. You can't get moderate or major resistance any way other than accessories, and in the grand scheme of things 30 attack/magic are not nearly as big a deal as being nearly immune to statuses or heavily resistant to elements.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zurai posted:

IMO, the resistance accessories are vastly better than the +30 stat accessories. You can't get moderate or major resistance any way other than accessories, and in the grand scheme of things 30 attack/magic are not nearly as big a deal as being nearly immune to statuses or heavily resistant to elements.

The problem with those accessories I see is that you're limited only to bosses who use those particular statuses and have to hope the boss aims at the person with that accessory. Whereas 30 attack works every time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem with those accessories I see is that you're limited only to bosses who use those particular statuses and have to hope the boss aims at the person with that accessory. Whereas 30 attack works every time.

In most cases you're using them to protect against an AOE, I would think. Either statuses or elemental attacks. That 6* Bolt Ring was very good for Chadarnook.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

In most cases you're using them to protect against an AOE, I would think. Either statuses or elemental attacks. That 6* Bolt Ring was very good for Chadarnook.

This, but also they're very good to protect less tanky characters like healers. Making your healer nigh-immune to gravity attacks or 60% resistant to elemental damage helps a lot with making your fight go more consistently. You can usually beat an Ultimate boss with your A-team down a character (past the earliest point of the fight, anyway), but very rarely will you win if your healer bites it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Are there any big Gravity/Death attacks in the future, actually? The only one that comes to mind immediately is probably U+ Yunalesca.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I dunno, if you had a bunch of them for the same element and that is the only element that the boss uses I could see it being the best thing to use but most of the time it seems like if your mitigation is up then the damage the boss will do is manageable. If your mitigation falls off then you are dead. If just one of your character survives a big aoe because of an accessory it doesn't matter much because the rest of your team is probably dead or close enough to it.

Like, your healer would only be in danger if the rest of your mitigation fell off, and if that happens your team is toast anyway.

Of course this is coming from a dude who has a native Wall, native regen, always uses shellga or protectga and has Gordon's AoE mgc/pwr breakdown that stacks with normal breakdowns so I have shitloads of more reliable mitigation already.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are there any big Gravity/Death attacks in the future, actually? The only one that comes to mind immediately is probably U+ Yunalesca.

A pretty high proportion of bosses have some sort of gravity attack.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I dunno, if you had a bunch of them for the same element and that is the only element that the boss uses I could see it being the best thing to use but most of the time it seems like if your mitigation is up then the damage the boss will do is manageable. If your mitigation falls off then you are dead. If just one of your character survives a big aoe because of an accessory it doesn't matter much because the rest of your team is probably dead or close enough to it.

Like, your healer would only be in danger if the rest of your mitigation fell off, and if that happens your team is toast anyway.

Of course this is coming from a dude who has a native Wall, native regen, always uses shellga or protectga and has Gordon's AoE mgc/pwr breakdown that stacks with normal breakdowns so I have shitloads of more reliable mitigation already.

Those aren't all as reliable as you might think. Nightmare bosses are immune to breaks. Shellga and protectga take ability slots or Mako's Mights. Wall very strictly limits your party composition and is flat out unavailable in any Cid's Mission (natively anyway). Gordon is flat out unavailable in Cid's Missions to date.

And, again, you're giving up all of 30 attack for it. You're over the Attack soft cap anyway if you're RWing Shout and using a synergy weapon.

EDIT: Also, seriously, how many 30 attack/30 magic accessories do you need? In Japan right now I have 6 30 Attack and 2 25 Attack accessories, and 7 30 Magic accessories -- and I don't even have all of them.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 18, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zurai posted:

EDIT: Also, seriously, how many 30 attack/30 magic accessories do you need? In Japan right now I have 6 30 Attack and 2 25 Attack accessories, and 7 30 Magic accessories -- and I don't even have all of them.

Well, in my case, I have one +30 ATK accessory, and one +30 Mind accessory, the former of which is in a realm we won't see again for a while I believe. I'm also a bit lacking in good gear in general, really. So, I wouldn't mind more, myself. But I also appended my earlier statement about it being disappointing for me specifically; I imagine people who've been playing longer can kit their team out in full sets of those accessories meanwhile.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 18, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mind accessories are even less useful than the others. Remember, heals have diminishing returns from Mind. Unless you're using Diaga or Holy, there's almost always going to be a better accessory for your healer.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I don't know about content that isn't in global yet but you're absolutely right about me probably hitting the attack cap and now I'm thinking of what else I can use. How do you feel about the big HP plus accessories? Seems like with heavy regen they could be pretty good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I like them. If there's not a major resist accessory which makes sense, I generally use either Adel's +750 HP accessory or (in JP) the +15 Mind +500 HP accessory from Cait Sith's event on my healer or a lower level/more fragile character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On that note, can the FFIV Gauntlets from the Cecil reissue event ages ago be safely ditched at this point? +HP just seems better all around, even with synergy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The idea of "ditching" a 5* item is just... anathema to me. Even the Excalipoor and Celebration Grimoire live on as Rosetta Stones on my First Fusion.

I mean, even if I never use the Gauntlets again, they were my first 5* accessory. That means something, you know?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I use the Gauntlets fairly often still in hard content, Major Regen with spot heals means I'd rather add that extra layer of mitigation than have a higher starting hp.

Hmm, honing Alexander for this battle could prove useful since I run Aerith/Garnet with their SBs, but Holy orbs are what I'm most lacking.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gauntlets can make Armor Strike more powerful, especially in their native realm. So there's that as well.

Also, maybe it's fate, but I finally got Samurai and Devout's RM2s in the Mondaily. The matching characters can now be thrown to the side.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Did a regular pull on the event's second banner and pulled Locke's Wing Edge. It may be situational but hey I finally have a medica of sorts on this account!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Two of the people on my A team can use Spears so Good Enough.
:toot:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Nihilarian posted:

Drill (and Edgar) are both very good, anyways! Edgar can run the combo of Machinist + Saint Cross, making him one of the best status inflictors in the game despite his 65 cap, even without Drill's quite effective +50% Party Defense soul break.

Edgar kind of sucked on release, but he's one of the best Machinists now so his stock has gone up quite a bit even if you have someone else pegged for Saint Cross.

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Welp, Chadarnook was a complete cakewalk for me. He didn't even get a chance to switch back to goddess form, and I didn't even have to use a heal spell the entire fight (not even a medica). This was in large part due to my ridiculous synergy, as well as Beatrix's holy damage soul break, Locke's Valiant Strike, and Agrias' cleansing strike.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Niton posted:

Drill (and Edgar) are both very good, anyways! Edgar can run the combo of Machinist + Saint Cross, making him one of the best status inflictors in the game despite his 65 cap, even without Drill's quite effective +50% Party Defense soul break.

Edgar kind of sucked on release, but he's one of the best Machinists now so his stock has gone up quite a bit even if you have someone else pegged for Saint Cross.
I forgot he got Machinist. That's probably worth leveling, yeah

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Nihilarian posted:

Drill also gives its user +20 Defense, so not only is it a really good spear, but it packs bonus armor as well.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Question about banner festivals:

In late-June (approx.) we're anticipating a Burst Soul Break festival yes? And then in perhaps September, the most recent JP festival (Double Burst? W-Burst?) is expected to occur?

I'm looking ahead to figure what I'm saving for and the BSB and W-Burst stuff is hard to parse. Is the difference just about more Burst relics of greater quality (power creep) being available in the W-Burst event?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Did a single pull today and got Oath Veil. Not bad, could've been better but I'm not going to complain.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Are there any good Medicas on non-mages coming up soonish I should save up for? I had no luck on FFT, and I've got my wall on Tyro, and Hastega through Garnet's SSB, so I'm just trying to figure out how I should be planning on my team in the future.

Additionally, now that I'm pushing into the endgame stuff, my priority RMs are Tidus' RM3 and Decil's RM3. I've got Vivi's RM2 and Cloud's RM3, and I'm just waiting for Tyro to spit out his RM3. Are there any others I should beeline towards in the next week or so?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Orfeo posted:

Are there any good Medicas on non-mages coming up soonish I should save up for? I had no luck on FFT, and I've got my wall on Tyro, and Hastega through Garnet's SSB, so I'm just trying to figure out how I should be planning on my team in the future.

Additionally, now that I'm pushing into the endgame stuff, my priority RMs are Tidus' RM3 and Decil's RM3. I've got Vivi's RM2 and Cloud's RM3, and I'm just waiting for Tyro to spit out his RM3. Are there any others I should beeline towards in the next week or so?

Yuffie in Vincent 2 in about a week. Garnet's SSB is probably enough healing (Hi-Regen is basically Medica against things that aren't Yunalesca), but Yuffie is the best/last option available for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Niton posted:

Yuffie in Vincent 2 in about a week. Garnet's SSB is probably enough healing (Hi-Regen is basically Medica against things that aren't Yunalesca), but Yuffie is the best/last option available for a good while.

Yuffie's not a bad choice for me, especially since I have her 4-point Shuriken ready and waiting! Thanks!

• Locked thread