Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/divisions...ign=buffer_grfb

my favorite gamesite decided to decent into the Moral clickbate bullshit.

because shooting violent criminals/psychopaths/ wannabee fascists in time of "everything is hosed" is bad m'kay. they never did nothing wrong. we are the real badguys.

Honestly I think the game is somewhat tonedef. but acting like its magic murder simulator is bullshit?

They got you to link to them so mission accomplished I guess.

Palpek posted:

Also a reminder that Gearbox stole the distinictive art concept and also the general concept for Borderlands from a short called CodeHunters (watch it if you haven't, it's pretty cool)

Bright colors + cell shading + generic sci-fi isn't really original or distinctive enough to be something you can rip off or claim to begin with. I don't understand why Borderlands breaks some people so much that it's not enough for it to be a bad game, it has to be completely illegal and immoral from toe to rip and be led by Hitler mk II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I never got into god of war. I just never found kratos to be a "likable"/interesting character. I get that he isnt supposed to be and that the gods are bigger dicks then him. but it never got into it. He is just an angery stupid rear end in a top hat who hates himself for killing his family and thats it.

I think the first game stands well on its own, it isn't until the sequels where kratos goes full rear end in a top hat imo. Before that he's just an angry spartan going on a hero's journey and then the sequels dropped any attempt at making it out to be like actual myth and just had kratos running around killing all the named deities and destroying all the named places. That's not saying the sequels are bad, just that the first game did a good enough job wrapping up kratos' character before the sequels took him to an extreme

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guy Mann posted:

They got you to link to them so mission accomplished I guess.

Bright colors + cell shading + generic sci-fi isn't really original or distinctive enough to be something you can rip off or claim to begin with. I don't understand why Borderlands breaks some people so much that it's not enough for it to be a bad game, it has to be completely illegal and immoral from toe to rip and be led by Hitler mk II.

Probaly because its an easy target. gameplay is sorta crap but polarizing". the Humor is poo poo and main writer is/was a massive sadbrain and airs his sexual/marital laundry in public. plus gearbox are bunch of thieves and con-artists who lied to the public about a bunch of poo poo including an entire game. Its more the drama that surrounds it like cload of flys then the series itself. I actually liked the tell-tale borderlands game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/divisions...ign=buffer_grfb

my favorite gamesite decided to decent into the Moral clickbate bullshit.

because shooting violent criminals/psychopaths/ wannabee fascists in time of "everything is hosed" is bad m'kay. they never did nothing wrong. we are the real badguys.

Honestly I think the game is somewhat tonedef. but acting like its magic murder simulator is bullshit.

Man that was so much better than your standard Games Radar article.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the first game stands well on its own, it isn't until the sequels where kratos goes full rear end in a top hat imo. Before that he's just an angry spartan going on a hero's journey and then the sequels dropped any attempt at making it out to be like actual myth and just had kratos running around killing all the named deities and destroying all the named places. That's not saying the sequels are bad, just that the first game did a good enough job wrapping up kratos' character before the sequels took him to an extreme

It was also the gameplay too. I have never been good at QTE heavy stuff.

Steve2911 posted:

Man that was so much better than your standard Games Radar article.

lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Probaly because its an easy target. gameplay is sorta crap but polarizing". the Humor is poo poo and main writer is/was a massive sadbrain and airs his sexual/marital laundry in public. plus gearbox are bunch of thieves and con-artists who lied to the public about a bunch of poo poo including an entire game. Its more the drama that surrounds it like cload of flys then the series itself. I actually liked the tell-tale borderlands game.

True story: my wife bought me a copy of Colonial Marines for my birthday because it came out that week and she knows I love the movies. I saw the general outcry, did not open it, returned it back to Amazon (she read the reviews and was not hurt when I did this, fear not for her), and got my car detailed. I promptly forgot about the title until today when people mentioned it in this thread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

True story: my wife bought me a copy of Colonial Marines for my birthday because it came out that week and she knows I love the movies. I saw the general outcry, did not open it, returned it back to Amazon (she read the reviews and was not hurt when I did this, fear not for her), and got my car detailed. I promptly forgot about the title until today when people mentioned it in this thread.

I was one of the poor fucks who preordered it too. love the movies. played it. and then returned it to an FYE and got 45 bucks back.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

I actually enjoyed Borderlands so keep your assumptions to yourself. Imo there are way too many similarities between that short and stuff in Borderlands that go beyond visual style inspiration - they basically used it as a free storyboard and character development sheet that they tweaked. It's something that you hire artists for. This specifically bothers me because I have something to do with graphic design professionaly and I see stories like these in everyday life and it sucks - even moreso that they actually met with the author about using his ideas in the game and when that didn't work out they used them anyway without paying him.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 18, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I played a truly insane amount of BL2 so it's hard to say it's a bad game, but... it has a lot of problems.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It works if you look at it as a 3D arpg with guns which is an awesome idea really. For the same reason it's better in co-op.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Borderlands environments are like the ugliest things, the games are very hard to look at imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the butt though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

It's pretty funny to me how much venom people build up when it comes to those games, and how much crying people do about all the internet references oh god they said something from the internet what a terrible thing!!!!

I played BL2 and thought it was a fun game to do shootmans and it was even more fun multiplayer. Deal with it, nerds.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's okay to like bad games

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

how much crying people do about all the internet references oh god they said something from the internet what a terrible thing!!!!

there were people on this forum who complained about the sunlight covenant in dark souls 2 because solaire and praising the sun and all that poo poo were "memes"

which originated in the previous game in the same series that took place in the same world

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I like the butt though

I just got to old haven for the first time and tbh it is such a breath of fresh air to be playing around in a place that feels somewhat like an actual town rather than the previous "we put some trash by the water" or "we put some trash by the desert" or "we put some trash by a mine" or "we put some trash in this cave"

So much fuckin trash

So much of the same damned signs and graffiti

there are only so many times you can paste "PIS OFF" or "TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN" or "<- EITHER OR ->" man

tho I liked it when I found an upside down "TROUBLE ->" sign because I assume given the sign was hanging from a bridge that the person who painted it did so upside down so they thought it was correct until they finished

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

there were people on this forum who complained about the sunlight covenant in dark souls 2 because solaire and praising the sun and all that poo poo were "memes"

which originated in the previous game in the same series that took place in the same world

I guess there's a fine line between fun reference and fanservice

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If I get a PS4 now what games are must-haves besides Bloodborne?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Palpek posted:

Until Dawn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Palpek posted:

rtchet and clnk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

the uncharted collections and uncharted 4 when it drops.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

ps4 true exclusives only?

ratchet and clank
Earth defense force
Resogun

come to mind.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

There's a lot of possibly awesome RPGs coming out if you're into JRPG stuff

New Nier, Ni No Kuni, Persona

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Real hurthling! posted:

ps4 true exclusives only?
If something comes out on Xbox One too then it counts but anything on PC I'll most likely get on PC.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last of Us Remastered is also good if you never got a chance to play it on PS4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

If something comes out on Xbox One too then it counts but anything on PC I'll most likely get on PC.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

batman 3 and mkx are best on ps4 since the pc versions are crap in case you wanted to try those but haven't. diablo 3 is better on ps4 too because of the control scheme.

otherwise you're better off on pc for western games.

If you like japanese poo poo there's a lot more good stuff on ps3/ps4 crossgen that's worth getting but not everybody goes for anime.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's fun to run around as the neon flash in infamous second son. the rest of the game is not too good though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah if you like jrpgs there's a bunch of those on the ps4. but i can't really judge if you are the kind of person who will want to play DIGIMON CYBER SLEUTH so :shrug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
you mean best game of 2016, DIGIMON CYBER SLEUTH?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The way to know if a person will like Nier 2 or Persona 5 is if they have good taste...........

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baal posted:

you're drat right i do

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Baal posted:

Pretty sure the Homestuck game is due out this year

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
good man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if every ps4 game listed for 2016 comes out its going to be an insane year

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

actually king's quest came out last year

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

if every ps4 game listed for 2016 comes out its going to be an insane year

They've kinda got to make up for lost time.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Broseph Brostar posted:

undertale came out last year though

corn in the bible posted:

actually king's quest came out last year

lmao

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I finally got around to trying TLOU multiplayer and goons were right, it's really fun if very tough coming from straight shooters. Playing with other goons is helping a lot though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ARAGE/alien-rage-unlimited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah dammit

all my research

*sweeps scholarly Buck Bumble research papers off desk in disgust*

Your research sucked anyways, both bioshock game and mgs 3 featured weaponized hornets/wasps

• Locked thread