Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Another fine day of angler education. Half of these kids never fished before, they were pulling up bluegills with bamboo poles :3

https://imgur.com/bmvlHJZ

Was Kraft Singles the bait? I remember as a child I had great success catching 20+ sunfish with balls of Kraft Singles Cheese on a hook. Best weekend of fishing in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Was Kraft Singles the bait? I remember as a child I had great success catching 20+ sunfish with balls of Kraft Singles Cheese on a hook. Best weekend of fishing in my entire life.

Hot dog. Taught them how to bait their own hooks, then kiss the fish and say thank you and let them go in less then a minute out of the water.
I held and unhooked the fish though, the bluegill spines can be nasty.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

kiss the fish and say thank you and let them go in less then a minute out of the water.

You're doing a good job.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Want to see some bigger blue hills next year? Import a pair of bass into the pond.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
And use trout fry as bait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And use trout fry as bait.

Rapala Rainbow Pattern in 1 1/2 inch is my favorite plug....

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I got a Rainbow Pattern Daredevle Spoon for Xmas that I can't wait to use.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I got a Rainbow Pattern Daredevle Spoon for Xmas that I can't wait to use.
For reals, give a serious thought to removing the treble hook from your spoons and put a single hook on, instead. I went from losing 2 or 3 lures a day to losing 2 or 3 a season (one of those losses last seasons was because I forgot to close the swivel and flipped the lure into a 30 foot hole and watched it disconnect from the line and sail into the water 8 feet in front of me.) I've been shocked at how much less gear I lose trading out my trebles.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I just might; Today I just lost a brand new rooster tail. Purely out of stupidity (of course) by trying to use it in a shallow fast moving river. Got snagged and couldn't un-snag. I was going to fish a dammed portion of the river, but there was ice of course, and I was so angry and ready to fish I went to the next available water source (further down the river), where I should have re-rigged my line with a better option.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

coyo7e posted:

For reals, give a serious thought to removing the treble hook from your spoons and put a single hook on, instead. I went from losing 2 or 3 lures a day to losing 2 or 3 a season (one of those losses last seasons was because I forgot to close the swivel and flipped the lure into a 30 foot hole and watched it disconnect from the line and sail into the water 8 feet in front of me.) I've been shocked at how much less gear I lose trading out my trebles.

Huh, good to know. Going to try that for anything I use in shallow/weedy water. I tend to try and rig things weedless anyways, but some lures you obviously can't.

Has it affected your hook rate at all, or not enough to matter?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I found it not enough to matter and pretty big savings in $$$

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Siochain posted:

Huh, good to know. Going to try that for anything I use in shallow/weedy water. I tend to try and rig things weedless anyways, but some lures you obviously can't.

I've found you hook up a bit less but lose fewer fish once they hook up so it balances out more or less.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Siochain posted:

I mainly use spoons to bottom-bounce in rivers, and that means I'm constantly struggling to not hook up on rocks, or branches, or freshwater mussels. With treble is very much seems that they tend to get wedged into multiple pieces of flotsam whereas with a single hook and a little bit of wading up-and-down-stream to find a different angle of pressure, I can almost always recover my lures. Touching the bottom is super important when bouncing though, and it's kind of impossible with a treble.. You'll defiintely accrue a LOT less weeds though with only one hook versus a treble, though.. If a fish hits the lure and you're doing it right, you ought to be able to feel it and set the hook, the treble is more for those ones where you didn't even know you got a strike and basically end up accidentally hooking the fish.

I only lost one lure last summer to hooking into wood, and it was due to a sloppy overcast that lodged into a flotsam tree stump that outweighed me, and the only reason I couldn't get it was because I didn't have any way to wade out to it without literally stripping off my pants and shirt and praying that I wouldn't get swept away in the 8' deep channel while I was stupidly trying to wade out to save a 3-4 dollar lure (two people already died in that river last summer by that point, wasn't interested in pushing it).

The third lure I lost was due to a knot giving way.

It's also orders of magnitude simpler to get a single hook out of a fish to release it safely, than dealing with the torture machine that a treble hook often ends up being by the time you land them. I always feel like poo poo breaking a fish's jaw just to recover my treble hook.

I dunno that I'd remove the trebles from a rooster tail because they're for surface fishing, but a spoon is really made to go pretty deep, where you're inevitably gonna be hitting rocks and other poo poo on the bottom.. I mean they literally always have a split ring for a reason - unlike most store-bought spinning lures.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody in the NC area, either the Raleigh or Emerald Isle areas? I just move in state a few months ago and I want to get the kayak out on the water and bust my ocean fishing cherry this year.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
It's Spring, which means I am going to be buying a kayak at some point. I really like the idea of the Hobie with the propulsion system. Anyone have one of these? I don't know that I'm willing to spend that much, but it looks really cool.

Will take any and all recommendations on fishing kayaks, especially for someone just getting into it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Consider a Native Watercraft Slayer. They are pedal powered like a Hobie but can go in reverse which is handy when trying to haul a fish out of a snag. I have a suspicion that the NW propeller is more robust than the Hobie Mirage Drive, which cost a lot of money to fix when something goes wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's the first thing on my list to buy once I complete my house sale.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, once I graduate and have money to spend on stuff I want to get a Slayer 12 for freshwater and estuary fishing and Trident Ultra 4.7 for longer trips in the bays and offshore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Consider a Native Watercraft Slayer. They are pedal powered like a Hobie but can go in reverse which is handy when trying to haul a fish out of a snag. I have a suspicion that the NW propeller is more robust than the Hobie Mirage Drive, which cost a lot of money to fix when something goes wrong.

I have a Slayer 10 and love it, but I specifically bought it to tool around in reservoirs and slow rear end tidal rivers. I live right next to the Chesapeake Bay and it is going to take all summer before I work up the nerve to take it out there. The 12 is obviously better in any kind of rough water but I wanted the increased portability.

I have always heard that the Hobie drive is far more robust than the Native prop. I went Native for the weight reduction and the reverse, but if I fished more big water I would have gotten an Outback no question. My only issue is that being lefthanded makes using the rudder a bit of a pain as I have to keep passing the rod back and forth, I want to switch the lever over to the RH side this summer but I am somewhat daunted with how little access to the inner hull there is.

Look at this cute little guy:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah that's the thing, I am going to be fishing mainly the slow Monocacy, but being in Frederick, I'm next to the Potomac too. I want something versatile for both, so I suppose a 12 is better?

Thanks for the input so far.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm moving to the Puget Sound and I plan on salmon and lingcod so I'm looking at the super manly 14 pro angler.
Dual hand rutters!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Planet X posted:

Yeah that's the thing, I am going to be fishing mainly the slow Monocacy, but being in Frederick, I'm next to the Potomac too. I want something versatile for both, so I suppose a 12 is better?

I'd go with the longer one unless I was planning on fishing in very skinny water or it needed to fit in the back of a car or something. Generally the longer the kayak the better the speed, tracking, stability and carrying capacity, at the cost of maneuverability. It might not be so important when everything is going well but keep in mind you might find yourself paddling back because the drive breaks down or needing to get back in a hurry because of a change in the weather. That is one thing that turns me off the Pro Anglers because they would be pricks to move without the mirage drive.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I currently have a Hobie Outback and I can not recommended it enough, no reverse sucks now and then but I'm the 6 years I have had it I only wanted reverse about 5 times.

The nice thing about the Mirage Drive is it had a built in fail point that cost a few dollars and a couple of minutes to replace, I haven't had a issue with mine yet and I have taken that kayak everywhere. The drive is extremely robust, I have rammed into buried stumps, unexpected sand bars and just about anything else you can find in the water. The only downside is the cost but the durability and the costumer service is worth it to me.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2016

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Going pike fishing in Sweden in 19 days. I don't have much to say about it yet, but I really can't wait and I want someone to talk about it with, god drat it

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

If you ever wanna take a test drive let me know, hopefully the end of this month/beginning of the next will be devoted to fishing so I should be available whenever.

In other news, my first custom rod is done, but I am out of town now and the rod maker is leaving the day I get back and not returning until the 17th. poo poo is killing me.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Any of you guys ever do any vertical jigging? I got into it not too long ago and it's a real blast. Caught a wahoo in south Florida, which is not a very common catch.

For those curious: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzSr2rJRKA

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's pretty much shallow water rockfishing out in CA.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've tried a bit of microjigging from the kayak but haven't caught anything yet, and as the water is cooling down I probably won't give it a go in the salt again until next spring. I might try it with small plastics in deep lakes for trout and native species over winter some time though.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
It's been years since I've fished and I don't remember anything, but the couple times that my wife and I went last year were a blast for both of us so I'm looking for some tips:
We've got a lake full of panfish that's about 30 feet at the deepest but around the edges is anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet, with some stands of weeds and downed trees. My wife loves catching bluegills, what should we do in order to get good sized ones? Most of the ones that bite are tiny and we end up throwing them back.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

I am not a book posted:

It's been years since I've fished and I don't remember anything, but the couple times that my wife and I went last year were a blast for both of us so I'm looking for some tips:
We've got a lake full of panfish that's about 30 feet at the deepest but around the edges is anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet, with some stands of weeds and downed trees. My wife loves catching bluegills, what should we do in order to get good sized ones? Most of the ones that bite are tiny and we end up throwing them back.

Artificials all the way. Try small jigs/spinners at around 1/64 to 1/32oz in size. My go to panfish/rockbass/crappie etc. jig is 1/32oz with a Berkley Power Nymph. If you're not used to using a jig try attaching a bobber (preferably a sliding style) about 2 feet up from the jig. Cast it out and twitch the bobber ever few seconds.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bluegill is an awesome first target fish. I would take 3 slices of bread and make a day out of catching 5 dozen of them or so. Never ate one but they're supposed to be excellent.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A guy a met out here was singing the praises of a scaled down dropshot rig for large bluegills.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

WTF BEES posted:

small jigs/spinners at around 1/64 to 1/32oz in size.

Do you mean a spinnerbait with an arm or something else? I'm kicking myself for becoming a big dumb nerd and not fishing for over a decade because I've forgotten it all now :(

bongwizzard posted:

A guy a met out here was singing the praises of a scaled down dropshot rig for large bluegills.

Something like this(but presumably using a smaller hook)?

edit: hurfdurf here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQA8dP9b9E

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 17, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
No picture dude.

But yea, just make a rig with a 1/8-1/4oz weight and like a #6-8 hook. This guy was using tiny Gulp grubs, but any small scented plastic should work, or bait like small red worms. If it is super snaggy then use 1/4-20 hex nuts as your weight.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Assignments and job applications stopped kicking my arse for a couple of days so I finally got to take the kayak out after about a month of sitting in the shed. The first spot was fogged out but I moved and it turned into an awesome day. In the end I caught 15 nice size flathead plus a couple of poo poo sharks

This was where I was fishing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilsons_Promontory

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Assignments and job applications stopped kicking my arse for a couple of days so I finally got to take the kayak out after about a month of sitting in the shed. The first spot was fogged out but I moved and it turned into an awesome day. In the end I caught 15 nice size flathead plus a couple of poo poo sharks

This was where I was fishing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilsons_Promontory

Ugh so jealous. I'm in the process of buying a house on the Puget Sound and first "fun" purchase is a kayak.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am not a book posted:

When I was a kid I would catch them with a panfish hook baited with a worm I dug up or, if I couldn't find any, a compressed lump of bread that concealed the hook. Suspend it below a bobber. I've heard of catching them with lures and artificials, but I've never caught anything but largemouth bass that way.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

I am not a book posted:

If it's warm and they're in the shallow water close to shore, I'd highly recommend a telescopic cane pole. I rig mine with 15 pound test braid, a #4 hook, split shot, and a leech. Usually the best results I get are when dipping it in between openings in reed beds. With a 12+ foot fixed-line rod, fighting a 2 pound bass who has all the mechanical advantage in the world is really fun, and I've gotten some 1lb+ bluegill that way. If you don't have access to a boat and the ability to hop between reed beds, though, I'd say follow the other posters' advice on using small jigs from a spinning setup.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I can get access to a canoe/kayak so I might try casting from shore and jigging. My main problem is that there are millions of like 1/4 lb sunnies that seem like they hit everything, it's hard to keep bait in the water long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I am not a book posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I can get access to a canoe/kayak so I might try casting from shore and jigging. My main problem is that there are millions of like 1/4 lb sunnies that seem like they hit everything, it's hard to keep bait in the water long enough.

That water source needs a bass implant. Sounds like you got a case of the stunties.

Try bass fishing instead? Preferably with lures near the size of the suns.