Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Rhyno posted:

DC really, REALLY wanted JD to be the next Harley Quinn and they were really close to giving her a hard push. Supposedly there are two completed issues of a canceled JD ongoing series sitting in a drawer somewhere by an unnamed creative team.

They should do another cancelled comics cavalcade. a trade every few years would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I don't understand that at all. Not only is Harley still making them a buttload of money but why would you just take another crazy girl version of the same loving villain and expect it to take off?

I guess because they're trying to shift Harley into being Deadpoolan antihero, they felt they just had to have a clown themed female character who's a villain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I don't understand that at all. Not only is Harley still making them a buttload of money but why would you just take another crazy girl version of the same loving villain and expect it to take off? Maybe give a Superman villain or one of Flash's rogues a Harley of their own and see what happens but christ don't just give us the Big Lots version of Harley.

TwoPair posted:

I guess because they're trying to shift Harley into being Deadpoolan antihero, they felt they just had to have a clown themed female character who's a villain.

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick. DC wanted their own Carnage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick. DC wanted their own Carnage.

Isn't their Carnage just the Joker?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Zsasz?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Does this make Harley Quinn into Venom: Lethal Protector in this analogy? Paging Dr. Gavok to the thread...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

TwoPair posted:

Does this make Harley Quinn into Venom: Lethal Protector in this analogy? Paging Dr. Gavok to the thread...

This is what I meant, Harley's an anti-hero now so they need a new HQ. Just like what they did with Venom.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick.

We'll always have that one-shot where she kills like 30 children :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And just like Carnage JD was edgy for edginess sake. The analogy works.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jokers Daughter would be great if she was a comedy villain for the Teen Titams. That would take DC realizing the Teen Titans should be a fun book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Good thing Damian Wayne is the king of fun!

E: Everyone's reading Batman/TMNT, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 16, 2016

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I''ve been reading through new 52 batman and nightwing.

And I had read that damian wayne was supposed to die at some point during the new 52 continuity.

I was fully expecting this to happen during death of the family...but then it ended, no one died (in the batman trade).

So I switch it up and decide to move on to Nightwing...and damian's dead in #18, which is in the 'death of the family' trade for nightwing.

That's confusing.

I'm confused.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They let his author dad Grant Morrison kill him in Batman Incorporated.
Peter Tomasi's Batman and Robin was the only other Batman comic that really cared about it after one issue. As you know, Snyder practically never used him.

e: Snyder's Batman had an aftermath issue, but they shifted it to trade #6 with a few other one-shot story issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 16, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

They let his author dad Grant Morrison kill him in Batman Incorporated.
Peter Tomasi's Batman and Robin was the only other Batman comic that really cared about it after one issue. As you know, Snyder practically never used him.

e: Snyder's Batman had an aftermath issue, but they shifted it to trade #6 with a few other one-shot story issues.

That silent issue of B&R was so well done. I love B&R so much more than Snyder's standalone Batman title. Even during Death and the Family it felt like the book with the most horror elements to it, but also brought about the most human elements to Bruce and Damian. Plus all the art in that run was super badass. Starting from after Morrison's run on B&R with Quietly. poo poo all of Batman and Robin is great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Good thing Damian Wayne is the king of fun!

E: Everyone's reading Batman/TMNT, right?

Best Bat book right now!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Bleeding Cool

quote:

I understand that the DC Rebirth titles have a two year story arc that all books will be a part of, to varying degrees.

Masterminded by DC CCO Geoff Johns, it will begin with DC Universe: Rebirth #1 in May and conclude in the summer of 2018.

Geoff Johns has been having meetings with all the DC Rebirth writers to better align their work with this plan, and to weave plotlines in and out of all the titles.

There have also been examples when DC co-Publisher has laid out plans with a writer, only for Geoff Johns to scotch them all and tell the writer to ignore everything DiDio just said.

You know DC said they were bringing back Continuity? You don’t now the half of it. As long as everyone gets along, that is…

A Two year arc!? Ugh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just like Pandora last time!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh boy, a two year plotline, just in time for the next continuity reboot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Thirding or whatever my love of an editorially mandated multi-year storyline.

Why did Rucka come back to put up with that poo poo again?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was a big part in setting up Infinite Crisis. Maybe it's fun :)

HitTheTargets posted:

Were Forever Evil, Trinity War, and Darkseid War two year arcs? Because they sure felt like it.

If you count it all as one Earth 3 League thing, it'll be just about three years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Were Forever Evil, Trinity War, and Darkseid War two year arcs? Because they sure felt like it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

HitTheTargets posted:

This was actually one of the things I liked about the New 52. It started with a Darkseid invasion and ends with a War against him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Veg posted:

This was actually one of the things I liked about the New 52. It started with a Darkseid invasion and ends with a War against him.

I don't think thats how it works. They just decided to kill Darkseid. Apparently for good despite having done very little with him during this reboot.

I feel like what they have done with Darkseid is underwhelming for the character who is pretty much the biggest villain DC has.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'for good', huh?
They've actually done quite a bit with the Fourth World and Darkseid short of giving them their own series (e: well, not counting Forever People.)

Jiro posted:

:stonk:

No! Nononononononononono Not again! Johns was the main instigator of that poo poo event. It's probably at two years because they're finally taking in precautions for art delays and last minute plot changes that will be mandated by WB higher ups. For fucks sake can they please stop having Johns be the head of these massive mandated shifts and reboots?

Just sayin' the Countdown to Infinite crisis one-shot, checkmate and OMAC stuff was real good!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 17, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was a big part in setting up Infinite Crisis. Maybe it's fun :)

Infinite Crisis

Infinite Crisis

Infinite Crisis

Infinite Crisis

:stonk:

No! Nononononononononono Not again! Johns was the main instigator of that poo poo event. It's probably at two years because they're finally taking in precautions for art delays and last minute plot changes that will be mandated by WB higher ups. For fucks sake can they please stop having Johns be the head of these massive mandated shifts and reboots?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Bringing back the continuity? I thought DC reboot was going to loosen up on continuity, even having some kind of comic with Stargirl as a continuity police squad. What's going on there?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was last year's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Infinite Crisis was a good and led to a revival of a number of DC properties and ideas that all turned out good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Infinite Crisis, the seven issue mini, can best be described as that unfinished splash page in #7 that didn't have time to be colored. There's a lot of stuff in it, what is there was competently done, but it blurs together as a really forgettable mess that just sits there on the page.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

HitTheTargets posted:

Infinite Crisis, the seven issue mini, can best be described as that unfinished splash page in #7 that didn't have time to be colored. There's a lot of stuff in it, what is there was competently done, but it blurs together as a really forgettable mess that just sits there on the page.

The biggest misstep with that splash page was that it was only a splash page. The battle of Metropolis should have had an issue to itself. It was supposed to be a giant all out brawl and was a letdown.

That is my only complaint with IC. It was an enjoyable event. Countdown to, the lead in minis, and the spin off series and minis for the most part were all good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The biggest misstep with that splash page was that it was only a splash page. The battle of Metropolis should have had an issue to itself. It was supposed to be a giant all out brawl and was a letdown.

That is my only complaint with IC. It was an enjoyable event. Countdown to, the lead in minis, and the spin off series and minis for the most part were all good.

Absolutely nothing in any of the books that had "Countdown" in the title were good at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Despite Johns' tenure on GL being what got me back into comics, I don't trust the current Johns to be able to handle a long term storyline. Through the whole N52 he kept introducing plot elements here and there that were never really followed upon (that shadowy guy at the end of his Superman run, the whole thing with Vibe) or took directions widely different to their original setup (Forever Evil, Pandora, Grail) I want to think this is mainly to his focus being elsewhere but is undeniable he has making things up as he goes, so the idea of having this huge storyline spanning the whole line will impact negatively on every book to some degree.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely nothing in any of the books that had "Countdown" in the title were good at all.

I really liked Countdown to Infinite Crisis, even though it killed off my lifelong favorite character. I thought he got a great sendoff and a heroic, moving death, which is more than most DC C-listers get.

I also liked Gail Simone's Villains United miniseries a lot, and thought her Secret Six series that followed never hit any of those same heights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I really liked Countdown to Infinite Crisis, even though it killed off my lifelong favorite character. I thought he got a great sendoff and a heroic, moving death, which is more than most DC C-listers get.

I also liked Gail Simone's Villains United miniseries a lot, and thought her Secret Six series that followed never hit any of those same heights.

Villians United, Day of Vengeance, Rann/Thanagar and OMAC all had "Prelude" on the cover and are thus exempt from Countdown suckage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I'm not talking about the lovely sequel to 52. That was a terrible book.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not talking about the lovely sequel to 52. That was a terrible book.

That was 52 done right

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

(Looks at the comics that had the Jokester in it.)
:(

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 17, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
IC gave us SuperBoyMan Prime. That almost redeems the aftermath of it all.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

IC gave us SuperBoyMan Prime. That almost redeems the aftermath of it all.

He was really insufferable in IC and was given better characterization during Sinestro Corps War. And better motivation. Villains United and Day of Vengeance were SO good. Villains United even had a great final final issue showing all these street level and stronger b and c list heroes making GBS threads their collective pants at the sight of a strolling Doomsday. None of that was there in Infinite Crisis, it was also Villain's United that made Alexander Luthor an interesting character. IC he just gets loving ganked by the Joker, but not before he makes a galactic goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It looks like Super-Man's name has been changed to sound a little less Japanese now.