Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

Anet's president/last remaining cofounder took over as game director until he can find someone else. Some think this is a sign of change somehow.

That's kind of what I was wondering about more. Like has the design philosophy changed? For a while it just felt like hamfisted solutions to problems that barely existed.

Also on my grinding comment, it's more just that, I often felt that the agreed upon "good way" to play was to just grind money out and buy things outright instead of doing content for said shiny princess stuff. It gave me those vanilla D3 vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Saxophone posted:

That's kind of what I was wondering about more. Like has the design philosophy changed? For a while it just felt like hamfisted solutions to problems that barely existed.

Also on my grinding comment, it's more just that, I often felt that the agreed upon "good way" to play was to just grind money out and buy things outright instead of doing content for said shiny princess stuff. It gave me those vanilla D3 vibes.

The general grindiness and casual unfriendly poo poo of the expansion seems to be something they've recognized that is bad and will change. This is p huge for Anet and hopefully they will actually they deliver.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Saxophone posted:

Actually that's something they added to the expansion in the way of collections, collect things in the new maps for a shiny weapon. Turns out a lot of people prefer the old way through gold (I do atleast)

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
The desert borderlands map was a great area but probably not meant for this game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

The general grindiness and casual unfriendly poo poo of the expansion seems to be something they've recognized that is bad and will change. This is p huge for Anet and hopefully they will actually they deliver.

Awesome to hear. I really like the game, but got to a point where I ran out of stuff to do besides grind out gold for shinies. I like the pursuit of shinies! But I like playing the game for them rather than figuring out optimal money making avenues. Kind of like old legendaries. There eventually came a point where unless you had figured out how to rig the market for your own profits, or got lottery lucky, you just weren't gonna have one.

I was also not keen on their ideas of making super cool content and then 2 weeks later scrapping it all. It'd be fine if it was put into some kind of rotation, but yeah. If I didn't log in and grind hard for 2 weeks I wasn't getting my mcguffin.

Glad to hear this is something they recognize because I do really like the game.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Awesome to hear. I really like the game, but got to a point where I ran out of stuff to do besides grind out gold for shinies. I like the pursuit of shinies! But I like playing the game for them rather than figuring out optimal money making avenues. Kind of like old legendaries. There eventually came a point where unless you had figured out how to rig the market for your own profits, or got lottery lucky, you just weren't gonna have one.

I was also not keen on their ideas of making super cool content and then 2 weeks later scrapping it all. It'd be fine if it was put into some kind of rotation, but yeah. If I didn't log in and grind hard for 2 weeks I wasn't getting my mcguffin.

Glad to hear this is something they recognize because I do really like the game.

The expansion really isn't grindy and is extremely friendly to casual players. Pretty much everything you do now will reward you with a more or less respectable amount of gold and XP, and the collection system has largely replaced the 'grind gold from dungeons' method of acquiring things. Short and sporadic periods of play are extremely rewarding now. Several aspects of central Tyria have also been reintegrated into the game. I've found more new things in the 'old' part of the game in the last 6 months than I can count.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nice trolling, Nilgoow.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I disagree with that. The last straw that sent me off from GW2 for the time being was grinding for the longbow skin from the xpac. It was such a frustrating grind, with each step a new surprise in how much more bullshit i needed to gather. Oh, and better hope you get a good map and don't get dc'd. There is a ton of good stuff with the xpac, but making every new map an event map was a mistake.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What actually lead to Colins slow decent into raid madness and how can we make sure no one in ANet wont fall into it again?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Poisonous swamp gas.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What actually lead to Colins slow decent into raid madness and how can we make sure no one in ANet wont fall into it again?

drinking the YouTube grognard koolaid basically, thinking making that type of content will attract the hardcore crowd; it didn't and it won't

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Raids are good and fun content that has minimal impact on the number of man-hours they're putting into other areas of development.

Please don't hate on raids, getting rid of them will not Make Tyria Great Again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Raids should never have been added in the first place but I guess are fine if they're kept to the minimum focus they are now, apparently they have what, 6 people working on them? The concern is more with everything else, the addition of raids was lovely with the grind/time commitment added everywhere else, that's all.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Visidan posted:

They really need to add some better placement options for guild hall stuff so every hall doesn't have the same "tower of thing" in it.

Oh no, no other hall has that type of thing. Trust me. Pseudo, you should take mesmer asura there one time. He's the one heading the SFD hall SAB conversion, right?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Raids should never have been added in the first place but I guess are fine if they're kept to the minimum focus they are now, apparently they have what, 6 people working on them? The concern is more with everything else, the addition of raids was lovely with the grind/time commitment added everywhere else, that's all.

The thing I like about raids is that while learning them is a big time commitment, once you have them down you can readily clear both Spirit Vale and Salvation Pass in a couple hours. Under an hour if you're really good. I think it's neat that the time commitment is in learning to clear them and clear them well, and not in "you must kill thirteen billion yaks for this achievement." I'm one of the regular BURD raiders and I raid ~5 hours a week. It's not currently enough time to clear the raids (we're still working on the 2nd boss in Wing 1) but I expect it to eventually be plenty of time to clear both wings, and possibly to even have a night where we clear both wings in a couple hours and a night where we introduce newbies to Spirit Vale.

Raids aren't easy, but they're legitimately not a grind unless you consider learning mechanics to be a grind. I get what you mean though, a lot of HoT is geared towards "hardcore" players and that's stupid bullshit. GW2 should return its focus to being a friendly and chill experience, and offer "hardcore" content very, very much as a side dish that doesn't get a ton of development time. I think their current balance of putting half a dozen people on it and keeping the significant majority of their focus on other things is good.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Magres posted:

Raids are good and fun content that has minimal impact on the number of man-hours they're putting into other areas of development.

Did you know? - It takes fewer personnel to make a raid than it does to make an armor set.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Raids have a core team of 6 but use many, many other devs to help them. 6 people can't do the art assets animations reward systems sounds etc

It doesn't matter how good raids are, barely anyone does them and they're the only new content put out half a year after the expansion released. Such a terrible decision it's hard to believe. They should have had ls3 ready to go a few months after hot.

Sprite141 posted:

Oh no, no other hall has that type of thing. Trust me. Pseudo, you should take mesmer asura there one time. He's the one heading the SFD hall SAB conversion, right?

If its a tower of frogs then yeah ive seen it before, reindeer statues and orchestras instead.

On the subject of guild hall I just cashed in thirteen thousand clouds and I'm too hosed to click any more, maybe next year.

EDIT:
I just remembered bulk buy is coming in the patch, rip.

I do like that the raids are quick, I took SFD beta-manlet squad leader Henry who hasn't done a raid before to one last week and he killed 5 of the bosses in under an hour before he had to leave to shoot up some scag.

Hell even this guy did it on a world record speed run clear.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is Heart of Thorns free yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Hell even this guy did it on a world record speed run clear.

i'm being framed by the illuminati

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Welp, I've just been told something amazing about the patch tomorrow. Hold onto any cores you have in the bank.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Visidan posted:

If its a tower of frogs then yeah ive seen it before, reindeer statues and orchestras instead.

I mean, yeah ok it is a statue. You aren't wrong in anyway there. That's not quite what I meant though. It's more of a scale issue.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Visidan posted:

Welp, I've just been told something amazing about the patch tomorrow. Hold onto any cores you have in the bank.

If you're talking about assault knight cores, I already got my three backpack skins so the patch is a failure already

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I don't even know what those are, but sure keep them too.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
The downward spiral began with the election of Ellen Kiel. If Tyria had real leadership none of this would have happened.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

The downward spiral began with the election of Ellen Kiel. If Tyria had real leadership none of this would have happened.

Agreed, I voted gnashblade from the start. Should have stayed in Vigil Keep rather than rebuilding LA too, it's been downhill for the last couple years.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh no, content people who aren't me might enjoy :ohdear:

Someone else might have fun, clutch your pearl everyone

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Waci posted:

Yea, it worked for Wildstar!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waci posted:

this is a bad post

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yes, but I like the phrase clutch your pearl.

It's like a bad southern saying.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice trolling, Nilgoow.

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy this game anymore, but maybe don't discourage people from trying it out.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, I voted gnashblade from the start. Should have stayed in Vigil Keep rather than rebuilding LA too, it's been downhill for the last couple years.

everyone just sits in heart of the mists tho?!?!?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waci posted:

:stare:

ItBurns posted:

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy this game anymore, but maybe don't discourage people from trying it out.

oh my god I didn't say this either, go home nilgoow

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Stay the same map chat. Stay the same.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Anet putting on their professional britches for this one.

There will be a reddit Q&A session tomorrow after the spring update launches. However, on the official forums Gaile Gray has pitched the session as a "Celebration Tomorrow". I know better than to get my hopes up anymore but seeing anet excited about their own deal makes me eager to see what it is they have planned.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
This Saturday April 23rd after missions I'll be running a HoT HP train.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Sure did miss my thief.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Some things never change...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah I can finally play this tomorrow at a stable framerate. :shlick:

Adbot