Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
something that irrationally irritates me are sound effects. 1 specific thing are SHING sounds. They are everywhere once you notice it. It is perfectly parodied in Childs Play when he picks up a hammer and it goes SHING.

SHING snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Michael Jackson posted:

something that irrationally irritates me are sound effects. 1 specific thing are SHING sounds. They are everywhere once you notice it. It is perfectly parodied in Childs Play when he picks up a hammer and it goes SHING.

SHING snype

This is up there with the shotgun *chook chook* noise that is used for every single gun ever. Including a double barrel shotgun in an episode of NCIS i believe? But has also been parodied to death in some rather humours ways elsewhere so at least some people are aware of bad foley artists.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bobkatt013 posted:

Monkeybone is such a great movie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was kinda peeved that War Machine in Age of Ultron didn't have the big loving glowing club that his Hot Toys figure had.

It looked like it'd be pretty cool, and I was looking forward to him baseball smashing some ultron drones but nope.

Also, apparently we made Netflix start recommending movies cause the first thing that popped up when I started it today? Mummy Returns.

He has the club in Civil War, not Ultron.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

dpack_1 posted:

This is up there with the shotgun *chook chook* noise that is used for every single gun ever. Including a double barrel shotgun in an episode of NCIS i believe? But has also been parodied to death in some rather humours ways elsewhere so at least some people are aware of bad foley artists.

This trope is the basis of my favorite - very brief, but perfectly-timed - scene in the Scary Movie franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuooxKRfyg

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Patattack posted:

This trope is the basis of my favorite - very brief, but perfectly-timed - scene in the Scary Movie franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuooxKRfyg

The hardest I've ever laughed in a theatre was in that same scene when Mahalik decapitates the alien and goes " I found their weakness. They're powerless without their heads!". Underrated as hell

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My irrationally irritating thing is that Leslie Nielsen was wasted in Scary Movie 3. He needed more screen time.

Also, why are scary movie 1,2,4, and 5 all terrible / don't hold up, but 3 has some legitimately great scenes.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My irrationally irritating thing is that Leslie Nielsen was wasted in Scary Movie 3. He needed more screen time.

Also, why are scary movie 1,2,4, and 5 all terrible / don't hold up, but 3 has some legitimately great scenes.

Well I was gonna say it's because 3 was directed by David Zucker (writer/director of Airplane!, Top Secret!, Police Squad, The Naked Gun series, etc), but apparently he also directed 4 and wrote/produced 5, so that makes the argument a little less powerful. Although, I haven't seen 4 or 5, so I'm just taking you at your word that they're not great.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The original was okay because at that point everyone was sick of Scream 7/I Know What You Did 10 Summers Ago/other slasher flims im forgetting.
Also a hot girl getting stabbed in the boob and her implant falling out was peak comedy in middle school.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
4 was basically a "Epic movie" level of movie where instead of jokes and gags it was just references to Dr. Phil and I-Pods with the "LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!" Dude. loving hell, what a dip in quality after 3.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dpack_1 posted:

This is up there with the shotgun *chook chook* noise that is used for every single gun ever. Including a double barrel shotgun in an episode of NCIS i believe?

Worse. The Wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm1Wih0kug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

He has the club in Civil War, not Ultron.

Oh, poo poo. Ok. I'm less irritated now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Febreeze posted:

Brendan Frasier deserved a better career.

This is a good point. I'd forgotten about him but he was really good in Blast From the Past, School Ties and Gods & Monsters. I even liked Airheads. But man did he do a lot of lovely films.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has a 10 second cameo in GI Joe for some reason.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a good point. I'd forgotten about him but he was really good in Blast From the Past, School Ties and Gods & Monsters. I even liked Airheads. But man did he do a lot of lovely films.

There was an interview where he was asked why he did so many lovely movies, and he said "kids aren't cheap."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

dpack_1 posted:

i remember seeing some terrible sci-fi show that did this--with an AK-47--and the guy actually acted like he was pumping the foregrip.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BiggerBoat posted:

Excuse me, sir, but are you referring to Encino Man as a lovely film? How dare you.

I haven't actually seen Encino Man in 25 years, but I remember thinking it was fun back then.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

10 Beers posted:

I haven't actually seen Encino Man in 25 years, but I remember thinking it was fun back then.

I call this the "The Mummy Returns Syndrome"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rydiafan posted:

There was an interview where he was asked why he did so many lovely movies, and he said "kids aren't cheap."

I can confirm that, but you are not seeing me make lovely movies because of it. I'd even go so far as to claim that Frasier could make more money if he did good movies.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Brendan Fraser is a poor man's Nathan Fillion.

except in Encino Man. That movie ruled.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Encino Man is amazing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always kinda wanted him to play Hal Jordan in a Green Lantern movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Monkey Bone wasn't that bad.

Right?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It's got some cult following to it. It's definitely got some creativity behind it, which I appreciate.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'd always heard it that he decided to only take roles that he thought his kids would love (stuff like Inkheart) as he wanted to be a better role model. Being box office poison makes a bit more sense, though sad. He did some good poo poo before it all fell apart.

Loved him on Scrubs, though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I can confirm that, but you are not seeing me make lovely movies because of it.

How many chances have you had?

It's easy for us to say "what were they thinking?". But if you offered me $10,000,000 I'd sure as hell star in Mortdecai.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mortanis posted:

Loved him on Scrubs, though.

Too soon. :qq:

RIP in peace Ben.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Where do you think we are?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He has a 10 second cameo in GI Joe for some reason.

Because the first one was directed by Stephen Sommers and I guess they're friends?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I preferred Brendan's cameo in Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Supernatural Season 10. The brothers have both been to hell, heaven, stopped the apocalypse, killed Death, and done all sorts of other ridiculous power creepy things. But Frankensteins? Those can't be real!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

rydiafan posted:

How many chances have you had?

It's easy for us to say "what were they thinking?". But if you offered me $10,000,000 I'd sure as hell star in Mortdecai.

Don't loving mention Mortdecai. They took a hilarious book (Don't Point That Thing At Me) which would have made a great movie, and churned out a steaming pile of crap. Reverse Midas touch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Brendan Fraser is a poor man's Nathan Fillion.

I think of him more along the lines of Nic Cage for some reason. Good actor, been good in some good movies, been in a lot of poo poo movies, decent looking enough, versatile in ways...Wasn't Frasier at one time considered to play Batman? I can kind of sort of see it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I think of him more along the lines of Nic Cage for some reason. Good actor, been good in some good movies, been in a lot of poo poo movies, decent looking enough, versatile in ways...Wasn't Frasier at one time considered to play Batman? I can kind of sort of see it.

I think he does a really good job at the charming scoundrel, which is totally hot right now

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Zootopia explanation : Towards the end of the movie the Farmer Dad (cannot recall his name) says something to the effect of "I use em to keep the bugs off the produce", that's why they grow em.

are furries big into non gmo food?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

He isn't taken seriously but then he's never really given anyone a reason to do so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

He isn't taken seriously but then he's never really given anyone a reason to do so.

Watch Gods and Monsters

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Supernatural Season 10. The brothers have both been to hell, heaven, stopped the apocalypse, killed Death, and done all sorts of other ridiculous power creepy things. But Frankensteins? Those can't be real!

The angels thing I can understand. They didn't believe they were real because books and poo poo specifically said they weren't. But, yeah, after that the books go out the window.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Gods and Monsters

Yeah, Gods and Monsters is excellent and he holds his own considering he's acting alongside Sir Ian McKellan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

I call this the "The Mummy Returns Syndrome"

I call it the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off Syndrome"

What I'm saying is that unless you're still 16, Ferris Bueller's Day off is a bad movie. And you're not 16 any more.