Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I'm pretty sure when he's talking to the priest in MoS, the stained glass window with Jesus has Jesus wearing a red cloak over a blue tunic, too.

And in BvS there's a stained glass window in the Wayne family mausoleum with an angel with the same red cloak + blue tunic getup, too. (Dunno if it's worth spoiler tagging, but better safe than sorry I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Speaking of BvS, I'm wondering what people's take on a bit of symbolism was

Lex's painting of the angels and devils. Would you say it was referring more to Batman and Superman, or about Darkseid coming from above?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Canemacar posted:

Speaking of BvS, I'm wondering what people's take on a bit of symbolism was

Lex's painting of the angels and devils. Would you say it was referring more to Batman and Superman, or about Darkseid coming from above?

Undoubtedly the latter. Given the weird-rear end future flashback dream thing Bruce has seems to have Parademons in it at the end.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zebulon posted:

Undoubtedly the latter. Given the weird-rear end future flashback dream thing Bruce has seems to have Parademons in it at the end.

Not to mention the enormous Omega symbols everywhere, which Darkseid uses much like Prince did.

I'm guessing that DC saw Marvel is having their big bad Thanos coming on the horizon, and they wanted their own big alien guy with a hosed-up face ready to drop at the same time.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Not a movie, but the Mad Men/30 Rock/Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt thing continues to be amazing.

Spoilers for the new season of Kimmy Schmidt, which just came out, and Mad Men too, I suppose:

At one point Kimmy is talking about the Reverend (played by Jon Hamm) who'd held her captive, and dismissively says something like "He lied about a lot of stuff. He said he came up with the 'I'd like to buy the world a Coke' song". Which, of course, refers to the final scene of Mad Men, which implies that Don Draper was the one to unleash that jingle upon the world. Maybe. Anyway, it goes along with the fact that in the last season, the Reverend's bible turned out to be the book The Andromeda Strain, which Don was seen reading, presumably for the first time, on one of the last episodes of Mad Men a few weeks later.

Also at one point in the new season, a character is seen drinking Old Spanish in a can

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Not a movie, but the Mad Men/30 Rock/Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt thing continues to be amazing.

Spoilers for the new season of Kimmy Schmidt, which just came out, and Mad Men too, I suppose:

At one point Kimmy is talking about the Reverend (played by Jon Hamm) who'd held her captive, and dismissively says something like "He lied about a lot of stuff. He said he came up with the 'I'd like to buy the world a Coke' song". Which, of course, refers to the final scene of Mad Men, which implies that Don Draper was the one to unleash that jingle upon the world. Maybe. Anyway, it goes along with the fact that in the last season, the Reverend's bible turned out to be the book The Andromeda Strain, which Don was seen reading, presumably for the first time, on one of the last episodes of Mad Men a few weeks later.

Also at one point in the new season, a character is seen drinking Old Spanish in a can

... I really should get around to watching Mad Men. I loved the first season of Kimmy; kinda bummed I may have missed a bunch of subtle moments since I never watched Mad Men.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It wasn't very subtle but this thread has posted unsubtle things frequently. I liked how in the new Jungle Book movie Mowgli finds a cowbell in King Louie's ruin. Louie is voiced by Christopher Walken.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Was watching Back To The Future II yet again and noticed when Marty follows Biff outside the dance you can see Biff's friend in the 3D glasses shake the last few drops out of a liquour bottle before handing it to Biff while stifling a laugh. Biff then whips the empty bottle across the stairway once he realizes its empty. Probably helps explain why Strickland smelled booze, since it was not only on Biff's breath but on the ground at his feet.

I could only find the scene in crappy quality in a comparison video at 1:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD63ChsBakw&t=110s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Hannibal's pilot episode Will says "you wouldn't like me when I'm psychoanalysed" but it's not just a lame joke, Edward Norton who played Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk has also played Will Graham in the film Red Dragon.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

EmmyOk posted:

In Hannibal's pilot episode Will says "you wouldn't like me when I'm psychoanalysed" but it's not just a lame joke, Edward Norton who played Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk has also played Will Graham in the film Red Dragon.

Are we just copy-pasting IMDB trivia now?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I imagine it is trivia but otoh it is possible to work this out if you have seen these things. For example Timothy Olyphant played Danny the sexy salesman Ryan loses the final Dundee to and the drug dealer from The Girl Next Door not just Raylan. How could I work this out !?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I meant more that these 'X played Y in [movie] with Z who also played Y in [another movie]' pieces of trivia are extremely boring.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess, it was a fun realisation though because that line felt so jarring before and it wasn't til this rewatch it clicked.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Some of them IMDB Trivia nuggets are loving bonkers too.

Like, I went through and read all the ones for Stephen King films and how many of them included the trivia, "X uses a toilet in this film just like when X stared in Y film" is crazy. 6 degrees of using the shitter. loving hell.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Some of them IMDB Trivia nuggets are loving bonkers too.

When the first season of Netflix's Daredevil was out, there was piece of trivia on IMDB that said "Daredevil is blind."

It's since been removed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

10 Beers posted:

When the first season of Netflix's Daredevil was out, there was piece of trivia on IMDB that said "Daredevil is blind."

It's since been removed.

That's horrible!

How will we know how many people found it interesting?!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's no way that Daredevil is actually blind. Why would he have eye-holes on his mask?!?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In season 2 there are a few moments where they zoom in on Matt's face and you can see Charlie Cox blinking behind the plastic eyes and it's really distracting.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So what you're saying is

Daredevil

can't read

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Smiling Jack posted:

So what you're saying is

Daredevil

can't read

That's a common misconception! It's actually his partner Foggy (played by Brad Pitt in the Netflix series) who is illiterate.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

EmmyOk posted:

In season 2 there are a few moments where they zoom in on Matt's face and you can see Charlie Cox blinking behind the plastic eyes and it's really distracting.

Yeah I had the same thought. In-universe, wouldn't it be way better for the mask to have a solid faceplate without eye holes? It would have fewer vulnerable points and make Daredevil seem even more mysterious. And out-of-universe, I have a hard time believing that they couldn't manage to swap in a mask with solid/opaque eyes for close-up scenes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not a subtle moment so much as a lot of subtle touches I guess. I work with blind people and Charlie Cox does an extremely good job at portraying a blind person.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

EmmyOk posted:

Blind people still blink.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Forums cloned my post for some reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Blind people still blink.

I know. I meant that I assumed the eyeholes were supposed to be totally opaque but you could just about see the eyes through them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I know. I meant that I assumed the eyeholes were supposed to be totally opaque but you could just about see the eyes through them.

charlie cox is not blind and must see to act

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

I don't understand, please elaborate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

scary ghost dog posted:

He could learn a lesson or two from Brad Pitt.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Charlie we need you to act as a blind guy for this next role."

"Okay I'll get the bleach"

"No we'll need you to see for the inevitable Stardust sequel"

"So what? I think myself blind?"

"Let me get Brad on the phone"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Patattack posted:

Yeah I had the same thought. In-universe, wouldn't it be way better for the mask to have a solid faceplate without eye holes? It would have fewer vulnerable points and make Daredevil seem even more mysterious.

Daredevil doesn't want his opponents to know that he's blind otherwise they start trying to use it to their advantage like those pesky ninjas in the latest Netflix series.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have it on good authority that Charlie Cox blinded himself for Daredevil

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

AnonSpore posted:

I have it on good authority that Charlie Cox blinded himself for Daredevil

No, no he can see the words just fine! He just can't make sense of them is all.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daredevil doesn't want his opponents to know that he's blind otherwise they start trying to use it to their advantage like those pesky ninjas in the latest Netflix series.

This, but also, when you give a poo poo about your secret identity and you are the only notable blind white guy in town, you probably don't want to have a huge clue like that just out in the open.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He'd get away with it too because not many people could tell if the braille notes actually meant what he said they did, crafty.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

CzarChasm posted:

This, but also, when you give a poo poo about your secret identity and you are the only notable blind white guy in town, you probably don't want to have a huge clue like that just out in the open.

But how does he know he's white...... Makes you think

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

But how does he know he's white...... Makes you think

"Does Dad know!?!"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I finally caught Spotlight last night. There's a scene with Rachel McAdams interviewing a victim of abuse in a bar. There's a football game on the TV, which isn't surprising, but the team is Penn State, and the shot ends with Joe Paterno the on the screen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

only notable blind white guy in nyc lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

only notable blind white guy in nyc lol

To be fair it's specifically Hell's Kitchen. It's like he never leaves the neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Henchman of Santa posted:

To be fair it's specifically Hell's Kitchen. It's like he never leaves the neighborhood.

And he happens to interact with a LOT of the same people as both a superhero and a civilian. Which is...probably not a fantastic idea for his secret identity in the long run.