Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Warm water doesn't get your hands cleaner than cold water. It's a massive waste of energy.

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-handwashing.html

Fine you win. I thought it helped the soap work better as a surfactant to get the germs off your hands to be rinsed away with the water. I was wrong. It certainly feels nicer though.

New page desperation content edit:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jabor posted:

All the skin cells currently on the outside of your body will be gone entirely a month from now.

Cool Snapple cap fact. Too bad it's only true about 10% of your skin cells; the rest will gleefully accumulate UV damage throughout your life despite your second grade-level understanding of dermatology.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4keVOmM2P9M
It's mating season.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

theflyingexecutive posted:

Cool Snapple cap fact. Too bad it's only true about 10% of your skin cells; the rest will gleefully accumulate UV damage throughout your life despite your second grade-level understanding of dermatology.

Lol, getting pretty salty there, dude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This was pretty great, but the third loader coming in for backup makes it brilliant.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

This was pretty great, but the third loader coming in for backup makes it brilliant.

It's better if you sync it up with the "clever girl" bit from Jurassic Park.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

That poo poo turned into a loving brawl

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

Lol, getting pretty salty there, dude.

Someone told me that they could control their mood by breathing through different nostrils and that post is somehow dumber.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

You can't record this then not post the video.

I had to figure out how to download a fb vid from an private group but here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfT3H8GPFuk

"its ok just keep it at low rpm"

edit: its annoying to pull off those particular props, especially 8 of them, but there are a million ways you could work this where noone was actually at risk other than your hotel room

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 17, 2016

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

A classic high school chemistry lab safety video made better with the music of METAL CHURCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8F0fQEYLU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only heavy metal I saw in that video was the spilled mercury.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

G-III posted:

A classic high school chemistry lab safety video made better with the music of METAL CHURCH

This owns as Metal Church owns :megadeath:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bummed out that when the first one got toppled the victor didn't hit the air horn like some giant t-rex roar at the end of jurassic park

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

This needs the classic Star Trek combat song.

G-III posted:

I think that I will show this one to my students next year, when we do lab safety.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 18, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

genesplicer posted:

This needs the classic Star Trek combat song.

Got you covered.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Three-Phase posted:

I've got a tankless at work that is skin-blisteringly hot. I'm pretty sure it's more like 175F.

We have a tap that comes out at 75°C in the maintenance closet, which is about the same temp as yours. No one really knows why it's there, but our unofficial official use for it is for terrifyingly hot mop water.

However, some people have been known to use it to make their coffee when they're too lazy to wait for the kettle to boil. We call it "mop coffee".

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fantastic.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

Instead of "'no it isn't!' 'yes it is!' 'no it isn't'" level arguing, how about someone post a reference to back up their claims either way?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's more beautiful than I can ever have imagined.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Just watching it again, there is 5 of those things fighting in there. Amazing.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Mithaldu posted:

Just watching it again, there is 5 of those things fighting in there. Amazing.
I saw a sixth one sneak around the back, from the left
:killdozer::killdozer::killdozer:
:killdozer::killdozer::killdozer:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just had this one passed on to me by my brother in Alberta. A friend of his is working in some sawmill in the north of the province and just quit his job because of this incident.

So he's working for his lumber yard that's your're pretty average semi-permanent mill. The whole facility can essentially be packed up in a week and moved to another site closer to the source, as most everything is stored in, or built out of storage containers. My brother's friend used to to exploratory drilling for some company that looks for oil deposits, but he got laid off almost a year ago when oil took a hit. Both operations need people to maintain large moving parts and keep things clean so that they don't wear out, so he was able to transition to this pretty easily.

So three days ago the one conveyor that hauls the single-cut boards starts smoking at one of the bearings. Seems that the meth-heads that are 90% of the employees at this site are not so keen to grease the bearings for the conveyor (he takes care of the larger equipment, the other guys are supposed to maintain their own little sections). The guy turns off the machine, hangs an orange flag over the switch, puts a sheet of paper with, "machine being greased, don't turn on" on the door to the control panel room, goes to the breaker, turns it off, and puts one of the locks on it. He's just about to walk away when he decides to take the key out of the lock, just as a precaution.

So the guy is 15 minutes into greasing the bearings and he's gone through two tubes of grease (this is a 45' length of conveyor, with a hundred or so bearings, and they are all pretty much bone dry. He goes to the automotive supply shed to get another tube of grease to finish up. He comes back to the conveyor, takes a knee and jumps back 6' when the conveyor springs to life. He runs to the control panel and one of the meth heads has just turned it back on. He flips it off, and screams at him, "why did you turn this on?". The meth head tells him that the boss told him that a circuit probably tripped, and to turn it back on (boss is off-site and one of the meth heads radioed him saying the machine was broken). He asks the meth head why he didn't read the sign or notice the flag on the control panel. No answer, he then drags the guy to the breaker panel and asks him how he turned it back on? The guy picks up the lock out of the garbage, which has obviously been sawed.

He walked off the job right there and then, as he knew he was pretty much living on borrowed time around that crew.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Remember to strap your bombs well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
were i to turn a corner and see that and recognize what it was, i would probably freeze and do the low dad voice "we need to move back and away, calmly and slowly, right now."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jonny 290 posted:

were i to turn a corner and see that and recognize what it was, i would probably freeze and do the low dad voice "we need to move back and away, calmly and slowly, right now."

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Jusupov posted:

Remember to strap your bombs well

Jonny 290 posted:

"So... how many courics is this?"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jesus christ, that is a hell of a story. Since he's quitting anyhow, he should get OSHA on their rear end instead of just running away.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gorilla Salad posted:

We have a tap that comes out at 75°C in the maintenance closet, which is about the same temp as yours. No one really knows why it's there, but our unofficial official use for it is for terrifyingly hot mop water.

However, some people have been known to use it to make their coffee when they're too lazy to wait for the kettle to boil. We call it "mop coffee".

The lab I work in has signs saying "non-potable water" on all taps and I wonder if there's actually anything unsafe about the water or if they just want to discourage eating and drinking around chemicals and radioisotopes.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mithaldu posted:

Jesus christ, that is a hell of a story. Since he's quitting anyhow, he should get OSHA on their rear end instead of just running away.
I'd put even money on the fact he didn't quit but was fired when he complained because he wasn't supposed to be working on that machine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BattleMaster posted:

The lab I work in has signs saying "non-potable water" on all taps and I wonder if there's actually anything unsafe about the water or if they just want to discourage eating and drinking around chemicals and radioisotopes.
You need fairly strict administrative controls in place to call a water line potable without taking responsibility for poisonings in a setting where you can tie directly into a pipe or hook some tubing up to the throat of a tap and have the nasties go through a pressure excursion and end up in the water pipe.

Normal set up is to have one tie into the city water with a backflow preventer and now you have an industrial water supply that is 99% likely to just be potable but if poo poo goes down you aren't crossing the streams with the drinking fountain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BattleMaster posted:

If there aren't things like backflow preventers and such on all the taps, there very well could be a situation where some horrible chemical 3 benches down gets sucked up into the line unknowingly. Legalese, basically, i'm sure the water's nominally fine, it's just that if it's not fine, you're looking at more than a tummyache.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The sanitation section of OSHA 1910 talks about back flow stoppers to protect potable water. Also talks about maintaining potable water systems which could suck a mountain of dicks for a site's entire water system.

Also don't eat/drink in laboratory space with nasty chemicals. I don't even touch anything ungloved at the work benches.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mithaldu posted:

It might have resulted in the company getting a fine and the hacksaw guy getting canned. He'd still be working with a bunch of methheads with little to no reasoning skills. The mill follows all the OSHA standards apparently, it's just the average employee is a moron who is 99.999% focussed on their next score of whatever drug tickles their fancy, so all the lockouts, barriers, flags, and safety courses don't mean much.

Darkhold posted:

I'd put even money on the fact he didn't quit but was fired when he complained because he wasn't supposed to be working on that machine.

No, he quit. He is certified/allowed to service pretty much every piece of equipment they have on site (except vehicles) so this was well within his job requirements, but simple stuff like this is expected to be be done by the different operators. So if some guy is working a de-barker, he's expected to grease it and change teeth, and call my brother's friend when something bigger happens. The only operators that are not expected to grease/maintain their own equipment are the sawmill (actual bandsaw operators) as they are expensive as hell and a little more involved than filling up grease nipples. Since one of the bearings was smoking, this was 100% something he was supposed to take care of as per his job description.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Blistex posted:

It might have resulted in the company getting a fine and the hacksaw guy getting canned. He'd still be working with a bunch of methheads with little to no reasoning skills. The mill follows all the OSHA standards apparently, it's just the average employee is a moron who is 99.999% focussed on their next score of whatever drug tickles their fancy, so all the lockouts, barriers, flags, and safety courses don't mean much.

No, he quit. He is certified/allowed to service pretty much every piece of equipment they have on site (except vehicles) so this was well within his job requirements, but simple stuff like this is expected to be be done by the different operators. So if some guy is working a de-barker, he's expected to grease it and change teeth, and call my brother's friend when something bigger happens. The only operators that are not expected to grease/maintain their own equipment are the sawmill (actual bandsaw operators) as they are expensive as hell and a little more involved than filling up grease nipples. Since one of the bearings was smoking, this was 100% something he was supposed to take care of as per his job description.

What would happen if they only hired people with a full set of teeth?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Blistex posted:

It might have resulted in the company getting a fine and the hacksaw guy getting canned. He'd still be working with a bunch of methheads with little to no reasoning skills.
No, i meant he should report them particularly BECAUSE he is quitting. His standing there doesn't matter and while a slap on the wrist is little, every little bit counts.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fyodor posted:

What would happen if they only hired people with a full set of teeth?

Probably have to pay them more? They would be less likely to work weekends as they would have friends/family they would want to visit? Have to pay them dental benefits?

Mithaldu posted:

No, i meant he should report them particularly BECAUSE he is quitting. His standing there doesn't matter and while a slap on the wrist is little, every little bit counts.

I don't know, it's up to him, I don't actually know him, this is all filtered through my brother.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Blistex posted:

No, he quit.
Fair enough. Guess I was just being too cynical.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This one's instantly giving me the queasies.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I get terrified when I see those old skyscraper construction photos and no one is tied off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Guy drives 40 miles with a live grenade in his car to turn it in to his hometown police station