Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kalensc posted:

Question about banner festivals:

In late-June (approx.) we're anticipating a Burst Soul Break festival yes? And then in perhaps September, the most recent JP festival (Double Burst? W-Burst?) is expected to occur?

I'm looking ahead to figure what I'm saving for and the BSB and W-Burst stuff is hard to parse. Is the difference just about more Burst relics of greater quality (power creep) being available in the W-Burst event?

W-Burst festival has two Burst relics, and the rest of the relics on the banner are all SSBs (at double rate, too). It's basically the start of a much improved banner standard. There isn't necessarily a power creep either - of the new relics in W-Burst, the only notable one is Beatrix's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Orfeo posted:

Yuffie's not a bad choice for me, especially since I have her 4-point Shuriken ready and waiting! Thanks!

Yuffie is actually the last Medica on a non-healer for a long time. The Wutai Headband doesn't show up on the next 7 banners, and the Grand Armor is the only Tactics relic not to reappear in the Tactics banner.

They'll probably be in BSBfest (but not W-Burst since that's all SSBs or BSBs), but the next non festival one is Ashe's SSB (Lightning/Non-Elemental AoE and heals for 25%) in the Gabranth Banner.

After that is Ramza's Grand Armor in the just released Tyro's Selection Banner, and who knows if that will be the same.

Edit: Heavy Regen on non-mages is Sazh's Marvelous Time (Protect + MAG +20%) in the XIII-2 event and Greg's Faithful Companion in his event (although odds are you'd be pulling on his BSB banner instead).

Edit2: Kuja 2 is the only banner with two Hastega's on it if you need that too.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 18, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ApplesandOranges posted:

W-Burst festival has two Burst relics, and the rest of the relics on the banner are all SSBs (at double rate, too). It's basically the start of a much improved banner standard. There isn't necessarily a power creep either - of the new relics in W-Burst, the only notable one is Beatrix's.

I know it's looking very far ahead, but depending on how well a person is doing versus the [U], [U]+, and Cid's content, would someone consider spending light on BSSBFest in order to keep saving towards W-Burst with the multi-BSSBs and improved rate distribution?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Welp 3/22 on relm 2, but only got kefka cloak, oath veil, and thief bracers. On one hand, needed the armor pretty bad. But I wanted the celes sword or horn a lot more :(

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm low on 4* Holy Orbs, but do have about 60 Major Holy Orbs. I'm tempted to take Alexander to R3, perhaps R4, for this boss and future Holy-weak content (and White Mage Nightmare?) but is the opportunity cost too great versus Diaga and Saint's Cross and other skills that use Holy Orbs?

Note that my A-Team runs Garnet and Aerith as a Summoning/Healing/Diaga'ing duo with their Divine Guardian and Planet Protector SBs, so having honed 4* Summons is more useful to me than most I think. Have Valefor at R4 and Ifrit/Shiva at R5, never honed any other damage-dealing summons.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Catching up to the FFVI bonus battles and got absolutely caught off guard with Ultros countering fire spells with firaga. Basically scrubbed my attempt right there because I'd planned on Terra doing heavy lifting in both battles with firaja/firaga and blood of espers.

Is there another black spell to use against him? Or just go physical?

Does he counter fire in both battles, or just the first? How about Typhon? Was just gonna waterja him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Erdricks posted:

Welp 3/22 on relm 2, but only got kefka cloak, oath veil, and thief bracers. On one hand, needed the armor pretty bad. But I wanted the celes sword or horn a lot more :(

:qq: OH WOE IS ME, I ONLY GOT A HASTEGA+FAITHGA RELIC PLUS TWO MORE 5* ON 22 DRAWS :qq:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pander posted:

Catching up to the FFVI bonus battles and got absolutely caught off guard with Ultros countering fire spells with firaga. Basically scrubbed my attempt right there because I'd planned on Terra doing heavy lifting in both battles with firaja/firaga and blood of espers.

Is there another black spell to use against him? Or just go physical?

Does he counter fire in both battles, or just the first? How about Typhon? Was just gonna waterja him.

He only counters in the first battle, and he counters fire, ice, and lightning damage. You can use non-elemental or dark-based magic on him; but he absorbs water, so don't try that. The AI threads on Reddit are good for finding out how the bosses work: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4eecoc/sketching_miracles_enemy_stats_and_ai/

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kalensc posted:

I know it's looking very far ahead, but depending on how well a person is doing versus the [U], [U]+, and Cid's content, would someone consider spending light on BSSBFest in order to keep saving towards W-Burst with the multi-BSSBs and improved rate distribution?

I'm not planning to spend anything on the June BSB festival, preferring instead to save for Delita's, Raines's, and Gilgamesh's banners and W-Burst. If there's an amazing BSB fest banner with everything I could possibly want on it, I may move the mythril from the Delita banner to there, but I'm working under the assumption that there won't be.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My Chardanook strategy seems to have hit an unexpected bug in that Ifrit doesn't do any damage to him. Like the animation goes through but no damage is registered.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My Chardanook strategy seems to have hit an unexpected bug in that Ifrit doesn't do any damage to him. Like the animation goes through but no damage is registered.

The same is true for Valefor. Alexander does work, for the record. I had that same issue and had to retreat and spend another 60 stamina because of it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It should be doing damage? There's a known bug with summons on Chadarnook where their text appears offscreen (if it appears at all), but I haven't heard about Ifrit not working.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I've heard reports that the damage numbers from summons are only partially visible in the upper-left corner of the screen or something, but that they still do damage.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

kalensc posted:

Question about banner festivals:

In late-June (approx.) we're anticipating a Burst Soul Break festival yes? And then in perhaps September, the most recent JP festival (Double Burst? W-Burst?) is expected to occur?

I'm looking ahead to figure what I'm saving for and the BSB and W-Burst stuff is hard to parse. Is the difference just about more Burst relics of greater quality (power creep) being available in the W-Burst event?

After my horrid luck on the FFT banner, I’ve created some rules for how I spend my mithril:

1) No more then 1-11 pull per non-fest banner
2) No more then 2-11 pulls per fest banner
3) No more then 4-11 pulls total per festival
4) Pull on every lucky banner
5) No 3-pulls
6) No 1 pulls on a banner
7) No gem pulls (it’s just not worth it)
8) Spend at least 25 mithril on refreshes during orbfest
9) Spend no more than 100 mithril refreshes during orbfest
10) Freely spend the mithril on refreshes during orbfest at the expense of banners
Based on these I estimate I will spend a total of 225 to 325 during the next festival depending on how much time I can spend playing during the next fest. That pretty easy to save up for in 3 months time.

Do we every get a ++ level stage during orbfest?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just used Magic Breakdown and SG to tank the Ultros magic counters. Bring Shell too if you want.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I shattered Doppelblade and it gave me all kinds of goodies. So. Is Barrage worth making? It looks pretty good, but on the other hand, it needs 10 major power orbs -- and so does Full Break, which I'm only two Major Lightning orbs away from.

Similarly, is Drainga useful? Seems like it'd help -- lets a BLM self-heal and do non elem damage, but maybe it hits weakly.

There are various low level abilities I haven't used in ages but I'm reluctant to shatter, as I feel like the second I do, I'll hit on the exact opportunity where I would have needed it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

spacing in vienna posted:

I shattered Doppelblade and it gave me all kinds of goodies. So. Is Barrage worth making? It looks pretty good, but on the other hand, it needs 10 major power orbs -- and so does Full Break, which I'm only two Major Lightning orbs away from.

Barrage uses the exact same orbs as Full Charge, which comes out with the Braska event, is essentially "Barrage but more powerful and with a longer cast time" and synergizes absurdly well with a certain other skill from that same event for the few people who have both Combat 5 and Celerity 5.

In other words, most times you'd use Barrage, Full Charge would give you better burst damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Similarly, is Drainga useful? Seems like it'd help -- lets a BLM self-heal and do non elem damage, but maybe it hits weakly.

There are various low level abilities I haven't used in ages but I'm reluctant to shatter, as I feel like the second I do, I'll hit on the exact opportunity where I would have needed it.

Barrage is not worth making. It will be completely eclipsed by Full Charge in a while (same orbs, same single-target damage, much higher multiplier). And if you don't have Full Break yet, that should be your first priority; probably even getting it to R2 should be your first priority.

Drainga is definitely useful, but it is less powerful than the -aja spells. Also, Drain/ga is dark elemental.

Which low-level abilities are you hanging on to? The only 1-2* abilities I have left are Retaliate, Boost, Kirin, Wind Slash, Sleep BM, and Poison BM (and I should really get rid of at least those last two).

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Looking at the current relics that are featured on the Free Daily Draw banner, I'd be happy to spend all my mythril on that selection of relics if they'd let me.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Barrage uses the exact same orbs as Full Charge, which comes out with the Braska event, is essentially "Barrage but more powerful and with a longer cast time" and synergizes absurdly well with a certain other skill from that same event for the few people who have both Combat 5 and Celerity 5.

In other words, most times you'd use Barrage, Full Charge would give you better burst damage.

3 people can use that combo; Zack, tyro, and Gau.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Double Rabite posted:

3 people can use that combo; Zack, tyro, and Gau.

Not anymore - both Lightning and Tidus can now do it too.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Drainga also costs only dark orbs, so like bioga it will cost a full 45 greater darks to get to r4. Darkra on the other hand uses both dark and non-elemental orbs. This greatly reduces it's cost, as there really isn't much that uses non-elemental.

I'm going through my skills as well, and I'm wondering if there is any reason for me to bother having both non-elemental 4* samurai aoes. I mean, yeah an aoe blind would be nice, but I'd rather bring blindga and blind shot for the higher chance.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Schwartzcough posted:

Barrage is not worth making. It will be completely eclipsed by Full Charge in a while (same orbs, same single-target damage, much higher multiplier). And if you don't have Full Break yet, that should be your first priority; probably even getting it to R2 should be your first priority.

Drainga is definitely useful, but it is less powerful than the -aja spells. Also, Drain/ga is dark elemental.

Which low-level abilities are you hanging on to? The only 1-2* abilities I have left are Retaliate, Boost, Kirin, Wind Slash, Sleep BM, and Poison BM (and I should really get rid of at least those last two).

Dagger Toss is nice to throw on my physical melee guys for bosses who jump 'out of range'.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Drainga also costs only dark orbs, so like bioga it will cost a full 45 greater darks to get to r4. Darkra on the other hand uses both dark and non-elemental orbs. This greatly reduces it's cost, as there really isn't much that uses non-elemental.

I'm going through my skills as well, and I'm wondering if there is any reason for me to bother having both non-elemental 4* samurai aoes. I mean, yeah an aoe blind would be nice, but I'd rather bring blindga and blind shot for the higher chance.

Yeah I got darkmoon and yukikaze and I really only hope for yukikaze to proc. otherwise it's just nice AoE damage from gil.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

How are your abilities and hones looking? As good as Full Break is, I find it hard to advocate rushing toward it when you need 30 Major Power Orbs to make it usable in hard content. I wrote a small guide about it recently, if you want an idea of what you should be looking at before taking the plunge to R2.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Not anymore - both Lightning and Tidus can now do it too.

Oh I missed Lightning, but when does Tidus get combat 5? The spead sheet I am using to check this information could be wrong or incomplete.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NESRyb07OFClfhVh6QugCrDbBkEWe9SRJllppWomtD8/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1849134843

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was about to post "Tidus has always had Combat 5" but I guess he doesn't

Dang, Tidus is pretty bad for a protagonist from a non-NES title

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Rabite posted:

Oh I missed Lightning, but when does Tidus get combat 5? The spead sheet I am using to check this information could be wrong or incomplete.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NESRyb07OFClfhVh6QugCrDbBkEWe9SRJllppWomtD8/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1849134843

I think Tidus's is a Record Dive prize, not a bona fide character buff.

That said, Faultsiphon/Full Charge is pretty much Tidus's one niche, ever, so.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Tidus's stats are respectable but his skillset is barebones and his equip isn't much better. He's kind of on the same level as DK Cecil except with better unique SBs. It makes sense since he's totally not the protagonist of FFX :v:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 18, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Tidus's stats are respectable but his skillset is barebones and his equip isn't much better. He's kind of on the same level as DK Cecil except with better unique SBs.

Tidus already has combat 5 in Global - he's had it for about half a year in Japan, it's just nobody bothered to update because he's Tidus.

As for why he's so bad? He was a release character (I believe he might even be the character you got for signing up during the pre-release?). Much like some of the other less-popular characters from that era, DeNa never really went back and fleshed him out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

When does Lenna's MC2 return?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

No full break yet, sadly. I'm holding on to just about everything, out of a paranoid fear that I'll discover the one time that skill would be useful -- poo poo like Blade Bash and Aim, Boost and Salve, but also, I am up to the -jas but still holding on to Fire, etc.

Niton posted:

How are your abilities and hones looking? As good as Full Break is, I find it hard to advocate rushing toward it when you need 30 Major Power Orbs to make it usable in hard content. I wrote a small guide about it recently, if you want an idea of what you should be looking at before taking the plunge to R2.

Oooh, this is super helpful. Using this as a guide, and pulling in one or two standbys:

- Breakdowns are all R2, except Mental is back at R1;
- Banishing Strike, Saints Cross, and Lifesiphon only R1;
- Blind shell r1, poison shell r2;
- Most of my 3* spell blades, r2;
- Tempo Flurry, r3, which was a huge MVP in Belias when Bartz got it to stick;
- Elementals, the -gas are either r2 or 3, but the -jas are mostly r1;
- Ruinga, r2;
- Curaga, r5, and this usually hits for around 3k, which is plenty;
- Diaga, r3;
- Alexander, r2;
- Draw fire, r2;
- Retaliate, r4.

I have great weapons and lovely armor -- or rather I have great heavy armor and horrible options for anyone who can't rock those. Picking up the Nu Khai band has been amazing, because even my squishy mages can use it.

I have all of three characters who've broken level 65 -- Ramza, Agrias, and Tyro. Everyone else is either low 50s or under 50.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Niton posted:

Tidus already has combat 5 in Global - he's had it for about half a year in Japan, it's just nobody bothered to update because he's Tidus.

As for why he's so bad? He was a release character (I believe he might even be the character you got for signing up during the pre-release?). Much like some of the other less-popular characters from that era, DeNa never really went back and fleshed him out.

Tidus and Warrior were the bonus characters but I don't remember which was the pre-release gift.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Is there any particular trick to getting Mako Might + Dr. Mog after breaking Cloud and Tyro to 80 and getting Attunement II and Soldier counter? I've had Tyro and Cloud in my party for a week now with neither dropping.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Pander posted:

Is there any particular trick to getting Mako Might + Dr. Mog after breaking Cloud and Tyro to 80 and getting Attunement II and Soldier counter? I've had Tyro and Cloud in my party for a week now with neither dropping.

I would double-check you have Soldier Counter, but besides that, no. Just gotta run them til they drop.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Nihilarian posted:

When does Lenna's MC2 return?

It doesn't--you get it via empty MC2 lode

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

No full break yet, sadly. I'm holding on to just about everything, out of a paranoid fear that I'll discover the one time that skill would be useful -- poo poo like Blade Bash and Aim, Boost and Salve, but also, I am up to the -jas but still holding on to Fire, etc.

Oooh, this is super helpful. Using this as a guide, and pulling in one or two standbys:

You would get much more mileage out of upgrading a bunch of your physical 4* skills to rank 2 (or rank 3 for Magic / Armor Breakdown) and 3* to rank 3/4, compared to spending Major Power Orbs on Full Break.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

KataraniSword posted:

Tidus gained Combat 5 as part of the balance update that was coupled with the Daily Dungeon/Gysahl Greens update.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Tidus's stats are respectable but his skillset is barebones and his equip isn't much better. He's kind of on the same level as DK Cecil except with better unique SBs. It makes sense since he's totally not the protagonist of FFX :v:

Zell is the one that gets the combination through Record Dive, actually (he gets Celerity 5 through it).

Tidus' problem is that outside of SBs, everything he can do, Lightning can do better. And even if you ignore that... he doesn't have any really noteworthy skill access other than Faultsiphon/Full Charge.

He's better than Firion as far as protagonists go, but he's certainly in the lower tiers of the main character list.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

Tidus and Warrior were the bonus characters but I don't remember which was the pre-release gift.

I think I started on the second day? But I got both Tidus and Warrior early, so I think they were both first-week prizes or something.

- Breakdowns are all R2, except Mental is back at R1;
- Banishing Strike, Saints Cross, and Lifesiphon only R1;
- Blind shell r1, poison shell r2;
- Most of my 3* spell blades, r2;
- Tempo Flurry, r3, which was a huge MVP in Belias when Bartz got it to stick;
- Elementals, the -gas are either r2 or 3, but the -jas are mostly r1;
- Ruinga, r2;
- Curaga, r5, and this usually hits for around 3k, which is plenty;
- Diaga, r3;
- Alexander, r2;
- Draw fire, r2;
- Retaliate, r4.

Yeah, I'd hold off on Full Break until you've beefed your 3* and 4* abilities up a bit. You really want a good selection of ~R3 4* abilities before you start worrying much about 5* stuff. Also, you will never use Blade Bash or Salve or Fire, and if you've already beaten Hein from the FF3 storyline dungeons you won't use Aim (you probably won't use it even then). Be brutal with low-rank abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just got nailed for upwards of 4000 damage from a Flare in the ++ Mondaily. Be careful where you lurk.

• Locked thread