Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Welcome to new home, Mindo! If only all pet animals had people as responsible as your former (and present) people.

PS I would pitch in toward an account for Mindo's adoptive parent(s?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Shirec posted:

I don't use too much of a firm schedule, I know some of the other conure owners here do. I use pellets in their main food dish, and a side of fresh fruits/veggies (most of the time which is chop) and a few seeds/peanut butter for treats on rare occassion. I also make birdy bread with corn muffins, pellets ground in, and shredded veggies/baby food for my more stubborn conure that won't eat chop. Other treats are sliced apple, dried fruit of any kind, broccoli, popcorn, banana, and nuts.

I give them the fresh food in the morning and then change it out again when I get home from work. It's kind of a feel your way out kind of thing, my one bird goes nuts for chop and won't eat birdy bread, the other is the exact opposite. I did get a food processor though, just cause I'm lazy and it's way easier to make chopped veggies that way.

Awesome...that's about what I was thinking overall doing. Good to know I am thinking somewhat along the right lines.

Anything in general you found your conures just said "hell no" to re: eating like certain brands or foods etc? I'd rather have an idea so I don't get baby something that they are probably going to turn their beak up at.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Disco Salmon posted:

Awesome...that's about what I was thinking overall doing. Good to know I am thinking somewhat along the right lines.

Anything in general you found your conures just said "hell no" to re: eating like certain brands or foods etc? I'd rather have an idea so I don't get baby something that they are probably going to turn their beak up at.

Hmmm... a lot of it depends on personality. My Nanday will eat anything I'm eating, to the point of trying to get it out of my mouth, so it's easy to get her to try new things, except for chop cause I don't really want to eat it, haha. I've noticed my birds tend to have a difficulty threshold that they won't cross. Really hard things, like carrots, my GCC won't eat much of unless I processed it, because he can't bite into it easily. Leafy things are usually a miss, and they like things they can hold a whole lot. I had a hard time switching the GCC to a new pellet type so I just went back to Roudybush, which is what he was raised on. The Nanday I had to convert from seeds, which took a month or two. Seeds they are way less preferential about, except for pumpkin seeds. I only use those very rarely though.

A lot of times, it's just about persistence. Find a way to mix in things they like and get them to try new things along with it. My Nanday won't eat chop? Fine, I put a lot of extras into her corn muffins so she get's veggies/fruit on the sly, and I still load chop into her treat cup. Definitely start small, don't go overboard until you know they like it. I bought an assload of kale once and both my birds won't eat it. You want to focus on veggies more than fruit though, I try and limit them now because it's more of a treat. You can also try lightly cooking the veggies and see if that helps. Once you get a better idea, you can start mixing and matching what they like. When I started making chop, I used beans as my base, and they skipped that over. I know now they like rice more.

It ends up being fun though, they have such different personalities and trying to figure out ways to get them to try and enjoy things feels awesome when it works. I will never forget the first time I had my GCC try a strawberry.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

((((grab))))

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

More like ((((shove)))).

Zuz was in a mood today.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

There was identifying stuff in the bg so I gave it a new one

I do indeed have a bird on my head in my FB profile

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
my friends and family oddly like my bird posts on facebook even less than my incredibly vitriolic political posts

I don't give a gently caress though so I made my profile pic a picture of griddle

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mirthless posted:

my friends and family oddly like my bird posts on facebook even less than my incredibly vitriolic political posts

I don't give a gently caress though so I made my profile pic a picture of griddle

My current facebook profile pic:

Yep, that's a Ritz eyeball/phone attack.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Hey do any birbthread goons know of a vet that's good with birds (or even just cockatiels I don't need someone who knows the intricacies of spaying a hyacinth macaw or whatever) in the area of Durango, CO or even as far from there as Pagosa Springs? I'm not finding any on the specific AAV search thing, and figured I'd take the long shot and ask.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
Meet Goose. I talked about bringing home a GCC in this thread a few months back, and I've had him for about 3 weeks. Been busy with work a things. Great bird, I love him.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:neckbeard: Lookit that wetbird

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Mr.Boofu posted:

Meet Goose. I talked about bringing home a GCC in this thread a few months back, and I've had him for about 3 weeks. Been busy with work a things. Great bird, I love him.

Looks like a happy lil waterbirb :) Very handsome lil guy!

ohkay
Jul 26, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/science/parrots-the-highlight-reel.html

I am really jealous of the video editors who "had" to go through hundreds of parrot videos to make this.

Also, money quote from 1877: “There are few persons or things that are more objectionable than the parrot,” the article began.
The editorial continued, “That offensive style of bird is either kept by misanthropic old ladies or by malignant persons with a special grudge against their neighbors.”

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ohkay posted:

I am really jealous of the video editors who "had" to go through hundreds of parrot videos to make this.

Also, money quote from 1877: “There are few persons or things that are more objectionable than the parrot,” the article began.
The editorial continued, “That offensive style of bird is either kept by misanthropic old ladies or by malignant persons with a special grudge against their neighbors.”
Ahaha the cockatoo that just barks at the dog and keeps on going about its business just killed me.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

ohkay posted:

I almost woke the husband up from laughing at "What the hell was that!?"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I transcribed the 1877 editorial because it's way too good to miss, it starts out spittin mad and then makes a sharp left into crazytown. Sorry for any mistypes.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1877/09/29/80663314.html?pageNumber=4
originally published Sept. 29, 1877

quote:

PARROTS.

There are few persons or things that are more objectionable than the parrot. In the first place, considered merely as a bird, there is altogether too much of him. The graceful little canary in this delicate wire cage is a thing of beauty even in the eyes of the cold and cynical cat, but the large and gaudy parrot in his immense tin penitentiary is about as unfit to ornament a room as would be a savings bank President dressed in a red coat and yellow trousers and confined in a large meat-safe hung on the side of the wall. The parrot would not seem to be so offensively large were it not for his wretched taste in dress. The more colors that perverse bird can heap upon himself the better is he pleased, and his especial fondness for red, yellow, and green, is the unmistakable mark of a low and vulgar nature. Everybody knows that he cannot sing. Indeed, the parrot admits this himself, and devotes all his energies to the imitation of the language of other animals. There is no doubt that he is a good linguist, but he grossly perverts his natural abilities. Hundreds of parrots have learned to speak the cat, the human, and the horse languages, together with half a dozen different dog dialects, but what use have they ever made of these accomplishments? Has a parrot ever translated the remarks of the cat in regard to the family mice into the language of the householder, so that the latter could more effectually lay his places for the extermination of the mice? or has any parrot thought of repeating to the cat the threats that he may have overheard certain disreputable dogs make in reference to her? The parrot scorns any really useful action of this kind. His highest ambition is to try to imitate some human being whose conversation may have made an impression upon him, and, as a rule, he selects for repetition the most silly and objectionable remarks that his model makes. It appears to be the conviction of nearly every parrot that every one whom he meets is an erring Southern citizen, who needs to be conciliated by a series of disconnected platitudes. The effect upon the average man is maddening to the last degree, and it is noticeable that no really kind-hearted and genial person ever keeps a parrot. That offensive style of bird is either kept by misanthropic old ladies or by malignant persons with a special grudge against their neighbors. A good man would no more dream of keeping a parrot than he would of keeping a Postmaster-General addicted to making a few humorous remarks every five or ten minutes during the day; and an intelligent man would sooner listen to an open-air performance by a peripatetic Administration than come within hearing of a parrot of any species whatever.

Mr. W. B. COOPER, of Philadelphia, is either a sanguine philanthropist or a peculiarly ingenious misanthropist, for the two resemble one another so closely that in many cases the differences are imperceptible. Mr. COOPER thinks that the parrot's abilities as a linguist can be greatly developed by education, and he proposes to establish a university for the exclusive education of parrots. It is his opinion that what parrots need is not strychnine or the wringing of their detestable necks, but "intellectual environment." In order to demonstrate the correctness of this view he intends to collect a large number of intelligent parrots, and give them daily lessons by competent masters. Parrots of all ages will be admitted, and there will be infant classes for newly-fledged parrots, as well as classes in languages, grammar, and rhetoric for adult parrots. Frequent examinations will be held, and those parrots who, either because of natural stupidity or willful neglect of study, are unable to pass the examinations will be dismissed. Thus, in the upper classes there will be none but able and learned parrots, and their associations with one another and with Mr. COOPER and his competent masters will constitute the "intelligent environment" of which Mr. COOPER speaks. He cherishes the belief that parrots can be taught to converse as well as the average barber, and to make public speeches that will compare favorably with those of conciliatory Cabinet officers. Very possibly his hopes may be fully accomplished, but it is hardly necessary to say that the world would scarcely gain thereby.

It will be noticed that Mr. COOPER says nothing whatever in regard to the care which will be given to the morals of the parrots of his university. The inference is that his teaching will be strictly secular, and will have nothing whatever to do with morals. His parrots will sit at their desks and pursue their purely intellectual studies, while their morals will be totally neglected. The result will be inevitable. Bad as the ignorant parrot is, the educated parrot will be far worse. Whereas, the parrot in his normal condition is notoriously profane, and much given to repeating the Swinburnian language of the forecastle, the cultured parrot will adopt other and even more detestable vices. If he is taught to speak with fluency and coherence, what is there to prevent him from becoming a confirmed and habitual lawyer, and arguing in open court the insanity of murderers, or convincing intelligent juries that a life of chronic banking necessarily renders a man morally irresponsible for his acts? How are we to prevent educated parrots from entering the ministry--especially since women have already led the way--and preaching voluble sermons setting forth the beauties of some new religion, or demonstrating that blue tailfeathers are among the vestments which a parrot minister may lawfully wear? Worse than all, we shall find it impossible to keep parrots out of Congress. They will point to this able advocate of the silver dollar, or that bold supporter of the right of the working man to regulate his wages by the weight of his bludgeon, and will triumphantly ask if an educated feathered parrot is not the peer of these human statesmen. Having thus put us to shame and silence, the parrots will win votes by the charm of their natural powers, and will crowd the paths to political preferment. We shall have a Congress of unprincipled parrots voting themselves enormous quantities of crackers, and constantly delivering interminable speeches full of glittering and sounding generalities concerning the beauties of lump sugar and the virtues and wants of the parrot race.

Something ought to be done to Mr. COOPER, and the conviction will soon become general that it should be done with a club of a heavy mallet. This nation is already nearly talked to death. What with its politicians, its lecturers, its barbers, and its professional men, it suffers from talk to an extent unparalleled in history. And yet this remorseless COOPER would deliberately induce parrots to add their talk to the deluge of gabble which is overwhelming us. Beyond a doubt, Mr. COOPER is a bold, bad man, and the public will fail in its duty if it permits him to open his parrot university. He ought to be shut up in a small room with a dozen parrots and half a dozen veteran barbers. Twenty-four hours of this would be quite enough. At the end of that time Mr. COOPER'S remains could be given to some medical college. The parrots and the barbers would be left a few hours longer to emulate the excellent example of the Kilkenny cats, and the scheme of educating parrots be thus signally frustrated, to the great good of the nation and of mankind.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has developed a habit of taking a bath while we're making dinner and then getting really agitated because we won't pick her up while we're working over a stove and then eating!

I can dry you off real quick birb, but it'll only work once and you won't like it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I transcribed the 1877 editorial because it's way too good to miss, it starts out spittin mad and then makes a sharp left into crazytown. Sorry for any mistypes.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1877/09/29/80663314.html?pageNumber=4
Holy poo poo :stare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
How are we to prevent educated parrots from entering the ministry--especially since women have already led the way--and preaching voluble sermons setting forth the beauties of some new religion, or demonstrating that blue tailfeathers are among the vestments which a parrot minister may lawfully wear?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I am glad lovebirds are not good at speaking, because otherwise Toast would be much given to repeating the Swinburnian language of the forecastle

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Having thus put us to shame and silence, the parrots will win votes by the charm of their natural powers, and will crowd the paths to political preferment. We shall have a Congress of unprincipled parrots voting themselves enormous quantities of crackers, and constantly delivering interminable speeches full of glittering and sounding generalities concerning the beauties of lump sugar and the virtues and wants of the parrot race.

Taco for Prime Minister 2016 :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

holy poo poo this person has put far too much effort and thought into hating parrots

I picture their study with photos of birds and feathers and scientific articles and newspaper clippings, all pinned all over the walls, all connected via red thread.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Taco for Prime Minister 2016 :kimchi:

(((Cornpop))) for some, (((miniature australian flags))) for others

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am glad lovebirds are not good at speaking, because otherwise Toast would be much given to repeating the Swinburnian language of the forecastle

Not that I'm in a place to own birds, but Toast has slowly sold me on the idea of getting a lovebird for a first bird, perhaps. I guess thatd be pretty far off in the future.

ohkay
Jul 26, 2013

quote:

It appears to be the conviction of nearly every parrot that every one whom he meets is an erring Southern citizen, who needs to be conciliated by a series of disconnected platitudes.

Ooh someone wasn't over the Civil War~

quote:

convincing intelligent juries that a life of chronic banking necessarily renders a man morally irresponsible for his acts

So, whose bird is responsible for "too big to fail"? Fess up.

ohkay
Jul 26, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

(((Cornpop))) for some, (((miniature australian flags))) for others

A chicken in every pot

Er...

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm interested in getting a bird, most likely a cockatiel. How bad is the pooping? Do they generally have a preferred area, or will I have to just keep a rag and some cleaner handy? I personally don't mind doing some cleaning, but I'm not sure my boyfriend would be wild about poop all over the furniture.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel it would be a great travesty if I didn't mention that one of the names of the birds in that video was the perfect bird name.

Squawkamole.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elderbean posted:

I'm interested in getting a bird, most likely a cockatiel. How bad is the pooping? Do they generally have a preferred area, or will I have to just keep a rag and some cleaner handy? I personally don't mind doing some cleaning, but I'm not sure my boyfriend would be wild about poop all over the furniture.

Supposedly they can be potty trained, but I haven't put any effort into that myself, so don't know how hard or easy it is.

They will generally poo poo on anything below good perching spots, but not while their butt is touching something.

Cockatiel droppings (from healthy birds) are reasonably easy to remove, especially if you notice them quickly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My Quaker is kinda neurotic and not particularly trainable, but even she just got into the habit of flying back to her cage to poop unless she's having too much fun hanging out on a shoulder. But last time she started learning to do this, we clipped her wings because leaving her flighted led to too much aggression. I'm going to leave her flighted for now and see how it goes.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Elderbean posted:

Even if they do poop on the furniture, a quick wipe of a papertowel and it's gone. Bird poop doesn't have the same bacteria as mammalian crap. Really, the messiest part of owning a bird is sweeping up the food they throw out of their cage.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Official Bizness posted:

Really, the messiest part of owning a bird is sweeping up the food they throw out of their cage.
So goddamn true :argh: At least my idiot cat eats some of it (yeah I don't know wtf either)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"HEY HUMAN GIMME SOME OF THAT loving WATERMELON YOU MOTHERFUCKER"

*takes one bite and drops the rest on the floor*

"HEY GIVE ME ANOTHER PIECE YOU gently caress"

isak terrible
Apr 19, 2016
If you're really concerned about bird poop, buy Poop Off for the dried-in stuff and keep paper towels handy for the fresh stuff. Bird poop is honestly not very messy at all and it only starts to stink if you're a huge goon and let it pile up. Otherwise, it's p. innocent.

Als, hi Bird Crazies, long time, no see! I finally re-registered. If anyone has trouble remembering who I am, these are my birds:

Eris Pineapple (pineapple morph GCC), Gnosis and Hubris (English budgies).

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Echo is finally settling in and my god is s/he a firecracker. Fuji is teaching her/him all his favorite tricks. Echo's also figured out that it really annoys Fuji if s/he sits in his favorite spot in the cage, so s/he's been doing that nonstop, which is hilarious to watch. Fuji just sits there and whines.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Eris Pineapple and Gnosis! Is Hubris new?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Any tips for encouraging the flock of ringnecks who fly over my house to come down and be my friends?

isak terrible
Apr 19, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Eris Pineapple and Gnosis! Is Hubris new?

Nope! He's always been here, we got him and Gnosis together to be bonded pals. Eris is the new kid.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tsaedje posted:

Any tips for encouraging the flock of ringnecks who fly over my house to come down and be my friends?

Food and patience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Caught Inko sleeping inside the paper bag I gave him at the bottom of his cage :kimchi:

mikerock posted:

I do indeed have a bird on my head in my FB profile

Ground control to Major Bird....

It was astronaut, or wizard, since that stick on the box looks like a staff that he's holding

Mr.Boofu posted:

That's a good idea with the tub and mat in the sink, and cute new birb :3:

isak terrible posted:

If you're really concerned about bird poop, buy Poop Off for the dried-in stuff and keep paper towels handy for the fresh stuff. Bird poop is honestly not very messy at all and it only starts to stink if you're a huge goon and let it pile up. Otherwise, it's p. innocent.

Als, hi Bird Crazies, long time, no see! I finally re-registered. If anyone has trouble remembering who I am, these are my birds:

Eris Pineapple (pineapple morph GCC), Gnosis and Hubris (English budgies).

Hello again ex illustrated avian. How have you been doing regarding taming Eris? Also look at the size of that massive budgie/tiny conure!