Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The more I play it and start to get better at it, the more I am coming to believe the Surcouf is a legit excellent sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One thing I feel that hurts the game is that several things aren't well explained. There are very few guides on Steam explaining disguise and spotting but it wouldve been nice if people were making more in depth guides about the ships and commanders. Much of what I learned was from Mazz carefully explaining something.

I've seen other games where every detail is exhaustively explained , and I figured this game would attract pretty spergy people that like to go into it.

A guy on the Steam forums gave a rundown of most of the premium ships, but even his evaluation was just based on raw numbers and not how fun these ships are to play. I see a lot of Carolina projects and according to this guy they're terrible but maybe some people like having 3 superfiring fore turrets?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He was also kind of dumb and said stuff like 'Oh the Portland' (a Northhampton that trades better armor, better speed, and better firerate for slightly less spotting) 'Is a terrible ship'.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I lul, I die, I lul again.

I live again!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Night10194 posted:

He was also kind of dumb and said stuff like 'Oh the Portland' (a Northhampton that trades better armor, better speed, and better firerate for slightly less spotting) 'Is a terrible ship'.

He thought all the premium us cruisers were terrible because us cruisers to him were terrible and he thought the premiums were a step down. He thought the premium IJN cruisers weren't worth it because he thinks the IJN cruisers are so superior why bother spending $40 to get something slightly less awesome?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

He thought all the premium us cruisers were terrible because us cruisers to him were terrible and he thought the premiums were a step down. He thought the premium IJN cruisers weren't worth it because he thinks the IJN cruisers are so superior why bother spending $40 to get something slightly less awesome?

Is there a fleet carrier in the normal tree then like the oyodo? Or did his spergness miss the aircraft deck on it and just based on the (admittedly terrible) guns?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Confederate in an Admiral Hipper.

Two signs of terrible in one man.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I could see Oyodo being useful for scout planes, AA, speed, and being a hybrid. Even a subpar CL mashed into a subpar carrier still makes a unique ship, especially if you can take them in fleet battles.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You could maybe bring an Oyodo if you wanted something to kill lots of planes, it has some advantages compared to the other options for that. Unfortunately the guns put out destroyer amounts of damage, but at least it's a fast boat that can AA lots of planes and maybe land a torpedo bomber on something.

The BBV is just a Nagato Proto (minus some armor, but the Nagato Proto didn't have armor anyway) with half a carrier taped to the back. The Nagato Proto is a terrible battleship for tier 6 but I would probably rather have eight Nagato Protos and four carriers than eight Pennsylvanias and no carriers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Apparently on the Chinese server they are capping reload to a max of +75 as opposed to the tryhard poopsock potential of 98%.

They're also going to eventually give decent rewards for scenario mode. Scenario mode is fun but it takes a while to get enough people.

BigHarold is having a meltdown over the reload cap because apparently he blew qualification points on Kondo, Lief and Mueller and is screaming for a full refund of the points he feels he wasted (de-rating a sailor won't get you all the points back).

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 19, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Apparently on the Chinese server they are capping reload to a max of +75 as opposed to the tryhard poopsock potential of 98%.

They're also going to eventually give decent rewards for scenario mode. Scenario mode is fun but it takes a while to get enough people.

BigHarold is having a meltdown over the reload cap because apparently he blew qualification points on Kondo, Lief and Mueller and is screaming for a full refund of the points he feels he wasted (de-rating a sailor won't get you all the points back).

That's good that they are going to make scenario mode worthwhile. It's nice for a change of pace but without some actual rewards that are even close to a normal battle, there's no point. The idea is decent, the execution is lagging (ie, no Atlanta's vs Kagero's, seriously).

Nice, that sounds ridiculous. Sorry, your build is no longer as amazing as it once was, at no point in any MMO should that result in a full refund (so you can move on to the next build). 75% reload is still a fuckton. Commanders are the one area where shoveling gold has a clear advantage already, and even without doing that the difference between a new players commanders and someone who has been here 5 months (me) is so huge that they really do need to find a good balance where new players aren't at such a huge disadvantage. Especially given how little the game explains things like scouting/disguise. I swear once I finally got Kaspar Mass I suddenly knew way more about scouting and most importantly when to not fire because I actually hadn't been seen, and that was only 2 weeks ago.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Wait how do you even get to 98% with only 5 crewmen? 45 from quickload, but the other 48 I'm not seeing.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazz posted:

Wait how do you even get to 98% with only 5 crewmen? 45 from quickload, but the other 48 I'm not seeing. Lutjens cancels the quickload, and Halsey is loving weird.

Ambidexterity. I imagine someone on the Chinese server figured out how to use Kurita's legendary ability to basically machine-gun as long as they were swapping HE/AP each shot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

Ambidexterity. I imagine someone on the Chinese server figured out how to use Kurita's legendary ability to basically machine-gun as long as they were swapping HE/AP each shot.

Oh.

Well thats actually cool but considering he's a 5 star requirement on a guy that starts at 1 star, I'm not real concerned it's going to ever be an issue over here.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Intentional :smugdog: double post. Slim asked for this one.

Forgot to get the summary screen but it was around 22k spotting on top of the personal, which is where the crazy XP total comes from.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was going to ask how the hell they let you do that much damage and then I saw Ganja Joe with 3 deaths in his DD.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

I was going to ask how the hell they let you do that much damage and then I saw Ganja Joe with 3 deaths in his DD.

Yeah I did 11000 just to him including not one but two random spread torpedo hits, he shot me back a grand total of like 2 times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really odd to me that Deepwaterafro, Ganja Joe, and Drac0 exist. Like, I get Sattanicom. DDs are a high skill unit that's really hard to play and you'd expect to see guys who have played it hard and a crazy number of times at high tiers. But almost every high T DD I see is more like those three chuckle-fucks and runs around missing my Surcouf with torpedoes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mazz posted:

Wait how do you even get to 98% with only 5 crewmen? 45 from quickload, but the other 48 I'm not seeing.

A lot of things add up:

Shell hoist is 10%
Lief at 4 stars and level 10 in gunner position is 20% (10 from his 4 star ability and 10 from 200 Battle Power in gunner slot) passive increased reload alone
Three guys get +3% at 4 stars or less as well.
Kondo at the helm for Quickload and State of War coughs up another 55%.

So even before that Abidexterity gimmick you could get about 94% with everything active. Even if State of War/Quickload wasn't active you're still looking at 39% faster firing all the time. And you don't even have to get anybody to Legendary for this (I think).

Geez, could you imagine this on something like an Atlanta? Your guns are literally firing as fast as most AA guns. Just a continuous hose of 5" shells spewing out.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 19, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
You'd run out of ammo a minute into a match in the Atlanta.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At a certain point your fire rate is limited by needing to re-tighten the crosshairs or you aren't hitting poo poo, mind.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vatek posted:

You'd run out of ammo a minute into a match in the Atlanta.

I think it would be worth it on the Battle Summary to see that the enemy Wyoming or whatever died from 3,000 shell hits.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:negative:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
How does this happen

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Pensacola and Nevada gaining the exact same XP and doing the exact same damage (0) is amazing. Clicking on botes is very hard indeed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How does this happen

There are actual pubbies who will not let the crosshair tighten before firing artillery ships.

I do not know how they function.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Night10194 posted:

There are actual pubbies who will not let the crosshair tighten before firing artillery ships.

I do not know how they function.

5,000 games later, they emerge from their cocoon and another Westley is born.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Groggy, what commanders do you use on your subs? I don't think I have many good ones yet, but wanted to know what I should target.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Pervis posted:

Groggy, what commanders do you use on your subs? I don't think I have many good ones yet, but wanted to know what I should target.

Doenitz4*, Luckner4*, Musel5*(lol), Arashi(4* gives extra torp speed which makes him better for subs than Kazuo), and I switch between Dudley Morton3* and Erich Raeder3* depending on my mood.

Luckner and Musel go on my everything though, they are just that good.

Also there is a new event, kill a T3 or higher DD every day for 4x VIP matches. Pretty good for artificially extending VIP time if you claim it right before you log out for the night.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 20, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Groggy nard posted:

Doenitz4*, Luckner4*, Musel5*(lol), Arashi(4* gives extra torp speed which makes him better for subs than Kazuo), and I switch between Dudley Morton3* and Erich Raeder3* depending on my mood.

Also there is a new event, kill a T3 or higher DD every day for 4x VIP matches. Pretty good for artificially extending VIP time if you claim it right before you log out for the night.

Holy hell, that's over 5000 qualification points worth of upgrades. How did you get so many? Ive earned probably half that (Macmillan and Doolittle at 4 stars)

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

Thanks. I got Dudley Morton a couple days ago, and already have Luckner*3, Musel*4, and Arashi*3 (still). Raeder I've got and am in the process of of leveling slowly with my subs. Doenitz is the big one I'm missing, but in general I'm horrible on 3-stars and have nothing past that besides that fucker Clarkson.

That event is pretty nice at least for me, so I can hop in to my high tier ships in the morning the next day to to get 4x with that and the triple).

Just got a 7/8 game with 1 CV, 4 BB, and 1 DD on their side, and 1 BB, 1 CA, 1 DD (me) and 2 subs on our side. I wrecked their DD, our sub/BB went around the area and found and kill their CV who was being smart with planes. Our SoDak decides that capping is a better idea than just mercilessly slaughtering their remaining 3 BB's (our hero sub died, as did our CA) while I or our sub spots.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The ultimate killsteal: Killed all 3 enemy ships on the team, two of which died from a single last hit by me :slick:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Last night in a 5v5 with the I-1 I torp'd a DD while ramming a submerged sub to death, surfaced to ram a second DD (finished him with guns at point blank), then chased and rammed a second submerged sub to death who had been attempting to torp me while I rammed the DD - killing both of us. My team hosed off to somewhere during all this and failed to land a hit on any other of them.

I lost. My entire team died to a lone South Carolina beached on an island. Including our other sub.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Warbadger posted:

Last night in a 5v5 with the I-1 I torp'd a DD while ramming a submerged sub to death, surfaced to ram a second DD (finished him with guns at point blank), then chased and rammed a second submerged sub to death who had been attempting to torp me while I rammed the DD - killing both of us. My team hosed off to somewhere during all this and failed to land a hit on any other of them.

I lost. My entire team died to a lone South Carolina beached on an island. Including our other sub.

Night time games lately have been horrible, especially at lower levels. I had similar experiences in subs last night and the night before. I sunk a Porter, Laforey, QE, and another I-19 in my I-19 (after crashing mid game while turning at low speed post-ramming kill of the sub, found myself spinning in circles but still completely alive), but eventually ran out of torps trying to sink another sub and chasing down a Revenge. I did more damage than my entire team combined and nearly MVP while losing. Next game is a night battle, I'm in a Cachalot and the same squad with the Porter is on the other team. I kill the Porter again, a sub, and chase down/spot the enemy team, but eventually lose to a cap since the rest of my team can't aim and gets picked off, and I can't shake off hostile airplanes without an AA gun and our carrier can't hit poo poo and decides that putting fighters over the capping Pensacola is a good plan, rather than hitting him with anything.

New Monthly routine event popped, for a 3-star that's all CV skills, chance to increase aircraft speed/maneuver by 5% when an aircraft is destroyed by the enemy, 2% dodge, and 10% fighter damage, with an activated skill that increases aircraft dodge rate by 20% for 60 seconds. Overall looks pretty decent, especially the fighter damage and speed/maneuver boost. No hawkeye though.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 21, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really like the Ise BBV. It's very versatile and I enjoy shooting and torpedo bombing enemy battleships at the same time. You can also take tons of Scouts, and there's always fighters to keep enemy scouts down.

I also got a guy that gets 100m out of the gate. Think I'll upgrade Ricardi so I can get 150+150+150+500+100 meters bonus vision on my destroyers; 1050 total isn't bad considering it didn't need anyone getting to four stars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Surcouf possesses maximal levels of honhon.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Surcouf possesses maximal levels of honhon.

The word you're looking for is elan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Log082 posted:

The word you're looking for is elan.

Elan is when I use the guns. Honhon is when I sneak around, torpedoing BBs and stealing caps.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Doenitz is by far the best sub commander, the other four star guys are good but don't offer as much. Though I wouldn't mind getting a guy with +8% torpedo reload in the gunner slot.

Right now I'm running Doenitz, Raeder, Luckner, Horton, and Schneider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Despite playing poorly in teams all day I decided to solopub for a bit and like five matches in a row were like this for me

Dunking on Poopsock Prime is a good way to finish the night.

• Locked thread