Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Lets take a moment to talk about dinosaur fish in this thread. Specifically, I am interested in targeting the longnose gar.

Theres a pond nearby my apartment that are just absolutely chock full of these prehistoric monsters and some of them are quite large, so naturally I want to catch one. Problem is they seem completely uninterested in any lure I have tried so far including (unscented) plastic worms rigged wacky or texas style. They will kinda of lazily follow it for a bit but then lose interest and turn away. And that is IF I manage to present it right in front of their face.

I have been reading online about a technique involving fishing with a piece of rope or shoestring that appears to take advantage of the fact of their unique teeth placement, and sort of tangles them up into a mess -- does this really work better than a jerkbait or some such?

Has anyone tried this method? And how much does it suck to untangle from the fishes teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That looks highly unethical. If the fish tears away that mess you doomed him to starvation.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

100% speculation, but you could try a bucktail (which would have a similar appearance without the certainty of death for the fish if it breaks off or for you when you have to spend quality time to untangle something that toothy). Another approach would be some kind of cut bait under a bobber. Just be careful using fish you catch for that, since there are a lot of rules and regs that apply to what fish you can and can't use as bait.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

That water source needs a bass implant. Sounds like you got a case of the stunties.

Try bass fishing instead? Preferably with lures near the size of the suns.

Well poo poo I guess I can try that, didn't even occur to me. They don't stick close to shore do they?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I am not a book posted:

Well poo poo I guess I can try that, didn't even occur to me. They don't stick close to shore do they?

They like cover. Any drowned trees you can see from shore? Try casting near them. They can go close to shore I've caught bass in pretty small ponds from shore.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

They like cover. Any drowned trees you can see from shore? Try casting near them. They can go close to shore I've caught bass in pretty small ponds from shore.

Do bass move away from shores as the day goes on and the water warms up? If so what depths / how far out from shore do they go

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is a question for a more dedicated bass hunter than me. I am but a bass amateur.

Ask me about shallow water lingcod on the central Cali coast.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

This is a question for a more dedicated bass hunter than me. I am but a bass amateur.

Ask me about shallow water lingcod on the central Cali coast.

a bassmateur

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm a master baiter though.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm a master baiter though.

My brother and law was wearing a "Master Baiter" shirt when we went fishing on Sunday. Then we got stopped by a fish and game guy. He forgot he was wearing it til we got back.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am not a book posted:

I mostly freshwater fish for a quick fix when I don't have time to go offshore. I fish from shore on relatively small bodies, mostly ponds and canals, and catch more largemouth bass within 2-3 feet of shore than I do further out. Most places I fish have a little 1-foot drop off at that point, and bass like to patrol it when they are feeding. I caught two back to back one late afternoon this weekend just by working a texas rig parallel to shore. When they are not feeding, they hide in cover. Branches, lilies, and grass beds. I don't know if they behave all that differently in larger bodies, though.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
How do Americans get away with 6-8' rods? Is it because of the much bigger boat/kayak fishing culture you guys have? Here in the UK we tend to attach a really complicated rig (with built in feeders and all sorts of crazy looking stuff) to a 14 footer and launch it as far as possible into the river/sea and then have a cup of tea/nap/pint. You only tend to see rods under 10ft used for rock fishing or going after pike. Carp are our most prestigious coarse fish, sort of like how large mouth bass are viewed in the US, I guess.

I looked up a Carolina rig and now I really want to try that out with a 7ft rod, using a bubble float in place of a sinker and a light plug/spinner in place of the worm. Use it to get some decent casts off the rocks here in North Wales to target mackies and bass. How do you cast with the really long leader on spinning gear? I'm planning on 4ft of flouro leader under the float. Sorta like a hybrid between a Carolina rig and a Scottish bubble and flea rig. I can't imagine the way I learned how to cast any distance here working optimally with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2iH7IXa4I

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Here in Australia most lakes and streams are accessible using a 7' rod, and a lot of places are overgrown so there isn't room for casting a surf rod. I don't know what course fishing rods are like in the UK but here a 10'+ rod would be considered too heavy for our freshwater targets and you'd just be winching the fish in.

Carp here are a massive pest and only ever get caught once before having their throat cut and getting thrown in the bush so they don't have a chance to learn to avoid clumsy presentations. A bit of corn on a running sinker rig will bring them undone easily enough. These are a couple my mate caught the other day, he uses a 7' 1-3kg rod with 6lb line and it can take up to 15 minutes to bring in some fish with that setup.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Here in Australia most lakes and streams are accessible using a 7' rod, and a lot of places are overgrown so there isn't room for casting a surf rod. I don't know what course fishing rods are like in the UK but here a 10'+ rod would be considered too heavy for our freshwater targets and you'd just be winching the fish in.

Carp here are a massive pest and only ever get caught once before having their throat cut and getting thrown in the bush so they don't have a chance to learn to avoid clumsy presentations. A bit of corn on a running sinker rig will bring them undone easily enough. These are a couple my mate caught the other day, he uses a 7' 1-3kg rod with 6lb line and it can take up to 15 minutes to bring in some fish with that setup.

Good lord the scales on that top photo look huge.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Good lord the scales on that top photo look huge.

That's a mirror carp, it's a mutation that fucks with the growth of the scales. I think in the UK they're seen as an especially prized fish but here they end up thrown in the bush or buried in the tomato patch just like the others.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

Here those would be put back in the water after weighing with as much care as possible. I've never fished carp so I can't tell you how sensitive the rods are, but for the amount of stuff they can launch I imagine they are pretty drat strong. Legering a float down a river with a well made centrepin and a 10ft rod to keep line off the water is also pretty popular. Almost all of our fishing methods seem boring as poo poo compared to the USA and Australia. Probably why I've done 90% of my fishing on holiday or chased pike. Yet to catch one.

Another reason I like salt water is no rod license required (if you don't go after trout/salmon) and you don't have to deal with local fishing rights. Used to live in a place where one club controlled pretty much all of the local river, with one small public spot which was super-crowded on any decent fishing day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Isnak posted:

Here those would be put back in the water after weighing with as much care as possible. I've never fished carp so I can't tell you how sensitive the rods are, but for the amount of stuff they can launch I imagine they are pretty drat strong. Legering a float down a river with a well made centrepin and a 10ft rod to keep line off the water is also pretty popular. Almost all of our fishing methods seem boring as poo poo compared to the USA and Australia. Probably why I've done 90% of my fishing on holiday or chased pike. Yet to catch one.

Another reason I like salt water is no rod license required (if you don't go after trout/salmon) and you don't have to deal with local fishing rights. Used to live in a place where one club controlled pretty much all of the local river, with one small public spot which was super-crowded on any decent fishing day.

Yeah British fishing is really strangely aristocratic with basically over sized garbage goldfish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Isnak posted:

Here those would be put back in the water after weighing with as much care as possible.

Is it true some people put betadine on the carp's lips before they let it go to stop it getting an infection?

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Yes, they almost always use the smallest circle hooks possible and I imagine the rods have a really light tip because I've heard people complaining about fishing poles/whips (chav tenkara) ripping carp lips.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

lol
I kinda want to visit and check out the carp scene over there now. Sitting in the pub drinking while waiting for a rod to go off as rain pisses down would be pretty fun to try once in your life I reckon.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A couple years ago I was in Chicago for work and on a day off decided to check out this tackle shop I passed the day before.

It turned out to be an all carp fishing place. It was the strangest crap I have ever seen, the gear looked like fishing stuff, but was totally alien on closer inspection. I talked to the owner for a long time, he was super excited to find out that I live by Washington DC, I guess the Tidal Basin is some amazing carp fishery? Any case we got back about how I spent the rest of the day watching British carp fishing videos on YouTube, that poo poo is funny as hell, one of the shows was like half an hour of these two old guys discussing which brand of generic SPAM works best as chum.

Do you guys really have nothing else to fish for, just carp? Even the Japanese have bass.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm now imagining some fisherman offering a fish a nip of brandy to ease the soreness before letting it go with a few kind words and an encouraging pat on the head.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm now imagining some fisherman offering a fish a nip of brandy to ease the soreness before letting it go with a few kind words and an encouraging pat on the head.

Is'nt there one famous British carp people loved catching so much that they made a memorial of him when he died?

Edit: jeezuz u guis http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ory-Museum.html

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 28, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dunno about a pat on the head but giving them a kiss before you let them go is the done thing here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wVO7Yusrk&t=372s

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
We have chubb, barbel, pike, zander, perch. I've never heard of people fishing for catfish here but I'm sure we have them, and fresh water eels. Pike and zander are getting a lot more respect these days. Not too long ago people would throw them in the bushes if they caught them. If you're really fancy you might have a trout and salmon fishing license. Except in Scotland where I think you are legally allowed to poach a certain amount of fish with no license? I have no clue, they make English fishing laws look simple.

Look at this beautiful piece of carp fishing technology. It looks fun as heck to cast. That's a spod bomb, a type of feeder you stuff with maggots or your weird home-made bread and spam mix. Then I think you cast another rod out with a hook on it or something? I don't know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Carp fishing is dumb. Brits just working with the best they can get with their terrible polluted old ecosystem.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
So I've been fishing from shore for close to 25 years and recently moved to an area where I know no spots... it seems a boat is in my future. The only problem is boats are real expensive and I am a poor and also have no hitch-capable towing vehicle. This pretty much limits me to inflatables or canoes and kayaks that I can haul on top of a car.

I'd really prefer something I could stand in, since that makes sight fishing easier, as well as distance and fly casting. Anyone have experience with a stand up capable canoe or kayak setup? I was considering the meyers/Radisson sportspal series but they are hard to find in my area.... closest dealer is 300 miles away.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

People can stand up in a Hobie PA, they're almost as expensive as a little tinny though.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

YarPirate posted:

So I've been fishing from shore for close to 25 years and recently moved to an area where I know no spots... it seems a boat is in my future. The only problem is boats are real expensive and I am a poor and also have no hitch-capable towing vehicle. This pretty much limits me to inflatables or canoes and kayaks that I can haul on top of a car.

I'd really prefer something I could stand in, since that makes sight fishing easier, as well as distance and fly casting. Anyone have experience with a stand up capable canoe or kayak setup? I was considering the meyers/Radisson sportspal series but they are hard to find in my area.... closest dealer is 300 miles away.

What's your budget like? I can stand in my Hobie Outback, but that is usually with a stake out pole, a super calm day and lots of practice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

That's a mirror carp, it's a mutation that fucks with the growth of the scales. I think in the UK they're seen as an especially prized fish but here they end up thrown in the bush or buried in the tomato patch just like the others.
Please don't throw them into the brush after you catch and kill them, I've had fishing days ruined because someone threw a 8-9 lb carp over a nearby fence and left it to rot and stink up everything within 60 yards.

I mean they're just dead fish - why not put them into the water :downsrim:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I find it very satisfying when I can figure out a localized pattern. I spent most of the afternoon at this little river by my friend's house, waiting for her to get of of work. It is a small stream, dammed up to give maybe a mile or two of 30' wide-ish slack water. It was a pretty rocky valley before, so it is pretty deep with a pronounced channel in the center.

I have fished it dozens of times before with no luck, only catching when I had hiked maybe two miles past the impoundment and fished the running water. Today however, I figured it out. Find a sharpish inside bend, cast a small paddle tail 90d out from the bank, slow roll it into the channel, then kill it. Two small hops and fish on. It worked at every bend and when I finally had to turn around I was at a spot where I was catching every third cast or so. I must have pulled a dozen bass out of this one 40' section of river.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Rythe posted:

What's your budget like? I can stand in my Hobie Outback, but that is usually with a stake out pole, a super calm day and lots of practice.

1500 would be the absolute upper limit for the boat + basic accessories (life jackets, paddles)... I can accumulate extra stuff like depth finders / trolling motors afterwards. I realize that eliminates the possibility of getting the cool hands free propulsion boats, which kinda makes me sad, but i'll get over it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have seen some huge dudes standing in the Jackson line of kayaks.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
For anyone counting down days until opener, check out 39 hours. Really good casual, educational multispecies competition across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X6m1ko4JA

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Ikantski posted:

For anyone counting down days until opener, check out 39 hours. Really good casual, educational multispecies competition across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X6m1ko4JA

Couldn't agree more. Uncut Angling is by far the most entertaining fishing show out there.

The one dude does an awesome Al Lindner impression as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

YarPirate posted:

1500 would be the absolute upper limit for the boat + basic accessories (life jackets, paddles)... I can accumulate extra stuff like depth finders / trolling motors afterwards. I realize that eliminates the possibility of getting the cool hands free propulsion boats, which kinda makes me sad, but i'll get over it.

Check out some second hand yaks. As long as the hull and sounder is in good nick there isn't really any advantage to buying them new unless you hate money and you usually get it fully kitted out.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Snapped the tip portion off the end of my graphite rod, just before it meets the next guide down the rod. Is it still usable? Is it possible/advisable to replace the guide now on the end with a proper tip guide?

Didn't buy this rod too long ago, my first graphite so I'm learning the hard way to be more gentle with it.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Depends on the rod, it will be far less sensitive then it was, but could still be useful for bait fishing or the like.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can get a glue on spare tip for $1 at any fishing outfitter. If it was a fast action rod it may be really stiff and insensitive. If if it was a slower action (flimsy) rod, then it'll probably be better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Thanks for the advise. Yeah, it's a fast action finesse lure rod, luckily a pretty cheap one. Got the tip replaced after work and it is pretty stiff now... So that was an excuse to spend a whole heap of money and order Ala brand spanking new 2016 Daiwa Generation Black V2 Itchy Twitchy. So of course soon I'll need to spend an even greater sum on a nice reel to match it.

Ever since I started fishing all I can wonder is where all my money's gone...