Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

:allears:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The UTI song might be my favorite so far.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't like the start of this episode but it ended fairly well. The doctor ruled but Paula is starting to annoy me with her Josh obsession.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She's very annoying but I'm glad they're doing it this way since Paula has always been a bit crazier and more obsessed than Rebecca was. So I'm glad that Rebecca making progress didn't just automatically extend to Paula.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

That's how I'm feeling too. Paula has always enabled Rebecca's obsessive behavior, but it comes across a lot worse when Rebecca is finally making positive changes and Paula is desperately fighting against it. I'm just hoping for Rebecca to put her foot down and confront Paula about how awful she's being.= in the next couple episodes.

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 15, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

There's only 1 more episode left in this season, so it looks bit unlikely. I'm just hoping that they don't break up Grebecca in the finale.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I've been (re)watching this show with my friend and the character growth from early season Rebecca to current Rebecca is dramatic and super noticeable (in a good way). By contrast, Paula hasn't really changed or matured that much as a person.

Also, Paula is a bad mother and a bad wife, but I still feel for her because she tries so hard to do what she thinks is right. :(

Edit: My money's on Josh and Valencia breaking up (probably over him not wanting to marry her) and him confessing his feelings to Rebecca. Given that they got a second season, I'm going to tentatively guess "Paula enables her into eventually dumping Greg for Josh at the end of the episode and season two explores the realization of how that was a bad idea because she put him on a pedestal and that never works out."

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 15, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clevermuldoon posted:

That's how I'm feeling too. Paula has always enabled Rebecca's obsessive behavior, but it comes across a lot worse when Rebecca is finally making positive changes and Paula is desperately fighting against it. I'm just hoping for Rebecca to put her foot down and confront Paula about how awful she's being.= in the next couple episodes.

She has like three times and it doesn't seem to be taking hold hence the frustration.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paula hasn't grown because it's never really been acknowledged that Paula is messed up too and she's certainly never accepted that. She's pushed the whole Josh thing hard and she flat out admitted that she was the driving force half the time when she was justifying the wedding dress thing as just another time she pushed Rebecca into one of the crazy schemes. Paula's obsession has been excused by her marriage being boring or her being worried that she has nothing in common with Rebecca but really it obviously goes much deeper to some problem Paula has. Paula doesn't see that and Rebecca hasn't called her on it so she has only gotten worse through the season while the people addressing their poo poo got better.

And I think a big part of it is that Rebecca and the show kind of treat it as Paula enabling her but really I think Paula is just using Rebecca/Josh as an excuse. If Rebecca had never come to West Covina Paula would have been just as messed up because whatever is broken was there before Rebecca. In the same way that Greg and Josh were always unhappy with their lives and Rebecca's crazy only made them address it.

Oddly I think the one person who really sees it is that mute lady in the office. She's the one who has routinely seen Paula being really crazy all on her own and given her lots of judgmental looks. It's been a funny little way to acknowledge Paula's problems by someone who is disconnected from the rest of the cast and couldn't really make an issue of it.

But considering the next episodes title is "Paula Needs To Get Over Josh!" I think we're ok.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Her name is Mrs. Hernandez!

e: Also I loved Josh's song but his kiddy talk is really creepy though not as creepy as when he did it while Rebecca was talking to him and wanting to jump his bones.

e2: next episode is called "Paula needs to get over Josh"

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 15, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EmmyOk posted:

Her name is Mrs. Hernandez!
My bad. I was too lazy to look it up.

quote:

e: Also I loved Josh's song but his kiddy talk is really creepy though not as creepy as when he did it while Rebecca was talking to him and wanting to jump his bones.

The more we get to know Josh the more I'm just kind of weirded out by what a man child he is and how Rebecca's probably in a healthier place. I actually think that's a really funny element of the show. Josh was this idealized fantasy for Rebecca but he's actually kind of a loser.

Didn't they say that they changed plans for Josh's character once they saw how the actor played him? I really wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was for Rebecca to slowly realize that the guy she was idealizing was really a loser/douche. But then the actor played him with a lot of earnestness and likability so they shifted to make him a more endearing character who grows up throw the series.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

PittTheElder posted:

I want that shower curtain.

I have that shower curtain! Can't remember if it was from Daiso or World Market.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PittTheElder posted:

I want that shower curtain.

Rachel Bloom got you covered.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/719687023376748544
How do you embed tweets in SA? I know that it's possible.
Edit: Huh, so they just don't show up in the post preview. Cool.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

The more we get to know Josh the more I'm just kind of weirded out by what a man child he is and how Rebecca's probably in a healthier place. I actually think that's a really funny element of the show. Josh was this idealized fantasy for Rebecca but he's actually kind of a loser.

Didn't they say that they changed plans for Josh's character once they saw how the actor played him? I really wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was for Rebecca to slowly realize that the guy she was idealizing was really a loser/douche. But then the actor played him with a lot of earnestness and likability so they shifted to make him a more endearing character who grows up throw the series.
To an extent, yes, they said they sort of changed stuff around after realizing they could do more with Vincent Rodriguez III. Which is great I think.

Also I dunno if it's weird or fitting or whatnot but there have been a lot of studies that show statistically women with higher education usually only pursue men with higher education. Obviously this doesn't apply because this is a TV show. But I do find it odd but reasonable in the show's context that a literal Harvard grad power lawyer falls for the lovable goof who can't even interview properly for a supervisor position at an electronics shop.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I love that every episode title reads like a crazy Facebook post about Josh!!!!

Its a nice subtle touch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Tonight's the season finale. Have fun with that! If they can stick the landing, then this was quite a good season of tv.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, here's a fun fact about the finale, thanks to the album dropping:

Rebecca doesn't have a song.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hoo boy

What a disaster

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Season 2 episode 1 is gonna definitely be a sight to behold.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I knew I was right to feel an indescribable sadness during "Oh my god I think I like you"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The television watcher loved the episode. The Gregbecca shipper in me hated it, but I still liked it overall.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Somebody check and see if EmmyOk's TV has a brick in it.

My God we are in for a horror show next season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It'll be okay

Everything will be okay

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I was really ready to dislike this episode a whole lot but the premise reveal and Josh's reaction at the end made me do a full 180. That dam definitely needed to burst before Rebecca could make any kind of progress and there's a lot of payoff waiting for us next season I think.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Greg is an idiot who wants to avoid becoming his father yet seems absolutely determined to become his father. And I love him and want him to succeed.

And I love this show.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thoughts as I was watching.

I screamed like a crazed fangirl when I saw Lea Salonga. I was just waiting for her song. Just perfect.

The bird going "what? No, what?"

White Josh yelling "We're fancy, deal with it!" to no one in particular.

Also lol at the train wreck of a finale. I really like how they went back to no, Rebecca is seriously crazy and unhealthy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man the whole time Greg was trying to be "cool" and everything was so cringeworthy because I used to be like that guy. Like holy poo poo that is ultimate sourpuss level.

Also I'm gonna guess the final song of the season was original but it sounded totally like something legit out of a Disney movie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Right, it was supposed to. The singer was also Lea Salonga who voiced Jasmine ( and Mulan).

It was perfect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh boy, that was something. Paula was really scary there. Like "Is this person going to strangle me to death to absorb my life energy?"-scary. :stare:
I loved Valencias celebration dance. I'm actually kinda rooting for her now. She's one of the least self destructive characters and I hope that she wont sink into misery now.
I also liked the little bit of bird singing. The fact that Rebecca can't actually sing outside of her imagination is one of my favorite jokes.

Greg and Josh are both idiots with serious commitment issues. But while Josh acts all casual and childish all the time, because that's just who he is, Greg goes out of the way to pretend to be someone else, because he's terrified of the idea that people don't actually like the real him. The fact that this is Rebeccas type (the theater douche lacked commitment too) is seriously sad and obviously has something to do with her deadbeat dad. She wants a romantic Disney ending, but really doesn't want to think about the work required in the "happily ever after".

This ending actually makes me somewhat sad. They are all messed up people who can't help but destroy everything they touch.
Keep in mind that this was finished before the renewal, which looked quite unlikely at that point. So this might have been it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Air is lava! posted:

Keep in mind that this was finished before the renewal, which looked quite unlikely at that point. So this might have been it.

Bloom has said, though, that she wrote the finale assuming they would be renewed.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I like that Rebecca didn't act crazy until the very last scene. Greg and Valencia sabotaged themselves without her help and then Josh came to her all on his own.

Paula's rendition of Rose's Turn was my favorite song of the night.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Bloom has said, though, that she wrote the finale assuming they would be renewed.
Yes I know. But she took a gamble there. No matter what she planned, this could have been the end of this show. And frankly I'd hate that. This ending only works if you know there's going to be a fallout afterwards. Otherwise someone might think that this is literally a happy ending.

Are there still people who want Rebecca to end up with Josh? Looking at it from a distance, he's kind of a giant rear end in a top hat this episode. What's basically his proposal amounts to "Alright, I see what you're doing there, I'm not stupid so I'll go shopping for a ring, if I really have to...". And then within an hour of his breakup, he ditches his sisters wedding to sleep with his best friends girlfriend, after he already kissed her while she was in another relationship. And now he's already having doubts.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The biggest thing the episodes since the kiss has done was got me to actively sympathize with Valencia, to the point where I was glad she dumped him instead of the other way around.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

wow greg is terrible at reading people

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Phoon posted:

wow greg is terrible at reading people

And/Or he's incredibly gifted at self-sabotage.

The "(Hey, West Covina) What'll It Be?" melody playing under him tanking his response to Rebecca added an extra level of :smith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Dear Joshua Felix Chan played under the Josh/Rebecca scenes, too, instead of West Covina.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

yeah that became clear

im so hyped for season 2

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Senerio posted:

The biggest thing the episodes since the kiss has done was got me to actively sympathize with Valencia, to the point where I was glad she dumped him instead of the other way around.

Manchild and Control-freak break up over control issues. Manchild sleeps with his Crazy-ex and realizes post-coitally that "Yup, she really is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend!".

I can't wait for the 2nd season. :allears:

EDIT: They're all broken inside*.

*except Daryl.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
And White Josh.

Their Ship Name according to a Random Tumblr Blog that I agree with is WhiteWhite.

• Locked thread