Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lore question: Is the Stray Demon a Havel Knight, or did it eat a Havel Knight? A few friends and I kind of stumbled upon their connection while talking about the Havel knight in the Dragon Barracks, and now I'm kind of curious why exactly his soul turns into a Havel's ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
God drat it I had Aldrich down to 1 hit left and died like a bitch in his (her?) rear end fire. Also every summon I've tried for this fight has been worse than useless. I'm Bad At Dark Souls.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

Host has to enter the boss first, and the boss has to actually appear / start fighting or moving if its a boss that starts not in the fight

Uhh, yeah dude all that is happening and it's still bugged

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

what the gently caress are you supposed to do against massive stamina R1 rapier spammers in pvp

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Moldy Taxes posted:

Lore question:

it's practically a giant rock, so it makes sense for its soul to cough up a remnant of Havel the Rock

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Fun-having Dark Souls III player: I am enjoying my experience playing the game with friendly strangers to help me. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Grizzled Patriarch: People playing the game differently than me are loving scum. Twisted loving psychopath.

If they were really nice guys they wouldn't Patches squat on my corpse :(

edit: Just to be clear, I'm really not angry at people that play differently. Just venting a little because my last 5 invasions have been 3 people sitting in a bonfire room and taunting and / or using giant seeds.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Worst boss run I've seen so far is Deacons of the Deep. Well, it would be, if I actually died at that boss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was taking the elevator down and looping around to the far side of the church :downs:.

the golden gate by the church bonfire can be opened not long after that lift if you go over the stairs that lead to the fog wall in the first place and then go straight over after killing the 2 enemies

did the dungeon enemies just make me non-embered? I killed them but didn't get my health back

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Moldy Taxes posted:

Lore question: Is the Stray Demon a Havel Knight, or did it eat a Havel Knight? A few friends and I kind of stumbled upon their connection while talking about the Havel knight in the Dragon Barracks, and now I'm kind of curious why exactly his soul turns into a Havel's ring.

I wouldn't think about Soul Transposition too hard. Frequently the connections mean nothing, as in the case of the Hollowslayer Greatsword.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I primarily played through this game 2-handed using the Exile Greatsword and Zweihander, and had a fairly tough time, especially in some of the later areas where you're fighting fast enemies with high poise. Now I've started over again and even though I'm playing a pyromancer with magic stats who never actually casts pyromancy because it kinda sucks, it's about a million times easier since I'm using a quick 1h and shield. I'm most of the way through the Cathedral and the only things that have killed me are fall damage and oddly enough, that really easy Sage boss. It's pretty crazy how much better this sort of setup is than anything else which is a shame because I don't really like it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is there anywhere after Oneiros I should go? I'm absolutely bashing my head against Champion Gundyr and KotS and I want to explore elsewhere for a bit. It's not even fun anymore - I spent half a day on the friggin AW and had an absolute blast, because it felt fair, and like I was making progress. These cunts it's just dodge, dodge, dodge DIE INSTANTLY. Even with a thousand health I just get huge chunks blown off if they so much as breath on me, and the knockback on all their hits are so huge, and the hits come so fast that I cant even get a gap to heal back up without taking another hit and wasting an estus.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yeah I'm really bad at it. I die a LOT. I haven't even gotten to the first boss yet because the patrolling knights f me up. I can't reliably beat them. But I'm still having a ton of fun. Haven't invited anyone to my game yet and to be honest; I really don't care to.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Captain Oblivious posted:

"Lothric is where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge"

Cornyx also talks about Izalith "drifting close"

Translation: Dark Souls universe features lands literally being functionally independent realms/planes of existence that sometimes drift in and out of phase with each other.

Also somewhat explains why you fall into a vortex in DS2 and find yourself on a new island continent. I guess things betwixt would just be the bridge to all lands?

This time around we're just right in the center of everything getting fucky

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a recommended level guide anywhere? I'm about level 35 and I just killed Wolnir.

I'd like to level up my str/dex to do more damage until I can find more titanite scales to get to +3 and beyond with a greatsword I'm using... I just don't want to be ridiculously overleveled.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Worst boss run I've seen so far is Deacons of the Deep. Well, it would be, if I actually died at that boss.

They're really generous with the shortcuts/bonfire locations in this game. I think pretty much any boss you can run to without wasting any estus flasks with no problems

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is this the first souls games where the mimics visibly breathe?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I mean I get that some people just struggle more with these games and genuinely need help sometimes, but I don't understand the people that have a 3-man team for literally the entire game. How is that even fun? Nothing is even remotely challenging anymore, and you can't even really explore at your own pace or anything. To each their own I guess, but DS3 would be boring as poo poo to me if I never had to worry about dying.

I got summoned in as a watchdog to find that a phantom had lead some guy through the entire crucifixion woods and halfway though the poison swamp in one go. Apparently some people need to have their hand held through entire zones from beginning to end.

I hope they at least slowed down to activate the two bonfires they passed, because his bloodstain ended up very far from where he began.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going to put this in spoilers since I don't actually know what I've done and how much of it is relevant to the story.

In Archdragon Peak, there's a giant bell towards the end of it with a bunch of messages around it essentially saying that if you ring it you lock yourself out of the dragon covenant or something similar. I cleared out everything else in the area, including killing Havel who was standing next to the corpse of a dead dragon in what looked like a dead end area. He had attacked me earlier and killed me, and after killing him I couldn't find anything else in the area or any way to join the dragon covenant. My guess is that the first time Havel attacks you here you're supposed to kill him on your first try, and if you fail he succeeds in climbing to the top of the peak to kill the dragon which would otherwise let you into the covenant. Since I couldn't find anything else to do, I went to ring the bell despite the clear warnings. I was expecting it to at least open up the gate underneath the bell which had no lever anywhere I could find, but the gate is still closed and I don't think I actually accomplished anything positive by ringing it. I completely cleared out everything else I could find in the area besides whatever is behind that gate.

So have I basically screwed myself out of dragon covenant, or is it just something which will prove to be significant later on?

no, you're absolutely fine, you're wrong as gently caress and you opened up a boss when you rang that bell. you can even see the fog gate from the bell lever. there is no dragon covenant, use Path of the Dragon at that altar to get item

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

is this the first souls games where the mimics visibly breathe?

Nope, they did that in DS1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

The whole gimmick and story of the game is the relationship between the cycle of death and reincarnation. Being too afraid to die goes against it all. Besides, none of the runs back to bosses or through levels are even that long/tough. The hardest one so far was the Pontiff but even that was no where near as annoying as some of the runs have been in the past (Freja and Smelter Demon had the fuckin worst).

It's kind of amusing that the game with the most generous bonfire placement has the worst boss runs.

If we're counting DLC, I think my least favorite boss run in the series is Alonne's. So many very aggressive enemies on the path. It's a shame, too, because that was a great and atmospheric fight. Luckily it didn't take me more than a few tries or I might've given up just so I didn't have to do the boss run again.

I've definitely found that how bad boss runs are in most of these games is inversely proportional to how thorough a player is in looking for shortcuts.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't think about Soul Transposition too hard. Frequently the connections mean nothing, as in the case of the Hollowslayer Greatsword.

Someone else mentioned that a Havel set appears in the Stray Demon area after you kill the Havel knight guarding the Titanite slab, which connects the two a bit more tightly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

It's kind of amusing that the game with the most generous bonfire placement has the worst boss runs.

If we're counting DLC, I think my least favorite boss run in the series is Alonne's. So many very aggressive enemies on the path. It's a shame, too, because that was a great and atmospheric fight. Luckily it didn't take me more than a few tries or I might've given up just so I didn't have to do the boss run again.

I've definitely found that how bad boss runs are in most of these games is inversely proportional to how thorough a player is in looking for shortcuts.

Alonne gave me a lot of trouble and that run in particular just broke me utterly. I still have trouble doing a Dark Souls 2 run because I know that that run, and an undefeated Alonne, wait me at the end. It's a perfect example of how poo poo DS2's enemy placement is, because that sequence is simply not fair or fun.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I mean I get that some people just struggle more with these games and genuinely need help sometimes, but I don't understand the people that have a 3-man team for literally the entire game. How is that even fun? Nothing is even remotely challenging anymore, and you can't even really explore at your own pace or anything. To each their own I guess, but DS3 would be boring as poo poo to me if I never had to worry about dying.

I'll summon a bro just because I'll always accept help freely offered. If I land a second, though, I'm huffing a dried finger and turning on the giant seed for maximum chaos.

poo poo never gets old.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do i have to ember to regain my health from those things in the dungeon or was it the fact i knocked the one that did that to me off a ledge but didn't kill it that was the problem?

christ they ruin your health bar

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dudes who need phantoms to help them go through the world are the worst.

or are a sorceror.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Bwahahaha yes Aldrich get hosed! Died a whole bunch of times, accidentally switched to my then Pyro Flame +2 and thought what the hell, I'll toss a fireball. Turns out Aldrich isn't too keen on fire.

Took Pyro Flame to +6, all the fire damage boosting rings and Great Chaos Fire Orb because it has no Faith requirement. Only got 7 Fth but 61 Int, boss dead in 5 casts, no estus used.
Time to sunbro for people because jesus what a fight.

e: spoiler tag in case people get upset or something?

ShadowMar posted:

what the gently caress are you supposed to do against massive stamina R1 rapier spammers in pvp

Parry/Riposte probably but I can't do it reliably at all. Maybe a good spear?

I'm at the point where I'm killing half the players I meet in invasion with a single Great Heavy Soul Arrow, it almost feels like cheating.

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 18, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

or are a sorceror.

Same thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The worst boss run is the Frozen Outskirts because you're either waist-deep in deer or you're running through literally nothing for a few minutes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Actually, that one makes sense. You find Mirrah Knight armor in the area. The other weapon you get from Rotwood mentions being "one of the curses that festered" in its belly, so the weapons are coming from the curses or cursed people that the townsfolk jammed into the tree. Lucatiel was kinda super hollow, and you get her mask using the moundmaker's covenant item, so the townspeople probably jammed her into the tree with the rest of the cursed folk.

edit: I mean it's not something you can just intuit looking at the thing, but it does get explained.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 18, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

or are a sorceror.

Seriously, I couldn't imagine doing a spell magic route without summoning at least one guy for some bosses. My primary damage makes me stand completely still and slowly make a projectile happen. In Slow Souls, this wasn't TOO bad, but all the bad guys are mega fast in this one, which means bummer city.

On the plus side, summoning a tanky sword man and playing his back-up wizard feels incredibly satisfying and fun, especially if you get a Sunbro. I had a Sunbro help me fight the last boss and not only did we both survive, we toasted each other before he faded off into the air.

I thought fondly of him as I went to link the fire. Then I instead plunged the world into darkness forever.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think the hardest thing about the dancer (and one of the hardest things about several of the other fights so far) is just that there's so much poo poo littering the boss room that I keep getting caught on geometry rather than retreating out of range.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 18, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst boss run is the Frozen Outskirts because you're either waist-deep in deer or you're running through literally nothing for a few minutes.

Frozen Outskirts is just awful in general.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how the gently caress do you deal with that room full of enemies that just drain your health bar

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Harrow posted:

Same thing.

DS games are about suffering and Sorcerers suffer more than anyone else, it's the true way to play. Until you become stupidly OP when you get Court Sorc Staff I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RatHat posted:

How? There's a shortcut that gets you very close to the fog gate and you basically just have to run past a couple enemies that don't even seem to make much of an effort to chase you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

how the gently caress do you deal with that room full of enemies that just drain your health bar

Don't get hit

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Same thing.

I'm too cheap to buy PS+, so this is me! :shepicide:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nah he's right, that guy is a huge baby. They should have attacked him long ago given that they had overwhelming odds.

In this case, I don't really agree. The way dodge mechanics work an invader can basically just dodge spam into a line of NPCs, and let the level do all the work, only moving in to attack (and thereby actually open themselves to retaliation) when a phantom/host is weak. Forcing the invader to go offensive, even with overwhelming odds, is basically the only way to make the numbers really work for you.

It's mad dumb. I've had invaders literally chew through an unending wave of blue and summoned phantoms because dodging is nearly impossible to punish, and invaders have the benefit of letting the level take care of the offense.

And I'm not complaining as a carebear. It's just as obnoxious when invading, for example as a Watchdog where you are likely to have backup. The encounters typically devolve into the most tedious yakkity sax style dashing after the host while they sprint to bonfires, and dodge spam around while waiting for summons to pop - at which point the summons get rocked because they're the ones going offensive (which CAN be punished) while the host continues to spam rolls.

I hope I'm missing something - for example, I should probably just grab a katana when invading or something, just because of the running R1 stab, but as far as I can tell it would still be something of a crap shoot for roll happy hosts.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 18, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Martout posted:

Bwahahaha yes Aldrich get hosed! Died a whole bunch of times, accidentally switched to my then Pyro Flame +2 and thought what the hell, I'll toss a fireball. Turns out Aldrich isn't too keen on fire.

Took Pyro Flame to +6, all the fire damage boosting rings and Great Chaos Fire Orb because it has no Faith requirement. Only got 7 Fth but 61 Int, boss dead in 5 casts, no estus used.
Time to sunbro for people because jesus what a fight.

e: spoiler tag in case people get upset or something?

Parry/Riposte probably but I can't do it reliably at all. Maybe a good spear?

I'm at the point where I'm killing half the players I meet in invasion with a single Great Heavy Soul Arrow, it almost feels like cheating.

How the hell do you have 61 Int at Aldrich, did you not put a single point in anything else? My highest stat was 30 when I fought him at level ~64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm doing all of my "make fun of magic-users" now ahead of my eventual pure pyromancy playthrough so that I don't have to do it then.

Pyromancy looks so fun. Even with 10 Int/Faith, Fire Orb and Chaos Fire Orb have been really useful on my quality guy.