Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I guess NK throws the old Solaire = Gwyn's kid lore out the window huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If anything they should buff Miracles and Sorceries rather than nerf Pyromancies but I hold little hope of that happening.

Maybe the decision to buff greatswords across the board rather than knee jerk nerf straight swords portends good things? :v:

Calaveron posted:

So I guess NK throws the old Solaire = Gwyn's kid lore out the window huh?

Yup.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrLonghair posted:

You people need to start listening to what NPCs say and also use the talk option, that way you will understand why things happen, what they like and what they do not like. Jesus.

I know that gaining admission to the Legion is a matter of some ceremony.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Y am i beef jerky now?!

Because Yoel gave you a shitload of levels at the cost of your humanity then peaced out

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ashen One, don't forget to bring me more souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Ashen One, don't forget to bring me more souls.

Bearer, Seek, Seek, Lest

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Because Yoel gave you a shitload of levels at the cost of your humanity then peaced out

Quite the contrary.

If anything, he gave you more Humanity.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite area would definitely have to be Ithyll now as we look back at it. Although the Catacombs was very nice, Ithyll has this pristine beauty to it, and the level is really dense and interwoven. I doubt I found everything in that city, and I love how disgusting it becomes once you get underneath the pretty exterior.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

DXH posted:

Got sick of poo poo frame rates and getting kicked out of online mode during boss fights so I just ordered a 960 GTX. Any goons care to share their experience in this game with this card? I'm too poor to buy a 970 and I heard that also bizarrely suffers from stuttering issues in addition to bonfire crashes, which I have yet to suffer.

No crashes, running at Max settings. Everything is pretty flawless. Probably not 60fps at all times (not really running any programs to check), but well over 30fps.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

If anything they should buff Miracles and Sorceries rather than nerf Pyromancies but I hold little hope of that happening.

Maybe the decision to buff greatswords across the board rather than knee jerk nerf straight swords portends good things? :v:

I hope so. It was definitely the right choice with greatswords, so hopefully they'll see it the same way with magic. I'm not very hopeful for sorcery, though, given that they nerfed two already lackluster spells.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know it's probably well behind, but if some slow starters like me were having trouble with Crystal Sage I though I would share some observations that may help.

He had very little poise and stays planted while he fires at you. The purple crystal masses can't crash through the masonry in the area, but he will switch to a hard to dodge overheard homing soul mass if you stay planted, so stay in the open but actively lead his attacks into cover. Stay close enough that you can run up for a full combo which should stunlock him and force him away. Notice that there is a walkway to the back right he can't fire through that is helpful for this.

When he hits half health and teleports with a clone, just be near cover so that initial shots can be managed and the nearest clone can be dispelled (one hit) or the boss can be stun locked. It takes some situational awareness but once I started trying to manage his shots instead of full avoidance he was much easier.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I have to say, Smouldering Lake is infinitely better than Lost Izalith. It actuallyfeels like a decrepit, half destroyed ruin that's been lost to time, even though it's still pretty monotonous. It is also actually dangerous, unlike it's counterpart.

gently caress that stupid Mega Ballista though, and the Dune Reference.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yoel only gave me one level...but I was also level 104 when I spoke to him sooooo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
After finishing it, i think the biggest problem in the game was they gave you too much Estus and you could spam out too many attacks without going heavily into endurance. The only bosses that is had trouble with and had to spend time figuring out their attack patterns were Old Demon King, Nameless King and Aldritch. A lot of the others seemed well designed but having a dozen estus flasks completely overshadowed the loop of dying to avoidable stuff and coming back with more knowledge until you get the perfect run. I got hit by Princes' attacks a lot but killed it first time anyway because i could just heal through it rather than being punished for loving up so much. If they capped you out at about 7 estus a lot of the fights would be a lot better for it.

I think i enjoyed myself the most in Irithyll and the Dragon area. The main run through Irithyll was very memorable because of how hard the enemies were at the time, and the Dragon area had deadly enemies and the large lizards felt a lot more like DS1/2 enemies in that they actually had poise so i had to get a couple attacks in before dodging the counter attack, unline pretty much every enemy in DS3 that could the staggered to death as soon as you landed an attack.

Anyway, the DLC has always had the best areas/boss fights so hopefully this time it's no exception. Not sure if i'll buy it for £20 though Since for the other games i got the special editions that came with the DLC for free. I might just wait a year or two for the re-release to go on steam sale and pick it up for £10-15.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Azazell0 posted:

What's the deal with the huge, plant bear - type things in Farron keep? They do huge damage and send their magic attacks after me, if their physical strength wasn't enough.

They're weak to fire, which means you can lead them into the bonfires around the area to do a ton of damage, or you can just kill them with more conventional fire means.

Make sure you aren't trying to fight them in deep parts of the swamp. Kite them over to shore.

Mimingless posted:

I honestly don't know. They're completely terrifying and I just recently went back to kill them like 4-5 areas later and it's not like the items they were guarding were all that great! Honestly I think they'd be fine if it wasn't for most of them being in deep-swamp areas where you can't even run, as it is I just needed more projectiles. Affinity and Soul Spear as an artillery barrage is kinda scary.

Yeah, but a couple of them are holding some pretty cool items.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
when I get into Anor Londo and saw my dead giant friend not tinkering away, I was truly upset :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HnK416 posted:

gently caress that stupid Mega Ballista though, and the Dune Reference.

you can get your revenge on that ballista eventually

If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

codo27 posted:

Yoel only gave me one level...but I was also level 104 when I spoke to him sooooo

He gives you a level each time you die after being embered, but then he goes away after you get far enough in the game regardless of whether you got any levels or not

Your level is irrelevant.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

codo27 posted:

Yoel's offer of levels is tied to the hollowing stat that shows up after you die after leveling with him. Basically, die twice = new level from Yoel, so long as you don't reverse hollowing.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Do you have the miracle boosting rings? Magic of all kinds is really reliant on damage-boosting rings this time, which is a weird choice.

I think miracles are fully intended to support a melee style, even when you're at very high Faith, but they apparently own at that. And it's worth noting that "high Faith" this time means 60, not 40.

This is using BOTH the Miracle boosting rings yes. Not using Dusk Crown though.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Yoel just straight up dropped dead in my Firelink. I never took him up on his offer. Is this the end of that questline for me?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
yes

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

His pal never shows up in firelink? Pity. There's always next playthrough.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm not reading much love here for the basic fire long sword. In your SL20s and early 30s it seems to be great compared to other +2 weapons. Better than raw because the fire split damage isn't too highly reduced on most targets, and better than heavy mace/etc because you don't really have stats to benefit from scaling yet.

Anyone else really getting mileage out of elemental infusions in both pvp and pve? I'm near 40 in catacombs and only now considering upgrading or replacing my +2 fire long sword.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I really enjoyed Demons Souls, DS1, and Bloodborne but couldn't get into DS2 for some reason would I enjoy DS3? I can't quite place why I didn't enjoy DS2 but something kept me from really getting into it like I did the rest of the games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

If I really enjoyed Demons Souls, DS1, and Bloodborne but couldn't get into DS2 for some reason would I enjoy DS3? I can't quite place why I didn't enjoy DS2 but something kept me from really getting into it like I did the rest of the games.

Yes, DS2 has always been the odd one out. DS3 is more like a return to the first game with a few innovations from Bloodborne kept in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Len posted:

If you like BB you will like DS3 full stop.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fire seems mega OP, particularly against some annoying late game enemies and sections.

I got that Deep Battle Axe; is dark damage still scaled off faith and int combined?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, DS2 has always been the odd one out. DS3 is more like a return to the first game with a few innovations from Bloodborne kept in.

This isn't really true in terms of mechanics, but the general feel of movement and actions is closer to the other Miyazaki-led games, yes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Where's a good place for farming souls in the mid game (say, I've got up to aldrich)? So far I've been grabbing 7k ish souls per go from the crowd of deacons beyond the pontiff room.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm desperately trying to find a weapon better than a refined Longsword for my 40/40 quality build and I just can't.

Everything else takes more stamina for slightly more (or sometimes less?) damage, or swings way too slow for slightly more (or sometimes less) damage. Hopefully today's patch changes that a bit.

Black Knight Halberd is pretty fun and cool, but also pretty slow. I farmed up a Carthus Curved Greatsword and that seems neat, but it does barely more damage than my Longsword.
I'm going to try to get a Black Knight Greataxe today and invade with it a bit.

Basically though with enemy and player Poise the way it is, there's little reason to use slower weapons. If there were even a few more enemies that weren't stunlocked by straightsword R1 but WERE stunlocked by heavier weapons, it would feel a bit better.
I guess Ultragreatswords can poise through your attacks a bit in PVP so there's that. If you just play defensively they'll never kill you though, and you can eventually wear them down. Their best tool is the rolling R1 on most UltraGS and that's super easy to parry.

Longsword OP

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm really confused about infusion. Is it ever a good idea for pure melee people like me?

I see that I can infuse my Uchigatana with a raw gem and it looks like it will take it from 184 to 232 physical damage while slightly decreasing all of the guard absorption stats. Seems like a worthy trade, but it also looks like it KILLS the attribute bonus, so that increasing my dexterity or strength when I level up will no longer improve its stats? Is the idea to wait until the weapon is +10 before infusing it so that the attribute bonus won't matter? Is that even a thing?

I've never bothered with this stuff before because to be honest, I barely understand the stats screen beyond "leveling up makes things work better."

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game and the bosses are all a million times easier than bloodborne while also having cool gimmicks all over the place and coop isn't a weird garbage system and running out of healing when faced with a hard boss isn't a problem and even though the PVP fights are mechanically shoddy compared to DS2, at least I can just invade without dumb bullshit restricting it. Bloodborne was fun but this game destroys it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

il serpente cosmico posted:

His pal never shows up in firelink? Pity. There's always next playthrough.

Yuria only appears if you get all of the levels from Yoel. I think the cutoff is reaching the Catacombs, Yoel dies regardless of whether or not you progressed his plot at that point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrLonghair posted:

You people need to start listening to what NPCs say and also use the talk option, that way you will understand why things happen, what they like and what they do not like. Jesus.

I'm at Carthus and they still aren't saying anything new for me.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Is the Dancer's soul description implying that the Dancer is some sort of corrupted Gwynevere?

Ithiryll is all kinds of hosed up, man

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Who has a good video walkthrough of this game? I wanna see what I missed in previous areas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KillGizmo posted:

Anyone playing this on the XBox One and having horrible FPS especially during boss fights? It's pretty drat horrible. Another forum I go to says they have no problems but I find that hard to believe.

I've had nary a single slowdown or hitch at any point no matter how much junk was on screen. Try fully rebooting the bone and see if that helps?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm really confused about infusion. Is it ever a good idea for pure melee people like me?

I see that I can infuse my Uchigatana with a raw gem and it looks like it will take it from 184 to 232 physical damage while slightly decreasing all of the guard absorption stats. Seems like a worthy trade, but it also looks like it KILLS the attribute bonus, so that increasing my dexterity or strength when I level up will no longer improve its stats? Is the idea to wait until the weapon is +10 before infusing it so that the attribute bonus won't matter? Is that even a thing?

I've never bothered with this stuff before because to be honest, I barely understand the stats screen beyond "leveling up makes things work better."

Raw increases base damage but removes stat scaling completely, it is really only good for a caster who is going to be using a weapon enhancing spell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW, what rings affect pyromancy? Does the Sage Ring? I can't really tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Are the giant crystal lizards particularly resistant to sorcery, by chance? I thought I'd try out a caster last night and got stuck trying to kill that first lizard in the tutorial area for a while. Each great soul arrow was only doing 30ish damage. Even hitting all of them and running up for a visceral attack (or whatever we're calling it when you stun them with enough damage and you can get a big hit in, basically copied from BB) whenever I had the chance, I still used my entire FP bar plus the one ashen estus refill you start with and wasn't able to get it down. Or is this just the result of sorcery being so bad this time around? I don't know how people could play like this. I've pretty much always done stabbin' characters in previous games.

I know the game basically tells you 'don't fight this now' but I was able to kill it without trouble on my first character, which was a knight.