Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Buane posted:

Did you decide not to join us for Trivia this year?

Is your favorite movie K-9, the 1989 comedy romp starring James Belushi?

Well congratulations for loving the rest of us over, you selfish rear end in a top hat. Next year, join.

:negative:

What was the question that this was the answer to?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dead Precedents posted:

:negative:

What was the question that this was the answer to?

It was a question about a certain scene involving a cupcake and a shot-out windshield. We were having real trouble finding the scene for some reason. I think the version on youtube was missing it.

And then it turned into a debacle where we had the right educated guess but *someone* told us to stop calling and provided an incorrect answer.

Ultimately it was 20 points so it didn't affect our standing. Still, it was kind of funny to see our well-oiled machine break down on such a simple question so late in the contest.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My goal in life now is to perform well enough to get s a shout-out in our team speech.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

wa27 posted:

It was a question about a certain scene involving a cupcake and a shot-out windshield. We were having real trouble finding the scene for some reason. I think the version on youtube was missing it.

And then it turned into a debacle where we had the right educated guess but *someone* told us to stop calling and provided an incorrect answer.

Ultimately it was 20 points so it didn't affect our standing. Still, it was kind of funny to see our well-oiled machine break down on such a simple question so late in the contest.

K9/11. Never forget.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Thanks yet again to MisterZimbu, who dragged me in from the Sim Racing Goons group. This was a lot of fun, and super happy to have been able to lend a hand here and there, even though I probably was the one that started the snowball leading to K9/11. :bang:

Hopefully I'll be around to help for upcoming events!

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

And the Goons did smote the Network, and all was laid to celebration.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
This is how I felt when I heard goons beat Network for the first time.

Is the age of stangposting upon us?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Maybe cam-a-roe posting

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Trivia is the best, Network is the worst.

Couldn't do poo poo to help, but I was present in spirit. Maybe next year.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Couldn't close out the contest but so proud!

IT HAPPENED! GOOD JOB GOONS! gently caress NETWORK!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well done, guys!

My help was at an absolute minimum this year; I just wasn't feeling it. But luckily you guys stepped up!

Next year's dates are already written in my calendar, and hopefully I'll rock it with you fully.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Thanks to everyone who participated. Even if you weren't on very long or did much, you were at least there for moral support and that's the important part.

If you want to contribute more in the 53 weeks we aren't doing trivia, you can always take notes on lovely sitcoms so nadando aka our note-taking machine doesn't have to.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Working on Trivia has been a fun few weeks.

It's hard to feel productive when the goon hive answers most questions within 30 seconds. Still, verifying answers or eliminating bad answers is important. Having lots of people is a good problem to have.

If you are like me, one of the goons who was never fast enough to answer questions outright, you can still help by taking notes! Aside from one or two questions that I knew off the top of my head, I didn't do much, but I did take notes and track down pics.

Aside from that, I spent the weekend looking for images and failing due to my own stupidity.

It was worth it.

I'm definitely in to helping Nadando take notes on old lame sitcoms.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 19, 2016

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Was network a bag of dicks again?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've been on the team (with more or less participation) since I joined SA and it's always been worth it. Even when I've been kind of useless, there's always SOMETHING you can contribute, and it's always been fun

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I've been on the team (with more or less participation) since I joined SA and it's always been worth it. Even when I've been kind of useless, there's always SOMETHING you can contribute, and it's always been fun

Yeah we got a few pictures at the last minute by people who joined. Never too late to jump in!

FUCKNETWORK.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Gratz guys. I came in for a bit, but you all were moving so fast I didn't feel like I could be much help. Maybe next year, eh.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It always amazes me to see the point value of these images that we struggle with for days. I would love to get to see how other teams come across these images and if they struggle just as badly.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

somekindofguy posted:

Gratz guys. I came in for a bit, but you all were moving so fast I didn't feel like I could be much help. Maybe next year, eh.

It's pretty frequent that the first answers posted are wrong, or they are the right works, but not the right answers. You can still be helpful while everyone is answering fast. Or you can just chill and chitchat.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Well done, TF. I wasn't feeling it so much this year, sorry I wasn't there for you night crew!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Phuzzy posted:

So, as some of you know, 90FM and UWSP are facing massive budget cuts thanks to Governor Walker's idea of cutting the funding to the UW-System by $250 Million. And the Contest has been getting fewer players each year. This is a problem for the station which is already thin on funding. So, if you can, make a donation to the Friends of 90FM http://www.cfcwi.org/list-of-funds/ here. Oz is really happy to hear we want to help.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I feel like I had $50 worth of fun at least.

Thanks, Oz.

Thoz.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:tinfoil: who let you into my closet

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
Nice job, triviapeoples!! That's pretty amazing! I really enjoyed listening in and mostly just observing during the approximately seven total hours I was in IRC with you guys, even though I did absolutely NOTHING to help in any way.

Toaster Fantastic
Nov 6, 2011
Congratulations, trivia folks! I wasn't too helpful, and often not fast enough, but I had so much fun during my first trivia and I look forward to doing it again next year. Thank you to everyone whose admin work makes our participation possible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

EVERYONE is helpful in some way. Just seeing so many people in the chat room is huge for our morale.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
When my work alarm went off this morning, I immediately went to the computer to check the results. MY WIFE, who was drawn in by the final hours last year and sat next to me for most of the weekend, came in to look over my shoulder. She saw it before I did and exclaimed, "Oh my god we beat Network!"

I could not have been prouder.

Note to self for next year: spin up a VM for all this searching; my google/youtube history is all kinds of hosed up now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

EVERYONE is helpful in some way. Just seeing so many people in the chat room is huge for our morale.

Truth. There were a hundred some people on Saturday if memory serves. By the time I was able to get back on Sunday evening numbers had swelled to about 175. It was thrilling to see so many people working together. As for keeping search histories clean, could that be done with Chrome profiles? Not sure if you can have multiple profiles going in different windows or not.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I love trivia. Look forward to it every year. Thank you all for both allowing me to hang out all these years, and making this all so much fun. Guys in this thread talking about how they don't feel like they contributed much this year. Let me tell you this: I've been here from the start and I barely contribute poo poo. And despite all this I probably get more geeked up than anyone in the build up every year. You can participate and not contribute if that makes sense. Hell, my biggest contribution is probably drawing new people in with my exhausting, breathless explanations as to why this weekend is just so magical to me. My only hope is that people can take half as much enjoyment from this contest as I do. Again, thank you, to everyone. Things like this make me glad I stumbled onto this dead gay website over a decade ago.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I could help chime in this year even if I was just part of the peanut gallery. My radio stream seemed to be 30 seconds behind everything so I was alway that much late finding answers. :shrug:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I work in an academic library so maybe I can help round up obscure info some way?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah for sure, especially in the week before when we're scrambling to figure out the pictures.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Phuzzy posted:

donate you schmuks

Remember to check and see if your workplace matches donations first - mine does which means more money for the good guys!

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

BeOSPOS posted:

Glad I could help chime in this year even if I was just part of the peanut gallery. My radio stream seemed to be 30 seconds behind everything so I was alway that much late finding answers. :shrug:

Mine was too. This is obviously the reason I was not terribly helpful, and not the fact that I knew nothing about anything. :)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

wa27 posted:

I found the movie but it wouldn't let me maximize, so I had trouble scrubbing through it effectively. I should have just taken the time to go to the video host because if I'd done that, I would have been able to find the scene much more easily (which I did after I finally went to the video host).

So just remember, folks: haste makes waste!

And we can ALWAYS use more people. You can ALWAYS contribute. These questions are often tricky! For example, the obvious answer is often a red herring and doesn't fulfill every criteria of the question. People that are searching will often share search results that look likely but wrong or incomplete, and having people who are able to verify (as well as cross-check other people's sources) are KEY to us not missing the questions that are our bread and butter.

Even if you contribute just one answer or are able to lead us away from one wrong answer, WE NEED YOU. We were 50 points away from 5th and 35 points in front of 7th so even though we placed high, it's still incredibly close.

And if you get a 500 pointer, you would have won over a thousand dollars this year. That's over $20/hour, not bad for a trivia contest!

Edit: and donate! Friends of 90FM http://www.cfcwi.org/list-of-funds/

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Another fun year of frantic typing and laughing at "much mouth". Thanks again for letting me take part!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

And we can ALWAYS use more people. You can ALWAYS contribute. These questions are often tricky! For example, the obvious answer is often a red herring and doesn't fulfill every criteria of the question. People that are searching will often share search results that look likely but wrong or incomplete, and having people who are able to verify (as well as cross-check other people's sources) are KEY to us not missing the questions that are our bread and butter.

This is very accurate. There was a question about a female athlete who became successful in a second sport later in her career, and it was totally written to lead you to a particular woman. She didn't match up with a few of the clues though, and we would have answered wrong ourselves if we weren't diligent about confirming results and realized it was actually someone else entirely. It ended up being a hundred point question, and I'm positive at least a couple of the big boys got snookered.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 18, 2016

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Chiming in to say how great it was.

Time to relax and listen to some aybeebeeay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
That was a lot of fun. Trivia is great, and so are all of you. I think my best contribution was getting the Sabrina the Teenage Witch answer in Hour 2 or whatever for 75 points

• Locked thread