Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

toplitzin posted:

Looks like a new knife maker is trying to get some traction.
Has anyone gotten hands on or thoughts?

I do love my Wüsthof / Henkels

http://www.misen.co

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to call it: This is the holy grail of inexpensive chef's knives. Incredible quality and design, high-end materials, perfect balance, and a razor-sharp edge.

That's right, $65 for a knife that can go head to head with my $180 Misono UX-10 or my $120 Wüsthof and come out the other end barely breaking a sweat.

e: Having handled one I can tell you a Misono UX-10 is no slouch and cuts amazingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

e: Having handled one I can tell you a Misono UX-10 is no slouch and cuts amazingly well.

you..... do.... realize J. Kenji Lopez is an investor..... right?

gently caress misono, gently caress misen, gently caress all these brands that just get internet nerds riled up and buying poo poo on impulse and sperg mentality. I've cut with all these knives (well, not misen of course), if they're properly sharpened they're fine. if they aren't, they suck.

my MAC knives I continually enjoy, I have a shun paring knife that I feel fits the bill better than any wusthof or whatever other paring knife I've used - I have some cheap chinese cleavers which I'm sure I'd still love 700% more than a CCK cleaver if I ever were to spend the money.

You just gotta buy a ton of knives, find the ones that feel and work the best for you, and sell the others. I've paid 200 for a gyuoto from some internet shops that I'd prefer a $35 Forschner to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

mindphlux posted:

you..... do.... realize J. Kenji Lopez is an investor..... right?.
That's a pretty major claim considering his reputation and how clearly he says the opposite.

quote:

I have no affiliation with these guys, so no conflict of interest here. I just like the knives!

quote:

I'll work on my writing skills, but I have zero affiliation with these guys. As always, any kind of sponsored content is clearly labeled and no editorial content is affected by ads or sponsorships. I get no benefit from supporting this knife other than helping readers out.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I got a gift card for my birthday and would like to pick up a couple carbon steel pans. I already have a 12" selected which is great, but is an omlette pan necessary?

http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-5611-24-Omelette-Mineral-Element/dp/B00F2GYNA0

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I got a gift card for my birthday and would like to pick up a couple carbon steel pans. I already have a 12" selected which is great, but is an omlette pan necessary?

http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-5611-24-Omelette-Mineral-Element/dp/B00F2GYNA0

No - you're probably better off picking up a cheap non-stick pan to use for eggs.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Reminder to Chicago and Milwaukee area goons that the Cutlery and more Warehouse sale start this friday and goes til sunday.

If I were to get a decent instant read thermometer would I be losing anything getting a themopop instead of a thermapen? I'm only talking home use so putting it in my pocket isn't necessary and I can get 2 thermopops for $40 shipped so if they are as quick and accurate as a thermapen then thay seem ideal. Or is there thermoworks model I should look at?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pubic Lair posted:

would I be losing anything getting a themopop instead of a thermapen?

Street cred and a few seconds of your life every time you take a temperature.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Street cred and a few seconds of your life every time you take a temperature.

I watched this video and both seemed to be pretty quick compared to anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, you'll be fine

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pubic Lair posted:

I watched this video and both seemed to be pretty quick compared to anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

thats the proof that i needed to dump the thermo i have (shown in the video) and get a thermopop

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Especially when you consider that the other one is the competition's idea of a fast read. I'm sure the thermometers I have aren't as fast as that one

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I need help. I'm looking for a food processor that's about 8 to 10 cups, and the sheer volume of choices is keeping me waffling, especially when reading Amazon reviews.

I want one that can put up with regular use that can make my hummus and pesto, and sometimes when I lose my mind slice vegetables into God only knows what.

I have no clue what I'm looking for in blades or discs, all I know for sure is that I want a standalone, and not a KA attachment.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Foam Monkey posted:

I need help. I'm looking for a food processor that's about 8 to 10 cups, and the sheer volume of choices is keeping me waffling, especially when reading Amazon reviews.

I want one that can put up with regular use that can make my hummus and pesto, and sometimes when I lose my mind slice vegetables into God only knows what.

I have no clue what I'm looking for in blades or discs, all I know for sure is that I want a standalone, and not a KA attachment.

Cuisinart Food Processor of whatever matches up to your price point, capacity, and feature list. You may also get lucky and find a model at your local thrift shop for super cheap. It's how I got my 8 cup model.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've owned several food processors and the best one has been a quisinart dlc 8 i believe which is the older design with 2 pedals on the lower front that control the on/off/pulse.

My dlc came from a garage sale and has a better motor and blades than anything else I've used. Some of. The other brands even use serrated blades because they are so lovely.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Foam Monkey posted:

We bought this Breville Sous Chef not too long ago after a lot of research and we couldn't be happier. We use it for slicing, chopping, hummus, baking, etc. and it handles everything. We run it pretty much every day. Makes prep work and preparation a breeze.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that the (former CI favorite) Whynter SNO ice cream maker is discontinued, what is the top self-refrigerating maker on the market?

(Before anyone says Liquid N2 + VitaMix, this one isn't for me)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hed posted:

Now that the (former CI favorite) Whynter SNO ice cream maker is discontinued, what is the top self-refrigerating maker on the market?

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

They used to recommend the SNO also and now recommend the Whynter ICM-15LS.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Cuisinart Food Processor of whatever matches up to your price point, capacity, and feature list. You may also get lucky and find a model at your local thrift shop for super cheap. It's how I got my 8 cup model.

Pubic Lair posted:

I've owned several food processors and the best one has been a quisinart dlc 8 i believe which is the older design with 2 pedals on the lower front that control the on/off/pulse.

My dlc came from a garage sale and has a better motor and blades than anything else I've used. Some of. The other brands even use serrated blades because they are so lovely.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

We bought this Breville Sous Chef not too long ago after a lot of research and we couldn't be happier. We use it for slicing, chopping, hummus, baking, etc. and it handles everything. We run it pretty much every day. Makes prep work and preparation a breeze.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up going with this Cuisinart because even though that Breville is beautiful, I couldn't quite justify the price. Sadly the Goodwill out here has a lousy selection of kitchen counter appliances, but I was able to stock up on Pyrex that is probably older than I am, which I am always happy with.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Foam Monkey posted:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up going with this Cuisinart because even though that Breville is beautiful, I couldn't quite justify the price. Sadly the Goodwill out here has a lousy selection of kitchen counter appliances, but I was able to stock up on Pyrex that is probably older than I am, which I am always happy with.

I checked ebay but most are 80+ and missing some accessories. Try your local craigslist and see if you can find one.

This one is mostly complete but it needs the pusher top and pusher and I'm not sure how much those would be from cusinart. And at $80 shipped you could probably just get a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-Pro-Custom-11-Cup-Food-Processor-with-5-Blades-EUC-/381603653981?hash=item58d959a95d:g:6J4AAOSwAvJW~EHi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...G3EVNZRNJSA46GV

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no, is J. Kenji Lopez someone I should be avoiding? His hard boiled eggs tips worked out well enough for me.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

my MAC knives I continually enjoy, I have a shun paring knife that I feel fits the bill better than any wusthof or whatever other paring knife I've used - I have some cheap chinese cleavers which I'm sure I'd still love 700% more than a CCK cleaver if I ever were to spend the money.

Conversely, I've used many cheap chinese cleavers, and prefer my CCK. That said, I bought my CCK back when they were still cheap at 30bux.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I have the discontinued Cuisinart ICe 50BC that I'm happy with. Apparently the replacement is the Cuisinart ICE-100. The Amazon reviews seem good.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Oh no, is J. Kenji Lopez someone I should be avoiding? His hard boiled eggs tips worked out well enough for me.

No. But as with everything consider his just one voice of many when looking at reviews. I value his opinion and his recipes have not let me down, Food Lab is also a great book.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Read through the thread and saw some pressure cooker discussion, in addition to the medium-price pressure cooker in the OP. Is there any functional difference between that one and say, this one I found on Amazon for about $30 cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-...pressure+cooker

Just asking because I don't even know what to look for in these things, but they're both 4.5 stars from customer reviews.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Should be fine! I might even remove the Fagor and recommend this instead

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 22, 2016

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I was reading through the crock pot recipe thread and realized my crock pot is a ceramic bowl w/ glass lid that sits in a metal holder that heats up. Why don't manufacturers make a crock pot with an enameled cast iron insert so I can use it in the oven/stovetop as well as in the crock pot heater? Does this product exist?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

extravadanza posted:

I was reading through the crock pot recipe thread and realized my crock pot is a ceramic bowl w/ glass lid that sits in a metal holder that heats up. Why don't manufacturers make a crock pot with an enameled cast iron insert so I can use it in the oven/stovetop as well as in the crock pot heater? Does this product exist?

Crock-Pot reports that all of their removable crockery inserts may be used in the oven up to 400F, without the lid.
http://www.crock-pot.com/service-an...safety-faq.html

Crock-Pot also sells a specifically stovetop-safe Crock-Pot.
http://www.crock-pot.com/slow-cookers/crock-pot-6-quart-slow-cooker-with-stovetop-safe-cooking-pot/SCCPVI600-S.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartlebee posted:

Read through the thread and saw some pressure cooker discussion, in addition to the medium-price pressure cooker in the OP. Is there any functional difference between that one and say, this one I found on Amazon for about $30 cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-...pressure+cooker

Just asking because I don't even know what to look for in these things, but they're both 4.5 stars from customer reviews.

I have this pressure cooker and it owns bones. I use it at least once a week and have not a bad thing to say about it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I have this pressure cooker and it owns bones. I use it at least once a week and have not a bad thing to say about it.

gently caress yeah, gonna use my tax return to buy a mid-range kitchen necessity oh God is that what I've fallen to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bartlebee posted:

gently caress yeah, gonna use my tax return to buy a mid-range kitchen necessity oh God is that what I've fallen to.

If I hadn't bought a new computer with mine I'd be right there with you buddy

You're among friends here, this is a safe space

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's peoples favorite steaming technology? Is it best to get a dedicated steaming pot, or a basket to put over an existing pot? Do those inserts work at all (I'm more worried about cleaning them)?

I was hoping to do small amounts of dumplings (just for myself) and other things as I see fit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use a steaming basket in a pot. You already have a pot, and steaming baskets are $5

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't have an outdoor grill. Will a grilling pan suffice? My parents had one and it worked well, but I don't know if it's a problem to use indoors due to smoke or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

I don't have an outdoor grill. Will a grilling pan suffice? My parents had one and it worked well, but I don't know if it's a problem to use indoors due to smoke or whatever.

What do you want to use it for?

Smoke can definitely be an issue, but now much of an issue depends on what/how you're cooking, and the ventilation situation where you cook.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Subjunctive posted:

What do you want to use it for?

Smoke can definitely be an issue, but now much of an issue depends on what/how you're cooking, and the ventilation situation where you cook.

Probably just stuff like skirt steak and chicken thighs. Nothing major, at least not yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

Probably just stuff like skirt steak and chicken thighs. Nothing major, at least not yet.

Once you get a feel for the temperature so you aren't scorching everything, with decent ventilation you're probably OK. You can simulate it with a hot frying pan to test.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

You just mentioned two things that you cook in entirely different ways. Skirt steak wants blazing hot heat, chicken thighs need longer slower heat to properly give up their best.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm a huge idiot who likes baking bread, but also likes living in a cheap apartment that is poorly-insulated and has the thermostat installed next to the furnace, leading to the outer-edges of my apartment (including the kitchen) being 50-55 degrees or so during the winter, which made accurately (and reproducible) proofing dough a big hassle. So a while back I decided to waste my money on a folding bread proofer:

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Bread-Proofer-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B005FCZMU6

Since then, I've decided it actually wasn't really a waste, given my situation. It works well, folds up flat to be stored back in its box, and you can get a second rack to put in it to do twice as much bread at once. The concept is dead simple, but the product is really well made. I wouldn't recommend it to people living in a modern home with actual climate control, but if you are living in a 100 year old shithole of a house, then this works well.

I've been meaning to try it for making yogurt as well, but then I'd have to find a reason to eat that much yogurt.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

baquerd posted:

You just mentioned two things that you cook in entirely different ways. Skirt steak wants blazing hot heat, chicken thighs need longer slower heat to properly give up their best.

The recipe book I've read advises pan-frying chicken thighs...though I haven't really been impressed by the recipes in it, anyway, and they're typically boneless-skinless. Maybe I'll reconsider what I'm doing.

Subjunctive posted:

Once you get a feel for the temperature so you aren't scorching everything, with decent ventilation you're probably OK. You can simulate it with a hot frying pan to test.

I'll try it out, then! When I get a grill pan, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

The recipe book I've read advises pan-frying chicken thighs...though I haven't really been impressed by the recipes in it, anyway, and they're typically boneless-skinless. Maybe I'll reconsider what I'm doing.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are only technically chicken thighs, I would tend towards not even using those because the skin is where flavor country is at. Pound those boneless/skinless thighs out though, and no reason you couldn't cook entirely in a pan I suppose. A grilling pan though is gimmicky in general, and for chicken thighs it's a little weird. Maybe it could produce some good results though? You will still certainly want to use the pan very differently to cook skirt steak versus chicken thighs, boneless/skinless or otherwise.