Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think anyone actually knows for sure at this point because I'm p sure we have two conflicting statements by araki on what the deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way i view it is 'it doesn't matter either way'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Annakiss has a stupid hat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Calling the final fight of DiU "The Invincible Crazy D" instead of "Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable" should be illegal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Calling the final fight of DiU "The Invincible Crazy D" instead of "Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable" should be illegal

The Invincible Shining D sounds pretty legit tho.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seafood, end Dias lowly existence tia

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Stallion Cabana posted:

are we supposed to think that the universe that we end on in Part 6 in is the same world as the Steel Ball Run/JoJoLion one? Or is it one more past that?

There were 36 universe resets, one results in the Ireniverse, at least one in SBRiverse (that includes an alternate President Funny Valentine with the stand 「Singing in the Rain」 that lets him fly), 36 Ultimate Lifeform Kars end up on Mars, Kars Prime steals Killer Queen from (not to be confused with Dead Mans Questions Kira Prime) Yoshikage Kira #36 (and not to be confused with the Kira that uses the power of the Golden Rectangle to bisect Lisa Lisa with a rope, dancing with her corpse and calling himself Kira Kira) and awakens it into Killer Queen Requiem, blowing up time until everything collapses back into the original dimension. Somewhere in this, Dio Brando (who is not DIO) gathers the 36 incarnations of Tusk and achieves 「Heaven」, gaining the stand 「The Passion」, or Jesus, which lets him see the future. Later he dies and becomes the Corpse, but then Jonathan Joestar is resurected, gathers the corpse, and gains The Passion for himself.

...I just wanted to read enough Jorge Joestar summaries to make a witty answer to the quote but then I kept falling deeper and now I can taste copper and almonds.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*Crazy Diamond is not crash

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
:( I really hope it's still Killer Queen and not deadly queen

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Murder King

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dias posted:

hey baal jolyne takes issue with your dislike of part 6

I want a call back to this in Part 8 so it can be drawn better

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun

CJ posted:

I wasn't going to bring it up since i know some people will throw a tantrum, but yes. D'arby was beaten because the MC was just so cool he went crazy. There was nothing clever or interesting about it despite the setup being great. Terence on the other hand was great all the way through though, because it subverts both Terence and the viewer's expectations of Jotaro being cool enough to do anything so you don't consider it being Joseph. It's a running theme through a lot of Araki's writing. He's great at coming up with crazy unique premises but often has trouble following through to resolve them in a satisfying way which isn't a complete rear end pull or main character plot armour. Thankfully he gets better at it as time goes on.

I always thought that he freaks out because he thinks that Jotaro has the same stand as Dio and that Jotaro is just loving with him when he asks him to explain what the world does. They establish earlier that hes really focusing to see if star platinum does anything to cheat and from Darby's perspective he either moves too fast too see or he stops time. Since the Darby's were probably close with Dio and not vampires its not crazy to think that Dio told them what the world does or at least showed it to them once like the Hol Horse scene.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jorge Joestar

Is bad

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

ZWZ posted:

I always thought that he freaks out because he thinks that Jotaro has the same stand as Dio and that Jotaro is just loving with him when he asks him to explain what the world does. They establish earlier that hes really focusing to see if star platinum does anything to cheat and from Darby's perspective he either moves too fast too see or he stops time. Since the Darby's were probably close with Dio and not vampires its not crazy to think that Dio told them what the world does or at least showed it to them once like the Hol Horse scene.

My analysis of the situation is similar.

Consider this for a moment: You are a very good gambler, and you're cheating your balls off. But Jotaro inexplicably chooses not to look at his cards. This is weird in the first place, but okay, sure, maybe he just doesn't know how to play. Then he keeps raising, even betting his mother's life. Is he that certain that his cards are good? And apparently he is fast enough to grab a drink or light a smoke before you can tell. Is he fast enough to exchange the cards? Is that why he's so confident in them? And then he raises to the point where you winning would be a resounding victory for Dio as all the Joestars are eliminated...but if you lose, you die. (well, you give up the secret of Dio's stand, but no way he doesn't track you down and murder you for that).

D'arby was a very careful player. He never played a game he wasn't absolutely certain to win, even if he had to cheat to make that so. Jotaro created a reasonable expectation of foul play in D'arby's mind, and risking his life by calling a bet that Jotaro was so confident about, and where Jotaro could potentially have changed the cards without him seeing it? The objectively correct move by D'arby was to call it. D'arby was aware of that too. But losing would betray Dio, and we all know how the loyalty of Dio's minions can get a little fanatic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's how I read D'Arby the Gambler. I don't really buy into it being a result of Jotaro stopping time in the least and the way DIO's World plays out doesn't really gel with that interpretation either. None of the Crusaders believe that stopping time would be remotely possible and it's not a secret Jotaro would keep from them. (It's not a secret he can keep at all considering everyone ends up knowing Star Platinum can stop time)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

That's how I read D'Arby the Gambler. I don't really buy into it being a result of Jotaro stopping time in the least and the way DIO's World plays out doesn't really gel with that interpretation either. None of the Crusaders believe that stopping time would be remotely possible and it's not a secret Jotaro would keep from them. (It's not a secret he can keep at all considering everyone ends up knowing Star Platinum can stop time)

It's not that Jotaro stopped time, but that D'Arby thought Jotaro stopped time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hello Evil Badman, here is your bow & arrow and complimentary Did You Know Star Platinum Can Stop Time pamphlet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yinlock posted:

hello Evil Badman, here is your bow & arrow and complimentary Did You Know Star Platinum Can Stop Time pamphlet.

Yeah, that made no sense. Hopefully the anime will add some sort of explanation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

To be fair, Because Shut Up is a perfectly acceptable explanation, it's just always been something kinda weird that stood out.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Watching Stardust Crusaders with friends on Crunchy Roll gets sketchy because the later thumbnails just have Avdol right there after the point he's supposed to be dead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Animefriends hate it!
This
One
Weird trick
Will make
You immune
To
SPOILERS

>>>CLICK HERE<<<

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't wanna read the manga because it will spoil the anime for me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I don't wanna read the manga because it will spoil the anime for me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Josuke instantly clobbers a dude who he's only pretty sure said "Yoshikage Kira"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Moltrey posted:

I love that Josuke instantly clobbers a dude who he's only pretty sure said "Yoshikage Kira"

It totally makes sense though. If he's not a stand user he'll have no idea Josuke did it but he can heal him with Crazy Diamond. If he is a Stand user and he's working for Yoshikage Kira, he got the first hit off- if he isn't then, hey, I'll heal you sorry there's a serial killer running around we're looking for-. And then if he is Yoshikage Kira, well, the manga happens.

Kira deciding to follow Hayato to know exactly who he killed just shows he was nowhere near as clever or smart as he thought he was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Stallion Cabana posted:

It totally makes sense though. If he's not a stand user he'll have no idea Josuke did it but he can heal him with Crazy Diamond. If he is a Stand user and he's working for Yoshikage Kira, he got the first hit off- if he isn't then, hey, I'll heal you sorry there's a serial killer running around we're looking for-. And then if he is Yoshikage Kira, well, the manga happens.

Kira deciding to follow Hayato to know exactly who he killed just shows he was nowhere near as clever or smart as he thought he was.
Oh it was a smart idea on Josuke's part, I just like he was instantly in Yoshikage Gonna Catch These Hands mode

Also doesn't Kira need to see who Bites the Dust killed in order to stop the loop? I'm super fuzzy on the specifics of how it works though m, it's been explained to me in this thread multiple times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kira just needs to withdraw Killer Queen to defuse BtD.
He can't use Killer Queen when BtD is active because he's hiding with the person and it can't be used on a Stand user.

Naturally, he's going to want to know who triggered BtD before doing so anyway.
Kira himself can't harm the person carrying BtD either.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay, that was it. Kira knows that people are getting closer on his rear end so wanting Killer Queen by his side whenever possible and also keeping BtD on Hayato had be a weird balancing act.

Kira's house of cards had to collapse at some point and Bites The Dust might be my favorite finale in JoJo but Kira loving up in front of Josuke after Sheer Heart Attack still feels forced to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He didn't know Josuke was there. Hayato rigs it so that Josuke comes slightly early and gets Kira to say his name so Josuke will figure it out from Kira, not triggering Bites The Dust and can fight Kira without interference.

From the way he phrases it, the entire gang die an unknown amount of times waiting for Josuke to actually wake up on time.

It's also worth noting that if Kira ever found out he scored a total wipe out with Jotaro, Josuke, Koichi, Okuyasu and Rohan at any point before Josuke finds it out, he wins because Bites The Dust always kills people at the same time after the first kill, so he'd just have had to wait for them to die, withdraw Bites The Dust/KQ and then finish off the rest of the people allied to Josuke with impunity.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

He didn't know Josuke was there. Hayato rigs it so that Josuke comes slightly early and gets Kira to say his name so Josuke will figure it out from Kira, not triggering Bites The Dust and can fight Kira without interference.

From the way he phrases it, the entire gang die countless times waiting for Josuke to actually wake up on time.

It's also worth noting that if Kira ever found out he scored a total wipe out with Jotaro, Josuke, Koichi, Okuyasu and Rohan at any point before Josuke finds it out, he wins because Bites The Dust always kills people at the same time, so he'd just have had to wait for them to die, withdraw Bites The Dust and then finish off the rest of the people allied to Josuke with impunity.
Oh no I'm cool with that, that is very good and cool. I'm talking about after Sheer Heart Attack where Koichi and Jotaro are knocked the gently caress out, Josuke and Okuyasu rules up and heal them and Kira yells at Josuke to heal him too. All Kira had to do was lay there as a bystander and Josuke would've healed him, but Josuke realizes Kira must be a Stand user if he's referencing Crazy Diamond.

That just felt like a boneheaded move on Kira's part and kinda lame I dunno

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Kira made the exact same mistake that a certain other Kira also made: gloating of his victory a bit too early.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, he just got worked up and made a couple of mistakes. No big. He was shook by Koichi rumbling him.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Kira made the exact same mistake that a certain other Kira also made: gloating of his victory a bit too early.

Death Note ends in the middle. Everything after the obvious tipping point is so awful. I don't think it's ever amazing but I don't know of many things with such an obvious drop in quality.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm cool with Kira loving up because Hayato is the smartest fourth grade ever, but just because He Goofed is ehhh. I know Kira cracks easily under pressure and he just got blown the gently caress up but come on you had that, homie. Stop fumbling it, you menace to society

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 18, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Setting Bites za Dusto on Hayato instead of just killing him in the usual way was not the best idea.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean, he could've just killed him AND HE TOTALLY DID ONCE but that's way way more pressure than he would ever want, especially with The Duwang Gang hot on his heels.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think he straight explains that he can't make Hayato disappear because it would inevitably get out that a boy went missing without a trace in Morioh and that the Duwang Gang would come sniffing around ASAP. It's pretty safe to assume that Daddy Kira had told Yoshikage that Rohan was sniffing around and that he had photos of both Hayato and "Kosaku".

Bearing in mind that he had the Gang beat until Hayato threw a spanner in the works, the error wasn't Bites The Dust, it was simply not dilligently confirming his kills after each loop that happened. There was no other way of dealing with Hayato.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

It's not that Jotaro stopped time, but that D'Arby thought Jotaro stopped time.

That's an interesting idea and I'd say more but I'm phone posting at the moment, so i might circle back. I was re-watching those episodes on my morning commute today, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think he straight explains that he can't make Hayato disappear because it would inevitably get out that a boy went missing without a trace in Morioh and that the Duwang Gang would come sniffing around ASAP. It's pretty safe to assume that Daddy Kira had told Yoshikage that Rohan was sniffing around and that he had photos of both Hayato and "Kosaku".

There's no assumption there; after Hayato dies before Kira gets BtD, Daddy Kira flies in, freaks out and tells his son that they're finished and that Rohan's been investigating Kosaku Kawajiri so the sudden disappearance of Hayato would be an immediate tip off to Kira.