Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Unsurprisingly there is no unlock for a flawless fight on the lich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Einwand posted:

Unsurprisingly there is no unlock for a flawless fight on the lich.

It has DLC painted all over it. But maybe the rumored free content updates as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gunslingers Ashes has to be one of the worst guns in the game, which is weird, considering how difficult it is to unlock.
I tried to give it a chance, but it does absolutely pitiful damage.

If anyone has managed to actually use this gun effectively, feel free to share.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It may not be the 'greatest' but i found one of the most fun combos i've had with the fossilized gun and hazmat suit.

Everything is fire and only fire lives in the gungeon.

E. if you haven't unlocked it yet the fossilized gun shoots a stream of gasoline everywhere which does damage when it hits, and the reload shoots a burst of flame. You can coat an entire room in gas for very little ammo and ignite it. I found it very troublesome before i got fire immunity item, because it's so easy to coat so much of the room in gas that there is no where safe to step since fire spreads to any gas you do or shoot as it goes

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 18, 2016

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sloober posted:

E. if you haven't unlocked it yet the fossilized gun shoots a stream of gasoline everywhere which does damage when it hits, and the reload shoots a burst of flame. You can coat an entire room in gas for very little ammo and ignite it. I found it very troublesome before i got fire immunity item, because it's so easy to coat so much of the room in gas that there is no where safe to step since fire spreads to any gas you do or shoot as it goes

Would that work on enemies like the Bullet King, who seems to be able to float over my molotov circles?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bill NYSE posted:

Would that work on enemies like the Bullet King, who seems to be able to float over my molotov circles?

Nope.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Flyers are immune to ground fx sadly, so you do have to bust out other guns.

They should make it so you can cover flyers with gas or flammables on hit so you can set them on fire, though. You can still hit them with the fossilized gun's stream of gas so why wouldn't that let you set them on fire?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think the Bullet King is also specifically immune to being set on fire, for some reason.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Probably because he uses fire as an attack. You can shoot his little goblet/vial thing when he throws it and set it off at his feet so that'd be the go-to strategy for fast kills if he wasn't immune.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's unfortunate, because that'd be rad

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Best duct tape combos?

Mega Man arm/alien sidearm/Heroine/any chargable attack with lots of ammo + Camera

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Can you just do cactus + hexagun for a 1000-ammo hexagun?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
You'd have to reload after every individual shot of cactus but yeah. Clip sizes for each gun still exist.

That said, RPG + crossbow would be pretty good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One day I want to get the Yari Launcher onto something with actual ammo capacity, like the Heck Blaster or Cactus. Shame it's so rare, I've only ever found it twice.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Best duct tape combos?

Mega Man arm/alien sidearm/Heroine/any chargable attack with lots of ammo + Camera

Worst duct tape combo, when you try to use it on the last gun in your list it does nothing.

I should have just picked up and dropped guns until I got the combo I wanted I'm not sure what I was thinking would happen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just found a secret room because of a gun dropped by a mimic bouncing through the wall.

Edit: Also, the Napalm Strike might be mediocre, but the Air Strike is really drat good. Charges fairly fast, too.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 18, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Beam weapons are good for kb+m bad for controller. Controller is superior in every other way though.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Beam weapons are good for kb+m bad for controller. Controller is superior in every other way though.

The majority of beam weapons aren't great period regardless of accuracy.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the prehistoric gun has surprisingly good contact damage as well as the burn it all bonus. it also has my favorite description in the game

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

the prehistoric gun has surprisingly good contact damage as well as the burn it all bonus. it also has my favorite description in the game

Eh, i wasn't terribly impressed with the contact damage - felt no different from gamma ray gun and the ray gun at least poisons.

It's just really impressive to literally set the entire room on fire in about 5 seconds. Comes with a shitload of ammo too. Probably enough to burn out two floors of the gungeon without a restock.

I started using it and thought what kind of dumb rear end gun is this, shoots a big water stream. Then i reloaded and a huge burst of fire shot out and ignited the entire room.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do water streams or beams damage secret walls just as fast a bullet. Even if it just cracks a little that is enough to just spray all the walls knowing you checked.

Tip about secret rooms is that I have found a ton either to left or right of a treasure room.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
A lot are connected to treasure rooms and shrine rooms I've noticed.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Should I be concerned that I haven't really tried the other characters besides the Convict? I feel like the free secondary plus a throwable has made the first two chambers a little easier on myself.

edit: also, I tried the Pilot's lockpick on a chest and it broke and wouldn't let me use the key I had. :mad:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Bill NYSE posted:

Should I be concerned that I haven't really tried the other characters besides the Convict? I feel like the free secondary plus a throwable has made the first two chambers a little easier on myself.

edit: also, I tried the Pilot's lockpick on a chest and it broke and wouldn't let me use the key I had. :mad:

The hunter crossbow will one-shot a lot of early enemies, it's been my go-to lately.

I do like the pilot too, if you end up breaking the chest you can always shoot the chest and sell the junk that pops out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bill NYSE posted:

No, the characters all play the same excpet for starting perks. Though once you beat it you might as well beat it with the others.

I'm getting better at this game but I still hope they do something about ammo so I can use all the cool guns reliably as I get good. How about a muncher that turns any gun into ammo?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Knightmare posted:

The hunter crossbow will one-shot a lot of early enemies, it's been my go-to lately.

I do like the pilot too, if you end up breaking the chest you can always shoot the chest and sell the junk that pops out.

wait how do you sell the junk?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The grate monster that sometimes shows up in shops will buy things you drop on it (open the map to drop items) for a few shells.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Bill NYSE posted:

Look at the lockpick as potentially getting something that normally you wouldn't since you ran out of keys. So basically only use it on brown chests, which generally don't have drops worth the key, or after you cleared the floor and still have no keys. Then if the chest breaks and you have to blow it open you can at least say you tried.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Bear in mind the Lockpick has to recharge so you can't just leave everything unlocked until the end.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Drone Incognito posted:

Look at the lockpick as potentially getting something that normally you wouldn't since you ran out of keys. So basically only use it on brown chests, which generally don't have drops worth the key, or after you cleared the floor and still have no keys. Then if the chest breaks and you have to blow it open you can at least say you tried.

Lockpick is why I started with the pilot. Free keys!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm gonna stream some of this game, working on killing the marine's past and unlocking the robot. Depending on luck I may not accomplish either! Feel free to come yell at me about what I'm doing wrong all the time.

Edit: Got the marine end and unlocked the bullet, doing something else now.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 19, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
What the living gently caress is this room? I tried to enter it - twice - and I walked in, dimmed the screen, took a half heart of damage and was forced out again.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

orangelex44 posted:

What the living gently caress is this room? I tried to enter it - twice - and I walked in, dimmed the screen, took a half heart of damage and was forced out again.

That's the black market. It has one of every merchant in it, but it'll only let you in if you have any levels of curse (by picking up cursed items) or if you have 100 casings on-hand, I believe

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

The majority of beam weapons aren't great period regardless of accuracy.

The Proton Pack and Moonscraper are both pretty good.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Power of Pecota posted:

The Proton Pack and Moonscraper are both pretty good.

I think the beam weapons are all generally alright. The "bad" ones are the laser-shot weapons, I have yet to have one that feels like more than a starter pistol with piercing. Sniper guns are loving awesome, they're my favorite gun type without a doubt.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Discovering auto-reload makes the game much easier. I'm sure a bunch of you already know, but for those who don't:

Guns besides the one you're currently shooting will reload themselves if left alone for as long as it would take to reload them manually.

Your most recent two guns are also tagged for quick-swap via (Y).

This allows you to shoot a lot more. For example, fire the crossbow, then switch to the hunter's pistol, and by the time you're done shooting that, the crossbow is already loaded so you can immediately swap and shoot again.

This means that even crappy low-level guns that aren't any better than the starter pistol still enormously increase your damage output, since you can swap between them while shooting continuously.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Have any good strategies for using keys or otherwise fighting the game's desire to give you nothing emerged? I'm trying to get the primer downstairs and I keep skidding to a halt around the fourth floor because it's easy to go floors without seeing keys or ammo.

Can you finish that challenge using the random gun enchantment? I might just drop the credits and do it that way if so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I basically never use a key on wooden chests, and try to always have 1-2 keys before going to the next floor. Shop items get more expensive each floor increase so that means buying them before you go down the elevator.

It won't keep the game from loving you over with attrition for no other reason than because it hates fun, but I have had slightly fewer runs like that since I started doing this.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Contest Winner posted:

Have any good strategies for using keys or otherwise fighting the game's desire to give you nothing emerged? I'm trying to get the primer downstairs and I keep skidding to a halt around the fourth floor because it's easy to go floors without seeing keys or ammo.

Can you finish that challenge using the random gun enchantment? I might just drop the credits and do it that way if so.

Use a decoy or chaff grenades or something and steal the primer from the shop. I've done it a couple of times but died before the fifth floor on all of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

You can complete any challenge or unlock with the random gun enchantment, and it definitely makes the key/shell gathering quests for the elevator or the primer a lot easier to accomplish (as well as making the trip itself more fun). The only thing that becomes harder to unlock with the random gun enchantment is, funnily enough, the hegemoney requirements for the elevator shortcuts.