Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slothrop posted:

Checks out

The absolute best thing about those cars is that they have a 'torque gauge' in the same sort of place a turbo car would have a boost gauge and, sure enough, it goes up as you give it more gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Slavvy posted:

The absolute best thing about those cars is that they have a 'torque gauge' in the same sort of place a turbo car would have a boost gauge and, sure enough, it goes up as you give it more gas.

A friends Bluebird has a Manifold vacuum gauge which serves much the same function

Like this but with a Bluebird wagon attached.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The most amazing thing about that to me is that even in loving Russia, a high-speed freeway chase doesn't end with any guns pulled. In the USA there'd be four cop cars, a helicopter, assault rifles everywhere, the driver handcuffed and beaten up with a boot on his face.
Traffic police (DPS) is not the same as regular police in Russia. They're glorified meter maids with very little training and capabilities. If arrest need to be made, they call actual cops. You don't want to mess with actual Russian police, believe me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Well executed, but still going with this being the correct thread

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

`Nemesis posted:

Well executed, but still going with this being the correct thread

Somehow make the rest of the grill seem like the cheshire cat.

I can grow to like it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the goal there is to attract attention. Especially if it's a show car. It's not as terrible as putting things on your car to make it seem faster.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I don't really care what happens to a rich fuckoid middle-manager in Palo Alto who owns an Audi, but man, you gotta at least look for a dash camera, dude
Car owner missed his chance to extort the mechanic for some free blow and service

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3542905/Audi-service-tech-goes-high-speed-coke-fueled-lunch-break-joyride-s-caught-dashcam.html Daily mirror got a copy of it before it was set to private.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 17, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If they were actually doing coke, the rest of the ride would be them just talking utter bollocks and slowing down to holler at anything vaguely female they passed.

KoRMaK posted:

Car owner missed his chance to extort the mechanic for some free blow and service

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3542905/Audi-service-tech-goes-high-speed-coke-fueled-lunch-break-joyride-s-caught-dashcam.html Daily mirror got a copy of it before it was set to private.

When this showed up on Facebook, one guy mentioned he had a car in for some body work and they took it for a bit of a joy ride. They didn't know about the telemetry setup he had though, so he phoned the manager and asked why his car was doing 60 down the road outside the shop. Got a red faced apology and the work completely comped, so he was pretty happy about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't know how fast you have to be going to do this, but it's gotta be pretty fast.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

I don't know how fast you have to be going to do this, but it's gotta be pretty fast.

I looked at this 20 times and can't figure out what is going on

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
car hit pole, pole broke. pole suspended by cables above, pole now sittin on top of car. And its a Mercury in Russia.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

car hit pole, pole broke. pole suspended by cables above, pole now sittin on top of car. And its a Mercury in Russia.

Or maybe the car was parked there for a long time and the pole grew up through it.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Powershift posted:

that's not a matter of speed, it's a matter of teleporting at the right place.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Olivil posted:

that's not a matter of speed, it's a matter of teleporting at the right place.

Either that or it's the parking lot at Bethesda Game Studios.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Travelling through Russia ain't like dusting crops, kid. Without precise blood alcohol level we could drive right through a pole or bounce too close to a dump truck and that'd end your trip real quick

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Terrible car stuff: Travelling through Russia ain't like dusting crops, kid.

Mods plz tia.

My question is: how is the rest of the windshield not shattered?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my friend's dad traded in his 87 MR2 towards a new used Camry since he is old and can't clutch anymore. Bob Rohrman Toyota gave him $900 in trade for the car. They just dropped it on the lot for $9000. I get they have to make money but holy gently caress what a bunch of crooks.

http://www.fortwaynetoyota.com/vehicle-details/1987-toyota-mr2-base-fort-wayne-in-id-12955861

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

So my friend's dad traded in his 87 MR2 towards a new used Camry since he is old and can't clutch anymore. Bob Rohrman Toyota gave him $900 in trade for the car. They just dropped it on the lot for $9000. I get they have to make money but holy gently caress what a bunch of crooks.

http://www.fortwaynetoyota.com/vehicle-details/1987-toyota-mr2-base-fort-wayne-in-id-12955861

How did this not get offered to you for $900?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

How did this not get offered to you for $900?

I wasn't even aware he was getting rid of it until I got the FB message saying "look at this bullshit" yesterday.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The terrible car stuff is your friend and/or his dad agreeing to a $900 trade in on a mint condition MR2, not anything the dealer did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also doing business with anything under the Bob Rohrman umbrella. Their ads make me want to pound nails into my ears.

If I never had to watch an ad for a regional car dealer ever again I think I could die happy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cal Worthington was the peak of television anything. Make the cars spin, add a live tiger, a man in a cowboy nudie suit and a damned catchy theme song and you have high art.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Worthington ads confused me in a big way as a child. His ads always seemed like they were showing off vehicles that were up for sale in my area. Problem was, I spent the first handful years of my life around Seattle and was buried in his ads, then we moved to Alaska and still had to endure them. I couldn't figure out how it had worked out that a car salesman had moved from Seattle to Anchorage around the same time my family did.

It wasn't until much later when the internet existed that I realized he had a massive chain spread all up and down the west coast and the specific cars he was hawking weren't actually available.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well this happened Thursday. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

If I never had to watch an ad for a regional car dealer ever again I think I could die happy.

As someone who lives in upstate NY's capital region, I couldn't possibly agree more with this.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE :fuckoff:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Well this happened Thursday. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

It would be terrible if you're not insured against this sort of thing. Also, why tow?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

Also doing business with anything under the Bob Rohrman umbrella. Their ads make me want to pound nails into my ears.

Nitrox posted:

It would be terrible if you're not insured against this sort of thing. Also, why tow?

Push it! Pull it! Tow it to Golf Mill Ford!

:shepicide:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nitrox posted:

1) the door had to be kicked open and won't close again.
2) she don't drive straight no more
3) Ain't my insurance gonna be paying

The car is still stock ride height and barely made it on to the rollback without scraping.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
In just two years of living in my house we've had 4 people crash into cars parked in front of my house or my immediate neighbor's house. After two of my roommates independently had their cars hit we learned to park in the driveway no matter what, but our neighbor apparently has not learned this lesson. At least this time everyone in the area was home and awake when it happened so about 20 people came running outside in time to see the guy back up and drive away so we got the plate number and description of the driver, plus he left pretty much all of his coolant in the road so I don't think he got far. I suppose it was a fools dream that living across from a school would mean people would not text and drive or drive 40+ mph.

I was also surprised how well the neighbor's 300 held up, just a dented trunk (don't know if there was any underside damage to the exhaust). The front of the hit-and-run driver's Blazer was all kinds of wrecked.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm not excusing the act of running into parked cars but that street looks way too narrow to street park.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm not excusing the act of running into parked cars but that street looks way too narrow to street park.

Hahaha, our street's narrower than that, no sidewalk on both sides like that, and all we have is on-street parking aside from like two houses. with small garages

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't think that's a thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love communities that establish colossal easements.. and then never do anything with the space.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The government mandate for all cars to be self driving only can't come soon enough to get you off the road.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

neonbregna posted:

The government mandate for all cars to be self driving only can't come soon enough to get you off the road.

I'm in my thirties and have never caused an accident. :shrug:

tbf I do most of my driving in urban sprawl so I guess those kinds of streets are just way wider.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm in my thirties and have never caused an accident. :shrug:

tbf I do most of my driving in urban sprawl so I guess those kinds of streets are just way wider.

What city do you do most of your driving in? It can't be my city.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PCOS Bill posted:

What city do you do most of your driving in? It can't be my city.

Phoenix.

e: the subdivision I live in could easily fit each way traffic with both sides of the road having street parked cars. Just looks odd to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Phoenix.

e: the subdivision I live in could easily fit each way traffic with both sides of the road having street parked cars. Just looks odd to me.

It is odd because that street is probably very old. I don't hit cars either and I find narrow streets with street parking to be incredibly annoying. Particularly when the parking is in both directions and you have very little clearance on either side and oh no here comes a dipshit going the wrong way down this one way street.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Look at this terrible derail I started. Here's a thing from a GIS of "dumb car thing"

Discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Looks like it would be too hard to street park.