Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mllaneza posted:

I've worked sites that had an exactly 8 character password requirement. That's the intersection of an 8 character maximum on (iirc) HP-UX and an 8-character minimum on Active Directory. Their corporate masters finally started decommissioning the HP-UX system last year, but your userID will be referred to as a "UnixID" for another 20 years.

Old job had HP/UX, they were showing me how to login and where some programs were. Root password was like COMPNAYNAME284732$!@, company name was 8 letters long. I said hey watch this and typed in just the company name and hit enter and of course it logged in. They were all shocked and the only other young guy said "haha you guys are so dumb I told you that password sucked plus it's on the side of the building in huge letters!

The server was chmod -R 777 because nobody there knew UNIX permissions anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Spazz posted:

edit: Logs are 250GB uncompressed. I just got them. :smith:

Eh. If it's over 10 files you need to write a script to churn though it at which point it makes no difference if it is eleven files or a million.

If you have access to a SQL Server database I can provide you with a script that uses Logparser 2.2 to snort that poo poo right up into a table for your data aggregating needs.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ahhhhh. Going back to work tomorrow after taking a week of PTO. Now I wish I would have taken 2 weeks or so. I like not working. I need to get a bunch of passive income so I can stop working :|

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Danith posted:

Ahhhhh. Going back to work tomorrow after taking a week of PTO. Now I wish I would have taken 2 weeks or so. I like not working. I need to get a bunch of passive income so I can stop working :|

Working 9 to 5 results in steadily increasing sleep deprivation for me, with only being mildly tired on the weekends as I catch up on sleep. Being unemployed for 3 months sucked, but going for 3 months without being tired all the time was possibly the best I had felt in years.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Danith posted:

I've been temporarily laid off (yay :norway: ) for a month or so now, and it's starting to get boring as hell... Got some stuff coming up, but it's still not certain. Ugh.

The first 2 weeks tho? Just decompression from 8 months of stress.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Doesn't something super popular have case-insensitive passwords? WoW maybe?

Like the Danish national online ID system ("Nem ID")? Both usernames and passwords are case-insensitive.

RFC2324 posted:

Blizzard as a whole, yes.

They claim that not only did it massively decrease lost password requests, it also did not increase hacked account numbers.

and Nem ID uses the exact same argument. I guess we'd get stricter security if people's ID began getting stolen, but so far there's been very few cases of ID theft.
Of course, it is a two-factor authentication system.

..and it's not because there's nothing worthwhile to steal. With your Nem ID you can do all your interaction with banks, pensions, and the public sector online. (except voting, we're kinda old-fashioned and refuse to do anything but paper votes)

Crowley fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 18, 2016

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Crowley posted:

Of course, it is a two-factor authentication system.

Yeah. That's kind of like saying "well my car starts with a button, but of course there's also a rolling-code electronic authorization from a keyfob to allow it to start"**. You Europeans and your fancy "banks that believe in more than 15 character passwords" and "banks that understand the security increase of two-factor" and "free transfers from any bank account to another without involving stupid poo poo like Paypal". Hows about you gently caress off and take your danishes with you.

Stupid Europeans with their noses in the air. Over here in Amuurriikka we pays our $25 per wire transfer (that takes 7 days) and we likes it. And if 8 characters is good enough for our Windows login it's drat sure good enough for our American banking!

.....loving idiot rear end America we can't even get chip & PIN right and 10 years after Europe started doing chip & PIN we now have chip and signature HOW THE gently caress DO YOU UPGRADE THE SWIPE TO A CHIP BUT LEAVE THE SIGNATURE PART WHICH IS 80% OF THE ENTIRE INSECURITY OF THE CARD SYSTEM TO BEGIN WITH

Sometimes I just want to punch this country. Yes, the entire country.

**yes I know how insecure keyfobs are because car companies, like most other physical-good manufacturers, don't really "get" computer security

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Potato Alley posted:

.....loving idiot rear end America we can't even get chip & PIN right and 10 years after Europe started doing chip & PIN we now have chip and signature HOW THE gently caress DO YOU UPGRADE THE SWIPE TO A CHIP BUT LEAVE THE SIGNATURE PART WHICH IS 80% OF THE ENTIRE INSECURITY OF THE CARD SYSTEM TO BEGIN WITH

Not to mention it takes a lot longer.

Card swipe, 1/4th of a second.

Chip read, 15 seconds.

For some reason the only place (I've been) that has fast chip readers is walgreens and their units look about 3 years old. Seems like everywhere else I go has units that are less than a year old with huge LCD displays and slow chip readers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PBS posted:

Not to mention it takes a lot longer.

Card swipe, 1/4th of a second.

Chip read, 15 seconds.

For some reason the only place (I've been) that has fast chip readers is walgreens and their units look about 3 years old. Seems like everywhere else I go has units that are less than a year old with huge LCD displays and slow chip readers.

That's becuase everyone waited until the last minute to buy them when they had to switch over or be blamed if the card was stolen. The vendors ran out and mass ordered cheap rear end stuff to meet the demand the apparent didn't anticipate even though tons of places still needed them.

Early adopters have better gear

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Eh. If it's over 10 files you need to write a script to churn though it at which point it makes no difference if it is eleven files or a million.

I appreciate it -- I've already parsed the pieces of information I need out of it into a sqlite database, which isn't too big much to my surprise. I used to work at a telecom vendor where 250GB of logs was pretty normal to work with as a post mortem, but all the desktops there had pretty insanely powered CPUs.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We have the thing where you tap your credit card on the machine and it beeps and you take your liquor and go.

Chips are oldscool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Swink posted:

We have the thing where you tap your credit card on the machine and it beeps and you take your liquor and go.

Chips are oldscool.

Same, but I tap my watch. CVS is about the only place that doesn't accept ApplePay around me (at least that I shop at), so it's only a pain in the rear end when I don't feel like driving the half mile to Walgreen's instead.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pixaal posted:

That's becuase everyone waited until the last minute to buy them when they had to switch over or be blamed if the card was stolen. The vendors ran out and mass ordered cheap rear end stuff to meet the demand the apparent didn't anticipate even though tons of places still needed them.

I would say 85% of the stores I've made purchases in since October 1 either don't have machines that can accept the chip, or are unable to run credit cards by scanning the chip. I don't even bother to ask anymore whether i should be swiping or not.

I had my org compliant in September. :getin:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You should do away with credit cards next.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I think a lot of places still use a modem to connect and authenticate credit cards? I can hear it connecting at a couple places I go to. Usually gas stations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Danith posted:

I think a lot of places still use a modem to connect and authenticate credit cards? I can hear it connecting at a couple places I go to. Usually gas stations.

That or a satellite link. Which really sucks if they get bad rain and it fucks the link up something fierce.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Potato Alley posted:

Hows about you gently caress off and take your danishes with you.

They can clear out, but the danishes stay. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

I'm going to agree with this. Danishes are amazing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerry Cotton posted:

You should do away with credit cards next.

Well, barter may be better, but it's a sod to keep multiple chickens in your wallet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

In alphabetical order?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

At least where I live, almost all the stores have had credit card readers that can do chips, but only a few places have them turned on. Slowly the rest are starting to activate them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

At least where I live, almost all the stores have had credit card readers that can do chips, but only a few places have them turned on. Slowly the rest are starting to activate them.

Yeah, that's what it's like here as well. If I had a buck for every plastic/cardboard thing jammed in the chip slot with "WE DON'T TAKE CHIPS, SORRY"...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Danith posted:

Funny I was just talking with some tech who does our Dell warranty repairs. His company also does all of the satellite dish installs for a popular gas station chain. He said that anytime a new gas station is being built they just go with limited satellite internet first to get up and running and then try and find cheap local broadband. He also mentioned that some station managers are super cheap so even if a good connection does become available some will stick with the satellite anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't imagine satellite internet being cheaper than some cheapskate-tier ADSL line.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The thing is satellite internet will work absolutely everywhere even if it sucks. DSL can be hard to find on the other hand, especially due to the distance requirements on DSL. And cable installs to a new business can take quite some time, as can fiber or other such good services, on top of often hefty installation fees for a new property for business.

So it's no surprise that a gas station owner who just wants basic service fast enough for credit transactions might stick with satellite - it can easily be just $30-$35 a month and that's barely more expensive than low end DSL plans when they're even available.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

The thing is satellite internet will work absolutely everywhere even if it sucks. DSL can be hard to find on the other hand, especially due to the distance requirements on DSL. And cable installs to a new business can take quite some time, as can fiber or other such good services, on top of often hefty installation fees for a new property for business.

So it's no surprise that a gas station owner who just wants basic service fast enough for credit transactions might stick with satellite - it can easily be just $30-$35 a month and that's barely more expensive than low end DSL plans when they're even available.

This. The benefit is if you're not in an area services by reliable high speed, you can plunk down satellite and boom, instant non dialup access. And since credit card transactions are so tiny, data limits aren't a concern. I can think of more than a few small towns far enough away from major infrastructure that went this route.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Had an offboard / onboard request come in late on Friday, user had given notice and we had interviewed for a replacement (customer service). Today 2 hours into the day the new user quits, just up says they are going to the bathroom get in their car and drive off.

Okay guess I'll just delete all these accounts now. What makes you take a job for all of 2 hours? How could you possibly have an issue with anything at that point.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

What? Choke to death on your fake-rear end poo poo pastries or something while I enjoy some proper morgenbrød. I'll have a proper sweet tebirkes with butter any time!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah. That's kind of like saying "well my car starts with a button, but of course there's also a rolling-code electronic authorization from a keyfob to allow it to start"**. You Europeans and your fancy "banks that believe in more than 15 character passwords" and "banks that understand the security increase of two-factor" and "free transfers from any bank account to another without involving stupid poo poo like Paypal". Hows about you gently caress off and take your danishes with you.

Stupid Europeans with their noses in the air. Over here in Amuurriikka we pays our $25 per wire transfer (that takes 7 days) and we likes it. And if 8 characters is good enough for our Windows login it's drat sure good enough for our American banking!

**yes I know how insecure keyfobs are because car companies, like most other physical-good manufacturers, don't really "get" computer security

Chip and PIN are set by the bank you have your cards with. Of three credit providers, two use Chip and PIN and one uses the old style card, but is upgrading everyone to Chip and Signature and on January 1 2017, it'll be Chip and PIN. Maybe don't go with Bob's Legitimate Credit Card Service for your credit accounts?

Also, I use two major banks and both of them do free ACH account transfers domestically. You only pay if you try to Wire or send to an international bank account. I have literally paid for two bank transfers (of several thousand in total) in the last five or so years, and both of them were wires.

ratbert90 posted:

I'm going to agree with this. Danishes are amazing.

Danes are amazing. Take Crowley to bed as an experiment. You'll see. (My own experiments did not involve Crowley.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

Apparently internet via sat is a lot cheaper than I expected. Googled a bit and prices around here is about the same for the lowest tiers.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Apparently internet via sat is a lot cheaper than I expected. Googled a bit and prices around here is about the same for the lowest tiers.

Is satellite internet bidirectional, now? A long time ago when I was rural, I looked into satellite internet and you needed a phone line for upstream for the two (maybe three) services in the area.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Collateral Damage posted:

What you were probably thinking of is prices for satellite internet that can support, say, someone who actually wants to watch video on the internet often. That requires higher bandwidth tiers and it really starts ballooning costs. A place that just needs the bandwidth to run credit/debit cards and send off business records to a remote location doesn't need that level of service.

Arsten posted:

Is satellite internet bidirectional, now? A long time ago when I was rural, I looked into satellite internet and you needed a phone line for upstream for the two (maybe three) services in the area.

Bidirectional satellite has been around since the late 90s. It does have a noticeable downside compared to satellite down + dialup up service, as you get the full satellite latency on both sides of the connection instead of just the downlink. Of course, most people are willing to put up with more latency in exchange for having several megabit upload versus ~40 kilobit upload on a dial up return path.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Arsten posted:

It is, but because it is satellite you incur some nasty latency on the connection. VPNs, real time trading, and online gaming are generally no fly zones, and most vendors will read you a spiel about what activities tend to run poorly.

Edit: Damnit Fishmech.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

Also, I use two major banks and both of them do free ACH account transfers domestically. You only pay if you try to Wire or send to an international bank account. I have literally paid for two bank transfers (of several thousand in total) in the last five or so years, and both of them were wires.

Yeah I have that with US Bank and Citi. I just sent a chunk of money to my sister-in-law to set up my parents' 50th anniversary party and no fee involved.

Maybe smaller, regional banks or credit unions are still living in the 90s or something.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

pixaal posted:

Okay guess I'll just delete all these accounts now. What makes you take a job for all of 2 hours? How could you possibly have an issue with anything at that point.

We had a new financial controller come in at my old company, and she left on her second week when she went out for lunch. Never came back, nobody knows why. Might have been a sign of things to come.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

What you were probably thinking of is prices for satellite internet that can support, say, someone who actually wants to watch video on the internet often. That requires higher bandwidth tiers and it really starts ballooning costs. A place that just needs the bandwidth to run credit/debit cards and send off business records to a remote location doesn't need that level of service.
The one I found here offers a minimum tier which is 5/1 Mbit with a 2 GB cap for 300 SEK/mo (~$36), or 22/6 Mbit with a 10 GB cap for 400 SEK/mo (~$49), then the tiers above that are just larger data caps.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Old job had HP/UX,

HP-UX also by default has an 8 character limit on hostnames :sun:

It's p old school even compared to other commercial Unix, in some ways.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

Well, barter may be better, but it's a sod to keep multiple chickens in your wallet.

Well I meant debit cards so people wouldn't be in debt all the time but sure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

Is this a low-end, call-center like job? Sounds like it. Some of those are oppressive as hell.

There's also another possibility. When I worked for Dish Network as a CSR way back in the day, this kind of thing was super common. Lot of state/federal assistance programs require you to show some kind of effort into getting a job, but few require you to keep a job. Probation often has a similar clause to find employment.

So you get people who get a job exactly long enough to not lose their benefits, go back to jail, whatever.

Not saying this guy is doing that, but it's definitely a possibility if you're talking a call center where butts-in-chairs is the most important metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I've just been forced to send this email after my previous two tickets were replied to with useless garbage and then INSTANTLY closed. What a loving shambles deloitte's out sourced, off shore "support" center is.

quote:

This is now the third time I am raising a ticket with you. The past two tickets you have instantly closed with no support or help provided. If you close this one again I will be forced to raise formal complaints against your company.

IR#NUMBERS
IR#NUMBERS

Now try and listen to the fault logged. This is occurring on two separate machines and different web browsers.

How about you try and log in as that user on your machine and confirm what you are seeing. If you actually successfully log in, then we'll have progressed towards a resolution! It's amazing what working collaboratively can do.

I have no doubt this will also be instantly closed and ignored and at that point I'll have to hope we have some kind of account manager I can yell at. Probably not. We're too cheap for that.