Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

did Ray just kill a dude

I really expected him to be drenched in blood when he turned back into a full size human.

He spent the entire season being established as the boy scout and just punches through someones sternum and entire body and just acts like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Rip: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!
Snart: It jumped up a notch.
Rip: It did, didn't it?
Ray: Yeah, I flew through a man's heart.
Rip: I saw that! Ray killed a guy. Did you throw yourself at him?
Ray: Yea, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with my shrinking powers.
Rip: Ray, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safe house or a past relative close by because you're probably wanted for time murder.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krad posted:

Rip: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!
Snart: It jumped up a notch.
Rip: It did, didn't it?
Ray: Yeah, I flew through a man's heart.
Rip: I saw that! Ray killed a guy. Did you throw yourself at him?
Ray: Yea, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with my shrinking powers.
Rip: Ray, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safe house or a past relative close by because you're probably wanted for time murder.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Fat Shat Sings posted:

[Ray] spent the entire season being established as the boy scout and just punches through someones sternum and entire body and just acts like nothing happened.
That was the best part of the episode for me. It was such an awesomely brutal move, and so completely against his character, that I just could not stop laughing for a bit. More of that, please, sensibility be damned.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I really expected him to be drenched in blood when he turned back into a full size human.

He spent the entire season being established as the boy scout and just punches through someones sternum and entire body and just acts like nothing happened.

Rory made some offhand comment about how these hunters, unlike him/chronos, had (I think) "nothing human left" or similar, either near the start of the episode or possibly at the end of last weeks. Now, that could have just meant mentally/spiritually, or it could have been intended to mean that they were so cyborged that they were essentially robots, so "killing" them is no big deal. Honestly I didnt think it was particularly clear from context, but I'm happy enough to wave it off as "The BMX armour Bandits were robot types", because as you say it'd be pretty out of character for Ray to just start dropping fools.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SiKboy posted:

Rory made some offhand comment about how these hunters, unlike him/chronos, had (I think) "nothing human left" or similar, either near the start of the episode or possibly at the end of last weeks. Now, that could have just meant mentally/spiritually, or it could have been intended to mean that they were so cyborged that they were essentially robots, so "killing" them is no big deal. Honestly I didnt think it was particularly clear from context, but I'm happy enough to wave it off as "The BMX armour Bandits were robot types", because as you say it'd be pretty out of character for Ray to just start dropping fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5A5Mb__fiA

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Exactly what I thought of when reading the post.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Didn't Mick take off one of those guys' helmets, revealing a completely human dude inside, and proceed to have a fairly verbose, human conversation with him?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes. But that was exposition?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Didn't Mick take off one of those guys' helmets, revealing a completely human dude inside, and proceed to have a fairly verbose, human conversation with him?

It's a figure of speech, Ray! They're just bureaucrats, I don't respect them! Just keep punching holes in their chests, Ray!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SgtSteel91 posted:

It's a figure of speech, Ray! They're just bureaucrats, I don't respect them! Just keep punching holes in their chests, Ray!

4 posts up buddy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I-I know, I was just trying to be witty :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I-I know, I was just trying to be witty :negative:

This is the writers of this show, every day, as they drink themselves to sleep.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's 2016 and the Time Plunger lands on the WB Studios where the writers of Legends of Tomorrow are struggling to write the season finale. Jax is cast as a naturally gifted black athlete. Vandal Savage starts an Ollicity tumblr. Sarah makes out with Caity Lotz.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rarity posted:

It's 2016 and the Time Plunger lands on the WB Studios where the writers of Legends of Tomorrow are struggling to write the season finale. Jax is cast as a naturally gifted black athlete. Vandal Savage starts an Ollicity tumblr. Sarah makes out with Caity Lotz.
This is one of my faves, because it reminds me of those crazy catdrugs episodes of Hercules where Kevin Sorbo, 90s actor, was actually Hercules and the Greek Gods would gently caress with him while he was prepping his lines for Hercules TV or trying to find parking in LA.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jax: "Yeah, other kids at school trained harder, or had smarter strategy, but I always won at football, because I'm just a natural ath-- oh. Oh. Oh my god. Martin. Martin!"

Martin: [coughing] "I wasn't smo-- hey, Jax. What's up?"

Jax: "Am I racist?"

Martin: "I uh... I don't... do you hate any races?"

Jax: "No, no, like... me, my identity. Is it racist? Am I racist? I mean... you know. 'Naturally gifted.' Does that uh... that doesn't sound right, right? For a black guy?"

Martin: "Look, Jax, you're not exactly good at telling when things are racist. Remember the 50s?"

Jax: "Yeah..."

Martin: "Remember how you almost got lynched for touching that white girl?"

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

FilthyImp posted:

This is one of my faves, because it reminds me of those crazy catdrugs episodes of Hercules where Kevin Sorbo, 90s actor, was actually Hercules and the Greek Gods would gently caress with him while he was prepping his lines for Hercules TV or trying to find parking in LA.

Also a Supernatural episode.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I feel like this show would be improved if it was just the crew screwing around through history instead of chasing after Savage.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I want Ray to be traumatised, all "I killed a man! I thought I faced a nameless, faceless arbiter of time-justice but he was a man! I killed him!"

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's weird. I like this show. I like most of the characters and the situations they get in, even if they repeat the exact same mistakes every episode and go through the exact same motions of "I WILL CHANGE TIME AND SAVE X" "No, you can't, it's bad" "YET WILL I PERSIST IN DOING IT" "I have seen reason and I, Rip Hunter, shall help you but let this be the last time!"

It's not a great show. It's a fun show, but god drat is it poorly written. Yet I can't not love it.

Also, Brandon Routh in his wild west getup is pretty hot. That dude is just the best.

I feel like this idea of the Pilgrim is really great and the sort of poo poo I want out of the show but it's been kneecapped by having a bunch of other supposedly unstoppable time bandits showing up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pyroi posted:

I feel like this show would be improved if it was just the crew screwing around through history instead of chasing after Savage.

Having the crew be time troubleshooters would be a fun comic book plot. Or, similarly, have the setup be that Vandal Savage a good villain stole a time machine and they have to chase him through the ages. The plot they decided on is meandering and arbitrary even by Doctor Who standards.

Also, I've been reading a bit of old Booster Gold recently, and I'm pretty sure the comic book Rip Hunter would beat show Rip Hunter to death with a crowbar and not even feel bad about it, because show Rip is a comically incompetent time villain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I feel like this idea of the Pilgrim is really great and the sort of poo poo I want out of the show but it's been kneecapped by having a bunch of other supposedly unstoppable time bandits showing up.

I'm just gonna pretend that the town they were in being a ~time shadow~ or whatever weakened the previous guys and the Pilgrim is getting around it by hunting their younger selves in stable timelines instead of chasing these temporal terrors through one chronal calamity after another.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the problem is really with Savage, but rather that they didn't do anything interesting with the effort to get him. They could have made it a case of "I don't know where to find Savage or how to beat him so we have to follow a series of clues and vague connections until we find him." But instead they just had him go "Ok, lets go to XXXX to try and stop him. Whoops, that failed. Ok, lets try XXXX. Nope. Lets try XXXX." Too much Savage just showing up and clowning the team, not near enough intrigue and plot.

Savage should have been an ominous figure we only got quick bits of until the end of the season and not the guy the team fights every 2 episodes. Its weird since its not like that's a weird idea. Flash certainly follows that basic "save the confrontation with the big guy and the reveal of his identity/secrets until the third act" strategy. Arrow to to a lesser extent. Its a common show approach. I'm not sure why Legends screwed it up so bad.

But the thing I like is that that's an easy thing to correct next season. We like the core of the team, we like the idea of time travel adventures. So they just need to tweak the meta plot and change their approach a bit. That's very doable.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Negative Nancy Response tm: All these CW shows are filled with very easily-fixable things that they never actually fix, and in many cases just make worse.

:buddy:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah it seems odd that they run into Savage directly so often when the obvious pattern would seem to be them going after the various shell corporations, cults, and mutant enclaves that he presumably had throughout history to weaken his rise to power. And I guess they've done kinda that, but Savage is always there overseeing things personally, which is what bugs me.

Still a super fun show on par with anything else marvel is putting out.

ed: err, dc, I meant

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
The time travel in a time where Mick has to become Genghis Khan and create an empire to prevent Savage from ruling the world early. Snart pretends to be Marco Polo to bring ice and ice cream early to the world. Sara does what she does best, be time lesbian. New episodes at 8PM EST every Thursday on the CW where drama rle. and good writing goes to die.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Literally any of these synopses is better than what we're getting. Still, I enjoy the character interaction way too much and it's just fun to see the team fail again and again (until the season finale).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think the problem is really with Savage, but rather that they didn't do anything interesting with the effort to get him. They could have made it a case of "I don't know where to find Savage or how to beat him so we have to follow a series of clues and vague connections until we find him." But instead they just had him go "Ok, lets go to XXXX to try and stop him. Whoops, that failed. Ok, lets try XXXX. Nope. Lets try XXXX." Too much Savage just showing up and clowning the team, not near enough intrigue and plot.

It doesn't feel like there's much of a narrative throughline to their efforts to stop Savage's plans, because Savage doesn't really seem to have an overarching plan most of the time. Compare most of the big bads in Arrow, Flash and Supergirl. Their schemes usually have a clear sense of direction and their activities usually seem to be building up to it. I don't get the same impression from Savage in LoT. I don't feel like his plans are building up to him trying to take over the world; it feels more like he goes around selling nuclear weapons to terrorists, fomenting wars between superpowers or playing mad scientist because he enjoys it, then in Rip's time just decided world conquest might be fun to try.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

It doesn't feel like there's much of a narrative throughline to their efforts to stop Savage's plans, because Savage doesn't really seem to have an overarching plan most of the time. Compare most of the big bads in Arrow, Flash and Supergirl. Their schemes usually have a clear sense of direction and their activities usually seem to be building up to it. I don't get the same impression from Savage in LoT. I don't feel like his plans are building up to him trying to take over the world; it feels more like he goes around selling nuclear weapons to terrorists, fomenting wars between superpowers or playing mad scientist because he enjoys it, then in Rip's time just decided world conquest might be fun to try.

That would be a great angle to take if they actually worked it. I don't wanna fanfic too hard here but some kind of subversive swerve like "There was never a grand plan for ultimate world domination! I just get bored and shake up things up with a big power play every millennium or so, then 'die' and let the empire collapse and see what happens. Wouldn't you if you were 40,000 years old?" could go a long way towards recovering Savage/reframing him as a different kind of villain. Like the only reason he's taking over the entire planet in Rip's time is because advancing technology has made the world "small" enough to do so, in the past he conquered as much as was feasible for one man without blowing his immortality cover/got bored and moved on.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They should just do a season that is Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiago.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Bad Moon posted:

They should just do a season that is Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiago.

Looking forward to the episode where Snart steals Notre-Dame.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Krad posted:

In a special crossover with the Flash, Barry Allen has to run really fast in order to stop Snart from stealing all of Central City

Sara makes out with Caitlin. Ray accidentally kills Cisco and Barry Allen has to run really fast to fix it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pyroi posted:

Sara makes out with Caitlin.

Caitlin AND Iris.

Barry vanishes for most of the episode.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Caitlin AND Iris.

Barry Allen is, somehow, more competent less incompetent than Rip Hunter at time travel. Eobard Thawne is the only demonstrated time master we've seen so far.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Krad posted:

Firestorm burns down Notre Dame the school yelling "Joing a loving conference" as he flys away. Nothing of value was lost.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Time Legion finds that 1980s Muscle Beach is a temporal Nexus of immense importance. Snart, Sarah and Rory must get Swole as gently caress in order to prevent Savage from winning the Mr. Universe contest and genegineering a platoon of Thicktroopers. Rip and Stein use the Wavy Ridges medlab to analyze Jax's natural athletic edge. Ray develops a meal replacement shake that doesn't look like a glass of cum and almost gets cast in The Terminator.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 21, 2016

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This episode was great. You could tell they were having a blast with the whole western thing.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

twistedmentat posted:

Caitlin AND Iris.

I'll be in my bunk pipeline.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The Time Muffin makes a stop in last week, 2016 for fuel. Sarah ninjas into a hospital to replace her healthy sister with a dying clone, literally dropping a body in the process. Snart and Rory get more than they bargain for when they steal something for old time's sake. Ray bakes some cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Detective Lance!

• Locked thread