Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Would be really nice if the community ship design screen had more options for sorting/viewing submitted designs.
For example:
1) Sort/filter by size
2) Sort/filter by "has hyperdrive" or "has sinew", or sort/filter by any component, really.
3) Ability to jump more than one page forward/backward. I want to see what designs were submitted back in 2014, which I can't get to unless I hit 'next page' five million times.
4) Ability to filter out ships with non-base-game components; some designs aren't even valid due to requiring mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

silentsnack posted:

All of the youtube videos seem to start with "I barely have any idea what I'm doing after a couple of hours of playtime, haven't even touched Research but Diplomacy and Design look interesting; now watch me fumble with colonization/economy for half an hour while reading off notes I copied from the wiki" is unfortunately rather telling.

I'm guessing BMS considered at some point the amount of work it would take to make a slightly dumbed-down version that could be Baby's First Strategy Game because the somewhat overwhelming number of innovative features might have something to do with the lack of media coverage, which is probably hurting sales significantly... but how much more work would it take to split it into beginner/expert interface? Too much to be profitable? Enough to require a kickstarter and re-release?

Breaking new ground is cool and we'll probably be seeing some of these mechanics copied by other 4X games in the next few years (the Influence/cards system would lend itself well to a Crusader Kings Space Opera 'grand strategy' system, for example) but it would suck if doing too many new things at once is what kills the chances of SR3 ever coming out.

I think the thing about SR2 is that while someone who's really pro at 4x games can get this game, someone who's more casually into them(e.g., tends to build just a few military units, expands just a little bit) will get really confused by this game because in order to make really good colonies you have to expand and the networks are more about giving enemies things to attack than really management on your own, though there is a bit of that.

People tend to think space 4x and expect a moo clone so when one comes out that isn't trying to be moo2 they get confused as hell.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I am thoroughly enjoying the new fullscreen shaders.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
A new article for the expansion just went up!

Feature Highlight: Atittudes

In this article we cover the Attitude mechanic and announce the Flagship Experience/Leveling addition.

For more info, click here

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Firgof posted:

I'm only briefly familiar with Joe - are you sure that Star Ruler 2, despite being a strategy game in space, is up his alley?
He's so large I'd expect him to be the go-to review if he put one out. I've considered tossing him one before - but I'm still not sure he'd want to invest the time into it.

At least on the surface he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to spend 1-4 hours learning how to play the game before he starts crafting his opinion on it.
Maybe I'm just uninformed on Joe?

Also thanks for everyone who's sending suggestions in; keep 'em coming!

Angry Joe loved Stellaris (he did a dev preview) and that's a Paradox-game. So space strategy games aren't gonna make him recoil in horror.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Stuff+ did a series on Factorio, so complicated stuff doesnt make him balk.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright I've linked these so you can see them in full glory without any table breaking.

Most of those support ships are size 150 or larger. Except for the fighters.

The support fleet was still being built, but already the power in in the millions.

Just a closer look at the modules.

I am red. Purple, blue and orange are all my slaves. It took every drat planet I have in order for me to afford to make that and took a crapton of labor.

So many TIEs :stare:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I like Star Ruler 2 and I want you guys to succeed, which is the only reason I ask this:

What the heck is with the little tabs at the top of the screen? Their design style is straight out of a spreadsheet. And no I'm not making fun of the UI, those tabs in particular look 100% like something out of excel.

Is there any easy way they can be revisited like turning them into square buttons that you press? Or changing the functionality? It's very weird that those tabs occupy the top like that, it makes me feel like I'm playing a browser game. It's the only UI element that looks so out of place but I feel it's both really prominent and really ugly.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I like em. :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like'm too :colbert:

They're unique.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Same. I mean, I can see someone not familiar with the game dismissing it because they make it look poorly coded at first glance, but at the same time they work perfectly for what they do.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Rakthar posted:

Why are your tabs browser tabs
Well, because they are functionally the same as browser tabs; I felt that if they looked like browser tabs it would be immediately apparent what their function is in the UI.

quote:

those tabs in particular look 100% like something out of excel.
Though I'm sure this won't change your opinion of them, they're almost directly inspired by Chrome's tabs and iconography.

quote:

Is there any easy way they can be revisited like turning them into square buttons that you press? Or changing the functionality?

Like this, you mean?

(Link to the mod the image above is from)

Sure. There's already a UI mod which alters pretty much the whole interface's look. I'm not sure what you're asking about regarding changing their functionality though. What functionality of theirs would you like to change?

Firgof fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Firgof posted:

Well, because they are functionally the same as browser tabs; I felt that if they looked like browser tabs it would be immediately apparent what their function is in the UI.
Though I'm sure this won't change your opinion of them, they're almost directly inspired by Chrome's tabs and iconography.

Ok, then that's why it evoked the feel of a browser game :)

quote:

Like this, you mean?

Sure. There's already a UI mod which alters pretty much the whole interface's look. I'm not sure what you're asking about regarding changing their functionality though. What functionality of theirs would you like to change?
Yes indeed, that's what I had in mind!

In terms of 'changing their functionality' I meant if you don't want to change the shape maybe move the bar, but changing the shape doesn't seem to be an issue.

So I would suggest maybe having a toggle or defaulting them to the boxes. People that are unfamiliar with the game may glance at it and try to infer the level of quality or polish from certain elements. I believe that the chrome like tabs really misleads people as to the quality or effort in the game, as the tabs can potentially imply a lack of polish.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I have 29 more assets at minimum that need to be completed before the expansion launches (and ideally ASAP). I have very little time right now to mess with re-arting the UI, sadly.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Firgof posted:

I have very little time right now to mess with re-arting the UI, sadly.
I have 29 more assets at minimum that need to be completed before the expansion launches (and ideally ASAP).

No doubt, you guys run a lean crew and it's pretty cool the types of games you're making to boot.

The tabs thing was really a turnoff for me and kept me from buying it for a bit. I was actually guessing this was a browser game and rather than redo the UI the dev just ported the browser elements for easier navigation. :smith: That's not true of course, but that's genuinely what I thought from the screenshots.

Anyway, I hear ya on the resource constraints - to me those tabs just scream jank and if other people see it that way too, it might be something to consider changing for the expansion after this one.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Star Ruler 2 + that Alternative Balance Expansion mod (basically just adds more content) is by far my favourite space 4x game since MOO2, and I have played.. a lot of them, so I'm really looking forward to the expansion! I honestly have no idea why the game isn't more popular
Good luck with your release!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So, two quick questions:

1) Is there any "Fleets" tab or other way to figure out where all my ships are?

2) Is there away to have the AI recommend an upgraded set of designs?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

ulmont posted:

So, two quick questions:

1) Is there any "Fleets" tab or other way to figure out where all my ships are?

2) Is there away to have the AI recommend an upgraded set of designs?

1) Yes, there is a setting you can press to show all active ships on the right side of the screen, select them, zoom to them, etc.

2) No, not that I know of.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
[1] No tab, but you can click the [...] button on the right side to select what minibars you'd like to have up. Military Flagships and Civilian Flagships are options you'd probably like to see enabled if you want to keep track of the general state and position of your major assets at any given moment.

[2] Afraid not. Best we've got for that at this moment is the Community tab, where people have uploaded their own ship designs. Beyond that, if you're willing to click a few times and/or retrofit things that don't make sense there is a ship generator button in the design screen which'll spit out a new random design from the subsystems you have unlocked at that moment. You can also export/import ship designs from game to game if you find a particular favorite design.

Edit: Also, how do you cut pineapples like a badass?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Thanks.

Firgof posted:

Edit: Also, how do you cut pineapples like a badass?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/knife-skills-how-to-cut-a-pineapple.html

As a bonus, here's how to cut pineapple like a machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRmwCnc-xw

As a further aside, if any "friends" ask you how buying avatars works, lie to them.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Firgof... I broked the GUI :smith:

Completely by chance here is what a size 500k ship looks like

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Firgof... I broked the GUI :smith:

Ah, yeah that'd be my fault actually. I bet you've got Strange New Worlds enabled right now - but it's presently not functioning as it should be and so it occasionally breaks stuff.
Sorry, haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I advise disabling the mod for now.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Does the DLC/expansion have any improvements to the ship designer? I remember it was a bit tedious to build large ships with it, and the random ship generator didn't support titan hulls (it seemed to be capped at 128 modules).

Does the game still struggle with loading save games? Particularly thinking about the UI getting reset and any fleets on the move getting smeared across the galaxy.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Good luck to you with the expansion. I hope the GOG.com release isn't too far behind the Steam one.

Speaking of modding the UI is there a way to change the tooltips? Specifically I'd like to:

* Add a delay before they appear.

* Clamp them to the edge of the screen.

* Have them hold in position where they first appear instead of tracking the mouse.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Apoffys posted:

Does the DLC/expansion have any improvements to the ship designer? [...]

Does the game still struggle with loading save games? Particularly thinking about the UI getting reset and [...]

UI is now saved along with the game. Some tweaks to the ship designer [e.g. you now have a 'fill bucket' so you don't have to cut out a system to repaint it with another] but not a great deal of change.
I haven't seen my fleets/supports getting smeared in loaded games. Edit: But apparently Lucas has - he found it yesterday and fixed it. Fleets may still break up in ultra high lag situations but the savegame smear's fixed.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Speaking of modding the UI is there a way to change the tooltips? Specifically I'd like to:
[...]

Thanks. There's plenty of ways to change the tooltips. Just go edit their files! You'll find the majority of them in the "scripts/gui/overlays" folder.
I don't see any technical problems with implementing what you're wanting there - though I'm not personally sure how to get the screen width and height or the popup's x and y. I'm sure you can get them and set them though.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 18, 2016

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, that's great! Those were really the only annoying things about the game, guess I'll have to start playing again when the expansion is released.

How about titan hulls and the random ship generator though? They take ages to design manually since they're so big (especially since my designs are terrible and I have to start over a lot...), but the ship designer only generates ships with <128 hexes.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Apoffys posted:

Ok, that's great! Those were really the only annoying things about the game, guess I'll have to start playing again when the expansion is released.

How about titan hulls and the random ship generator though? They take ages to design manually since they're so big (especially since my designs are terrible and I have to start over a lot...), but the ship designer only generates ships with <128 hexes.

He's wanting to check into that getting support for varying sizes of space - but we can't make any promises about whether it will or won't change. Not sure if we have enough time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firgof posted:

I'm only briefly familiar with Joe - are you sure that Star Ruler 2, despite being a strategy game in space, is up his alley?
He's so large I'd expect him to be the go-to review if he put one out. I've considered tossing him one before - but I'm still not sure he'd want to invest the time into it.

At least on the surface he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to spend 1-4 hours learning how to play the game before he starts crafting his opinion on it.
Maybe I'm just uninformed on Joe?

Also thanks for everyone who's sending suggestions in; keep 'em coming!

He was super pumped for sword of the stars 2 before it released and was super pissed off when it was a pile of poo poo. He likes his spergy space 4Xs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
For what it's worth I really like the browser tab functionality and looks. They're browser tabs, you immediately know how they work and they let you do some cool stuff traditional 4x interfaces don't (multiple tabs of the same "type" looking at different things simultaneously or changing the layout of your UI on the fly).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My only real complaint is that I tend to hit ESC trying to get out of Design/Diplomacy/Whatever back to Galaxy and instead end up in the Menu. It'd be nice if the first ESC would escape you to the Galaxy tab and then the second would throw you into the menu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

For what it's worth I really like the browser tab functionality and looks. They're browser tabs, you immediately know how they work and they let you do some cool stuff traditional 4x interfaces don't (multiple tabs of the same "type" looking at different things simultaneously or changing the layout of your UI on the fly).

I also think the browser tab approach is very intuitive because they really do function exactly like them. I don't actually use the functionality but it's a sensible graphical decision because you know immediately how it works. It's also kind of neat that the UI can do that even though again I don't actually use it for anything.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Conot posted:

My only real complaint is that I tend to hit ESC trying to get out of Design/Diplomacy/Whatever back to Galaxy and instead end up in the Menu. It'd be nice if the first ESC would escape you to the Galaxy tab and then the second would throw you into the menu.

Pretty sure there's an option that toggles exactly that situation.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Conot posted:

You might like the Game option: "Escape Returns to Galaxy Tab". Should do what you're describing here.
For what it's worth there's also an oft-not-seen option a lot of people might enjoy called "Automatically Pause While Viewing Other Tabs".

Lots of folks feel like they have to remember to pause when they go build a ship or etc when in fact the game can do it for you.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's intuitive which is very good for communicating to a user "this has browser like functionality." I believe it also communicates "This has browser game like quality" which may be an unfortunate, and unintended consequence.

It might help if there was a way to communicate the browser like functionality while somehow just being a bit less evocative of a browser game experience.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Rakthar posted:

It might help if there was a way to communicate the browser like functionality while somehow just being a bit less evocative of a browser game experience.

I admit I'm not quite sure how to go about showing that it's got browser-like functionality without using hints of browser-like appearance.
Even the big boxes in the UI Mod suddenly lose a lot of that intuitiveness because it's no longer obvious that they're tabs until you really start messing with them.

In fact if it's the user's first launch they might feel like they broke the interface I'd wager if they held down on one of the tabs and dragged it - and it moved haha

Discussions on how to pull that off are welcome of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would hope that the game rather patently does not have browser-game like quality the minute you look at it beyond the UI, or play it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

He was super pumped for sword of the stars 2 before it released and was super pissed off when it was a pile of poo poo. He likes his spergy space 4Xs.

Yeah, I tried to find a video of him being pissed off about SotS2 to post here but couldn't find it, just his impressions of their first "fixed" upload after the release that was still bullshit.

Pretty sure he'd like Star Ruler 2.

Not sure why people think it's so hard to learn this game. Just stop thinking it's a MoO clone and go through the tutorial and it's really pretty easy to pick up and things make sense, in general anyway. :) The Diplomacy is far and away the best in any 4X I've ever played. Most games just do the boring trade/treaty window that is almost the exact same as it was in MoO days, with better graphics and possibly a few more options. I've always treated it as a boring necessity to con techs out of the AI or get the AI off my back for a while. With SR2 it's actually fun to use and has a lot of utility that directly impacts how the game plays.

If the worst happens and the studio closes I hope some other 4X game designers down the road pay attention to the diplomacy design in this game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, I tried to find a video of him being pissed off about SotS2 to post here but couldn't find it, just his impressions of their first "fixed" upload after the release that was still bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiGZZ3QDth4

He starts at the 2 minute mark :)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Re: AngryJoe since all of y'all are rather convinced that he'd like it I did send him an e-mail yesterday to gauge if he was interested.
No response back yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno it's hard for me to really say whether the game is difficult because, well, I came from SR1 which kind of was difficult to learn because there was a lot about it which was very unintuitive, not least in that it's really loving easy to build terrible ship designs without knowing it and get murdered by the really good AI.

But most of that, honestly, was removed in SR2. You have a much simpler resource system which encourages constant spending, you have an admittedly complex, in terms of possible combuinations, planetary resource system but which is not actually very difficult in terms of basic components, you have a very intuitive interface with a lot of stuff being drag and drop. Ship designing has far fewer variables and gives you clear readouts of what you're getting out of your designs, and the diplomacy stuff is basically a card battle game with effects that translate onto the main game.

I would say that it's certainly a different game in that it has systems and methods of working that are not immediately analogous to other games you've probably played but the systems are not difficult to grasp in and of themselves. If people can't figure it out then, well, frankly I think they're a bit thick. If every game has to be built entirely out of components from existing games because anything you don't already know how to use is "too hard" to learn, then it bodes poorly for the future of the genre because to be completely honest I don't like master-of-orion likes. They're kind of dull, they feel dated and I don't like a lot of their mechanics. Some of the things I like most about SR2 are the new things it adds, the diplomacy and yearly budget are both really interesting ideas and I wish more games used them.

• Locked thread